Wanyama to Spurs - Official

DT

No manager would be happy seeing the team that he built up going to be dismantled every year. However, it has become our culture selling good players, Lallana, Shaw, Schneiderlin, Clyne, Alderwiereld (losing), and now Wanyama and Mane. People say it is because they were in the last one or two year contract. Every team have their players running our of contracts, but it appears that only our team cannot retain our star players. Stones, Berahino and Vardy are not going anywhere at the moment.

Think you need to move to Barcelona...

Maggie May - are you serious? Wanyama is at his peak now and that is not great. He's an average footballer in terms of skill but he is built like a tank and is hard to get past. His tackling ability is questionable and he doesn't have an ounce of pace. Personally I think we overpaid for him originally and £11 million now is a good deal for us.

Maggie May - are you serious? Wanyama is at his peak now and that is not great. He's an average footballer in terms of skill but he is built like a tank and is hard to get past. His tackling ability is questionable and he doesn't have an ounce of pace. Personally I think we overpaid for him originally and £11 million now is a good deal for us.

Disagree. Criticisms about his passing are lazy and overdone. Notwithstanding his lack of pace, he's able to bring the ball forward and rarely loses it. He's been inconsistent this season -though again that criticism is overdone and omits he hasn't had a consistent midfield partner. We have struggled without him, so there's no reason to think that will change going forward. Can safely say now that if we successfully replace him for £11m, that will be the signing of the summer.

didn't Piper and Elliot make a similar choice?

Ah gotcha. I do recall us being in for Matt Elliott from Oxford. I'm normally pretty good with recalling obscure footballers but Matt Piper required a google! Now rings a distant bell - although looks like he went to Sunderland instead of us from Leicester.

Assuming these are the two you're referring to.

I also disagree, not least as I am not sure that he has reached his peak.

But we are going back to money which transcends any desire to play CL football. That is evidence by him leaving Celtic to come to us in the first place. Now if we valued him very very highly, then the contract offer would have been more generous and might have got him to sign. Of course Spurs can offer more, but the bit about every player having his price works both ways. We will weigh up what the transfer fee is versus the package we would need to offer to keep him here. We obviously have a value that we put on him which is reflected in the contract we offer.

This is of course overlooking that Stones is on a long term contract, Saido will likely be sold this summer because he's entering the last year of his contract (i.e. in an almost identical situation to Wanyama, forced to stay last summer), and Vardy has chosen to stay with the title winning club of last season (and even that's no certainty just yet). Furthermore, both Stones and Berahino were forced to stay after good seasons, and subsequently had poor and non-existent seasons respectively.

Totally agree with this the Berahino example is terrible, he was playing brilliantly and worth a fortune they forced him to stay he was rubbish for a season in a grump and now they will loose him for less having gained nothing but a smug grin.

Victor is not that old. Three more years and he will understand the game so much better. If he can remain injury free for the next five years he will have a great career. All the best to him I say.

double edged sword unfortunately. we could sign players like wanyama because the premier league is the richest in the world.

unfortunately that means that richer premier league clubs are the only likely destinations for our best players.

No manager would be happy seeing the team that he built up going to be dismantled every year. However, it has become our culture selling good players, Lallana, Shaw, Schneiderlin, Clyne, Alderwiereld (losing), and now Wanyama and Mane. People say it is because they were in the last one or two year contract. Every team have their players running our of contracts, but it appears that only our team cannot retain our star players. Stones, Berahino and Vardy are not going anywhere at the moment.

Errr... ..apart from Forster, JWP, Davis and Virgil who have just signed new long term contracts. Not to mention making sure we retained Morgan and Wanyama for all but one year of existing contracts. I see that as pretty shrewd business for a Saints.

As Vic is off, replacement will be interesting. Not many players like him.

With the Portugal game just kicking off, worth watching Carvalho for them. He always looks good when I see him.

If he's up for grabs this summer, sure there will be plenty of big clubs interested but he'd be a great signing IMO.

With the Portugal game just kicking off, worth watching Carvalho for them. He always looks good when I see him.

If he's up for grabs this summer, sure there will be plenty of big clubs interested but he'd be a great signing IMO.

Whilst higher profile than Vic, Carvalho is similar in that everyone has looked at him, but nobody has pulled the trigger on signing him yet.

I would imagine he would cost an absolute fortune. I'm expecting us to spend around £8m on Vic's replacement.

Whilst higher profile than Vic, Carvalho is similar in that everyone has looked at him, but nobody has pulled the trigger on signing him yet.

