Saints V Villa Build Up Thread Capital One Cup

Stepgar

Another question would be will they ever be able to play for the full 90 minutes, if we don't give them experience of playing for us for the full 90 minutes. Cup games are ideal for that.

If they're having a shocker or we need to change things tactically you have to sub them, but they should at least be given the chance (maybe less so Gaston, who's had many chances in the past).

Agree

shame nobody asked at the fans forum why the hell we gave him a new contract for till 2019 !!?? will just be one of these rubbish players we can't shift and taking up wages.

He is never going to be any good.

No-one asked because the answer is bloody obvious - because the people who offered him a new contract think a lot more of him than you do.

the best part

...is reading the game is " sold out " because the club put sentiment before money and dropped ticket prices (first time we've had a capacity gate in a League Cup match).

They stated at the Fans' Forum that they're using cup games as a way of encouraging new fans to watch, so the pricing is to encourage a wider fan base (and therefore money-driven in the longer term, new fans spend more on merchandise than the regulars anyway).

Hope so.

Good that Gaston is finding his feet now: he's probably the only player in the squad sharp enough to pick put the runs.

With the exception of the numerous times Tadic, Pelle and Mane have already done that this season, of course.

Parts of this thread are just pure gold. I just love how people are making out that they want us to play a load of the fringe players, but you cant bet anything that if we did just that and ended up losing then those same people would be going absolutely mental!

When it comes to cup competitions I think its fair to take it on a case-by-case basis.

The infamous Sunderland defeat in February 2014 came in a competition where a maximum of only two of the 'Big Six' would make it through to the 1/4 finals (Spurs and United already out and Liverpool/Arsenal/Chelsea/City running into each other), along with plenty of easily-beatable lower-league fodder guaranteed to make it through.

It turned out that had we beaten Sunderland (who played just as weak a team as we did by the way, and would certainly have been there for the taking if we had gone for it), we'd have been two cup fixtures against relegation strugglers Hull City and third-tier Sheffield United away from a cup final against Arsenal that we genuinely could have won.

All in all, given the way the cup opened up for us that year, it was a huge opportunity missed for a club of our size and people were justifiably angry.

However; this year's league cup competition just hasn't gone that way. The big guns have all avoided each other, we haven't got as strong as squad as we did two years ago and aren't as liberated from the perils of a potential relegation battle as we were then.

As such, in this case I'd be happy to play a second-string team. If we 'wake up' in the Semi-Finals then of course, let's go for it, but it looks very likely that we'll simply be faced with a run of big clubs that will prove to be a bit of a brick wall.

As such, in this case I'd be happy to play a second-string team. If we 'wake up' in the Semi-Finals then of course, let's go for it, but it looks very likely that we'll simply be faced with a run of big clubs that will prove to be a bit of a brick wall.

Like playing Chelsea or Liverpool away, for instance?

Seagar was taken off on 60 minutes last night and the commentary from Saints team said its almost certain he will be in the squad - he missed a sitter last night!

Reed/Gape looked poor to me going backwards and need a loan out somewhere they will get competitive games. Still think Hesketh has best chance.

Is Mcqueen injured again? Noticed he wasn't involved at all.

Is Mcqueen injured again? Noticed he wasn't involved at all.

If fit I'm hopeful he might get a game on Wednesday, to me he plays just like Pelle and would be an asset to the first team. Seager's subbing might mean he makes the bench but I doubt he'd have played at all if he was in starting plans.

Edited by The9

Like playing Chelsea or Liverpool away, for instance?

Or United or Everton at home.

My point is that should we win tonight, the three matches standing between us and the trophy are very probably a combination of Chelsea, United, Liverpool, Arsenal, City and Everton, which our weaker-than-13/14-squad will have to beat three-in-a-row (although admittedly a cup final against whoever would be very enjoyable).

The run to the trophy in the FA Cup in 13/14 with our stronger-than-we-have-now squad would have been Hull, Sheffield United and a weaker-than-they-are-now Arsenal.

Ridiculous to suggest that this is anywhere near as big an opportunity for a trophy as we had 18 months ago. Or even in the League Cup last year for that matter. I'd pick the squad accordingly and make sure that we don't drop any of the three points that should be on a plate for us at home to an injury-ravaged Bournemouth currently down on their knees on Sunday.

Or United or Everton at home.

My point is that should we win tonight, the three matches standing between us and the trophy are very probably a combination of Chelsea, United, Liverpool, Arsenal, City and Everton, which our weaker-than-13/14-squad will have to beat three-in-a-row (although admittedly a cup final against whoever would be very enjoyable).

The run to the trophy in the FA Cup in 13/14 with our stronger-than-we-have-now squad would have been Hull, Sheffield United and a weaker-than-they-are-now Arsenal.

