CONFIRMED - Oriol Romeu joins on 3-Year Deal

Saint-Armstrong

Good spot sir. Knew I'd miss at least one 1st team squad regular :)

That second XI of subs wouldn't be a bad team.

Gazzaniga; Martina, Caulker, Yoshida, Targett; Ward-Prowse, Reed; Juanmi, S.Davis, Long; Rodriguez

I think we now have the best depth we've ever had in the Premier League.

Edited by Matthew Le God

if true...

in

Romeu £4.0 mil

Juanmi £4.0 mil

Cedric £4.7 mil

Martina £1.0 mil

Clasie £8.0 mil

Stek LOAN

Caulker LOAN

TOTAL £22.7 mil

out

Clyne £12.5 mil

Schneiderlin £25.0 mil

Alderweireld

TOTAL £37.5 mil

----

REMAINING KITTY : £14.8 mil

Seems like a good amount left for Van Dijk.

Then, Les Reed can go on a well deserved Holiday with by all accounts a stronger squad (IMO) and no money spent to get it.

Assuming that Caulker is going to get regular football and the fact that this guy can play at CB if required, I'm not sure we'll go for VvD. As things stand there's a few clubs interested in Virgil and Celtic will hold out for the highest bidder. I could see a price war between Sunderland, Newcastle, Everton and ourselves and we've never been a club to get involved in that nonsense. We'll have a figure that we're prepared to go to but will walk away if it all starts to get out of hand.

I reckon light bends around you.

Could be possible that its 2 from 3 of Clasie, Romeu and Wanyama rather than all of them playing.

Still room for a player like Davis if played in front of a more solid base.

Given that Clasie has a 5 year deal and of all the signings we've made, he's the most likely to need a season to adjust and spend time doing what he needs to do to face up to the physicality of the league. I wouldn't be surprised to see him below Romeu, Wanyama and Davis for the season ahead.

Ha! One of the most misunderstood Shakespeare quotes.

In the context, 'wherefore?' actually roughly translates as 'why?'. (Juliet is musing about why she had to fall in love with Romeo as opposed to someone more 'suitable'. She is not, as many would believe, leaning over the balcony and asking where he is).

I teach some Shakespeare to my Norwegian students and when we get to that phrase, I point out to them that they are more likely to understand it than the average English student, as the Norwegian word for why is still "hvorfor", which translates directly as wherefore. They automatically see it as why".

I'm still trying to figure out how A Midsummer Night's Dream qualifies as a comedy.

It's because, like all Shakespearean comedies, it has a happy ending. In Shakespeare plays this is almost always a wedding, like in A Midsummer Night's Dream. The alternative is a tragedy, in which the title character always dies, which is a bit of a spoiler for Hamlet, Macbeth, Romeo and Juliet etc.

Was thinking the same. Something like this as our strongest starting 11...?

----------- Steklenberg ---------------

Cedric - Fonte - VvD (stc) - Bertrand

----- Romeu -------- Wanyama ------

-------------- Clasie -------------------

-- Mane -----------------Jrod/Tadic* --

-------------- Pelle ---------------------

Bench (7 from 10): Gazza, Caulker, Yoshida, Martina, JWP, Davis, Reed, Juanmi, Long, Tadic/JRod*

(*can't choose between these two)

Salivating.

Clasie running the show, distributing

Romeu and Wanyma ruling the MF

Fonte and VvD strong last line of defense

Cedric and Bertrand bombing down the wings

Mane, Pelle and JRod/Tadic doing what they do

bench

2 - offensive super sub options galore (choose from : Long, Juanmi, Tadic/Jrod)

1 - backup GK (choose from : Gazza, Forster)

2 - DF (choose from: Caulker, Yoshida, Targett, Martina)

2 - MF ( choose from: Davis, JWProwse, Reed)

It's funny, I had a feeling last night that a signing might be announced today. This looks like a good bit of business and further more, it demonstrates how the club conduct their business behind the scenes and out of the eyes of the press. Log onto the Sky website and you'll see pretty much every club in the Premiership linked with different players on a daily basis, but Saints are the one club that you don't tend to hear too many rumours about. This is another fine example of this. I don't think we've been linked with Romeu in any press articles? The first we've heard of this is on the day that he's having a medical and is set to sign. This also demonstrates how we shouldn't get all panicky when every other club is being linked with players and we're not. Just because we're not on the back pages being linked with players doesn't mean that we're not working behind the scenes to bring people in.

Given that Clasie has a 5 year deal and of all the signings we've made, he's the most likely to need a season to adjust and spend time doing what he needs to do to face up to the physicality of the league. I wouldn't be surprised to see him below Romeu, Wanyama and Davis for the season ahead.

