Saints V Villa Build Up Thread Capital One Cup

Stepgar

I think we'd have to play Mane (suspended though) or Seager up there (or maybe both if it was a league game)' date=' both with dramatically different characteristics as players and would massively change the way we play. No long balls![/quote']

Mhmm, I'm not sure Seager's will ever be suited to a lone role, cup game of otherwise. Regardless, without Pelle/Long/Jrod, you can pretty much rule out long balls (to feet/head) and much of our crossing, as you've said. I think that change in style is doable for the Villa game, provided Gaston gets a start centrally. I guess I can answer my own Q, without Long and JRod, Pelle cannot be rested...which is hardly surprising when only one of your three strikers is available (I'm just convinced Pelle will need resting and a league cup game is ideal...Or not, as it happens :p).

I doubt Wanyama will be rested - he's the only midfielder we've got with any presence and is remotely hard to take on / bully. If he doesn't play we're usually ****ed.

He was clattered several times yesterday, and looked near to coming off in the first half. We will probably rest him on that basis. We have alternatives in this department, and it is more important that he is fit for the league.

do people really think seager (or reed) will all of a sudden start on weds???

it aint going to happen

Is anyone serious suggesting they will start? Pretty sure you will see Seager on the bench though, and probably given a chance in the second half. Not so sure about Reed, though he may be on the bench.

LOL @ anyone who thinks Gazzaniga, the third choice keeper the Manager doesn't trust, is going to start this game.

Koeman (rightly because they are utter ****e) didn't give any of the other keepers a game in Cups last year.

Gazzaniga should be out on loan in Lg 1 or 2 playing every week. Not playing at a level he isn't currently good enough for.

I think we'd have to play Mane (suspended though) or Seager up there (or maybe both if it was a league game)' date=' both with dramatically different characteristics as players and would massively change the way we play. No long balls![/quote']

If somehow Pelle, Mane, Long and Rodriguez were all out I'd be inclined to play a 4-1-2-3-0 with only one holding DM, but 2 CMs in front of them and with Tadic, Gaston and Juanmi playing advanced AM roles, and occasionally false-nining up top.

Alternatively, we play 4-1-2-2-1 with one DM (Wanyama), two CMs (from Clasie/JWP/Davis), two AMs (from Tadic/Gaston/Juanmi/Davis) and Seager up top. Depending on positioning that could also be seen as a 4-3-3, 4-1-4-1, 4-5-1, 4-3-2-1, or 4-1-2-3. :)

Option 1 (4-1-2-3-0)

------x------

x---x--x---x

------x------

----x---x----

-x----x----x-

-------------- - no fixed striker

Option 2 (4-1-2-2-1, 4-3-3, 4-1-4-1, 4-5-1, 4-3-2-1, or 4-1-2-3 depending on how you choose to draw the lines :))

------x------

x---x--x---x

------x------

----x---x----

---x-----x---

---Seager---

LOL @ anyone who thinks Gazzaniga, the third choice keeper the Manager doesn't trust, is going to start this game.

Koeman (rightly because they are utter ****e) didn't give any of the other keepers a game in Cups last year.

Gazzaniga should be out on loan in Lg 1 or 2 playing every week. Not playing at a level he isn't currently good enough for.

We'll start with Stekelenburg if he's fit, which is no reflection on Gazzaniga other than "he isn't as good as Stekelenburg".

No, gazzaniga should be sold for whatever the club can get for him. We've been waiting for him to come good for far too long now. Get rid

shame nobody asked at the fans forum why the hell we gave him a new contract for till 2019 !!?? will just be one of these rubbish players we can't shift and taking up wages.

He is never going to be any good.

No, gazzaniga should be sold for whatever the club can get for him. We've been waiting for him to come good for far too long now. Get rid

But with no back up, we cannot afford Stek to get injured. I imagine Villa will not be up for this game and a defeat for us is not the end of the world.

I'd go with as strong a side as possible, but possibly Fonte, Davis and Wanyama need a night off. Ronny will know best their of course. But I don't want to see another line up/display like at Sheffield.

Stek

Cedric - VVD - Yoshi - Bertrand

Romeu - Clasie

Juanmi - Ramirez - Tadic

Pelle

Edited by Chez

But with no back up, we cannot afford Stek to get injured. I imagine Villa will not be up for this game and a defeat for us is not the end of the world.

How about we try to win this bloody cup or are you holding out for a Champions League place again Dalek?

He was clattered several times yesterday, and looked near to coming off in the first half. We will probably rest him on that basis. We have alternatives in this department, and it is more important that he is fit for the league.

I'd definitely rest Wanyama, play Romeu instead.

Parts of this thread are just pure gold. I just love how people are making out that they want us to play a load of the fringe players, but you cant bet anything that if we did just that and ended up losing then those same people would be going absolutely mental!

No point in resting players really, if we win, let them have thursday off, or make it a lighter training session. Professional players on thousands a week should cope with another game- if we had Europa League we'd be in a situation like this. Only position I'd consider resting is fullback, as tbf they have a tough job with being fit. My team:

Stekelenburg

Cedric-Fonte-Van Dijk-Bertrand

Romeu-Clasie

Davis-Juanmi-Tadic

Pelle

Bench: Kelvin, Martina, Caulker, Wanyama, JWP, Gaston, Seager

Substitutes I would use is Martina (Cedric), Caulker (Van Dijk) and Gaston/Seager (Pelle)

think you might get your wish ...around New Year(?).