Ridiculous to suggest that this is anywhere near as big an opportunity for a trophy as we had 18 months ago. Or even in the League Cup last year for that matter. I'd pick the squad accordingly and make sure that we don't drop any of the three points that should be on a plate for us at home to an injury-ravaged Bournemouth currently down on their knees on Sunday.

I think we'd be ok against Everton with our first choice midfield and defence playing.

It's not as good an opportunity yet, but it's sure as hell better than the opportunity we had after losing to Sheff U and Sunderland. There's every possibility there will be upsets with the top clubs involved in Europe and needing to rest players, and the draw could throw us up against beatable opponents up to the semi-final, and beyond that with a bit of luck.

I'd also absolutely argue that the 13/14 squad was NOT stronger than we have now - the starting side isn't as good as 2014/15, but the squad has improved from last season, and last season improved on the season before. We have more depth in more positions and are much better equipped to challenge on more than one front.

So we should try and win it until we don't.

Edited by The9

My point is that should we win tonight [...]

Well this sent my mind spinning with the things I'd need to re-arrange tonight... Genuinely just had to check the fixture list to make sure the match is tomorrow.

It is. Don't do that!

Well this sent my mind spinning with the things I'd need to re-arrange tonight... Genuinely just had to check the fixture list to make sure the match is tomorrow.

It is. Don't do that!

Yeah, he started badly and went downhill from there

They stated at the Fans' Forum that they're using cup games as a way of encouraging new fans to watch, so the pricing is to encourage a wider fan base (and therefore money-driven in the longer term, new fans spend more on merchandise than the regulars anyway).

I think back to the days when The Dell was forced to become an all-seater stadium.

Not only did it cut the club's income but effectively dis-enfranchised thousands of regulars who couldn't get in without a season ticket.. and even then there was no guarantee.

The mere fact that reduced prices encourages new fans - especially youngsters - is surely good for building up the fan base of the future,(after all not every fan lives to 99) and with the cost of Prem.games - it's good that people on limited incomes can at least get see a few matches.

I was unfortunate enough to have a spell where I had to work Saturdays, but always got into midweek / holiday games...and enjoyed Reserve / Youth teams games, too.

A few more home draws in Cup competitions would go a long way towards "rewarding" fans who want to see more matches, but don't have the wherewithal to do it.

Looking forward to this match, wish I could be there. Seems very likely Gaston will start. Villa's defence is so slow and poor too, he should have players to pick out.

BUT, Gaston needs pace to pick out, people running beyond. Pelle isn't likely, Gaston found him once at Anfield and he fell over. Mane and Jrod are out, so is it worth playing Juanmi too? Ramirez in for Davis, Juanmi in for Mane? Think that's probably what I'd do. And JWP in for Clasie.

I'd be very interested to see what we create with Tadic, Ramirez and JWP set pieces in the same team.

Clasie will play needs game time.

Targett, Reed, Seager (and Ward-Prowse) were the only under 21s players training with the 1st team today.

we're not short of midfield options at any level, but three lads in the U21 squad (McQueen, Sims and Barnes) are out injured.

the fact that Ryan Seager was subbed after 60 mins. last night must auger well for his chances of some game time with Long and Rodriguez both unavailable.

would expect the other 3 named to be involved ....to some degree, they've all had first team experience.

When it comes to cup competitions I think its fair to take it on a case-by-case basis.

The infamous Sunderland defeat in February 2014 came in a competition where a maximum of only two of the 'Big Six' would make it through to the 1/4 finals (Spurs and United already out and Liverpool/Arsenal/Chelsea/City running into each other), along with plenty of easily-beatable lower-league fodder guaranteed to make it through.

It turned out that had we beaten Sunderland (who played just as weak a team as we did by the way, and would certainly have been there for the taking if we had gone for it), we'd have been two cup fixtures against relegation strugglers Hull City and third-tier Sheffield United away from a cup final against Arsenal that we genuinely could have won.

All in all, given the way the cup opened up for us that year, it was a huge opportunity missed for a club of our size and people were justifiably angry.

However; this year's league cup competition just hasn't gone that way. The big guns have all avoided each other, we haven't got as strong as squad as we did two years ago and aren't as liberated from the perils of a potential relegation battle as we were then.

Surely post of the week.

I think back to the days when The Dell was forced to become an all-seater stadium.

Not only did it cut the club's income but effectively dis-enfranchised thousands of regulars who couldn't get in without a season ticket.. and even then there was no guarantee.

The mere fact that reduced prices encourages new fans - especially youngsters - is surely good for building up the fan base of the future,(after all not every fan lives to 99) and with the cost of Prem.games - it's good that people on limited incomes can at least get see a few matches.

