Sam Gallagher - Joins Blackburn: Official

Sergei Gotsmanov

• 1 month later...
I've said this before about Gallagher that he maybe hadn't finished growing and this could be affecting him, but that was at least a year ago, I think. Interesting if true.

Relatively unusual for a guy to still be growing at 20, though not unknown even to 21 or beyond. He was listed as 6' 4" in January, how ****ing tall is he now?

Relatively unusual for a guy to still be growing at 20, though not unknown even to 21 or beyond. He was listed as 6' 4" in January, how ****ing tall is he now?

agreed, but I think that Peter Crouch put on a bit of weight .....even after his time with us.

Always thought Crouch looked deceptively slow because of his height, until he started to run when his enormous stride pattern gave him an advantage over defenders.

Be interesting to see what Sam looks like (in play), when he returns.

I've said this before about Gallagher that he maybe hadn't finished growing and this could be affecting him, but that was at least a year ago, I think. Interesting if true.

It's true. I'd like to see RK give Sam a chance once he returns but if he splashes the cash on another forward as fans are hoping he will, then Sam may need to try another loan.

It's true. I'd like to see RK give Sam a chance once he returns but if he splashes the cash on another forward as fans are hoping he will, then Sam may need to try another loan.

You really are a joke for a man of your age to think Sam can play in the premier

He has already played in the premier and scored too

theoretically correct, but he made just 2 starts (and was later subbed), made 18 rather short sub.apps.....scored 1 goal (in the 97th minute of a game we had already won), and another late on in an FA Cup game against low-level opposition..Yeovil.

This ...all at a time when we had major injury problems and with Lambert (off form). In reality, Pochettino had little choice other than to play him.There was no-one else.

Yes he has played in the Prem. but to rate him as a Prem. player is stretching credulity a bit too much.

I really hope he comes good, but he has a long way to go before he gets another chance like that.

• 7 months later...

*Bump*

Close to a loan move to Blackburn.

The England Under-19 international is on the verge of joining the club on a season-long loan.

Rovers boss Coyle, who confirmed the injured Elliott Bennett could be out for six weeks, said: “Verbally we have an agreement to bring a young talented striker in.

“It’s not done in terms of paperwork signed but he’ll travel up tomorrow night and we’ll run the rule over him, with regards to the medical, but I’m hoping it will be confirmed by Thursday and then he’ll be able to join the group for training and then be part of the group for Wigan.”

Source: http://www.lancashiretelegraph.co.uk/sport/football/rovers/news/14671944.Blackburn_Rovers_on_verge_of_signing_Southampton_striker_Sam_Gallagher/?ref=mac

He has already played in the premier and scored too

That doesn't mean he's a premier league striker, it means he's a striker that's played in the premier league. dextor Blackstock played and scored in the premier league, he wasn't a premier league striker either, as the rest of his career will testify.

If people wrote off players at 20, there wouldn't be as many Vardy's, Lamberts and co around.

While that's true - you just get the impression with SG that he won't cut it at Prem level, and the opportunity for him to go to a Club like Blackburn is a great one for him and good for SFC. One of my lasting memories of Sam was the hug he received from Pochettino in a game soon after the death of his Dad.

Sorry to say that he is not Premier League standard, pure and simple. By 20 and you expect to see progress.

Like Harry Kane?

Lets just start by finding Sam a club to join on loan to try and improve himself by getting competitive minutes.

No need for knee-jerk reactions.

Like Harry Kane?

Lets just start by finding Sam a club to join on loan to try and improve himself by getting competitive minutes.

No need for knee-jerk reactions.

If the club viewed every single young player as the next Harry Kane then we'd never release or move on anyone and we'd have 400 kids in academy training every day.

Maybe Sam Gallagher is not the next Harry Kane. Maybe that.

It's unlikely he is. But maybe we shouldn't just cast him off at 20 years old because he's "not premier league standard".

I'd suggest that having a first team squad that are Premier League standard is a pretty basic requirement.

Would you recommend we went out and signed lots of players that aren't Premier League standard?

I'd suggest that having a first team squad that are Premier League standard is a pretty basic requirement.

Would you recommend we went out and signed lots of players that aren't Premier League standard?

I agree with what you are saying overall but in Gallagher's case, forwards of that height tend to take longer to mature and fully develop - e.g. Niall Quinn, Peter Crouch. So that's why it might take a few loan spells and a slightly longer period, and not just because of his age, to really asses whether Sam has what it takes for the top flight.

He's 20, remember players improve and confidence plays a huge part in that.

Many wrote off Kane when he started games for Spurs, Gallagher has potential it's just a case of if he can take his chances and improve technically.

much of this thread has seemingly developed into a Gallagher-Kane comparison .

It could be noted that after being rejected by Arsenal (!) as a 9 year old, Kane had time at Watford....before finding his way to Spurs at aged 15.

Spurs coach Alex Ingelthorpe noted "....he (HK) looked a bit gangly, moved slightly awkwardly, and was a bit cumbersome."

HK was loaned out to Leyton Orient, Millwall, Norwich and Leicester in successive seasons and clocked up 56 apps. and scored 14 goals before returning to Spurs.

He'd had a handful of first team appearances before Pochettino took over, and started him regularly ...the rest, as they say.....was bad news for the rest of the Prem.

Sam Gallagher wasn't ready for Prem football when Pochettino debuted him, but a quick look back will show that we had a major injury/ form crisis with Saints' strikers at the time and MP had no other option. Sam's first goal was scored in the 94th minute of a game we had already won, and he scored once more in another game.

It is totally unfair to criticise a young player who'd had both personal and injury problems and start talking about suitability for the Prem.

Sam needs a season at Blackburn (or similar level club) and unless he knotches up double figures, perhaps even another season loan before we can expect him to DAJFU in the Prem. I just want to see him get plenty of game time and start scoring the odd goal or two. The rest will take time.

Longer memories may recall the signing of the young James Beattie who managed a rather uneven start to his Saints career, and was out for much of his second season ....and was well into his fourth, before we saw the class of player he eventually developed into and got himself into the England Squad.

Edited by david in sweden