Juve in for Pelle?

laughba

Not so much opening the door as refusing to nail it shut when asked a leading question. It's his home country, he's hardly going to say, "f**k that place I'm never going back!"

Even at his peak, Lambert never really caused the better teams any problems, other than occasionally with set pieces. He was simply too imobile and lacking in agility. He was very easy for good defenders to marshall.

That's not to say he wasn't brilliant, overall for us - of course he was. But he was never, by any stretch, an elite player.

It was the complete lack of offering any kind of outlet whatsoever at Arsenal in the first Prem season back up that made me realise we could only get so far with him up top. Whilst we were outclassed all over the pitch and even the likes of Clyne were making basic errors, it was the total isolation and failure to get anything down all game long that showed he was never going to be up there with the likes of Lukaku and Benteke, purely because he just didn't make life difficult enough and didn't have the threat to drop deep and help out whilst still offering a threat up front. Compared to Lambert, Pelle's movement and ability to link in midfield and get up top to offer an option in the box is superb.

He did well against Man City in the first game back up, but that match saw us playing some weird tactics and he hadn't even started the match so he had a lot more freshness than usual when he made his impact (and even in that game we suffered from his slowness in breaking upfield from defending corners a couple of times, but we also scored one because he was so late to the area and wasn't picked up).

Edited by The9

Even at his peak, Lambert never really caused the better teams any problems, other than occasionally with set pieces. He was simply too imobile and lacking in agility. He was very easy for good defenders to marshall.

That's not to say he wasn't brilliant, overall for us - of course he was. But he was never, by any stretch, an elite player.

He scored against Man Utd, Man City, Liverpool, Chelsea. Don't recall a goal against Arsenal but think he might have got one for Liverpool against them.

It was the complete lack of offering any kind of outlet whatsoever at Arsenal in the first Prem season back up that made me realise we could only get so far with him up top. Whilst we were outclassed all over the pitch and even the likes of Clyne were making basic errors, it was the total isolation and failure to get anything down all game long that showed he was never going to be up there with the likes of Lukaku and Benteke, purely because he just didn't make life difficult enough and didn't have the threat to drop deep and help out whilst still offering a threat up front. Compared to Lambert, Pelle's movement and ability to link in midfield and get up top to offer an option in the box is superb.

He did well against Man City in the first game back up, but that match saw us playing some weird tactics and he hadn't even started the match so he had a lot more freshness than usual when he made his impact (and even in that game we suffered from his slowness in breaking upfield from defending corners a couple of times, but we also scored one because he was so late to the area and wasn't picked up).

I don't get these arguments at all, any of them. Even the final comment "we also scored one because he was so late to the area and wasn't picked up", reads like a criticism or an accidental consequence of alleged slowness to get in the box.

It really is pathetic the way the press (with the help of agents no doubt) desperately try to generate excitement by "linking" just about any player with any of the so-called "big" clubs every day.

I suppose there is no real football news and it's the only way they can sell papers, pandering to the huge swathes of plastic supporters. The mere fact that one paper can list Manure's "top 20" transfer targets, with barely a grain of evidence for any if them, is hilarious.

The truth of the matter is that very few players will move In January so there will be little or no real news, so best prepare for lots more being made up.

Sent from my D6503 using Tapatalk

Shroppie, maybe I am a little sensitive to it, but my view is the press continually want to sell all our players so that they can carry on with their "exodus" stories that they so love writing about us. It seems that we are now firmly seen as a selling club (yes, I know all clubs are) whenever a club comes knocking and one that doesn't really say no very often, and when we do, it is only until the next window. I look to Everton and West Ham to see how they keep hold of their players (or seem to - maybe that is wrong) - it will be interesting to see what happens with Stones, Lukaku, Berkley, et al in the next window or two.

Shroppie, maybe I am a little sensitive to it, but my view is the press continually want to sell all our players so that they can carry on with their "exodus" stories that they so love writing about us. It seems that we are now firmly seen as a selling club (yes, I know all clubs are) whenever a club comes knocking and one that doesn't really say no very often, and when we do, it is only until the next window. I look to Everton and West Ham to see how they keep hold of their players (or seem to - maybe that is wrong) - it will be interesting to see what happens with Stones, Lukaku, Berkley, et al in the next window or two.

