The New, New Manager Thread

St Chalet

Who Would You Choose?  

415 members have voted

1. 1. Who Would You Choose?

So, Pellegrini, who would he bring with him? Cousillas joined Pellegrini at Manchester City as co-assistant, alongside Brian Kidd. So, no reason why he couldn't work alongside Sammy Lee. Kidd (other asst) and Mancisidor (GK coach) are staying at City.

I don't know if Jose Cabello, the fitness coach, is staying or if he's a Pellegrini man.

So, Pellegrini could justifiably bring Cousillas and Cabello with him, no?

I'm sorry, but I see this mentioned over and over that Van Dijk was a Koeman signing...I thought we were interested in Van Dijk prior to Koeman's arrival?

Correct. Our interest in VVD preceded Koeman by at least 12 months.

I wonder if talks with our preferred choice have taken place this weekend?

Hopefully so if reports are true, but I reckon negotiations and due diligence may continue for a while. I'm wondering if Les will have to give a little on some of his demands, like only bringing two assistants. We want to keep Sammy Lee and our current goalkeeping coach (I'm sure) so there are issues to resolve. Then there's the sticky one about what if the applicant wants to sign someone that Les does not approve of? How much does Les want a particular applicant?

Not from me always thought it made perfect sense. The days of all powerful managers running all things football at clubs is waning (if not already gone) football has changed managers come and go frequently. It makes little sense to give them lots of cash to build teams full of players loyal to the manager only for them to leave or get sacked. Of course you could argue the club has clearly abandoned that policy with Koeman...

Except of course at Newcastle where the new manager has insisted on full autominy and a veto over who to buy and sell.

Except of course at Newcastle where the new manager has insisted on full autominy and a veto over who to buy and sell.

Which is a complete disaster waiting to happen.

Our success is built on the planning put in through all aspects of recruitment, why would we let a manager come in and wildly change the ethos and style that the club as a whole has been used to for the past 5 years ?

Hopefully so if reports are true, but I reckon negotiations and due diligence may continue for a while. I'm wondering if Les will have to give a little on some of his demands, like only bringing two assistants. We want to keep Sammy Lee and our current goalkeeping coach (I'm sure) so there are issues to resolve. Then there's the sticky one about what if the applicant wants to sign someone that Les does not approve of? How much does Les want a particular applicant?

And to add, what if the prospective manager wants to keep some members of the first team that Les is prepared to sell? The candidate will want reassurance to what squad he is coming to, surely. An issue that surely will be discussed in the negotiations

Having watched a few Euro 16 games, you need players these days not cash because there isn't that much talent out there for any money by the looks of it. The concencus seems to be that quality is not that high these days.

Sell our good players and we will have a considerable difficulty replacing them...for any money....

Sorry mate, but that is pure rubbish. Saints will continue what they have always done... Sell for a profit and bring through the next batch.... and repeat.

Naive to think that we can't do that as the 6th best team in england.

It really does look as though the so called Southampton Way, Black Box process etc etc was not ready and prepared for RK to leave. We seem to be lost in the woods on a replacement, unable to decide with no particular short list or ready replacement in mind when RK left.

We were ill prepared for this eventuality and this time round will end up with a compromise rather than an ideal fit. Certainly it has been a surprise that we have been caught so cold considering the often heard 'giving it large' on our Black Box preparedness and stratedgy that is reportedly in place.

Given that the situation has been brewing for quite a while with a reasonable probability of Koeman leaving we seem to have been caught with our trousers down.

At least Everton had a clear strategy and a short list with a definate preference, they were well organised and took decisive action to implement the process of bringing their new man in. Put the money to one side, they had a plan and did they ever put it into practice.

If reports are to be believed we have been lacking in our research on prospective candidate suitability and are now trawling for any random fish who maybe less fit than we need..

Tell us Chrissy boy, what you base this speculative chunter on exactly ? idle gossip??

I thought I read somewhere that they want to hire someone by the 28th? That is when players not on international duty are back and they do that really hard fitness VO2 test thingy.

I'd have guessed interviews, talks etc would have been done at least by tomorrow

I've heard they ain't doing the VO2 thingy this yearCLAIM>:smug:

@Mr_Schitt

Thankfully on twitter people are seeing right through him.

Just out of interest, why do you think this is a wind up?

Yes, his name is a little dodgy (but then yours is Grapefruit - or fatty) , but he seems genuine enough, as does he previous posts (check out his massive posts on the McCanns for instance). I genuinely believe he thinks it's true, whether it is or not depends on the accuracy of the information he's been given. I also can't believe someone would go to the effort to post such likely things - it's a bit self-defeating as he's not going out on a limb about anything, so he's not going to get any massive kudos unless it's ALL correct.

Ambition is a funny thing

'RK feels he has taken the club as far as he can'

To me that shows the limits of RK Ambitions (and abilities come to that), not the clubs

The club wants to go further, but RK thinks he's taken it as far as he can.

Fine. Wave goodbye (for a safer shore) and let's find a new captain with a bit more faith in his own ability to meet the challenge

As long as his name isn't Chris.