Guess you're right. Besides that, playing with 3 DM's and 4 defenders is a bit over the top. I know Koeman likes to think from a defensive point of view but this would get really boring to look at. Romeu will do a good job for the Saints but personally I would prefer a more creative midfielder in order to support the attackers in a better way.

Edited by van Hanegem

Good player, he was played quite a bit under Vias-Boas iirc, but then he had that nasty knee injury and never really came back to Chelsea's first team. I don't think he was too bad for them when he played, he became a constant. Always seemed to put in a good shift. He came to chelsea with a huge reputation and has had a very successful loan spell in Germany.

This is a good value deal and adds immense depth to the squad.

if true...

in

Romeu £4.0 mil

Juanmi £4.0 mil

Cedric £4.7 mil

Martina £1.0 mil

Clasie £8.0 mil

Stek LOAN

Caulker LOAN

TOTAL £22.7 mil

out

Clyne £12.5 mil

Schneiderlin £25.0 mil

Alderweireld

TOTAL £37.5 mil

----

Then, Les Reed can go on a well deserved Holiday with by all accounts a stronger squad (IMO) and no money spent to get it.

You have omitted the 2m we got from Madrid for Toby's buy back

It's funny, I had a feeling last night that a signing might be announced today. This looks like a good bit of business and further more, it demonstrates how the club conduct their business behind the scenes and out of the eyes of the press. Log onto the Sky website and you'll see pretty much every club in the Premiership linked with different players on a daily basis, but Saints are the one club that you don't tend to hear too many rumours about. This is another fine example of this. I don't think we've been linked with Romeu in any press articles? The first we've heard of this is on the day that he's having a medical and is set to sign. This also demonstrates how we shouldn't get all panicky when every other club is being linked with players and we're not. Just because we're not on the back pages being linked with players doesn't mean that we're not working behind the scenes to bring people in.

We've been linked with a massive amount of players.

if true...

in

Romeu £4.0 mil

Juanmi £4.0 mil

Cedric £4.7 mil

Martina £1.0 mil

Clasie £8.0 mil

Stek LOAN

Caulker LOAN

TOTAL £22.7 mil

out

Clyne £12.5 mil

Schneiderlin £25.0 mil

Alderweireld

TOTAL £37.5 mil

----

Don't forget the Cork money and the fact that money for a CB would have probably been budgeted from last season's transfer activity.

if true...

in

Romeu £4.0 mil

Juanmi £4.0 mil

Cedric £4.7 mil

Martina £1.0 mil

Clasie £8.0 mil

Stek LOAN

Caulker LOAN

TOTAL £22.7 mil

out

Clyne £12.5 mil

Schneiderlin £25.0 mil

Alderweireld

TOTAL £37.5 mil

----

That is a decent window by all accounts on paper, just remains to be seen how our Schneiderlin-less team performs in the long term!

Net transfer spend is one of my pet hates. It's nonsense. We spent 30m on a training ground, that didn't come from nowhere. We are quite possibly over provisioned on wages and making some of that up with yearly transfer profit. We just don't know so to suggest you take the out's, then minus the ins and the rest of the money is just sat waiting to be spent is nonsense.

We've been linked with a massive amount of players.

Have we? Who? I don't think we have. Nobody had linked us with Romeu. I check Sky sports and the BBC websites on a daily basis and we're one of the least mentioned teams on there. Sure, if you look at transfer rumour websites then I'm sure we're mentioned on a regular basis but those sites are a load of ********. I'm sure they simply create rumours in the hope that a percentage of them will come good. Clubs like Stoke, Villa, Palace, Newcastle seemed to be mentioned on the SKY site every day and with every player that's available. Even if you look at the regional papers round-up on the SKY sports page there is rarely anything about Saints in there. There's often more from the likes of Reading, Bolton and Derby than Saints.

Edited by Sidney Fudpucker the 3rd

Guess you're right. Besides that, playing with 3 DM's and 4 defenders is a bit over the top. I know Koeman likes to think from a defensive point of view but this would get really boring to look at. Romeu will do a good job for the Saints but personally I would prefer a more creative midfielder in order to support the attackers in a better way.

It's not that much different from how we set up with Schneiderlin and Wanyama. How did RK do things with Feyenoord?

The question is whether the two DMs -and from what I've seen of Romeu, he's even more defensive than Wanyama- allows us to roll the dice a bit more with the third CM, whether we have to go with Davis and JWP.

Have we? Who? I don't think we have. Nobody had linked us with Romeu. I check Sky sports and the BBC websites on a daily basis and we're one of the least mentioned teams on there. Other clubs like Stoke, Villa, Palace, Newcastle seemed to be mentioned every day and with every player that's available.

We've been linked with a lot of players, but it's telling that most of our deals have come completely out of nowhere. Cedric, Juanmi, Martina and Romeu. None of them really linked with us until they were having medicals.

