The New, New Manager Thread

St Chalet

Who Would You Choose?  

415 members have voted

1. 1. Who Would You Choose?

I do have the suspicion we're being played. Very popular and successful manager leaves. Fans upset. Almost immediately Saints are linked to big populist names. Fans happy again. Succession of candidates 'drop out' and instead we're linked to basketcase Zenga. Fans upset. Appointment is made and its not any of the big names, but at least its not Zenga. Fans happy again.

I do have the suspicion we're being played. Very popular and successful manager leaves. Fans upset. Almost immediately Saints are linked to big populist names. Fans happy again. Succession of candidates 'drop out' and instead we're linked to basketcase Zenga. Fans upset. Appointment is made and its not any of the big names, but at least its not Zenga. Fans happy again.

Obviously you rate Reed's intellect and cunning more highly than most. Imagine a Reed / Hodgson tie up... Dumb & Dumber?

Ah Monk, there you are! I'll PM you mine if you PM me yours :lol:

Two wannabe ITK ****s.... Always thought Monk was on of your other accounts?

If you have something to share, share it. You have some reputation to rebuild after your previous BS on here

Two wannabe ITK ****s.... Always thought Monk was on of your other accounts?

If you have something to share, share it. You have some reputation to rebuild after your previous BS on here

Haha. A reputation to rebuild, on an Internet forum. Don't think it matters too much mate. Well, it doesn't to me!

Oh, and Monk isn't a wannabe.

It's surprising how many people who are level-headed and sensible enough to be Saints' supporters still haven't learnt not to believe the fictions printed in the sports pages of the newspapers. As for betting odds, we all know these just reflect the money staked and since the money staked is mostly based on the stories in the press, it is no more reliable.

I'm confident that the club were prepared for this eventuality and have been handling it correctly. The formal process could only begin once the resignation was confirmed, which was only 13 days ago. If the decision is announced this week, they will have done very well and even if announced next week will still be ahead of Pre-Season.

Didn't someone say the club wanted to appoint someone by the 28th? So it'll be this week then.

De Boer and Pellegrini are the two I'd like to see, but you know what? I think Benitez would be a perfect fit. Yes, yes, he has a job, but it's in the Championship and he's probably going to see the likes of Sissoko, Wijnaldum and Perez leave this summer, and even Benitez ain't going to be replacing them with the same quality. I know he's not on the short list, but worth remembering that he may be available soon if he struggles at Newcastle. #appointGrayorWigley.

Didn't someone say the club wanted to appoint someone by the 28th? So it'll be this week then.

De Boer and Pellegrini are the two I'd like to see, but you know what? I think Benitez would be a perfect fit. Yes, yes, he has a job, but it's in the Championship and he's probably going to see the likes of Sissoko, Wijnaldum and Perez leave this summer, and even Benitez ain't going to be replacing them with the same quality. I know he's not on the short list, but worth remembering that he may be available soon if he struggles at Newcastle. #appointGrayorWigley.

I doubt he'll struggle in the championship with that squad and his experience. If he'd been appointed earlier than he was they'd have stayed up no problem, there are a lot of good players there and were totally mismanaged under McClaren. Noises coming out of Newcastle are that they're adamant they're keeping most players and have stuck huge price tags on Wijnaldum and Sissoko (ie more than they're worth) to stop them from leaving. They'll be straight back up next season and it seems that Benitez is committed to the cause so I really don't think he'll be going anywhere.

Also, if we want to appoint someone by the 28th for the fitness testing, it'd make sense to get it done as early as possible but I think we'll make full use of our own self imposed time scale and probably announce it at the start of next week. Even if interviews over the weekend were successful, it'll still take a while for contracts to be written up and agreed between lawyers and agents.

My money is on Puel, so it won't be him. Hoping for Pellegrini...

You people will not believe what Crabby has just sent me. Dy.na.mite.

Obviously I'm not sharing as it is a secret apart from to say if it's good enough for Newell's Old Boys, Velez Sarsfield and Espanyol then it's good enough for little old Saints.

http://www.granadadigital.es/paco-jemez-nuevo-entrenador-del-granada-cf/

La Liga Relegation hipster boy soon to be confirmed to Granada.

Paco Jemez and Jorge Sampoali both opted for jobs in La Liga with the language their native tongue.

Probably wise.

It's going to be Puel, Pellegrini or Frank De Boer IMO

Edit or Bielsa????

Edited by Saint IQ

Obviously I'm not sharing as it is a secret apart from to say if it's good enough for Newell's Old Boys, Velez Sarsfield and Espanyol then it's good enough for little old Saints.

Bielsa?

:thumbup: :poundit:

Fishing that would put Robson Green to shame... fantastic bait CB got them swimming on to your rod in large numbers...

Fishing that would put Robson Green to shame... fantastic bait CB got them swimming on to your rod in large numbers...

