Saints 0 Spurs 2 Merry Christmas!!!

Ohio Saint

Some have had their head in the sands all season. I always felt we would be in a relegation fight and we need to roll up our sleeves and start scrapping. Thank goodness we are out of Europe and the League Cup, I think we need an early exit out of the FA Cup and concentrate our energies on staying up. We are in for an exciting ride !

Delight for the Dalek. Possibility of relegation!

Sent from my D6503 using Tapatalk

Some have had their head in the sands all season. I always felt we would be in a relegation fight and we need to roll up our sleeves and start scrapping. Thank goodness we are out of Europe and the League Cup, I think we need an early exit out of the FA Cup and concentrate our energies on staying up. We are in for an exciting ride !

if you u ever went to a game you wouldnt be describing it as an exciting ride

Delight for the Dalek. Possibility of relegation!

No, I don't want relegation. However, at least now people are being realistic about our chances this season. Lets hope club and fans knuckle down and are prepared for the fight to retain our EPL status. As I have said many times, this is what matters.

We were told by the brains trust on here that it is not (always) necessary to turn a profit or even recoup some of the transfer fee for a player - simply having their services for the entire duration of the contract is good value in itself.

To be honest I don't think I can remember many discussions about that particular issue.

But personally I'd like Mane here scoring 15 goals a season until he retires in 10 years time.

That, for me would be better than flogging him to recoup the transfer fee which is what you seem to be suggesting we simply must do.

Why are so many people choosing now to point out that Wanyama can't pass the football? He is one of the least talented passes of the ball I have ever seen at this level and that was obvious from minute one of his first game. His passing isn't going to improve, not in the short term or the long.

So what does that say about the manager who picks him week week out? Or about the alternatives if they really are worse than him.

While Koeman keeps selecting Wanyama I can't support him. Pelle needs a rest too. Get Austin in the window and bring Pelle back in a month or so once he is no longer the focus of a long ball game and an easy out. That tactic has run its course, it's just exposing his lack of first touch and ability to read the game. He is a finisher, and that's it. Hope Koeman walks the talk now - changes needed, so start by sacking off Wanyama to another club and benching Pelle.

Rewound it and he said it. Ridiculous.

We looked terrible in the highlights, terrible. Koeman fuming, but I think this is his doing.

Yeah nothing to do with the board selling our best three players in summer (well Toby was loan) and replacing it with mostly dross.

While Koeman keeps selecting Wanyama I can't support him. Pelle needs a rest too. Get Austin in the window and bring Pelle back in a month or so once he is no longer the focus of a long ball game and an easy out. That tactic has run its course, it's just exposing his lack of first touch and ability to read the game. He is a finisher, and that's it. Hope Koeman walks the talk now - changes needed, so start by sacking off Wanyama to another club and benching Pelle.

Both are poor but long shown nothing to suggest he will be better.

Edited by Roger

If they want to leave, it's not easy to keep them. The key issue is moving the club forward to the point where players dont want to leave.

Will Leicester keep Vardy? With the pay other clubs can offer, they'll struggle

Bet they don't sell 9 in two seasons of their best players and let all 3 best players go in one summer.

Rewound it and he said it. Ridiculous.

We looked terrible in the highlights, terrible. Koeman fuming, but I think this is his doing.

He's got him mixed up with that other class young striker that spurs loaned us a few years ago, thomas Pekhart, which is an easy mistake to make.

And yes, we looked terrible in the highlights, again. Sloppy goals and poor finishing, yet again.

Yeah nothing to do with the board selling our best three players in summer (well Toby was loan) and replacing it with mostly dross.

You think Koeman had nothing to do with signing Clasie from Feyenoord and fellow Dutchman Virgil who we also tried to sign last summer and fellow Dutchman Stekenlenburg. I'd say he was more influential in signing three of our key recruits than this mysterious "board" you refer too. So, at best, you can blame "the board" for Cedric and Romeu. Romeu who used to play at, er, Barcelona and also at, well, Valencia. Such a strange coincidence.

He signed players for fees in excess of anything Leicester paid this summer and can put out a team with multiple £10m players in defence, midfield, attack and on the bench, with one on goal when fit. He has the tools.

You think Koeman had nothing to do with signing Clasie from Feyenoord and fellow Dutchman Virgil who we also tried to sign last summer and fellow Dutchman Stekenlenburg. I'd say he was more influential in signing three of our key recruits than this mysterious "board" you refer too. So, at best, you can blame "the board" for Cedric and Romeu. Romeu who used to play at, er, Barcelona and also at, well, Valencia. Such a strange coincidence.

He signed players for fees in excess of anything Leicester paid this summer and can put out a team with multiple £10m players in defence, midfield, attack and on the bench, with one on goal when fit. He has the tools.

Stek hasn't been bad, clasie looked good today and van diyk decent although not as good as Toby so weird point you made. So the recruitment department blown it with the rest.

Martina, cedric, Juanmi, caulker, long last summer.

Apart from Cedric, who was our front line replacement for Clyne and I agree hasn't quite been up to it, who are the others "replacements" for?

Caulker is cover for Gardos and third/fourth choice CB. Juanmi is a replacement for who? Elia? Who was a replacement for no one, maybe Jay Rod. Who is still here.

And you're blaming "the board" for signing a player who spent a year playing under, er, Erwin Koeman. Damn that board.

But yeah. I'd say Caulker and Martina and Juanmi and "the board" are definitely to blame today.

Apart from Cedric, who was our front line replacement for Clyne and I agree hasn't quite been up to it, who are the others "replacements" for?

Caulker is cover for Gardos and third/fourth choice CB. Juanmi is a replacement for who? Elia? Who was a replacement for no one.

And you're blaming "the board" for signing a player who spent a year playing under, er, Erwin Koeman. Damn that board.

Vvd is worse than Toby, clasie worse than Morgan, cedric worse than Clyne. We would struggle to find any better than any of those. Perhaps if we paid higher wages by a bit it would help keep them. 9 players in two seasons gone. Anyway, I don't want to argue about it I respect opinion.

Vvd is worse than Toby, clasie worse than Morgan, cedric worse than Clyne. We would struggle to find any better than any of those. Perhaps if we paid higher wages by a bit it would help keep them. 9 players in two seasons gone. Anyway, I don't want to argue about it I respect opinion.

Make your mind up. They're all dross then. Fine, if you think so.

When you sell a player to Manchester United for £28m quid, it is likely you will end up with a player worse than that player in his place. Otherwise Manchester United would have bought that player instead.

Koeman has millions of pounds worth of players all over the pitch. It's his team.

Edited by CB Fry

Make your mind up. They're all dross then. Fine, if you think so.

When you sell a player to Manchester United for £28m quid, it is likely you will end up with a player worse than that player in his place. Otherwise Manchester United would have bought that player instead.

Koeman has millions of pounds worth of players all over the pitch. It's his team.

Coming from the like who thought we had kane on loan!

Koeman had a great gameplan. This one is absolutely not on him.

He puts Davis as an attacking right midfielder to protect Cedric. But it wasen't enough. Cedric defended like a ten year old. He has good tackes sparingly but just no defending IQ.

Let's face it, he is not mentally prepared for this, just doesen't have a clue, he switches off and players make runs behind him all the time. He couldn't track Alli all game, come on!

He should play as a winger, he is no RB. He has the technique and the crossing ability, maybe not enough pace but he is not a defender. Get someone who can actually do it.

Great idea to play Mane as a shadow striker behind Pelle. Tadic once again doing all the playmaking, he sets up Mane but Sadio did everything right today but the finish.

Mane was the MOM, he proved a point. Great effort.

The high press was working too, and that kind of game suits Clasie who had also had a good game.

Cedric was horrible but what about Pelle? Was he unfit? That was one of the worse games since he came to the team. The plan of him being the

feeding through balls just isn't working. Get in behind, make runs, make the life difficult to the oposing FB. They will take looking him passing the ball 30 yards away from the goal all day.

VVD just too frustrated out there, not thinking properly. This is the third stright poor game he is had. Bertrand and Fonte, just average.

Only if Long did ANYTHING to deserve a start it would be something different. But what does Koeman have to do? Where is his fault on this one?

His plan was working, the high pressure, Mane making runs, Tadic feeding him. Just lacked the finish and in the other end they just defend soo poorly that it's embarrasing.

Koeman has made a lot of mistakes but this one he is off the hook, the players lose this match. Especially the second goal when they just switch off, they go "here we go again", no determination.

They feel sorry for themselves and start looking how Tottenham score without even breaking a sweat.

It's time to bring in a quality Striker and a proper RB. Time to splash the chash.

How is Koeman blameless ? Central midfield was awful defensively. Wanyama gets picked despite his form . Clasie gets bypassed in that position.

Koeman engineered this situation

Sent from my SM-G925I using Tapatalk

I think its a significant factor, hence my post.

We're not a bad team, weren't a bad team today.

But I've never seen a Saints's side struggle going a goal down, psychologically, like that.

Too right. Soon as that goal went in I knew the game was over, because the players acted like it.

I got up at 4am to watch this game as it was free to air on TV One. Really wish I hadn't. It's one thing to read about the poor performance by some of our players on this site but seeing it for yourself really is depressing.

It really stood out how poor Wanyama is at the moment. His body language on the pitch really seemed to resemble someone who had no passion for the team he is playing for and just coulnd't be that bothered whether he played or not.

It then seemed that the entire team felt the same after the first 10 - 15 minutes and almost gave up as they weren't getting anywhere. After the first goal they simply capitulated. A sad sign indeed. It was fortunate that spuds weren't at the top of their game as it could have been much worse.

Even after the hour mark, there was no real spark when Long and Juanmi came on. Long was his usual awful self while this was the first time I've seen Juanmi play. And on his performance, I hope it's the last.

While there were some good individual performances (Soares, Tadic, Bertrand at times), it's hard to see where the improvement is going to come from. We are a far shodow our where we were last season and while relegation isn't a real danger, and the likes of Chelsea and Man U probably have bigger problems (especially when you compare with $ spent), it's hard to see how we'll get anything from the net few games....

Sad thing is that we actually played better today than we have in a while and caused spurs problems with some good pressing play then get undone and all the confidence drains out of the team.

The ref and linesman must have been wearing spuds shirts for letting them get away with some very dangerous tackles whilst punishing Saints for the slightest hint of a foul. Letting spuds get away with time wasting just like villa did and allowing Alli to remain on the pitch for two nasty challenges in quick succession and Erickson to go in with an elbow on Van Dijk. Sad thing is that last season that would have fired up our players, now though they just weakly get on with it, someone needs to be a leader out there and to gee the others up when calls go against us or we go a goal down just like Morgan used to.

I agree it's time that some of the youth players were given a chance and from what I've seen of Harry Reed he is more than capable of playing at this level and would bring some much needed energy to the team as would Seager or McQueen. The Ten million pound players have had more than enough chances and failed to deliver, so let's try something different.

Lastly let's make Mane' s job a bit easier and give the opposition team something more to think about by keeping him pushed up when we are defending rather than losing his best attributes by bringing him back all of the time.

Just buying players doesn't seem to be the answer as seen at ManU ! with no win in 6 games after massive investment . They seem to be playing a similar game to Saints with the accent on defending and not getting forward quickly enough to cause opposition much of a problem coupled with missing scoring chances . We need someone who can shoot up front Pelle has a good shot on him but seems to go for the near impossible flick / deflection etc when trying to score .

Perhaps Ron has got fed up with lack of investment and has now hit a brick wall like Jose M. With Van G. now looking dodgy perhaps clubs/fans need to reset their expectations in future . In the mean time I would like to see Saints players and Ron start to play with a bit of joy , slagging your team off in public doesn't usually work . Hoping for a burst of form soon before we make the next trip down , even a surprise Jan signing . PS Wanyama's passing , well I remember him passing from his own half to put one of our men in on goal but it beat everyone and went for a goal kick !

Yeah, that sucked. They were all so desperate to stay too.

Doesn't matter if they were desperate to stay.

We never had to sell as many as we did

Granted, players in the last year of their contract is a deferent story. But all of them?

Nah, club chose to do that

Players have all the power, anyone who thinks we can keep players when other teams offer double their salary & CL potential are mad.

Stones has a 3 or 4 year contract & they pay bigger salaries than us. They also are a bigger football club than us.

Think we were 17th in the salary table. Finishing mid table is actually quite an achievement.

Let's see if Mahrez & Vardy stay at Leicester next season. What they have dine is incredible. That said, they have also has zero injuries & more than a fair share of good luck.

Our stadium, history, financial status & fan base means we are a mid table side at best.

Have a feeling last season was the pinnacle & all the CL BS was exactly that, BS!

Les Read milking it was a mistake IMHO. I am sure some numpties were congratulating ya on how well the club was run under Rupert Lowe. That ended well............

We lack pace, width & at the moment desire.

Would rather recall Stephens, Gallagher & Isgrove..........& that is saying something!!

We have First choice players struggling for form and confidence, but that shouldn't be a problem as the squad is stronger now, apparently, with lots of competition for places...

The biggest disappointment about all of this is that we had the best TEAM we have had for years and we wasted it by not trying to win a cup competition. That tiny window before top class players moved on has closed and now it really is all about the league.

We have had an amazing five or six years I guess, the question is can we retain our premiership status whilst this new team is being built.

Granted, players in the last year of their contract is a deferent story. But all of them?

Toby was a year long loan signing and chose Spurs over us when his loan period was up.

Clyne chose not to sign a new contract and chose to go to Liverpool.

Morgan clearly wanted to go the previous season but we got one more year out of him.

We finished seventh last season with the highest points total ever achieved in the Prem era. We made some changes as you say but ended up with a better team.

Really palpable now how that fact has annoyed certain people on this forum so much now desperate to have another bite of the cherry. Let's just pretend last season didn't happen.

We have First choice players struggling for form and confidence, but that shouldn't be a problem as the squad is stronger now, apparently, with lots of competition for places...

The biggest disappointment about all of this is that we had the best TEAM we have had for years and we wasted it by not trying to win a cup competition. That tiny window before top class players moved on has closed and now it really is all about the league.

We have had an amazing five or six years I guess, the question is can we retain our premiership status whilst this new team is being built.

Yeap... We sure do gotta stronger squad eh!

The most frustrating thing is that teams don't even need to be that good to beat us at the moment. They know they just have to contain our (minimal) attacking threat and wait for us to gift them a goal or two.

And that makes it even harder for the team... a downward spiral! They all need to get that fighting spirit back and work hard together. It was sad to see the midfield waltz around and miss crucial tackles, the defence make mistakes and the frontline miss chances.

The financial rules prevent us paying competitive wages but the list of inadequate players is endless. Jaunmmi useless. Romelu etc

Long s attempt on goal or cross was laughable , tacdic left huge gaps by not defending , pelle missing the ball in the six yard box

The trouble is there is no solution certainly not on the bench

Just to add to this, I swear I remember a clip of someone (it may even have been Koeman) saying that Koeman called up Barcelona to ask after the personality/character of Romeu. So, as you imply, clearly his signing. And I definitely recall Reed saying that Koeman has final say/preference on transfers (which probably applies to the majority of activity - although whether ended up with his first choice targets is up for debate/will never be known).

Started the game very well, on the front foot, really aggressive and positive in winning the ball back. They couldn't handle us at the start and we really, really, really should have scored - Mane needed to put that either side. Could have been a totally different game then.

The goal went in and that was it though, confidence drained and we drifted away. We were beaten after that and it was a hard watch for the rest of the game.

Started the game very well, on the front foot, really aggressive and positive in winning the ball back. They couldn't handle us at the start and we really, really, really should have scored - Mane needed to put that either side. Could have been a totally different game then.

The goal went in and that was it though, confidence drained and we drifted away. We were beaten after that and it was a hard watch for the rest of the game.

Spot on.

Saw the goals on MOTD and was screaming at the TV for someone to take down Kane. Really pathetic. Showed a lack of commitment.

The second goal was one of the worst I've seen us concede since the dark days. Appalling.

Haven't watched them back (and they were both at the other end of the ground to me) but the second looked pretty similar to Cabaye last week in terms of marking in the box

Cedric was poor today, but I still think he has decent potential. Comical five mins before half time was a shame as we'd done ok and been better side in first half. Wanyama seems to have thrown in the towel. Drop him and sell him.

Cedric is poor anyway. He makes a very good winger but seems to have no idea of his primary responsibility; defence. I agree VW seems disinterested and slow and it might be time to cash in on him. Plus ship out some of the makeweights signed last tome round.