Saints 0 Spurs 2 Merry Christmas!!!

Ohio Saint

Just to add to this, I swear I remember a clip of someone (it may even have been Koeman) saying that Koeman called up Barcelona to ask after the personality/character of Romeu. So, as you imply, clearly his signing. And I definitely recall Reed saying that Koeman has final say/preference on transfers (which probably applies to the majority of activity - although whether ended up with his first choice targets is up for debate/will never be known).

absolutely no doubt who has the largest input on transfers. Its his team, his squad made up of his signings. We may have made 7th last season but its a fine line between winning and los ing games and the loss of one or two players can make enough of a difference to see us falling the wrong side of that line

Just to add to this, I swear I remember a clip of someone (it may even have been Koeman) saying that Koeman called up Barcelona to ask after the personality/character of Romeu. So, as you imply, clearly his signing. And I definitely recall Reed saying that Koeman has final say/preference on transfers (which probably applies to the majority of activity - although whether ended up with his first choice targets is up for debate/will never be known).

I wonder what he asked them: "Will he be happy to sit on the bench while Victor flounces around midfield ineffectively?"

I was genuinely happy with the first 15 - thought our attitude was excellent, reminded me a bit of our start against Man U without the goal. Then 2 sloppy goals and everyone knew that was that - players, coaches and fans. Can't comment on 2nd half as I assumed it would be the usual going through motions so didn't bother to watch. That game sadly showed that Toby is a better cb than VVD - he was excellent. We clearly need a game where we score in the first 15m and then try and hold on, I'm very worried about not only the mental fragility (which had been a strength last 2 yrs) but also fitness which seems worse than all other clubs bar Villa. Arsenal isn't a write off but we will need to convert an early chance - even a point will do to stop the rot

I was genuinely happy with the first 15 - thought our attitude was excellent, reminded me a bit of our start against Man U without the goal. Then 2 sloppy goals and everyone knew that was that - players, coaches and fans. Can't comment on 2nd half as I assumed it would be the usual going through motions so didn't bother to watch. That game sadly showed that Toby is a better cb than VVD - he was excellent. We clearly need a game where we score in the first 15m and then try and hold on, I'm very worried about not only the mental fragility (which had been a strength last 2 yrs) but also fitness which seems worse than all other clubs bar Villa. Arsenal isn't a write off but we will need to convert an early chance - even a point will do to stop the rot

Always going to be the case against a pochettino side. Once they're ahead they aren't likely to ship anything defensively. I remember one of his first interviews when he was here, "the defence starts with Rickie Lambert."

Always going to be the case against a pochettino side. Once they're ahead they aren't likely to ship anything defensively. I remember one of his first interviews when he was here, "the defence starts with Rickie Lambert."

newcastle came from behind to win last week at whie hart lane. its not spurs strength that was the problem, more our weakness. We dont believe in what we are do

ng anymore.

Always going to be the case against a pochettino side. anything defensivelyOnce they're ahead they aren't likely to ship . I remember one of his first interviews when he was here, "the defence starts with Rickie Lambert."

Did you not see them against Newcastle last week-end ? Then again that was probably down to their Thursday game.

Little harsh on Davis. Lots of people being hypocritical about him - seems he has a blinder and is MoM one game, bringing energy and creativity, and the next he's some ageing donkey who lets the game pass him by. Perhaps though his inconsistency is the thing that's bothersome.

Not exactly like he's alone in that regard, tho

Unlike some on here I've never rated him as I think he is a bottler. He nearly makes tackles but not quite, he nearly closes down but is just too late, he will always avoid a hard tackle unless he can nip in from the side and tip the ball away. He made two good passes yesterday but mostly stayed out of the action and spoilt it by giving the ball away for the first goal but worse tracked back and when Soares was caught on the wrong side of Kane had the chance to make a crunching tackle on his strong foot and pulled out and let him go. He has often partly tracked players but let them go because he didn't have the determination to stick with it. He is an expert at playing meaningless sideways and backward passes when not under pressure, but under pressure bottles it and just mostly unloads, often to a worse placed colleague or like yesterday to an opponent. I will be glad when he has gone somewhere else.

Haven't watched them back (and they were both at the other end of the ground to me) but the second looked pretty similar to Cabaye last week in terms of marking in the box

Soares was again facing the wrong way and let Dele Alli in behind him. He needs to learn how to face the play, that's the coaches job and by the looks of it, if our shooting (side footing, eg Mane and JWP not for the first time yesterday.) is anything to go by there is precious little of that. One day a Saints player will hit a shot that will break the back of the net by putting his foot through the ball but probably not in my lifetime. When was the last time JWP used his left foot to shoot?

I don't think we are fit enough

I don't think the side has character

Hardly anyone can shoot accurately

Get those things right and we might yet stand a chance.

Interesting. Is this because we have become complacent over the summer or is it for other reasons ? I must admit, I was very worried at the start of the season and felt we would have a tough season ahead.