I have to agree that the press need stories of plausible possible signings for the likes of Man U, Liverpool etc and they have a mindset that a sale from Saints will be more believable than from other clubs, due largely to them perpetuating the "selling club" image.

And of course it also reinforces the idea that all players really only want to play for a small group of "top" clubs. Which boosts the plastic supporters' attitude of supremacy. And keeps things simpler for them (the press) as they can continue to focus on and glorify just a few clubs.

You are both being over sensitive, big club equals more clicks it's as simple as that. There is no conspiracy, no on going narrative to preserve. Just plain old economics.

Of course every player wants to play for the big boys. But news like this doesn't make it happen, if it's going to happen it will so just sit back and enjoy the ride.

You are both being over sensitive, big club equals more clicks it's as simple as that. There is no conspiracy, no on going narrative to preserve. Just plain old economics.

Of course every player wants to play for the big boys. But news like this doesn't make it happen, if it's going to happen it will so just sit back and enjoy the ride.

Accepted it's economics but sad that so many football "news" stories should be filed under fiction (b0ll0cks section) and there are so many gullible readers ready to lap it up.

And, although these stories don't make things happen, they fuel players' greed and can stir up discontent.

• 1 month later...

There is some truth to this. He wants to stay at Southampton, but heard from a decent source that knows him well that he's pondering Juve, depends on the club really this transfer window. There are rumours that during his so-called "injury lay-off" he was in Turin for talks with Juventus. Wait and see folks.

I still laugh every time I see this story.

This version is a re-heated and warmed over version, simply to fill space and with whatever motive The Mail might have to think they stir interest in a currently moribund transfer window.

It doesn't contain a single quote to provide any justification, other than an old one with Pelle saying what a lovely country Italy is.

I still laugh every time I see this story.

This version is a re-heated and warmed over version, simply to fill space and with whatever motive The Mail might have to think they stir interest in a currently moribund transfer window.

It doesn't contain a single quote to provide any justification, other than an old one with Pelle saying what a lovely country Italy is.

I bet this is true

people were laughing at Caulker going to liverpool a couple of hours before it was announced.

pelle leaving in the summer is nothing worth their while just to fill space

I'd be disappointed if we offered him a contract extension. 31 years old this summer, hopefully Rodriguez back fit and clearly would be the right time to sell and bring in a new striker

100% in agreement. It would be mad to tie him to a new deal , especially before Ron signs one . Another manager might not fancy him and any new deal will be for a large wedge . In some ways his situation is similar to Rickies and it maybe time to cash in . It certainly won't be " meltdown " if we do

Fair enough end of season. But it'll get dressed up as another saints exodus even if we replace him well. Pelle, Wanyama and Mane all in the summer would annoy a lot of fans. Give us about £55-60m? Spend £50m, make a profit again, probably still get mid-table.

& the manager, no doubt.

I bet this is true

people were laughing at Caulker going to liverpool a couple of hours before it was announced.

pelle leaving in the summer is nothing worth their while just to fill space

People are still laughing at Caulker going to Liverpool days after it has happened.

Pelle has never been a success in Italy so you could hardly blame him for wanting a move to those sorts of teams.

If he went in the summer it wouldn't be a disaster. Overall he would have made a good contribution and been an important signing at a crucial time.

I would wish him well.

As long as its not motivated by socerer les and his apprentice wee ross thinking they can recoup the fee on him, with age and contract pointing in the other direction.

Pelle's been an excellent signing and succeeded where many other, bigger name strikers have failed.

Unlike Lambert, Pelle's got plenty of tread left on the tires -and I'd be happy to offer him a new contract or take the hit and let his contract run down. With strikers, its definitely a case of bird in the hand is worth two in the bush and is hugely preferable to Les and Ross trying to conjure up goals with their moneyball.

Edited by shurlock

Have to say i won't be overly upset if he moves on. We've looked a better team with him not in it and if he wants to move to a big club in his home country then why begrudge that l. We have long, Austin and JRod to come back - maybe try and get a decent defender off Juve in the deal

Have to say i won't be overly upset if he moves on. We've looked a better team with him not in it and if he wants to move to a big club in his home country then why begrudge that l. We have long, Austin and JRod to come back - maybe try and get a decent defender off Juve in the deal

I think you need to look at the big picture, if Pelle leaves. What about the massive slump in the local economy when the sale of hair products drops by 50%....

