The New, New Manager Thread

St Chalet

Who Would You Choose?  

415 members have voted

1. 1. Who Would You Choose?

What an absolute load of waffle. Defo not ITK

His name same it all. He is not ITK. For one thing, all of that information could have been piece together by anyone. And secondly, he's far too keen to keep repeating 'my friend' 'my friend' 'my friend'.

Les Reed's video confirmed that we were in contract talks with players. None of the information in that post contains anything new.

Garcia was the one that excited me to be honest, I wonder if the claims around him being very stubborn to change his approach in poorer times have anything to do with it? But his record at Lille and Roma were very good and he seemed to tick all the boxes to be honest.

But if it isn't him than I'm warming to Pellegrini, his rep may have gone down a little this season but to be honest I'd reckon a lot has to do with Man City's owners/directors. Appointing Pep halfway through the season would have undermined him a lot I reckon and you also have to ask how much say he has had into the players, I get a very 'galactico' feel from Man City with them buying names rather than trying to build a team and then basically throwing them all at Pellegrini and saying make it work.

Might be wrong, but I think it's important to remember why he got the Man City job in the first place and that was an excellent record with Villareal and Malaga.

The only issue is the age thing, but if he's shown interest that's a good thing, and maybe he's given the board pause for thought saying that he'd be committed long term.

Also Wenger and Ranieri are older than him, Guidolin and Allardyce are only slightly younger, Pulis is only 5 years younger so maybe it isn't that much of an issue. LVG, Hodgson, and Hiddinck are older as well I think.

Certainly would prefer him over Puel, ticks more boxes for me.

Coming round to Pellegrini. I sat watching Spain and thought that their manager is no spring chicken but look what he has acheived!. These managers do seem to jump ship quickly where as Pellegrini might be more likely to recipricate the need for stability.

If he does get the job it will be interesting so see what his backroom staff will be and whether he will use Sammy.

The age shouldn't be an issue, loads of top managers are older, the backroom staff would be important. He was treated disgracefully at City--appointing his successor while he was still in post--no wonder he had a mediocre season. If he gives us two good seasons that's fine by me. Hope the Board get on with it, sooner rather than later!

After last few years not sure your qualified to criticise anyone.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Nothing what I said previous was fabricated or meshed together from forums, tweets etc. It was, however, a genuine perspective, though heavily slanted. I'll give myself a pat on the back for at least sharing it with people.

Nothing what I said previous was fabricated or meshed together from forums, tweets etc. It was, however, a genuine perspective, though heavily slanted. I'll give myself a pat on the back for at least sharing it with people.

Has what he said been then?

Has what he said been then?

I wouldn't say what he's said has been wholly correct, no. Plus there's a lot of filler and fleshing out of widely available information that isn't ITK. Guan and kbilly are the ones who truly have an inside scoop as they've proven many times so I'd just watch out for their posts. Failing that, you could always see what becomes of anything I say in the next day or so for the week coming :lol:

Who ever the manager is I will wait and see after cheering when we got whisky George, delighted when we got saggy chops, fuming when Pardew went and angry when Nigel was sacked have learnt my judgement is flawed .

Tbf, as you know, my feelings on meltdown 2014 were hugely wide of the mark so I wouldn't worry! That said, what I posted was from the best of my knowledge.

Tbf, as you know, my feelings on meltdown 2014 were hugely wide of the mark so I wouldn't worry! That said, what I posted was from the best of my knowledge.

So when you post from the "best of your knowledge" it's ok, but if someone else dares do it then they're "definitely not ITK"? Basically, you embarrassed yourself with your nonsense in the past and it's a bit f*cking rich for you to publicly criticise others for doing exactly what you did.......even though in this case, no one has actually been proved to just be spouting b*llocks like you did. I would think it would be in your interests to keep quiet about ITK stuff.

So when you post from the "best of your knowledge" it's ok, but if someone else dares do it then they're "definitely not ITK"? Basically, you embarrassed yourself with your nonsense in the past and it's a bit f*cking rich for you to publicly criticise others for doing exactly what you did.......even though in this case, no one has actually been proved to just be spouting b*llocks like you did. I would think it would be in your interests to keep quiet about ITK stuff.

Thanks for caring about my best interests, I'm touched.

Shouldn't you be on the Watford forum though?

I've heard that it was going well with Garcia until he met Kat and called her Kat Flaps and touch her tit in the lift.