Interesting. Is this because we have become complacent over the summer or is it for other reasons ? I must admit, I was very worried at the start of the season and felt we would have a tough season ahead.

just as well club wasnt complacent and engineered that european exit...

Sounds pedantic but I think he had a crack with his left in the Stoke game which got blocked...

He should start scoring with his right foot first!

Watch him when he is a substitute, during the half time kick around, the ball never touches his left foot and even if he is hitting a shot at the empty goal, mostly missing, it is a right footed side foot. If he had smashed the ball by putting his foot through it yesterday and put it on target Lloris wouldn't have got near it.

we've won just 7 of our last 25 premier league games - that's a 28% win ratio - firm relegation form

as I said on another thread, whilst other teams are investing and improving each year, we are using the team from two seasons ago as some sort of benchmark. That's not development, its standing still and other clubs are steadily getting better than us

the club need to properly invest in the team even to keep up with the rest, if we don't then our relegation is inevitable

the other factor is team spirit, which we haven't really had all season - this is RKs responsibility and he needs to step up

OK, so you assert that the club was not complacent. Then, why did it not strengthen sufficiently in the summer ?
youve tied yourself into a knot. I havent said the club were or werent complacent, I have merely questioned the incompatability of your two lines of thought. Stick to the hoddle was the second coming, hopefully we we finish 17th posts.

we've won just 7 of our last 25 premier league games - that's a 28% win ratio - firm relegation form

as I said on another thread, whilst other teams are investing and improving each year, we are using the team from two seasons ago as some sort of benchmark. That's not development, its standing still and other clubs are steadily getting better than us

the club need to properly invest in the team even to keep up with the rest, if we don't then our relegation is inevitable

the other factor is team spirit, which we haven't really had all season - this is RKs responsibility and he needs to step up

:scared:

youve tied yourself into a knot. I havent said the club were or werent complacent, I have merely questioned the incompatability of your two lines of thought. Stick to the hoddle was the second coming, hopefully we we finish 17th posts.

I am very clear in my thinking. I will spell it out for you.

The club was realistic about not being prepared for A European campaign and so would not have been too unhappy to exit in the early stages.

The club was unduly complacent about the quality of the squad regarding the EPL campaign.

Now where you find a knot in that thinking is beyond me.

Exactly, and some of us where aware of our bad late form masking our overall finish in the league.

Fonte unusually last week called for signings in January. That looks like the better players aren't convinced at the team selections. May be Ron's favourites not delivering is coming home to roost and there is division in the dressing room. Bertrand certainly doesn't look happy and Koeman was having a non smiling chat with him in training last Thursday. If some of the players are giving less than 100% that will quickly cause friction. Unless Koeman gets 18 players out every match giving 100% we will continue to struggle. So leave anybody out who is coasting because it affects the players that give everything.

Fonte unusually last week called for signings in January. That looks like the better players aren't convinced at the team selections. May be Ron's favourites not delivering is coming home to roost and there is division in the dressing room. Bertrand certainly doesn't look happy and Koeman was having a non smiling chat with him in training last Thursday. If some of the players are giving less than 100% that will quickly cause friction. Unless Koeman gets 18 players out every match giving 100% we will continue to struggle. So leave anybody out who is coasting because it affects the players that give everything.

If you are correct, it is very worrying and will need to be addressed quickly.

Sounds like we've got a mini-Mourinho situation on our hands. Portends badly.

Sounds like we've got a mini-Mourinho situation on our hands. Portends badly.

I don't know about a 'mini' rebellion. Our form is seriously dreadful. I hope that RK has not lost the dressing room or he will have to go for the good of the club.

Brendan Rogers ... ? only joking !

Koeman needs to sort it out. Bizarre team selections and tactics that don't deliver don't help. Bertrand looked pretty angry at the Liverpool three at the back debacle and hasn't been the same since. Wanyama, VVD for all his talent, Davis are a lot of the time strolling but always picked. We cannot afford to play players that are not brave enough or giving everything because the others will react and that causes problems.

I don't think we have a bad team. I don't think we have a bad squad. I do agree with Ron that the players have to give 100% (I think he said more than 100%) in every game and they are not doing that. They had something to prove last season and this season you have to wonder if they are living on past glories and have taken their foot off the gas. We have seen what they can do this season when they get it together so we know it is there. The players need to start earning their pay.

Koeman needs to sort it out. Bizarre team selections and tactics that don't deliver don't help. Bertrand looked pretty angry at the Liverpool three at the back debacle and hasn't been the same since. Wanyama, VVD for all his talent, Davis are a lot of the time strolling but always picked. We cannot afford to play players that are not brave enough or giving everything because the others will react and that causes problems.

Hammered by Liverpool who have just been hammered by Watford! That's where we are Koeman. Sort it or go!

Very interesting first point about the fitness. It does worry me that we quickly run out of steam after the opening 20-30 minutes where we look pretty good, yesterday and Liverpool being a case in point.

Take Tadic, in both those matches he has slaughtered the full back for 20 minutes then it all stops and he doesn't do it again. Why /

What is the relevance of 25 games?

