CONFIRMED - Oriol Romeu joins on 3-Year Deal

Saint-Armstrong

Just spoken to my mate, who has been a Chelsea STH for yonks.

- Very physically strong

- Very consistent

- Don't expect an attacking threat, but solid defensively

- He'd prefer Romeu to Mikel in their side

- Looked good under AVB and Benitez, got injured - no chance from Mourinho

- Can be a little bit slow on the ball at times, but that may change with more playing time

- Likes to anchor the midfield and content to let others charge upfield and 'hold the fort'

I would agree with this assessment. Was hoping we were after him last year, glad to see the Black Box has a long memory, unlike myself. Always a very highly rated young DM that never got the chance with Chelsea. Expect us to do more business with them over the years. They have and continue to buy the best young talent in the world which they will sell for a profit if they can't break into the first team (which is most of them). Great Buy. March on Saints !!

I'm convinced they time these relatively obscure announcements just before a player signing announcement just to keep us on our toes.... :)

2d8095469c926f64589318ac9ef632e2.jpg

Ha! I was scrolling through this thread looking for confirmation of Romeu signing... I certainly didn't expect to see a picture of my boss shaking hands with Gareth Rogers on the SMS pitch!

Why does any signing have to be labelled as the 'ex-player replacement'? I really couldn't give a **** which of Clasie or Romeu are the "Morgan replacement". How about we just let players get on being themselves as opposed to attaching them with labels from the very outset of their career at the club?

To be fair, when you sell one player in a position and then buy another player who plays in the same position, he is the replacement.

Why does any signing have to be labelled as the 'ex-player replacement'? I really couldn't give a **** which of Clasie or Romeu are the "Morgan replacement". How about we just let players get on being themselves as opposed to attaching them with labels from the very outset of their career at the club?

It's more about how we can continue to play in a successful system with key changes to personnel or whether the changes would lead to a different system all together. A big part of what football forums are for, surely?

Seems far more long needed replacement for cork. Just hope he will be anywhere near as good.

Clasie seems far more the marquee replacement for Morgan, equally hoping he adapts to be anywhere near as good.

Long awaited? How many games would Cork have got last season? How many if VW, Morgan, JWP, Harrison Reid and Steve Davis fit? If any.

I would be disappointed if we weren't signing players better than Cork now.

Long awaited? How many games would Cork have got last season? How many if VW, Morgan, JWP, Harrison Reid and Steve Davis fit? If any.

I agree with you

This signing looks pretty good to me just a very good CB to go in the next two to three weeks and things will look pretty good

Frankly playing as a DM Cork would have easily got in the team ahead of the last three. What kept him out was Morgan and Victor both playing blinders and Cork getting injured just when his chance to stake a claim came. Last season he played every game for Swansea after he moved there and could very well end up playing in a team that finishes higher than saints this season not bad for a player you constantly seem to want to belittle.

Frankly playing as a DM Cork would have easily got in the team ahead of the last three. What kept him out was Morgan and Victor both playing blinders and Cork getting injured just when his chance to stake a claim came. Last season he played every game for Swansea after he moved there and could very well end up playing in a team that finishes higher than saints this season not bad for a player you constantly seem to want to belittle.

But if they don't finish higher than Saints then was he correct to belittle him?

Wise words indeed - lots of deaf ears in here tho or should that be blind eyes [emoji3]

This.

Chelsea Football Club has agreed terms with Southampton for the permanent transfer of Oriol Romeu.

The 23-year-old joins the Saints after four years as a Chelsea player in which he made 33 appearances, scoring once from the penalty spot against Wolverhampton Wanderers in 2012.

We thank Oriol for his service and wish him luck for his future career.

Don't know much about him tbh. Makes a change us signing one of the big 5's players, rather than the other way around. Hope he is as successful as the last one - Bertrand. Although I'm sure there will be some who say if he's not good enough for Chelsea, he's not good enough for us!!