I heard that sorry tale too. Les Reed tried to do a Walter Raleigh style intervention to Rudi's grope in the lift and consequently got his head stuck in between them. Makes you wonder what might have been...

Thanks for caring about my best interests, I'm touched.

Shouldn't you be on the Watford forum though?

I'm genuinely astonished that you even have the balls to come on here after your pathetic posts. And now you start crying when there appears to be someone other than you who might have some inside knowledge. You were so desperate to be ITK and it clearly irks you that you're not.

I think the reason many of us were panicking in 2014 wasn't just that we knew not who our next manager might be (it could have been another Wigley for all we knew) but also because there seemed to be a fire sale of our best players, combined with little comment from what was a newish board, some unconvincing statements from our new chairman and also Kat's intentions weren't really known.

We cannot know what the future might be, but the situation now is quite different.

(But please don't sell any more players, Les. before the new manager is in place.)

I'm genuinely astonished that you even have the balls to come on here after your pathetic posts. And now you start crying when there appears to be someone other than you who might have some inside knowledge. You were so desperate to be ITK and it clearly irks you that you're not.

Not really. You seem a bit bothered about it than me though, for some reason.

Oh, the temerity of him to post! Oh!

I think the reason many of us were panicking in 2014 wasn't just that we knew not who our next manager might be (it could have been another Wigley for all we knew) but also because there seemed to be a fire sale of our best players, combined with little comment from what was a newish board, some unconvincing statements from our new chairman and also Kat's intentions weren't really known.

We cannot know what the future might be, but the situation now is quite different.

(But please don't sell any more players, Les. before the new manager is in place.)

but you all could have waited to see what was happening before you started whinging like two year olds

but you all could have waited to see what was happening before you started whinging like two year olds

But that's boring!

Let's be honest, we love the meltdown threads, gives a great laugh over the years!

The Mane Thread, the B&B Thread, the Crab Lungs Post, The 'should we reinvest Long' Thread.

I think if everything was said in hindsight it would be a pretty boring sport

Who ever the manager is I will wait and see after cheering when we got whisky George, delighted when we got saggy chops, fuming when Pardew went and angry when Nigel was sacked have learnt my judgement is flawed .

Haha, me too! Although I think Pardew was more about off the field, and to this day I still feel Adkins was harshly treated, even if ultimately it did move the club forward.

I wouldn't say what he's said has been wholly correct, no. Plus there's a lot of filler and fleshing out of widely available information that isn't ITK. Guan and kbilly are the ones who truly have an inside scoop as they've proven many times so I'd just watch out for their posts. Failing that, you could always see what becomes of anything I say in the next day or so for the week coming :lol:

You'd have to say the timing of Steven Davis' contract extension lends some credence to the guy's ITK credentials.

Les Reed said in his video that we were trying to get players to sign new contracts. The news has hardly come out of the blue.

I'm not saying he is ITK but I'd say his timing indicates he may be. Les spoke about this ages ago, not yesterday. Anyway, I'm not going to discredit posters that have done nothing to deserve it. I'll give the benefit of the doubt until a poster gives reason for me to do otherwise. I'll also take what is said by anyone on here with a pinch of salt.

People stating Schitt is not ITK are making assumptions which in my opinion are unfair. I'm unsurprised at Crabby's response as he has form for discrediting those that contradict his view of the board, but I don't know you from Adam so can't comment on what your beef might be.

Voted Pellegrini but think it will be Puel.

Not one person seems to tick every box we want. But I'd go for Pellegrini - Proven pedigree & will have the experience to keep us on an even keel.

Granted, he won't play the pressing game. But I wouldn't strictly say that Ronald did either & we didn't do too badly.

His name same it all. He is not ITK. For one thing, all of that information could have been piece together by anyone. And secondly, he's far too keen to keep repeating 'my friend' 'my friend' 'my friend'.

Les Reed's video confirmed that we were in contract talks with players. None of the information in that post contains anything new.

His name doesn't say anything. It is just a name. If all of that information could have been put together by anyone why didn't anyone else put it together? Also what difference does it make if he says "my friend" a lot? Perhaps he just wants to make sure that it is his friend who gets the credit as the ITKer and not himself? If you chose to believe it is all BS that is down to you. It doesn't mean to say that he hasn't been given decent information from someone within the club though. Frankly I wonder why people bother to pass on what they have heard in good faith. He didn't have to spend ages typing that stuff up (I assume that you have read it all?). Take or leave it, your choice. But it is a bit churlish to say that he is b****ting when you have no proof to back that up.

Voted Pellegrini but think it will be Puel.

Not one person seems to tick every box we want. But I'd go for Pellegrini - Proven pedigree & will have the experience to keep us on an even keel.

Granted, he won't play the pressing game. But I wouldn't strictly say that Ronald did either & we didn't do too badly.

Voted for Pellegrini first time around and did so again although was excited by the prospect of Garcia or FDB. Pellegrini would be a fantastic appointment but Puel or Pereira would be disasterous appointments and should be opposed. Puel's teams play dreadful football and not the type I have any interest in watching. He's only managed in France so bit hypocritical to rule out FDB for only having managed in Holland. VP has a modest CV and a volatile temperament. Huge question marks over Les Reed's future for me if either of those two are chosen. Let's hpe someone else at the club has some input and steers him towards Pellegrini.

I see 'None of the above' have more votes than Puel or Periera combined! This should send a message alone. Feel very sorry for the STHs if Puel appointed - will be a long and not very fun season. Massive drop in stature and quality from Koeman if Puel or the other joker was appointed.

Voted for Pellegrini first time around and did so again although was excited by the prospect of Garcia or FDB. Pellegrini would be a fantastic appointment but Puel or Pereira would be disasterous appointments and should be opposed. Puel's teams play dreadful football and not the type I have any interest in watching. He's only managed in France so bit hypocritical to rule out FDB for only having managed in Holland. VP has a modest CV and a volatile temperament. Huge question marks over Les Reed's future for me if either of those two are chosen. Let's hpe someone else at the club has some input and steers him towards Pellegrini.

FDB was allegedly ruled out for only having managed one club, not just managing in one country.

FDB was allegedly ruled out for only having managed one club, not just managing in one country.

Quite possibly the case but sure I read that they are looking for more than one country as well? Puel's CV is ok but hardly standout and didn't pull up any trees at Nice. Pellegrini by the far the best candidate left if the Telegraph articles on the remaining shortlist are accurate. A lot of good managers seem to have turned the role down. Puel would say to me that they had to get someone for the start of the preseason and they couldn't get anyone from their shortlist - not inspiring.

Quite possibly the case but sure I read that they are looking for more than one country as well? Puel's CV is ok but hardly standout and didn't pull up any trees at Nice. Pellegrini by the far the best candidate left if the Telegraph articles on the remaining shortlist are accurate. A lot of good managers seem to have turned the role down. Puel would say to me that they had to get someone for the start of the preseason and they couldn't get anyone from their shortlist - not inspiring.

Come on then who's turned us down would love to know

His name doesn't say anything. It is just a name. If all of that information could have been put together by anyone why didn't anyone else put it together? Also what difference does it make if he says "my friend" a lot? Perhaps he just wants to make sure that it is his friend who gets the credit as the ITKer and not himself? If you chose to believe it is all BS that is down to you. It doesn't mean to say that he hasn't been given decent information from someone within the club though. Frankly I wonder why people bother to pass on what they have heard in good faith. He didn't have to spend ages typing that stuff up (I assume that you have read it all?). Take or leave it, your choice. But it is a bit churlish to say that he is b****ting when you have no proof to back that up.

Someone with far too much time on their hands and an elaborate mind. There is a difference between passing on new information and making up a story full of information we already knew. If any of our current ITKs want to verify that this Jack is indeed a true ITK then go ahead and I'll happily be proved wrong.

Malaga Before Pellegrini...

2009/10 - 17th (avoided relegation by 1 point!)

Malaga With Pellegrini...

2010/11 - 11th

2011/12 - 4th

2012/13 - 6th

To turn a relegation threatened team into a Champions League quarter finalist in just 3 years is extremely impressive!

Villareal Before Pellegrini...

2003/04 - 8th

Villarreal With Pellegrini...

2004/05 - 3rd

2005/06 - 7th

2006/07 - 5th

2007/08 - 2nd - Very impressive to get Villarreal 10 points ahead of Barcelona!

2008/09 - 5th

Pellegrini in Europe...

2004/05 - Villareal - Quarter final UEFA Cup

2005/06 - Villareal - Semi final Champions League

2006/07 - Villareal - Lost Intertoto Cup

2007/08 - Villareal - Last 32 round UEFA Cup

2008/09 - Villareal - Quarter final Champions League

2009/10 - Real Madrid - Last 16 Champions League

2012/13 - Malaga - Quarter final Champions League

2013/14 - Man City - Last 16 Champions League

2014/15 - Man City - Last 16 Champions League

2015/16 - Man City - Champions League semi final

Did anyone listen to the Guardian football podcast this morning? James Richardson and Paulo Bandini (who generally know their continental football) both seemed to have heard quite specifically that Rudi Garcia is 'in line' to come here. Their take was that he did a great job for a year at Roma, and was a very good manager for building a strong dressing room rapport, spirit etc, but second season in, didn't have a plan B, got stale, loads of dull draws. Anybody else heard more about this?

Did anyone listen to the Guardian football podcast this morning? James Richardson and Paulo Bandini (who generally know their continental football) both seemed to have heard quite specifically that Rudi Garcia is 'in line' to come here. Their take was that he did a great job for a year at Roma, and was a very good manager for building a strong dressing room rapport, spirit etc, but second season in, didn't have a plan B, got stale, loads of dull draws. Anybody else heard more about this?

I don't think he's been entirely ruled out. Good manager though, shame what happened to him at Roma.

Someone with far too much time on their hands and an elaborate mind. There is a difference between passing on new information and making up a story full of information we already knew. If any of our current ITKs want to verify that this Jack is indeed a true ITK then go ahead and I'll happily be proved wrong.

That is your opinion, not necessarily fact. I was under the impression that he was the first to mention the alleged rift with Sammy Lee. Now while I've not seen any 100% reliable confirmation of this, a friend I trust was given the same info on the same day Jack posted on Sotonians. The fact that early on Lee was confirmed as staying on at the club lends credence to this rumour.

That is your opinion, not necessarily fact. I was under the impression that he was the first to mention the alleged rift with Sammy Lee. Now while I've not seen any 100% reliable confirmation of this, a friend I trust was given the same info on the same day Jack posted on Sotonians. The fact that early on Lee was confirmed as staying on at the club lends credence to this rumour.

This is entirely my point. All of the information he posted was posted before, either on here by the ITKs or alluded to by journalists in some way. No new information has come to light that has been proven to be correct.

This is entirely my point. All of the information he posted was posted before, either on here by the ITKs or alluded to by journalists in some way. No new information has come to light that has been proven to be correct.

What is entirely your point? I'd be happy if you can show me where the Sammy Lee thing was publicised before Jack posted it.

Malaga Before Pellegrini...

2009/10 - 17th (avoided relegation by 1 point!)

Malaga With Pellegrini...

2010/11 - 11th

2011/12 - 4th

2012/13 - 6th

To turn a relegation threatened team into a Champions League quarter finalist in just 3 years is extremely impressive!

Villareal Before Pellegrini...

2003/04 - 8th

Villarreal With Pellegrini...

2004/05 - 3rd

2005/06 - 7th

2006/07 - 5th

2007/08 - 2nd - Very impressive to get Villarreal 10 points ahead of Barcelona!

2008/09 - 5th

Pellegrini in Europe...

2004/05 - Villareal - Quarter final UEFA Cup

2005/06 - Villareal - Semi final Champions League

2006/07 - Villareal - Lost Intertoto Cup

2007/08 - Villareal - Last 32 round UEFA Cup

2008/09 - Villareal - Quarter final Champions League

2009/10 - Real Madrid - Last 16 Champions League

2012/13 - Malaga - Quarter final Champions League

2013/14 - Man City - Last 16 Champions League

2014/15 - Man City - Last 16 Champions League

2015/16 - Man City - Champions League semi final

Yeah but his eyes look dodgy.... and and and I think he will need a nap before the end of the game.... do we have enough rugs on the bench to keep his old legs warm???

He is without doubt the best available manager and I would be delighted if he joined us.

On balance, I'd probably go for Pellegrini.

I don't think he's a perfect match for the 'Southampton way' project, but he is the highest profile of the supposed candidates and at a point in time where we are endeavouring to maximise our commercial potential, having a premier league winner as our manager will raise our profile (commercially) more than a relatively unknown manager.

Edited by trousers
@

I'm just going to point out that Pellegrini was a chequebook manager at Malaga as well, when Abdullah Al Thani took over. They signed the likes of Isco, Van Nistelrooy, Joaquin, Monreal and Toulalan, and broke their transfer record to sign Santi Cazorla (coincidentally from Villarreal) in 2011/12 for 21 million Euros. They'd never had that much money before and it showed.