I would imagine he would cost an absolute fortune. I'm expecting us to spend around £8m on Vic's replacement.

Yeah, my thinking too really. Some of the bigger sides seem happy to let us sign a player first and then pay more for him once established in the Prem for a couple of years.

Guess his cost will be dictated by length of contract he has remaining.

Would he want to come to Saints though? Interesting tweet the other day showing that Saints win percentage was higher without Big Vic in the side than in it. Most people are seeing Clasie and Romeu as being a good partnership in defensive midfield but little has been said about JWP who did toughen up last season and Reed who never really got a chance under Ron a nd for me will be a midfield hard man for many years to come. His lack of appreciation by RK being something to do with being (allegedly) caught on a 'night out' earlier in the season. Don't know whether that is true or not. Seems a bit disproportionate to penalise him for a whole season.

Would he want to come to Saints though? Interesting tweet the other day showing that Saints win percentage was higher without Big Vic in the side than in it. Most people are seeing Clasie and Romeu as being a good partnership in defensive midfield but little has been said about JWP who did toughen up last season and Reed who never really got a chance under Ron a nd for me will be a midfield hard man for many years to come. His lack of appreciation by RK being something to do with being (allegedly) caught on a 'night out' earlier in the season. Don't know whether that is true or not. Seems a bit disproportionate to penalise him for a whole season.

wanyama was never 6'2, but having clasie, JWP, and Reed as our options will leave us aerially challenged tbh.

wanyama was never 6'2, but having clasie, JWP, and Reed as our options will leave us aerially challenged tbh.

Said the same thing myself. I know the game is played on the deck a lot more these days, but we really have been strong in that area over the last few years and it real does make a difference.

Compared to Classie perhaps, but in Wanyama and Morgan before him we had CMs that won the vast majority of headers they went for. It will go relatively unnoticed, but it will have an effect. This is one those marginal gains/advantages that we have had that has helped us get top 6.

Can't say I'm too sad to see him go - had a bad attitude for most of this season, missed a lot of games through suspension and at times his passing of the ball, positioning and reading of the game and work rate were terrible. When he could be arsed he was at times great though.

But he will need replacing - Clasie, Reed, Davis and Ward-Prowse just don't have the physical presence needed for a defensive midfielder which leaves us with just Romeu.

Romeu is a better passer of the ball and probably better at reading the game and being in the right position to intercept the ball. The biggest problem is when he goes forward he's not got the pace to get back in to position if they opposition break on us. Also he's not dominant in the air at all.

We need at least one other big defensive midfielder to provide cover - or to let us play a double pivot / defensive duo.

Personally I think Clasie is surplus to requirements in the midfield - he's just not physical enough or dynamic enough for the premier league and we have Davis, Reed and Ward-Prowse who are all as good if not better. Although I think Reed is probably too small as well.

We should cash in on him if we can get our money back or better - plus he's Koeman's man - and add that to the money raised from selling Wanyama and go and buy a beast of a defensive midfielder

Glad to see its finally over and we can hopefully use the 11m to reinvest in that position. I'd be much more worried about losing Mane.

Personally i've never been Vic's biggest fan. He's a good player and as a defensive shield he can at times be immense but i still think he's rather technically limited. We'll see how he adapts to life at Spurs where one would presume first first job will be to try and break into the first xi.

[h=1]TO SOUTHAMPTON FANS[/h]Dear All,

I write to you with a heavy heart to announce that I will be leaving Southampton Football Club. As you can imagine it is very emotional for me to say goodbye to the club that gave me the chance to be the first Kenyan to play in Premier League.

Firstly, I would like to thank the most important part of every club, the fans. I want to reassure you that any “quotes” you have read about in the media before my move was announced are false. I would never disrespect you by talking to the media before I have talked to you guys.It took a while for me to win you all over but I can truly say that with your support and affection I have grown as a player and a person.

vicgoodbyeK-300x196.jpg

You guys have always been there to lift us up when we were down, and to celebrate with us when we were playing well. I feel really proud that I got the opportunity to wear the Southampton shirt.

Secondly, football is a team sport and it wouldn’t be right not to thank my amazing teammates. Jose, thanks for leading the team and always being there to pick us up when we needed encouragement. Thanks to the rest of the team for always giving 100% effort, I will miss all of you.

I also want to thank every member of the Southampton staff: those who work behind the scenes and never get credit for their contribution to our success on the pitch. We are nothing without you. I will never forget my time in Southampton Football Club, I will keep club forever in my heart.

Yours in Sport,

Victor Wanyama