Man U build up thread

vince

If it is the case i'd really like us to give Reed a go in that role, won't happen though.

Won't be Reed. Either Tadic or JWP, although if Clasie and Wanyama are the defensive two, I'd be interested to Give Romeu a chance there.

If it is the case i'd really like us to give Reed a go in that role, won't happen though.

Sent from my D6503 using Tapatalk

Won't be Reed. Either Tadic or JWP, although if Clasie and Wanyama are the defensive two, I'd be interested to Give Romeu a chance there.

Sent from my D6503 using Tapatalk

Can't see it being Tadic, lacks the attributes fill in for Davis, especially away from home. Assume it'll be JWP after his goals last week.

Think the balance would be better served by (Wanyama/Romeu), (clasie/JWP), (Davis/Reed) pairings

Why is having 3 attacking players "Kamikaze" if there are 3 centre backs, 2 wing backs and 2 defensive midfielders behind them?

He probably thinks, as do I, that having three players on the pitch who contribute nothing defensively is a little risky when playing away at the team 5th in the table. We know Mane doesn't do much defensively to the point Koeman plays Yoshida at right back when Mane plays wide. And we know that two forwards don't defend (because they shouldn't).

I can't remember the last time we started three players on the pitch who don't help out defensively. I am sure someone can enlighten me, but I am fairly sure we don't do it much and certainly not away from home.

He probably thinks, as do I, that having three players on the pitch who contribute nothing defensively is a little risky when playing away at the team 5th in the table. We know Mane doesn't do much defensively to the point Koeman plays Yoshida at right back when Mane plays wide. And we know that two forwards don't defend (because they shouldn't).

I can't remember the last time we started three players on the pitch who don't help out defensively. I am sure someone can enlighten me, but I am fairly sure we don't do it much and certainly not away from home.

Pretty weird to think Long doesn't help out defensively.

He probably thinks' date=' as do I, that having three players on the pitch who [b']contribute nothing defensively[/b] is a little risky when playing away at the team 5th in the table. We know Mane doesn't do much defensively to the point Koeman plays Yoshida at right back when Mane plays wide. And we know that two forwards don't defend (because they shouldn't).

What is your definition of helping out defensively, because if you press high you need the forwards to do a lot of work which both Mane and Long do. That is helping out defensively.

Pretty weird to think Long doesn't help out defensively.

He'll work hard in his part of the pitch. But when the other team are attacking he's not a part of the play when he starts as a striker. He's not tracking runners, he's not goal side of the ball, he's not a part of the defensive unit that works off the ball. He'll defend as much as a striker does.

What is your definition of helping out defensively, because if you press high you need the forwards to do a lot of work which both Mane and Long do. That is helping out defensively.

That is a fair point about pressing but I suppose my definition is a set of players who are expected to contribute significantly in defending when we don't have the ball. I don't expect the strikers to do that much beyond a press and not making it easy to pass out of defence and we know Mane switches off defensively as I said. I like Mane centrally but behind a striker and not behind two as defensively I think we leave ourselves very exposed.

That is a fair point about pressing but I suppose my definition is a set of players who are expected to contribute significantly in defending when we don't have the ball. I don't expect the strikers to do that much beyond a press and not making it easy to pass out of defence and we know Mane switches off defensively as I said. I like Mane centrally but behind a striker and not behind two as defensively I think we leave ourselves very exposed.

We'd probably have 7 defensively minded players plus the keeper. I'm not sure what else beyond pressing you want the 3 attacking players in a 3-5-2 system to do. If they are constantly deep we'd have no outlet.

Davis definately out is it just speculation?

Speculation based on available evidence. May be ********, just offered up as an observation. Perhaps he was doing an interview at the time. Ronald did hint at a few minor issues, though he only specifically mentioned Pelle's knee.

Would have thought if Davis isn't available then play Clasie in his place with Wanyama and either Romeu or JWP.

Edited by VectisSaint

I'd say it's more positional. Mane in that role tends to play more of a support striker whereas Davis more of central midfielder that gets forward. It might work in a 3-5-2 but where Mane has played the attacking midfielder in a 4-3-3 there has been a gaping hole between midfield and attack, meaning we struggle to build attacks and when the opposition pick up the ball in defence they can carry it about 20 yards before they even see a Saints player.

So do you expect mane to attack as aggresively as he does then instantly be sprinting back and defending? Are cb's aren't sprinting up the pitch taking on loads of players then running back and defending, with possible exception of vvd at times. Unrealistic to expect any player to constantly be working.

My cloakroom/WC analysis for what it's worth;

Haven't felt truly positive and excited about Saints momentum at any point this season until now. Felt we haven't done anything about our stagnant form from the end of last season and suspect certain player attitudes have played a part. I suspect one too many players thought they were 'stars' and already better than Saints after half a good season. As the truth is beginning to show in the form of these individuals, we have addressed key weaknesses by giving chances to our newer players with the right attitude, they themselves have begun to find their feet and cut more predominant figures on the pitch. I think that Austin will complement Longs attitude and work rate for example and both have high confidence going into this with something to prove to external sources. JWP, Romeu and Clasie are feeling more important to the team and Vic realises he's going to have to put in some decent displays to ensure his move and regular place. Mane will also need to prove to himself that he can still do it, as his confidence is clearly very low, he will be desperate to not lose his place to the new boy. Defense with Bertie in is looking good, Targett playing in front, makes him free to be more aggressive with attacks on the wing and both can put a tackle in. Cedric and Martina are now in a battle for Right back. Only player on the pitch who doesn't have to look over his shoulder for competition is Steven Davis, but he works his nuts off 80% of the time anyway and for that reason his goal return is excusable when everyone else is firing.

So with the addition of Austin and his desire to get back amongst it in the prem, I think we are in the right place to replicate our performance against Arsenal at will. Man Utd haven't been great all season, and are no better than last. Got a feeling we can really get at them, when no one, including Man Utd team is expecting much from us. Van Gaal's talk of the title suggests he thinks 3pts is a done deal. So on the basis of this complacency, our improved spirit, our trashing of arsenal, our recent goal scoring form without Austin factored, and Man Utd definitely being ****ter than Arsenal and more open at the back...

...i'm going to go for an unlikely/ridiculous 0-3+ Old Trafford win to Saints... Van Gaal sacked by Monday afternoon...

...Unless Yoshida starts in which case reverse the score and scrap everything I said (it may be advisable to do that anyway)

Edited by Mallagroth

A win could put us 7th, assuming Stoke (Leicester away) lose and Palace (Spurs home) and Liverpool (Norwich away) draw or worse, which isn't inconceivable.

Think it will be a scrappy game with few chances - let's hope we're more clinical than usual. Time for Mane to start scoring again.

I've just dropped him from my fantasy league team for the first time this season so you might as well stick a few quid on him now :)

Davis isnt in the training footage = he isn't playing. If you apply the same logic and gaston is in the footage = he must be playing.

Bull****. If Gaston is in the videos it merely indicates he probably would be available for the squad, doesn't mean he'll be in the matchday squad, and certainly not that he will play.

Bull****. If Gaston is in the videos it merely indicates he probably would be available for the squad, doesn't mean he'll be in the matchday squad, and certainly not that he will play.

Lol you do make me laugh - was it not you that said that Davis wasn't in the footage. I don't believe for a minute that gaston will eve n feature but just because someone isn't in a bit if video doesn't mean they will not be playing.

So wind your neck in

Lol you do make me laugh - was it not you that said that Davis wasn't in the footage. I don't believe for a minute that gaston will eve n feature but just because someone isn't in a bit if video doesn't mean they will not be playing.

So wind your neck in

No-one ever said it did. Why do I need to wind my neck in for making an observation based on evidence? Why do you think he is missing? Any sensible suggestions, probably a bit hard for you.

Edited by VectisSaint

No-one ever said it did. But to suggesy as you did that someone would play because they were in the video is such a stupid thing to say is incredible, guess yoou still don't quite understsnd how stupid you mske yourself look. I don't need to wind my neck in for making a perfectly reasonable observation, but you seem to need to crael back under your stone.

Post 150 - was that you?

So everyone who trains plays the matches?

Sound logic.

Jesus h Christ ( no he's not playing either) go back to vectis saints post - 150. Where he says looks like Davis will be missing tomorrow because he's not in the training footage. Gaston is in the training footage does that mean he will be playing? Perhaps I should have put a smiley winky thing on my original post just to help you and vectis out.

To answer your q tho - obviously not. As you well know but hey you carry on

Jesus h Christ ( no he's not playing either) go back to vectis saints post - 150. Where he says looks like Davis will be missing tomorrow because he's not in the training footage. Gaston is in the training footage does that mean he will be playing? Perhaps I should have put a smiley winky thing on my original post just to help you and vectis out.

To answer your q tho - obviously not. As you well know but hey you carry on

he is available for selection?

Looks like Steve Davis may be missing tomorrow. Noticeably absent from the training videos (Shane Long interview) and pictures that I have seen.

Couple of people on here will be pleased.

well something could have happened between Monday and now, but SDavis was seen training in the Charlie Austin video.

[video=youtube;wn-ryylqqdw]