The New, New Manager Thread

St Chalet

Who Would You Choose?  

415 members have voted

1. 1. Who Would You Choose?

They really are pretty stupid to put that £100m transfer budget into the public arena. Every player they show an interest in will be marked up accordingly. The secret of good negotiation is never ever show your hand too early.

Yes I would. It's not his fault that the idiots with money there pay £50m for Sterling.

Check what he did with Villareal and Malaga.

I'm not really interested in what achieved years ago. Look at how his team spent half of last season 'on the beach' and how he struggled to get a performance out if them - at least in the PL.

Walter Zenga...let's look at his dazzling CV

Brera Calcio

Naţional Bucureşti

Steaua Bucureşti (won league title and made uefa cup last 16, then got fired for bad results)

Crvena zvezda (won the serbian league cup double)

Gaziantepspor (Failed, 5 wins in 17 then quit so he could run off to the middle east)

Al-Ain (sacked after 5 months)

Dinamo Bucureşti (lasted 2 months0

Catania (Did OK, but no more than that)

Palermo (sacked for poor results)

Al-Nassr. (sacked for bad results)

Al Nasr SC

Sampdoria (sacked for poor results)

Al-Shaab (left by mutual consent after bad results)

If we hire this guy, he will last 3 months at best.

Brera Calcio

Naţional Bucureşti

Steaua Bucureşti (won league title and made uefa cup last 16, then got fired for bad results)

Gaziantepspor (Failed, 5 wins in 17 then quit so he could run off to the middle east)

Al Nasr SC

They'll be a hipster along in a minute babbling on about Pochettino and how-will-we-ever-know-how-good-he-is-at-this-level-if-he-never-gets-a-chance.

Brera Calcio

Naţional Bucureşti

Al Nasr SC

Not quite the footballing equivalent of Tago Mago [iNSERT ANY OTHER RANDOM HIPSTER ALBUM], is it?

Zenga:

Teams managed:

1998–1999 New England Revolution

2000–2001 Brera

2002–2003 Naţional Bucureşti

2004–2005 Steaua Bucureşti

2005–2006 Red Star Belgrade

2006–2007 Gaziantepspor

2007 Al-Ain

2007 Dinamo Bucureşti

2008–2009 Catania

2009–2010 Palermo

2010 Al-Nassr

2011–2013 Al-Nasr

2013–2014 Al Jazira

2015 Sampdoria

2015–2016 Al-Shaab

Doesn't really fit the bill does he?

Has hallmarks of...

1) agent's futile attempt touting no-hoper client who doesn't remotely tick any of Les Reed's criteria

2) bookie using press to try to get public to back no-hoper and manipulate the marker (conflict of interest with Murdoch newspaper and Murdoch Skybet)

3) clickbait

4) some or all of the above

I don't remember a single person being happy with MP at the time, not one. The whole feeling was around chants and protests at the Everton home game to send our 'displeasure'.

A big part of the negative reaction to pochettino was the club sacking nigel after back to back promotions. I've got to include myself in that reaction.

Has hallmarks of...

1) agent's futile attempt touting no-hoper client who doesn't remotely tick any of Les Reed's criteria

2) bookie using press to try to get public to back no-hoper and manipulate the marker (conflict of interest with Murdoch newspaper and Murdoch Skybet)

3) clickbait

My favoured explanation is the club are trolling the s@#! out of the fanbase for a giggle.

If I was a billionaire owner of a club I'd think I'd actually spend more time on that than doing proper deals. The days would fly by.

Has hallmarks of...

3) clickbait

1) What are those? Anyone who'll do as he's told by Reed? Maybe Zenga is desperate enough for a job to accept that; Garcia clearly wasn't.

My favoured explanation is the club are trolling the s@#! out of the fanbase for a giggle.

If I was a billionaire owner of a club I'd think I'd actually spend more time on that than doing proper deals. The days would fly by.

Maybe it's Markus's young grandson who's behind it all.

Yeah, boring but right.

And were they perhaps less motivated due to Pellegrini having his managerial rug pulled from underneath him with the PG announcement. Maybe the team were getting long in the tooth, or tired, or just not plain trying. Maybe MP himself simply couldn't be arsed at that point.

But you highlight a time when there was a pretty extenuating circumstance that could well have been the root cause of the beach mentality.

But you won't deny they still finished above us and in the CL positions, irrespective.

Still waiting for your apology too...

Brera Calcio

Naţional Bucureşti

Al Nasr SC

Guess people would rather have him though than the "Achingly trendy hipster nobody whose last job was relegating some two bob club"

I know I wouldn't.

Now would be a good time for K billy to come in and tell us that we won't be seeing Walter Zenga take the job.

Guan should be back from his holiday too.

I was going to say hopefully it's time for another update especially after this weekends supposed further round of talks.

Were you really impressed by Poch? He was sacked by Espanyol with an awful win percentage and in a time where nobody wanted him.

Fair point, but remember we were coming from the very capable Nigel Adkins to him. Poch's CV was far more illustrious.

Not knocking Nige at all, he was amazing and I was gutted when we sacked him but Poch softened the blow for me.