The New, New Manager Thread

St Chalet

Who Would You Choose?  

415 members have voted

1. 1. Who Would You Choose?

Maybe he's moving to BT Sport, to challenge Michael Owen's crown of Sh*test Commentator.

I think he already does do commentary on BT Sport

Yep, always mentioned to my brother how on earth he get's to go on BT sport, sky and ITV in the same season. No one else would get away with that!

(Not sure if he's still on sky but pretty sure I've seen him on there in the last year or so)

Yep, always mentioned to my brother how on earth he get's to go on BT sport, sky and ITV in the same season. No one else would get away with that!

(Not sure if he's still on sky but pretty sure I've seen him on there in the last year or so)

The fellow is an ancient irrelevance to the modern game to boot.

I'm surprised that nobody has mentioned The Times from this morning:

Southampton are planning to interview Carlos Carvalhal, the Sheffield Wednesday head coach, this week as they continue their search for a successor to Ronald Koeman.

The south coast club suffered a blow yesterday when Rudi García, the former Roma and Lyons coach, rejected their advances on the grounds that he is only interested in working for a club in the Champions League. Southampton have several other candidates on their shortlist, including Fenerbahce coach Vitor Pereira, but speaking to Carvalhal is now their priority.

The Portuguese has had an itinerant career, working at 14 different clubs in Portugal and Turkey before joining Wednesday at the start of last season, which finished with the South Yorkshire club losing to Hull City in the Championship play-off final.

The 50-year-old’s representatives have been contacted by Southampton, who have been impressed with his almost reaching the Premier League on a limited budget, and he is expected to discuss the job in the next few days.

Don´t want to start a new thread but a colleague of mine - he´s from Holland - just told me Pelle will leaving for Everton after the Euros. They intervjued him and K****M yesterday in Dutch media and they seems to be in love

with all the nice things they had to say about each other....Just wanted to share what I been told.

Don´t want to start a new thread but a colleague of mine - he´s from Holland - just told me Pelle will leaving for Everton after the Euros. They intervjued him and K****M yesterday in Dutch media and they seems to be in love

with all the nice things they had to say about each other....Just wanted to share what I been told.

We'll see, making up crap transfer stories is not exclusive to the English you know. I'd have thought pelle wanted to go to Italy.

Don't mind that, as long as the fee is good. Pelle has been great for us but he's 31 next month and we've had the best out of him.

Southampton are planning to interview Carlos Carvalhal, the Sheffield Wednesday head coach, this week as they continue their search for a successor to Ronald Koeman.

The south coast club suffered a blow yesterday when Rudi García, the former Roma and Lyons coach, rejected their advances on the grounds that he is only interested in working for a club in the Champions League. Southampton have several other candidates on their shortlist, including Fenerbahce coach Vitor Pereira, but speaking to Carvalhal is now their priority.

The Portuguese has had an itinerant career, working at 14 different clubs in Portugal and Turkey before joining Wednesday at the start of last season, which finished with the South Yorkshire club losing to Hull City in the Championship play-off final.

The 50-year-old’s representatives have been contacted by Southampton, who have been impressed with his almost reaching the Premier League on a limited budget, and he is expected to discuss the job in the next few days.

Adam Leitch dismissed him and Zenga. Assume it's just paper talk.https://twitter.com/adamleitchsport

I like Pelle but I get the feeling not to many saints fans will be that devastated by a 31 year old forward leaving.

I thought Garcia turned us down a few days ago. I can't see us being interested in Wednesday's manager if we dismissed Howe as not experienced enough in the top flight.

Can anyone tell me why any top or ambitious manager would want to come to a club which sells its best players, year on year? That must be why we are drawing blanks at the top and now looking down to Sheffield Wednesday. Please let me be wrong and I will be so happy to apologise

Can anyone tell me why any top or ambitious manager would want to come to a club which sells its best players, year on year?

The time to be concerned is not when we sell players to top clubs, its when the top clubs don't want our players... that would suggest we have had a decline in quality and hasn't happened. Top clubs wanting our player is a sign that we are extremely successful. The number of clubs that aren't "selling clubs" in world football is tiny 3/4/5 at most.

We have just finished 6th, in the Europa League, have one of the biggest incomes/wagebills/transfer budgets in world football. We offered Koeman £86,000 p/w, those kinds of wages should be able to attract a high calibre of manager.

That must be why we are drawing blanks at the top and now looking down to Sheffield Wednesday. Please let me be wrong and I will be so happy to apologise

The Sheff Weds manager story was The Mirror sports desk dartboard of random rumours for clickbait articles to get Saints & Owls fans to read their website yesterday. It appears to have worked on you! The Walter Zenga nonsense story was in the Daily Star!

Why have you jumped to conclusions we are "drawing blanks", do you have anything remotely approaching good evidence for that? The journalists who Saints leak news to are Telegraph's Jeremy Wilson, BBC's Adam Blackmore & PA's Simon Peach... not the gutter press tabloids.

Can anyone tell me why any top or ambitious manager would want to come to a club which sells its best players, year on year? That must be why we are drawing blanks at the top and now looking down to Sheffield Wednesday. Please let me be wrong and I will be so happy to apologise

Are we drawing blanks? Are we really looking at the Sheffield Wednesday guy or are you just doing an Alpine and believing everything you read?

Dortmund, Schalke, Sevilla and Atletico do this year on year as well. They're still attractive clubs for most managers.

And if you believe anything printed in the papers as gospel that's not from the journos that we know are normally spot on about the club ie Wilson, Peach more recently Sam Wallace, you're gullible

If think we're going for Sheffield Wednesday's manager, yes you're wrong.

Bugger!!!!

Tancredi Palmeri ‏@tancredipalmeri 2m2 minutes ago

Pellegrini has received a 10m€ offer per year to be next Russia manager

Perfect test as to his motivations at this stage of his career. If he turns that sort of money down then that's a good indication that he still has something to prove in England.

That'll be a thankless and joyless task. Really would be solely for the money.

if he even gets paid.......

After succeeding Fabio Capello as Russia coach last July, Slutsky had a contract until the end of the Euros and was only being paid expenses by his national union because the sacking of Capello nearly bankrupted the Russian FA.

The decision to remove former England manager Capello left Russian authorities £30million in debt after the Italian received a £10.5m pay-off.

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-3652048/Leonid-Slutsky-offers-resignation-Russia-manager-team-thrashed-3-0-Wales-finish-bottom-Group-B-Euro-2016.html#ixzz4CEGzJ1yc

Follow us: @MailOnline on Twitter | DailyMail on Facebook

Maybe MP has a large family he wants to provide for, but life is too short to take on a load of hassle, and I imagine that he probably already has enough money to be able to decide what he wants to do. Russia is hassle, but relatively easy. €10m when we would be about half that.

Blackballed?

Does anyone else sense that the 'Managers Club' have put the word out we're a poisoned chalice for whatever reason? Cannot understand why so many out of work managers would not even want to talk with us. Easy to understand a quick call from Frank de Boer to his mate Koeman would put the kaibosh on that particular move, but others too...Garcia should not be out of our league. Now we're being associated with a whole raft of no-names with less than stellar CV's that totally underwhelm me.

Think the deadline we set for ourselves is silly - adds pressure to make a quick decision from limited options. Our desperation is beginning to show. We should make a statement saying we'll take however long it takes to get the right person.

Blackballed?

Does anyone else sense that the 'Managers Club' have put the word out we're a poisoned chalice for whatever reason? Cannot understand why so many out of work managers would not even want to talk with us. Easy to understand a quick call from Frank de Boer to his mate Koeman would put the kaibosh on that particular move, but others too...Garcia should not be out of our league. Now we're being associated with a whole raft of no-names with less than stellar CV's that totally underwhelm me.

Think the deadline we set for ourselves is silly - adds pressure to make a quick decision from limited options. Our desperation is beginning to show. We should make a statement saying we'll take however long it takes to get the right person.

As far as I can tell Garcia is the only one manager to turn us down because, it was reported, he wants a CL club other than that I have no idea who the club have and haven't talked to but you seem ITK so please share all the mangers who haven't wanted to talk to us..

Edited by doddisalegend

Blackballed?

This is special.