Just out of interest, why do you think this is a wind up?

Yes, his name is a little dodgy (but then yours is Grapefruit - or fatty) , but he seems genuine enough, as does he previous posts (check out his massive posts on the McCanns for instance). I genuinely believe he thinks it's true, whether it is or not depends on the accuracy of the information he's been given. I also can't believe someone would go to the effort to post such likely things - it's a bit self-defeating as he's not going out on a limb about anything, so he's not going to get any massive kudos unless it's ALL correct.

What on earth have I got to with it? I'm not claiming to be ITK. Neither is my account a wind up one. It's just an amusing sounding word in the French language.

Anyway this arguing is silly. But if I want info I'll trust the likes of K Billy and Guan.

It appears the bookies are as much in the dark as us.

Nobody odds-on. The club are keeping things very close to their chest, or they haven't made a decision yet.

Pellegrini is the outstanding candidate. We need someone now with Premier and European experience. Anything less is second best.

You'd struggle to argue that Pellegrini acheived very much last season considering the exceptionally talented (and hugly expensive) squad placed at his disposal. At the age of 63 he may also be too old now to retain the level of mental flexibility and energy required to adapt to a ever changing game and relate to youthful players.

What this club really needs, and I think what separates the good from the average manager in general, is that the former can produce a team that is somehow MORE than the sum of its parts. Whatever he has achieved in the past, that really cannot be said about Manuel Pellegrini today can it?

Were you really impressed by Poch? He was sacked by Espanyol with an awful win percentage and in a time where nobody wanted him.

I don't remember a single person being happy with MP at the time, not one. The whole feeling was around chants and protests at the Everton home game to send our 'displeasure'.

You'd struggle to argue that Pellegrini acheived very much last season considering the exceptionally talented (and hugly expensive) squad placed at his disposal. At the age of 63 he may also be too old now to retain the level of mental flexibility and energy required to adapt to a ever changing game and relate to youthful players.

What this club really needs, and I think what separates the good from the average manager in general, is that the former can produce a team that is somehow MORE than the sum of its parts. Whatever he has achieved in the past, that really cannot be said about Manuel Pellegrini today can it?

You know he took Manchester City to the last four of the Champions League, right?

I'd say that's an achievement, regardless.

Correct. You know your stuff mate.

Interesting just now on another thread that Koeman's father was aware of VVD years ago and scouted him for Groningen. But yeah, VVD nothing to do with Ronald and all to do with our magical black box.

Pellegrini and his team were not helped last season by the announcement half way through that his successor was appointed. If that happened to me while I was still at work I would be angry, disillusioned and feel undermined and under valued. In fact it was disgraceful by any normal standard

https://www.thesun.co.uk/sport/football/1308619/walter-zenga-to-southampton-saints-approach-former-italy-goalkeeper-to-replace-ronald-koeman-who-quit-for-everton/?CMP=spklr-_-Editorial-_-TWITTER-_-TheSunFootball-_-20160619-_-Football-_-497434313-_-Image,textandlink

Walter Zenga is our man according to The Sun

SOUTHAMPTON have made a shock approach to former Italy keeper Walter Zenga to replace Ronald Koeman.

Owner Katherine Liebherr gave the green light for the approach to the 56-year-old Zenga.

Ex-Manchester City boss Manuel Pellegrini, Frenchman Claude Puel and Fenerbahce manager Vitor Pereira have all been linked with the role vacated when Koeman quit to join Everton.

The Inter Milan stalwart won 58 caps for Italy between 1987 and 1992 but his managerial career is chequered.

He has had 15 club jobs in the USA, Italy, Romania, Serbia, Turkey, the UAE, Saudi Arabia, with his last job after being sacked by Sampdoria in November a short spell with Al-Shaab in Sharjah.

Zenga, who speaks good English from his final playing contract at the New England Revolution, where his managerial career began, is understood to be confident the job is his.

Saints are keen to name Koeman’s replacement.

But in a surprise move, the Saints turned to Zenga to ask if he wants to be considered for the job.

Absolute f*cking horsesh*t.

Zenga:

Teams managed:

1998–1999 New England Revolution

2000–2001 Brera

2002–2003 Naţional Bucureşti

2004–2005 Steaua Bucureşti

2005–2006 Red Star Belgrade

2006–2007 Gaziantepspor

2007 Al-Ain

2007 Dinamo Bucureşti

2008–2009 Catania

2009–2010 Palermo

2010 Al-Nassr

2011–2013 Al-Nasr

2013–2014 Al Jazira

2015 Sampdoria

2015–2016 Al-Shaab

Doesn't really fit the bill does he?

You'd be happy with a manager that had a £300m+ squad that somehow finished a whole three points ahead of us last season?

Yes I would. It's not his fault that the idiots with money there pay £50m for Sterling.

Check what he did with Villareal and Malaga.

I don't remember a single person being happy with MP at the time, not one. The whole feeling was around chants and protests at the Everton home game to send our 'displeasure'.

Is is very true. The ONLY person I can remember who thought it was a blinding piece of business was Guillem Balague.