I was unfortunate enough to have a spell where I had to work Saturdays, but always got into midweek / holiday games...and enjoyed Reserve / Youth teams games, too.

A few more home draws in Cup competitions would go a long way towards "rewarding" fans who want to see more matches, but don't have the wherewithal to do it.

As someone who could only get in if a mate had a spare ticket for the best part of 10 years I can confirm that it makes it less appealing to follow a side when you can't get in... my last match at The Dell was the 1-0 win against Leicester in January 2001 - there were 7 more homes after that but I had no chance of getting a ticket. I was an ST holder at St Mary's the following season.

Future attendance must be a big worry for football authorities by now, the average age is increasing and a lot of the kids who go get priced out once they're not teenagers, often never to return.

I think the absences of the usually rotated in forward players (Long and Rodriguez) means we'll probably still rotate, but as we can't use Mane either we'll want to keep the rest of the side (the defensive half) as unchanged as possible. The team to face Bournemouth will also be a factor.

As someone who could only get in if a mate had a spare ticket for the best part of 10 years I can confirm that it makes it less appealing to follow a side when you can't get in... my last match at The Dell was the 1-0 win against Leicester in January 2001 - there were 7 more homes after that but I had no chance of getting a ticket.

Huh? Me and my group of mates were never season ticket holders at The Dell but got tickets in the Archers for every game without fail.

I remember before any sort of loyalty scheme was introduced we had to take previous ticket stubs down to prove attendance at a certain number of games. This was clearly easily open to abuse, as were the cardboard season tickets that a couple of people I knew just photocopied and used to get in for free.

Would expect Koeman to play a strong team but with changes. Should be something like

Britt

Martina Caulker Yoshida Targett

Juanmi Gape Reed

Seager Pelle Hesketh

with the only possible change I'd make in that team is bring in Olomola for Pelle.

No way will the team be that weak. If you think that get in the Ladbrokes site and grab that 7-1 on Villa.

Which teams in this country present 'a brick wall'?

Would expect Koeman to play a strong team but with changes. Should be something like

Britt

Juanmi Gape Reed

Seager Pelle Hesketh

with the only possible change I'd make in that team is bring in Olomola for Pelle.

I would agree with this. Britt looked class on loan at Maidenhead in the Conference South, and has been champing at the bit to play in the first team.

Huh? Me and my group of mates were never season ticket holders at The Dell but got tickets in the Archers for every game without fail.

I remember before any sort of loyalty scheme was introduced we had to take previous ticket stubs down to prove attendance at a certain number of games. This was clearly easily open to abuse, as were the cardboard season tickets that a couple of people I knew just photocopied and used to get in for free.

When you have a 240-mile round trip and the last train you can get on leaves 2½ hours before kick off, you tend to want to confirm you will definitely get in before you commit to travelling - as this occasionally happened on a Saturday morning after a local postponement so I wasn't playing, it could sometimes be a little bit touch and go.

I seem to recall my "contact" knew someone with a non-existent younger brothers with a kid's season ticket, and occasionally it involved going through a particular turnstile two at a time, or hoping someone wasn't able to make it.

Which teams in this country present 'a brick wall'?

Clearly this "8 changes" Arsenal side: Cech, Debuchy, Chambers, Mertesacker, Gibbs, Flamini, Kamara, Oxlade-Chamberlain, Campbell, Iwobi, Giroud.

or this "3 changes" Chelsea one: Begovic, Zouma, Cahill, Terry, Baba, Ramires, Mikel, Willian, Oscar, Hazard, Diego Costa

:)

Britt

Juanmi Gape Reed

Seager Pelle Hesketh

Yeahhhh, you're not seeing 8 of that team start, and there is absolutely no point picking both Pelle and Seager anyway.

Incidentally, it's on Sky but I'm not watching, I see Sheff Weds are leading 1-0 but Oxlade-Chamberlain went off for Walcott on 5 minutes, and Walcott then went off on 19 minutes.

So presumably that was two injuries to two of their first team squad?

Arsenal don't care about this. Very weak side and losing badly. Even if they turn it round they're beatable. Chelsea and man city are on our day, and all these teams have bigger distractions. We're probably the 7th or 8th best side around so are always going to have a good chance of a cup run. Crazy not to take it seriously. We've improved every year for ages. We won't improve on 7th this year you'd imagine, but 7th-10th with a cup final or cup win would be huge too. A cup win and I'd say we've improved yet again.

win tomorrow with a home draw after.. we will be in business

Currently Norwich leading at Everton; Sheffield Wednesday 3 up against Arsenal and Stoke leading Chelsea.

Brick walls every one. :rolleyes: