Wanyama to Spurs - Official

DT

So if we ignore the thing that made him a bit of a **** then he wasn't really being a bit of a ****...can't argue with that logic.

Stating Victor acted like a knob in no way stops people discussing his replacement.

Seems to me there are two types of fan every time a player leaves. The "he was **** we can do better" fans and the " He is great we will never get a player this good again replacing him is almost impossible" fans. Chances are neither are correct...

The question I asked is if there is any evidence that he is a unpopular within the squad or overly disruptive influence more generally...and over 3 seasons. If read what people are writing, you would think that Spurs are getting an Adebayor replacement

Jeremy Wilson update: http://www.telegraph.co.uk/football/2016/06/20/victor-wanyama-expected-to-join-tottenham-after-southampton-acce/?

- Saints have accepted £11m for Wanyama

- he turned down contract offers

- Spurs the only bidder

- Saints looking to buy a replacement for Wanyama, had already started looking

- Redmond set to join Saints later this week

- Club pushing ahead with interviews

- Pellegrini now a serious contender, but club want to speak with Puel too

- Shown some interest in Vitor Pereira

- Eddie Howe and Rudi Garcia both totally out of the picture now

We're probably asset stripping as well aren't we?

Well I didn't say that but it is your style to exaggerate and make things up .

We didn't replace Morgan or Clyne .

Les Reed has often championed Harrison Reed .

Is it beyond you to accept that Les could be happy leaving Romeu to play Wanyama's role thus allowing Harrison Reed back into the squad ?

Is it really so implausible ?

Sent from my SM-G925I using Tapatalk

Well I didn't say that but it is your style to exaggerate and make things up .

We didn't replace Morgan or Clyne .

Les Reed has often championed Harrison Reed .

Is it beyond you to accept that Les could be happy leaving Romeu to play Wanyama's role thus allowing Harrison Reed back into the squad ?

Is it really so implausible ?

Except for the fact there's a club-fed piece in the Telegraph today saying Saints are already in the market for a Wanyama replacement.

We can replace Wanyama for the fee we're getting for him but you always run the risk of a transfer bust.

That is spot on. £11m for a player people know can do it in the Prem is a great deal for Spurs. Us on the other hand have cash, but have a much harder task in finding another player that will hit the ground running and be a performer at this level. We have been excellent at doing that, no doubt about it, but there are still relative failures...

Shame to see him go he has proven himself to be a good player at this level, replacing him will as always be a gamble but fingers crossed we have some strength already in the squad in his role so even if the addition doesn't work out it won't be an end of the world scenario. Wonder what the sell on clauses with Celtic will cost us?

Except for the fact there's a club-fed piece in the Telegraph today saying Saints are already in the market for a Wanyama replacement.

I know it’s never quite as clear cut as this – I always assume we spend roughly what we make from sales and we often tend to shift players out before we sign them. So in simple terms Vic leaves, and enables us to sign Redmond.

To follow up Connor’s point above, it gels with what Claridge said about on the Monday night club recently, re: his chairman’s trip to St Mary’s where he saw the black-box in action and eluded to us knowing what players we want to replace outgoing players in the summer. (without naming names *cough* Wanyama *cough*)

Ideal world we go get Morgan back, but I don't think mourinho is that stupid. If he manages to sign matic they could create a great partnership.

Not playing football manager anymore I've no idea what DMs are out there.

When researching Claude Puel, I also read about Nice's Nampalys Mendy - sounds like a good replacement but unfortunately we'd be competing with Leicester and West Ham. Never thought I'd see the day where Leicester would be obvious favourites to sign someone ahead of us...!

When researching Claude Puel, I also read about Nice's Nampalys Mendy - sounds like a good replacement but unfortunately we'd be competing with Leicester and West Ham. Never thought I'd see the day where Leicester would be obvious favourites to sign someone ahead of us...!

This is true!

We've not been short of links with DM's this summer already:

- Dominik Kohr

- Idrissa Gueye

- Naby Keita

- Denis Zakaria

- Nampalys Mendy

- Didier Ndong

- Franck Kessie

didn't Piper and Elliot make a similar choice?

Shame there were no other bidders

I bet we put him around.

If so we could have told Levy that after Alderwiereld he is persona no grata at St Marys and told not to bother.

Just hope that we've got the balls to demand 100% cash up front.

Why the hell do we accept 9-11M for him with a year left on his contract and then go out and buy a less proven Prem player in Redmond for the same amount with a year left on his contract too?

Les doesn't seem really good at negociating.

Why the hell do we accept 9-11M for him with a year left on his contract and then go out and buy a less proven Prem player in Redmond for the same amount with a year left on his contract too?

Redmond is English, and is an attacker, two massive premiums.

Reportedly 11-12m anyway for Wanyama. Redmond we don't actually know but he is 3 years younger and English but if it's about the same or even a bit more that seems fine. As good as he is Wanyama is limited and won't improve a great deal more. Redmond has much more potential and will certainly score more goals!

You don't seem to be really good at understanding football.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

There are two or three clubs ( Stoke, us and west brom) reportedly after Redmond which creates a bidding war. Spurs ( surprisingly) seem to be the only team that wants Victor which weakens the clubs hand somewhat.

There are two or three clubs ( Stoke, us and west brom) reportedly after Redmond which creates a bidding war. Spurs ( surprisingly) seem to be the only team that wants Victor which weakens the clubs hand somewhat.

Whilst is was inevitable that he was going to go I don't really understand why we're selling so early. The transfer window hasn't even opened and it's still ~2.5 months till it closes. If the Spurs offer is indeed the only one on the table why not wait and see if any other offers materialise? However, it's possible he's told the club that the only place he'll go is Spurs, if so then I guess are hands are tied.

Whilst is was inevitable that he was going to go I don't really understand why we're selling so early. The transfer window hasn't even opened and it's still ~2.5 months till it closes. If the Spurs offer is indeed the only one on the table why not wait and see if any other offers materialise? However, it's possible he's told the club that the only place he'll go is Spurs, if so then I guess are hands are tied.

The deal could have been pre-arranged.

Choices old boy, choices. The two we seem to have are...

1) Keep him. Him be truculent. Leaves for nothing at the end of his contract.

2) Accept the highest bid.

Now you say Les is not negotiating, can you then explain to me how you make Spurs, who are the only bidder supposedly, up their offer? I truly would like to know why you think Les is a bad negotiator if only one person is bidding and they have all the aces. They could have bid £7m - what then? Keep him probably. Or maybe you think Les should turn up with a 12 bore, stick it to his head and demand he signs a contract extension??

Too many on this forum seem to have no idea about football finance, instead just blame Les for being shît.

Choices old boy, choices. The two we seem to have are...

1) Keep him. Him be truculent. Leaves for nothing at the end of his contract.

2) Accept the highest bid.

Now you say Les is not negotiating, can you then explain to me how you make Spurs, who are the only bidder supposedly, up their offer? I truly would like to know why you think Les is a bad negotiator if only one person is bidding and they have all the aces. They could have bid £7m - what then? Keep him probably. Or maybe you think Les should turn up with a 12 bore, stick it to his head and demand he signs a contract extension??

Too many on this forum seem to have no idea about football finance, instead just blame Les for being shît.

Do we have to accept a bid so early in the window when we know that clubs become desperate at the end of August and offer silly money?

Plus, is it wise buying or selling players when a manager is not in place? This to me shows that the next manager will have near to no input on who will be going in or out.

Situation could have been dealt with better had we signed him originally to a 5 year contract and not 4 years like we were doing at the time.

Puts us under enormous pressure to sell after 2 years if we want to recoup more than we invested and 3 years to avoid him going for nothing the next summer.

Anyway this has been rectified with last summer's transfers so i'm sure lessons have been learned.

Do we have to accept a bid so early in the window when we know that clubs become desperate at the end of August and offer silly money?

Plus, is it wise buying or selling players when a manager is not in place? This to me shows that the next manager will have near to no input on who will be going in or out.

Situation could have been dealt with better had we signed him originally to a 5 year contract and not 4 years like we were doing at the time.

Puts us under enormous pressure to sell after 2 years if we want to recoup more than we invested and 3 years to avoid him going for nothing the next summer.

Anyway this has been rectified with last summer's transfers so i'm sure lessons have been learned.

total nonsense it just shows him that some decisions will quite rightly not be his to make, any manager coming here expecting total control over signings is living a fantasy and best avoided!

Selling players early will allow us to have money early on and allow better planning of replacements. This has probably been ongoing for awhile given victor wanted to go to Spurs last summer.

Far better to move a player on then get others in early.

Puzzled why he went for less than he cost - is he not worth £12.5m?

Because he's only got a year left on his contract, probably half what we might have got from him otherwise (same situation as Clyne last year). If Spurs were to wait until January they could offer him a contract and then he would join them for free at the end of the season.

According to some ITKs the fee is 12.5 million....but 1.5 of that goes to Celtic.

Similar to we are buying Redmond for 11 million yet it appears common knowledge he has a release clause of 8 million.

None of us know or probably ever will know exact numbers and why should we?

Although Wanyama has been sensational in some games for us, he has been very inconsistent. His first season was fairly poor followed by a pretty good second season. And then a pretty mixed season just gone. Against Spurs last year he was supposed to have lost the midfield battle to Dembelle plus they've got Eric Dier playing well in the same position as well it certainly gives them a lot of depth, and I wonder how much game time he'll get there.

Think it could be handy to have someone with his physical ability but we did well last season despite him missing nearly half the games due to suspension.

Errrrrm, ok.

Is this the same media that the club fed stories to regarding such and such player isn't for sale ?

My point is that our club statements are about as trustworthy as our tabloids .

Imagine Les Reed releasing a statement saying that the club isn't interested in replacing their most influential midfielder again . The fans would go berserk .

Is this the same media that the club fed stories to regarding such and such player isn't for sale ?

My point is that our club statements are about as trustworthy as our tabloids .

Imagine Les Reed releasing a statement saying that the club isn't interested in replacing their most influential midfielder again . The fans would go berserk .

Errrrm, ok.

Edited by CB Fry

Actually, could we not have sold him on deadline day? Dembele misses like next 6 games doesn't he? Could have hindered them a bit more.

Now he'll have a full pre season training with them too.

And yes i am being petty.

Actually, could we not have sold him on deadline day? Dembele misses like next 6 games doesn't he? Could have hindered them a bit more.

Now he'll have a full pre season training with them too.

And yes i am being petty.

I like your style, but maybe Spurs go elsewhere and we end up with no fee at all. Sustainable clubs need to sell players not allow them to leave on free transfers.

I like your style, but maybe Spurs go elsewhere and we end up with no fee at all. Sustainable clubs need to sell players not allow them to leave on free transfers.

If spurs go else where, Wanyama doesn't seen to have any other options..........

I'd love to hear why you think that

No manager would be happy seeing the team that he built up going to be dismantled every year. However, it has become our culture selling good players, Lallana, Shaw, Schneiderlin, Clyne, Alderwiereld (losing), and now Wanyama and Mane. People say it is because they were in the last one or two year contract. Every team have their players running our of contracts, but it appears that only our team cannot retain our star players. Stones, Berahino and Vardy are not going anywhere at the moment.

It's a shame we're losing him but I'm glad we've had him for so long.

Just watch him kick on now.

He won't be replaced with a like-for-like at £11million.

I fully expect him to be playing for a massive Champions League club in the next few years.

It's a shame we're losing him but I'm glad we've had him for so long.

Just watch him kick on now.

He won't be replaced with a like-for-like at £11million.

I fully expect him to be playing for a massive Champions League club in the next few years.

Not sure he will get any better. He is technically limited in what he can do with the ball. He's a decent defensive midfielder but no more. He improved more under Koeman than Poch albeit obviously he was more experienced and had 1st year in PL under his belt by the time Koeman took over.

Sent from my SM-A300FU using Tapatalk

No manager would be happy seeing the team that he built up going to be dismantled every year. However, it has become our culture selling good players, Lallana, Shaw, Schneiderlin, Clyne, Alderwiereld (losing), and now Wanyama and Mane. People say it is because they were in the last one or two year contract. Every team have their players running our of contracts, but it appears that only our team cannot retain our star players. Stones, Berahino and Vardy are not going anywhere at the moment.

Yup, I thought you might trot something like this out.

every team have their players running our of contracts, but it appears that only our team cannot retain our star players. Stones, Berahino and Vardy are not going anywhere at the moment.

At the moment? Wow, what a disclaimer.

Only Berahino is approaching the end of his contract. Let's see if he stays at WBA if someone else comes in for him.

Leicester's approach appears to be to match any rival offer with a new massive contract. Oh and they have champions league to tempt the player. Not really comparative is it?

You are saying Stones will stay at Everton his whole career?

This is of course overlooking that Stones is on a long term contract, Saido will likely be sold this summer because he's entering the last year of his contract (i.e. in an almost identical situation to Wanyama, forced to stay last summer), and Vardy has chosen to stay with the title winning club of last season (and even that's no certainty just yet). Furthermore, both Stones and Berahino were forced to stay after good seasons, and subsequently had poor and non-existent seasons respectively.