You might as well round it up to 2015 as a whole which is usually not far off 38 games. I imagine it is nearly as bad as that and also a better indication of long term form.

You might as well round it up to 2015 as a whole which is usually not far off 38 games. I imagine it is nearly as bad as that and also a better indication of long term form.

12 wins from 36 league games

I am very clear in my thinking. I will spell it out for you.

The club was realistic about not being prepared for A European campaign and so would not have been too unhappy to exit in the early stages.

The club was unduly complacent about the quality of the squad regarding the EPL campaign.

Now where you find a knot in that thinking is beyond me.

I don't, but that line of thinking is different from what you posted earlier,which was that the club engineered its exit from Europe rather than to not be unhappy by its exit.

Well, I could say go back to the start of 2014, which would on your logic be an even better indication of long term form.

If your engine began to misfire 6 months ago would you tell yourself its really ok because on average over the last year (or two) its been ok?

Your logic is nonsense.

Sometimes qualitative analysis is better than quantitative.

Spot on did you watch the subs at half time? Spurs were fitness training no ball in sight. Ours were ambling about pinging it aimlessly.

Spurs were fitter stronger with a game plan. We are blowing out of our Arse after 20.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Spot on did you watch the subs at half time? Spurs were fitness training no ball in sight. Ours were ambling about pinging it aimlessly.

Spurs were fitter stronger with a game plan. We are blowing out of our Arse after 20.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

the pochettino fitness has been slowly sold/trained out of our squad.

Ron even said that we did too much hard training without the ball, when he first arrived and changed it

obviously, we had a great season last year. probably an element of MPs fitness/mentality with Ron's.

Then again, we were not too great after xmas last year. In fact, the whole of 2015 has been relegation form

Name your charity JRM. I was only 1 goal out though. Still a **** result.

I think the Saints foundation having read this week about their awards and the excellent work done in the local community.

If not them then the samaritans as I think several people from this forum could do with giving them a call.

Disappointing result - agreed.

Confidence crisis needs some luck to turn us around, perhaps a lucky pen or own goal on boxing day will help.

Of course this season is disappointing at the moment, makes me sick losing to Spurs but the sense of entitlement among some of our fans is ridiculous.

Not going to read through rest of this doom mongering but if anyone on here has the pleasure of meeting Dalek please do us all a favour sign him up for a carer, he must be a very lonely, sad individual in need of friends / help.

Well, I could say go back to the start of 2014, which would on your logic be an even better indication of long term form.

If your engine began to misfire 6 months ago would you tell yourself its really ok because on average over the last year (or two) its been ok?

Your logic is nonsense.

Sometimes qualitative analysis is better than quantitative.

So 25 games is qualitative analysis but 38 games is quantative? I'd suggest you don't have a fu cking clue what those two words mean.

I was perfectly happy with 25 but 25 games is a no more logical choice than 30, 23, 27, 20 or whatever.

My question about the calendar year was a follow up question and at least gives a reflection of a full season rather than this season plus 8 games from the previous season tacked on the beginning. Not 6, not 5, but 8. Must be 8. Not sure why though. Must be "qualitative", though.

I don't think "everything is ok" anyway, so Christ knows what you're going on about.

Edited by CB Fry

12 wins from 36 league games

Good stat Brett. 9 draws from those fixtures as well which gives us 45 points, over a 38 games season that equals 47, so enough to finish around 11 or 12 based in last seasons table. Maybe things aren't as bad as you and the other helmets on here like to make out.

Good stat Brett. 9 draws from those fixtures as well which gives us 45 points, over a 38 games season that equals 47, so enough to finish around 11 or 12 based in last seasons table. Maybe things aren't as bad as you and the other helmets on here like to make out.

never had you down as one to trawl through a years worth of league games to make a point on a "mong-board"

nice one mate

The last seven home games we have only scored in the second half against Villa two times, only one from openplay; we are clearly nowhere near as fit as 2013 - no stamina, no energy, no fight even when only a goal down, and no ideas! The 3 subs yesterday all caused immense frustration, where are the young lads coming through? Harrison Reed? So disappointing….

quote_icon.png Originally Posted by brett24 viewpost-right.png

Gazza

Cedric

Fonte

VVD

Bertrand

Wanyama

Clasie

Davis

Pelle

Tadic

Mane

Prediction - Take a point.

Probably our best back-to-basics side but not sure it's enough to win the game?

This side with four 8's and four 9's would give most people a game but we seem to be stuck in the 4's-5's-6's at the moment.

Can't really see past a 0-2 but I'm always happy to be proved wrong.

From the Sunday Times Nick Townsend who's pretty fair;

Gazza 6

Ced 5

JF 6

VVD 5

RB 6

Classy 6

VW 6 (WTF?)

Davis 6

Mane 6

Tadic 5

Pele 6 (WTF?)

I don't do lottery numbers but Saints 0 Arsenal 3 is worth a tenner of anybody's hard-earned.