CONFIRMED - Oriol Romeu joins on 3-Year Deal

Saint-Armstrong

I'm a life long Saints fan currently living in Stuttgart. As they are now my local team' date=' I watched VfB Stuttgart fairly regularly last season and work with quite a few season ticket holders. They don't rate him, at all. In fact they were astonished when I told them Saints had signed him. He lost his starting place around the mid-season break last year and was a bit part player from then on. For context, VfB were bottom of the league for most of the season, surviving only by winning their final three games, (of which Romeu played a total of 2 minutes). Don't want to sound overly negative (especially in my first ever post!) just giving an honest appraisal of his form for Stuttgart last season. He clearly has pedigree from earlier in his career, and I'll be delighted if he can prove my VfB supporting colleagues wrong.[/quote']

As a card carrying pessimist, this worries me.

However, like you I hope your VfB friends are proved to be wrong in their assessment.

King Ronald said in the conference that Romeu was his 1st choice for central-midfield.

Interesting. Wanyama and Romeu in DM, Clasie as a Davis replacement?

The question Koeman was answering was if Romeu was the first choice transfer target for the role and not if he'd be first choice starter or not.

The question Koeman was answering was if Romeu was the first choice transfer target for the role and not if he'd be first choice starter or not.

Correct. I was listening live, so just brain-farted it out on here - I should've made it clear Ronald was answering a question on midfield transfer target.

I'm a life long Saints fan currently living in Stuttgart. As they are now my local team' date=' I watched VfB Stuttgart fairly regularly last season and work with quite a few season ticket holders. They don't rate him, at all. In fact they were astonished when I told them Saints had signed him. He lost his starting place around the mid-season break last year and was a bit part player from then on. For context, VfB were bottom of the league for most of the season, surviving only by winning their final three games, (of which Romeu played a total of 2 minutes). Don't want to sound overly negative (especially in my first ever post!) just giving an honest appraisal of his form for Stuttgart last season. He clearly has pedigree from earlier in his career, and I'll be delighted if he can prove my VfB supporting colleagues wrong.[/quote']

But he's young and hungry so there's nothing to worry about.

Was just thinking about Guan 2.0's mystery player...

- A loan target (offer turned down)

- Midfielder

- Left sided / central

- More attack than defensive

- Steven Davis type, but more physical

- Not mentioned before

Moussa Dembele (?)

Good player, would suit that Davis role well IMO.

But Spurs won't give him to a rival, even if they don't want him.

Love that they have safe's in their lockers you obviously can't trust the millionaires around you not to punch a fiver from your wallet and call Australia on your mobile!

Looks a decent signing for me, look forward to seeing how he gets on sensible business as usual.

As we missed out on fifth mainly because we stopped scoring, I'm not sure how Cork would have helped with that.

We conceded 2 goals in successive away games towards the end of the season because we stopped being any good at defending and/or trying, which coincided with either Wanyama or Schneiderlin being absent.

How big do you think the quality gap is between Clyne and Cedric?

6.384. :D

I'm not sure there's all that much in it to be honest, much of a muchness going forward and once he gets used to Prem pace Cedric's defending will reach the decent-enough levels of Clyne's.

6.384. :D

I'm not sure there's all that much in it to be honest, much of a muchness going forward and once he gets used to Prem pace Cedric's defending will reach the decent-enough levels of Clyne's.

exactly this is a question for January at least Cedric needs to adapt and grow into the role and I'm sure he will be fine

Love that they have safe's in their lockers you obviously can't trust the millionaires around you not to punch a fiver from your wallet and call Australia on your mobile!

Looks a decent signing for me, look forward to seeing how he gets on sensible business as usual.

But they might have a secret access to the back of the safe from behind the wall.

We conceded 2 goals in successive away games towards the end of the season because we stopped being any good at defending and/or trying, which coincided with either Wanyama or Schneiderlin being absent.

We also lost three games we had the upper hand in 1-0, as well as drawing a blank in the 0-0 at home with West Ham, so I'm sticking with those being more important than those two away goals.

Cheers for the insight and welcome to the forum!

I guess it could be argued that a player in the mold of Romeu (or Schneiderlin, for comparison) will only thrive in a team with decent players around them to feed off their industry in the heart of the midfield. In other words, his performance at Stuttgart is more likely to be a symptom rather than a cause.

Remains to be seen of course, but it just sounds to me that he needs a stable environment in a decent team to reignite the promise that Chelsea obviously saw in him a few years ago.