If I was cynical I'd guess it's more likely part of a game to see if the media starts running with Bielsa if we big it up on here. However I hope there is some truth to it as it would be funny to have Poch and Guardiola both having to go up against someone they have professed to idolise. Of course it would be a case of second half of the season burnout again as with Poch but will be bloody entertaining. By all accounts Bielsa works his players in training harder than 'the Sheriff' himself.

Nothing new, but latest from Jeremy Wilson at the tail-end of his Wanyama-to-Spurs piece:

Southampton do expect to complete the £10 million signing this week of winger Nathan Redmond from Norwich City and are pushing ahead with interviews for their vacant managerial position. Manuel Pellegrini, the former Real Madrid and Manchester City coach, has emerged as a serious contender but the club also want to speak to former Nice manager Claude Puel. There has also been interest in Vitor Pereira, the Fenerbahce manager, but Rudi Garcia and Eddie Howe are no longer on the shortlist.

Source: http://www.telegraph.co.uk/football/2016/06/20/victor-wanyama-expected-to-join-tottenham-after-southampton-acce/?

If I was cynical I'd guess it's more likely part of a game to see if the media starts running with Bielsa if we big it up on here. However I hope there is some truth to it as it would be funny to have Poch and Guardiola both having to go up against someone they have professed to idolise. Of course it would be a case of second half of the season burnout again as with Poch but will be bloody entertaining. By all accounts Bielsa works his players in training harder than 'the Sheriff' himself.

I can categorically state this is not the case.

Cesar Luis Menotti it is then, World Cup Winning manager, just the job;)

Sorry if already posted but I haven't seen this article so far.

Maybe the Unai Emery move to PSG is not a done deal yet! Google translation from sport.fr article from yesterday below (see web link below), if anyone can translate better please do!!

http://www.sport.fr/football/ligue-1-psg-emery-est-dej-agace-397508.shtm

So Unai Emery is close to joining PSG, where Laurent Blanc has still not been settled. One detail that would interfere with the Spanish technician. According to information from the Cadena Ser, the former coach of Sevilla would be ready to return to Andalusia, where the dismissal of French would be quickly resolved. He would have including another proposal from an English club. Nevertheless imagine that the Qatari owners will soon formalize their change of coach.

Sorry if already posted but I haven't seen this article so far.

Maybe the Unai Emery move to PSG is not a done deal yet! Google translation from sport.fr article from yesterday below (see web link below), if anyone can translate better please do!!

http://www.sport.fr/football/ligue-1-psg-emery-est-dej-agace-397508.shtm

So Unai Emery is close to joining PSG, where Laurent Blanc has still not been settled. One detail that would interfere with the Spanish technician. According to information from the Cadena Ser, the former coach of Sevilla would be ready to return to Andalusia, where the dismissal of French would be quickly resolved. He would have including another proposal from an English club. Nevertheless imagine that the Qatari owners will soon formalize their change of coach.

That can only be us then! (if that's true)

Might be fun to watch them fight crime though.

MLG would spend the whole time in the office making copious notes while people got murdered and Alpine sat trembling and mumbling about uruguayan immigrants in front of a copy of the sun.

Nah Alps would be out arresting anyone who looked even the slightest bit suspicious.

Basically Emery is irritated that the Qatari owners of PSG haven't made any statement on Laurent Blanc staying or going. Mentions that Unai is keen to return to PSG but has another offer from an English club. Hopes the situation is resolved soon.

We are clearly waiting on this situation then. Emery would be the coup of the century, slim chance though.

You've been on here and its forum predecessor for long enough to know whats going on?

I'm sure you don't need me to spell it out but, for those unaware of the dark arts its called "public relations and the general principle of consumer sentiment manipulation". All companies do it in one way or another. I doubt a company headed by a member of the World Economic Forum like Ralph Krueger is unaware of its uses in our context.

I think this forum has regularly been used to test out policies and ideas on a loyal vocal social media savvy highly connected IT literate representative Saints fan base. We are a great population demograph all nicely concentrated to try out stuff on. The views of a few thousand of us here on this site are easily and with high validity (imo) a great representation of the world wide views of saints fans on any subject you care to mention ~ from players incomings to player outgoings and so forth. Like a local free of charge focus group - or it may not be free - maybe beneficiaries show gratitude somehow directly or indirectly. I'm surprised if anyone is surprised at this opinion of mine. And if it is not happening overtly or covertly them I don't support Southampton Football Club! It would be commercially negligent not to access the free mine of valuable data we generate each day on matters SFC. Ralph does not strike me as commercially negligent.

Agents use us, press use us, the internet uses us, maybe even SFC uses us, who knows even players. Its all part and parcel of football these days. Its not a bad thing and i do it at my workplace often also. So, we are being listened to, and our POV's taken into account, of that I'm sure though of course ultimate decisions are not always populist driven, and indeed, lowest common denominator driven decisions are often fatally flawed so it is often teh case that leaders need to take a contrarian view for the longer term good.

Happy posting!