A good Euro tournament in the summer would guarantee plenty of interest from top Italian clubs, and (like Lambert).... I wouldn't begrudge him a move away.

By the time a player reaches 30, he ought to have made his career, a move of his own choosing would be no problem from my viewpoint. It's not as if he's 24.. and greedy.

If he gets more goals before the end of the season, then it will only increase his value in an eventual sale, and I can't believe he'd prefer Holland or England over Italy.

A good Euro tournament in the summer would guarantee plenty of interest from top Italian clubs, and (like Lambert).... I wouldn't begrudge him a move away.

By the time a player reaches 30, he ought to have made his career, a move of his own choosing would be no problem from my viewpoint. It's not as if he's 24.. and greedy.

If he gets more goals before the end of the season, then it will only increase his value in an eventual sale, and I can't believe he'd prefer Holland or England over Italy.

Totally with you on this. He came in during a time we needed a striker with experience, someone RK could rely on and be a focal point for the team. He knew Pelle and knew he could trust him. We had just lost Lambert, someone who had dragged the club through the divisions with his goals and ability over the 5 years so needed a replacement who could deal with a bit of pressure to succeed.

Pelle hasnt set the world alight but he's proven to be a solid PL player, however I've got the feeling that even RK has now realised how much more the team is suited to a mobile front man as has proven with Long over the last few weeks. The signing of Austin only reinforces this. Pelle's lack of movement and more often than not, slightly poor hold up play I feel has stifled us over the last couple of seasons. Long's pace and movement has improved players like Steven Davis as he now has more space to work in and has plenty of options when he has the ball - he can chip it to Long, play it in the channel, drop the ball over the top. Austin and Jay Rod will only add more quality and movement in the final third.

When Pelle leaves, all the best to him. Joined in a time of need, got us some important goals to kick-start both seasons, yet you always feel he has that dry spell in him as has proven in both of his seasons here. When the going gets tough, he seems to get wound up easily and appears to lose focus. However, with his PL and now international experience, he'll for sure be a better striker in Italy now than he was many years ago.

As long as its not motivated by socerer les and his apprentice wee ross thinking they can recoup the fee on him, with age and contract pointing in the other direction.

Pelle's been an excellent signing and succeeded where many other, bigger name strikers have failed.

Unlike Lambert, Pelle's got plenty of tread left on the tires -and I'd be happy to offer him a new contract or take the hit and let his contract run down. With strikers, its definitely a case of bird in the hand is worth two in the bush and is hugely preferable to Les and Ross trying to conjure up goals with their moneyball.

Unlike Lambert ? Whats Lambert got to do with this ?

Unless you want to compare Lambert to Pelle when he was 30 ( as Pelle is now ) in which case you're talking about a vastly superior player .

Sent from my SM-G925I using Tapatalk

Unlike Lambert ? Whats Lambert got to do with this ?

Unless you want to compare Lambert to Pelle when he was 30 ( as Pelle is now ) in which case you're talking about a vastly superior player .

Ignore this comment about Lambert , my brain wasn't working . I understand your point although I think Lambert could have still been a success had he stayed .

Personally I wouldn't be unhappy if Pelle left . He holds back the team .

Will be a shame if and when he moves on. He's been a great signing. Really good with the fans, humble and seemed to really want to give his best.

That said we did become very predictable just knocking the ball up to him and letting him flick it on or holding it up. We've looked better recently with extra movement. He also never seems to create a chance for himself.

With the arrival of Austin coupled with his age, the writing is on the wall.

But I'll say again, for 8 million when we were looking for a focal point he was excellent business. I for one wouldn't be disappointed if he stayed to the end of his contract.

Ignore this comment about Lambert , my brain wasn't working . I understand your point although I think Lambert could have still been a success had he stayed .

Personally I wouldn't be unhappy if Pelle left . He holds back the team .

No problem.

I agree to some extent. I certainly don't think his decline would have been as sharp as it has subsequently been at Liverpool/WBA, though I do think we had seen the best of him -and the club's decision to entertain offers was largely justified.

With the Austin signing, I'm now less opposed to selling Pelle, though preferably that'll be at the end of the season once we've had a chance to see how Austin settles in and whether we can play to his strengths.