Gazzaniga is too old for the U21's, next in line AFTER Davis, but with Forster (supposedly) on the mend and Stekelenburg having staked a claim for the shirt...Gazza should be out on loan - after December.....perhaps.... .Gillingham ?...they seem to be doing well at present......or would that be too much like deja vu ?

I doubt Wanyama will be rested - he's the only midfielder we've got with any presence and is remotely hard to take on / bully. If he doesn't play we're usually ****ed.

Romeu puts himself about a bit. Not in Vics class, but you couldn't see him getting bullied, more likely to get red carded . Perfect for this game imho.

Parts of this thread are just pure gold. I just love how people are making out that they want us to play a load of the fringe players, but you cant bet anything that if we did just that and ended up losing then those same people would be going absolutely mental!

Wrong, a lot of people would not be that bothered if it helped us win the next EPL game.

I'd go with something like

Stek

Cedric - Fonte - Yoshi - Targett

Romeu - Clasie

JWP - Davis - Tadic

Juanmi

That's assuming J Rod isn't fit, otherwise he starts up front.

Some good calls but I really don't understand why people imagine Koeman would want to risk a competition we could win. I cannot see or be happy with any changes that aren't necessary.

I expect the team to be:

Stek

Cedric Fonte VVD if all fit and maybe Targett as he played last year in COC but Bertrand surely needs games

Wanyama (if fit - otherwise Romeu) Clasie

JWP Davis Tadic

Pelle (unless JRod fit)

When its 3-0 I am sure he will think about Juanmi and Gaston but not til we are sure we have won the game.

We don't need four of Wanyama, Clasie, JWP and Davis so definitely room for either Ramirez orJuanmi to start. One of them starting makes the lineup far more balanced, especially as we won't have Mane's threat.

Juanmi probably the best option to add some pace, or its a plodding team.

Edited by Saint Charlie

Some good calls but I really don't understand why people imagine Koeman would want to risk a competition we could win. I cannot see or be happy with any changes that aren't necessary.

I expect the team to be:

Stek

Cedric Fonte VVD if all fit and maybe Targett as he played last year in COC but Bertrand surely needs games

Wanyama (if fit - otherwise Romeu) Clasie

JWP Davis Tadic

Pelle (unless JRod fit)

When its 3-0 I am sure he will think about Juanmi and Gaston but not til we are sure we have won the game.

Agree with your sentiment but why would anyone play 4 of Wanyama, Clasie, Davis & JWP, that is far more defensive than we play away in the league with only Tadic and Pelle offering any attacking threat.

I believe Targett is "unavailable" (but no confirmation, just been noticeably absent from anything recently, including the us21s tonight) and Wanyama is nursing some serious knocks from Sunday, and of course Mane is out. JRod is also out until at least Sunday.

So Romeu for Wanyama and either Juanmi or Gaston for Mane.

All true, but if Stek gets injured we're ****ed. He was touch and go starting yesterday, so if he's not 100% fit I wouldn't risk playing him. Instead put the lesser of the other 2 evils in goal, and play the strongest outfield 10 in front of him.

No point in resting players really, if we win, let them have thursday off, or make it a lighter training session. Professional players on thousands a week should cope with another game- if we had Europa League we'd be in a situation like this. Only position I'd consider resting is fullback, as tbf they have a tough job with being fit. My team:

Stekelenburg

Cedric-Fonte-Van Dijk-Bertrand

Romeu-Clasie

Davis-Juanmi-Tadic

Pelle

Bench: Kelvin, Martina, Caulker, Wanyama, JWP, Gaston, Seager

Substitutes I would use is Martina (Cedric), Caulker (Van Dijk) and Gaston/Seager (Pelle)

That's a rather short-term perspective, imo. Of course the players *can* cope, the point is to keep them as fresh as possible over the course of the season/for more imporant games (subjective, I know). Fatigue is a thing.

I.e. if we can rest players, we should. It's to our benefit. That being said, there aren't many we can afford to rest admittedly. Wanyama, f'sure. Maybe Fonte, but I doubt he'll need resting. I'd certainly include Martina to replace Cedric if winning at HT/60 mins.

Edited by Donatello

Stak

Martina-Fonte- VvD- Bertand

Romeu- Clasie

Davis- Gaston- Juanmi

Peele

Davis, Yoshida, Caulker, Reed, JWP, Isgrove, Seager

Looks good but I would put Gazzaniga in for Stak and put Caulker in for VVD, Yoshida in for Fonte and find an alternative for Bertrand.

Seagar was taken off on 60 minutes last night and the commentary from Saints team said its almost certain he will be in the squad - he missed a sitter last night!

Reed/Gape looked poor to me going backwards and need a loan out somewhere they will get competitive games. Still think Hesketh has best chance.

He might on the basis that Mane can't play. I can't see how we can do without both Tadic and Mane if we're serious about the game and the competition.

That's why I think Gaston should play for at least some of the time. We now have two options - Juanmi and Gaston - when Mane, Long and Jayrod aren't available, which is no bad thing. The question is can either of them play well for the full 90 minutes?

Edited by eelpie

That's why I think Gaston should play for at least some of the time. We now have two options - Juanmi and Gaston - when Mane, Long and Jayrod aren't available, which is no bad thing. The question is can either of them play well for the full 90 minutes?

Another question would be will they ever be able to play for the full 90 minutes, if we don't give them experience of playing for us for the full 90 minutes. Cup games are ideal for that.

If they're having a shocker or we need to change things tactically you have to sub them, but they should at least be given the chance (maybe less so Gaston, who's had many chances in the past).