They were installed after the BWP and ND incident

Interesting post. I watched one of the longer YouTube videos and I wasn't terribly impressed. He seemed slow, both with and without the ball. His passing seemed very average. The comments from Chelsea fans preferring him to Mikel don't do anything for me. Mikel is ****ing crap.

Obviously you can't forge a decent opinion based simply on a seven minute video of a few games patched together and of course I will give him plenty of time to show his stuff, but equally I won't fawn over the signing either. I never do.

Fingers crossed he is top notch. I just worry about the Morgan sized hole we have in our central midfield right now. Good that the club haven't settled for Reed, JWP and Davis to fill that gap either as I don't think any of them do it to a suitable level.

Edited by Chez

We also lost three games we had the upper hand in 1-0, as well as drawing a blank in the 0-0 at home with West Ham, so I'm sticking with those being more important than those two away goals.

Erm, so losing three games where we failed to defend a lead doesn't suggest we'd have benefited from having an experienced defensive midfielder like Cork playing? Not sure I follow your logic there.

Erm, so losing three games where we failed to defend a lead doesn't suggest we'd have benefited from having an experienced defensive midfielder like Cork playing? Not sure I follow your logic there.

You misunderstand. Those three games were ones we should have won, but lost 1-0. Nothing to do with failing to defend a lead, and everything to do with failing to find the net.

Evidently, given that the Pavilion rebuild didn't start until more than 5 years after they had left.

My apologies. I forgot that people can't identify humour unless they are told by way of lol or haha. I shall consider myself suitably chastised for my glaring omission. Or it could be that you are being pedantic. Is there an emoji or abbreviation to express that? Purely to avoid confusion in future. In case it isn't clear, in this instance, I am being sarcastic

I do fear for Reed and JWP now, when everyone is fit they are 5th and 6th choice, Long and Davis will be super subs which leaves one sub left to come on, however the positive is the depth is great, should allow us to rotate and keep are best 11 fit and fresh for the schedule, maybe Koeman wants to win Europa to qualify us for the CL ? :)

I do fear for Reed and JWP now, when everyone is fit they are 5th and 6th choice, Long and Davis will be super subs which leaves one sub left to come on, however the positive is the depth is great, should allow us to rotate and keep are best 11 fit and fresh for the schedule, maybe Koeman wants to win Europa to qualify us for the CL ? :)

Based on one team selection?

Sounds like the whole team was ****e then, one player doesn't make a team fail.

Interesting post. I watched one of the longer YouTube videos and I wasn't terribly impressed. He seemed slow, both with and without the ball. His passing seemed very average. The comments from Chelsea fans preferring him to Mikel don't do anything for me. Mikel is ****ing crap.

You don't play 339 games (according to Wiki) for one of the best sides in the country by being ****ing crap.

Fairly sure that Steve Davis was rocking a £30k Rolex Skydweller the other day and from his medical Tadic has a YaughtMaster. Now personally I **** myself every time I leave my watch in the car glovebox or somewhere where it could get pinched - imagine it relaxes our players at training!

3 years is a decent length if he turns out to be something special then with a year left on his contract we would still make a profit on the reported £5 mil. And if he turns out to be like Mayuka then he's not on that long a contract.

Also Jack cork is massively overrated by saints fans if he was Dutch no one would care that he left he was average he is good enough for the premier league but he isn't anything special.

Totally disagree with this comment... Just because he isn't a Fancy Dan doesn't mean he wasn't a very important player for us who was the oil in our engine....

It is interesting from time to time to watch certain players and what they do rather than the whole spectacle... You can learn and appreciate players good or indifferent in that way....

We don't have an 11 man first choice team any more. We put out 18 for every game, all of whom except maybe the keeper in most games, are in the reckoning for game time. Add in 3 or 4 injuries at any one time, and a couple of suspensions, and I would say our first team is around 24 strong, and both Reed and JWP are part of that team.

We don't have an 11 man first choice team any more. We put out 18 for every game, all of whom except maybe the keeper in most games, are in the reckoning for game time. Add in 3 or 4 injuries at any one time, and a couple of suspensions, and I would say our first team is around 24 strong, and both Reed and JWP are part of that team.

Agree with that. Personally I think football has moved on from having a set first 11, unless you are a dinosaur manager. It's about picking the best STARTING 11 to hit the ground running and do the jobs identified to win tactically. It's definitely more of a squad game than ever before - if they could use 5, unless the game was going amazingly well, I bet an awful lot of teams would use all 5 now.