It's pretty clear the majority of links are fuelled by agents getting their clients' names in the press, rather than there being genuine interest from our end

Have we? Who? I don't think we have. Nobody had linked us with Romeu. I check Sky sports and the BBC websites on a daily basis and we're one of the least mentioned teams on there. Other clubs like Stoke, Villa, Palace, Newcastle seemed to be mentioned every day and with every player that's available.

Well masses this summer but off the top of my head: song, vilhena, that bloke from Barcelona that villa just signed, Austin, krychowiak, chambers, Elia, praet, imbula, gueye, vlarr, benassi.

That's only the ones I remember.

Was thinking the same. Something like this as our strongest starting 11...?

----------- Steklenberg --------------- GK

Cedric - Fonte - VvD (stc) - Bertrand DEF

----- Romeu -------- Wanyama ------ DM

-------------- Clasie ------------------- CM

-- Mane -----------------Jrod/Tadic* -- AM

-------------- Pelle --------------------- STR

Bench (7 from 10): Gazza, Caulker, Yoshida, Martina, JWP, Davis, Reed, Juanmi, Long, Tadic/JRod*

(*can't choose between these two)

Like this. Now a christmas tree formation (4-2-1-2-1). Agree your personnel, and also recognise the dilemma over J-Rod/Tadic. J-Rod needs to get in the box more to play his own game, and Tadic needs to get more involved. The rest of the team picks itself.

Edited by the saint in winchester

I prefer these 'all touches' type videos. It gives you a better sense of what the player is about then a few cherry-picked highlights:

If he can reproduce the stuff shown in the video, then he really does look a very good DM, and very much in the mould of Morgan. Comfortable with the ball, likes to bring the ball out of defence, available to help team-mates and to start off attacks, even some Morgan-esque passes. Apart from having a little less style than Morgan (that certain je ne c'est quoi) and an apparent lack of attacking play, he really looks like what I imagine he is meant to be, the replacement for Morgan. I like the look of Clasie, but I don't think he is meant to be Morgan's replacement, more of an alternative in the more advanced role in MF currently occupied by Davis and JWP.

Having seen his ability to ping quick passes through the midfield lines against Feyenoord, and the way he was bullied by teenage Chelsea Hair Bear Bunch wannabes against Vitesse, I think a more advanced role where he picks passes isn't entirely out of the question, with the opportunity for him to sit deeper in his previous role when necessary.

Then again we might just have 3 DMs rotating into the 2 DM slots and use Mane and one other somewhere across the midfield behind Pelle, at which point I can start another argument about us not using 4-3-3. :o

It's not that much different from how we set up with Schneiderlin and Wanyama. How did RK do things with Feyenoord?

The question is whether the two DMs -and from what I've seen of Romeu, he's even more defensive than Wanyama- allows us to roll the dice a bit more with the third CM, whether we have to go with Davis and JWP.

Koeman's tactics at Feyenoord were simple: all balls to Pelle... :D As we got some problems with defending at the end of Koeman's stay at Feyenoord, he played a system with 5 (!) defenders: De Vrij, Martins Indi, Janmaat, Kongolo and Mathijssen. It was unheard of in the Eredivisie, later on van Gaal copied this system for the WC 2014 where Holland made it to the semi final. As you know it wasn't worth watching...

JWP or Davis are not the creative players I had in mind... ;)

Well masses this summer but off the top of my head: song, vilhena, that bloke from Barcelona that villa just signed, Austin, krychowiak, chambers, Elia, praet, imbula, gueye, vlarr, benassi.

That's only the ones I remember.

I think he meant in the past week or so. It's been very quiet in the papers. Quite obvious that we were working on something and not just sat on our arse, like some people suggested.

Having seen his ability to ping quick passes through the midfield lines against Feyenoord, and the way he was bullied by teenage Chelsea Hair Bear Bunch wannabes against Vitesse, I think a more advanced role where he picks passes isn't entirely out of the question, with the opportunity for him to sit deeper in his previous role when necessary.

Then again we might just have 3 DMs rotating into the 2 DM slots and use Mane and one other somewhere across the midfield behind Pelle, at which point I can start another argument about us not using 4-3-3. :o

I was assuming that we would still have the 2 DM's (Wanyama and Romeu) with Davis/Clasie or JWP being the more advanced CM as part of the 3 behind Pelle. Based on where Clasie is at the moment, I would suggest that he could spend some time at least behind Davis as he is far fitter and more mobile at the moment and can slot into one of the 2 DM positions much easier. JWP, I still don't really have a clue about position wise.

Why does any signing have to be labelled as the 'ex-player replacement'? I really couldn't give a **** which of Clasie or Romeu are the "Morgan replacement". How about we just let players get on being themselves as opposed to attaching them with labels from the very outset of their career at the club?