You pick a squad for the day. I don't think this is rocket science, but I do think a few dinosaurs are stuck on the concept of a set/consistent first 11 still. It simply depends on the match.

Agree with that. Personally I think football has moved on from having a set first 11, unless you are a dinosaur manager. It's about picking the best STARTING 11 to hit the ground running and do the jobs identified to win tactically. It's definitely more of a squad game than ever before - if they could use 5, unless the game was going amazingly well, I bet an awful lot of teams would use all 5 now.

You pick a squad for the day. I don't think this is rocket science, but I do think a few dinosaurs are stuck on the concept of a set/consistent first 11 still. It simply depends on the match.

Dinosaurs like Mourinho? Dear oh dear.

Interesting tangent on the thread, First X1 v Squad debate; I agree with the sentiment, 14 at the least, players can get injured after 1 or 2 minutes.

However, the reality is if RK/we/you could, like last season, we would put out the same starting X1 (look at the back 7 that got us second/clean sheets of FF, NC, JF, TA, RB, VW, and MS - then GP, DT, SD and SM up front) to win the game, subs to see it out, as a settled team is worth another player on the pitch.

I'm suggesting that our main problem was that we went on a scoring slump, with one goal in five matches in February, and that was a far bigger contributor to our losing out on a higher position than our defensive midfielder situation. If we'd put away some of the chances we'd created, then letting in the goals we did wouldn't have been an issue. I find it strange that, given how Koeman praised Reed for his performance in the Everton game, he seemed determined not to pick him to cover our defensive midfielders.

Obviously you can't forge a decent opinion based simply on a seven minute video of a few games patched together and of course I will give him plenty of time to show his stuff, but equally I won't fawn over the signing either. I never do.

Fingers crossed he is top notch. I just worry about the Morgan sized hole we have in our central midfield right now. Good that the club haven't settled for Reed, JWP and Davis to fill that gap either as I don't think any of them do it to a suitable level.

Having also watched highlight videos, I didn't see anything special about him at all. We'll see, I guess...

Having also watched highlight videos, I didn't see anything special about him at all. We'll see, I guess...

I doubt Schneiderlin's highlight reel would be all that exciting, barring a couple of good goals in the last two seasons. Romeu looks strong, determined and can pass well with both feet over short and medium distances. Long range passing looked a bit hit and miss - some excellent MS-esque diagonals, some overhit - though on a game by game basis I don't think Morgan hit every single long ball attempt to feet.

If Romeu is genuinely fit and unaffected by his prior injury, I think he'll fit in to the team very well. However, since he doesn't have much of a scoring record compared to Morgan, it means Davis or whoever gets that third CM slot will have to contribute a lot more to the attacking stats than they did last season.

It's a moot point while he's injured, but I wonder if they are going to try and convert Clasie to the role Davis has been playing - as a former DM he'd certainly know how to press and tackle and provide the energy Davis is known for, but by reputation he is a far more incisive passer, so might create more than Davis has managed the last few seasons.

Leroy Fer? QPR won't be able to afford his wages so likely for a move

Also makes sense with the club wanting to keep quiet about this one -as he failed a medical up at Sunderland

I was thinking this too. Would certainly fit the bill. I'd be pretty happy if we were to sign him.

Well it would really depend on why he failed the medical at Sunderland wouldn't it?

He had an injury apparently, according to Advocaat. "We cannot wait one or two months. If we bring in players, they have to play now."

However Guan said that the loan signing's name hadn't been mentioned in previous threads, and i'm pretty sure Fer's has.

I doubt Schneiderlin's highlight reel would be all that exciting, barring a couple of good goals in the last two seasons. Romeu looks strong, determined and can pass well with both feet over short and medium distances. Long range passing looked a bit hit and miss - some excellent MS-esque diagonals, some overhit - though on a game by game basis I don't think Morgan hit every single long ball attempt to feet.

If Romeu is genuinely fit and unaffected by his prior injury, I think he'll fit in to the team very well. However, since he doesn't have much of a scoring record compared to Morgan, it means Davis or whoever gets that third CM slot will have to contribute a lot more to the attacking stats than they did last season.

It's a moot point while he's injured, but I wonder if they are going to try and convert Clasie to the role Davis has been playing - as a former DM he'd certainly know how to press and tackle and provide the energy Davis is known for, but by reputation he is a far more incisive passer, so might create more than Davis has managed the last few seasons.

How did I know that this comment would end up being about Davis!