• Leave Before - Leave Now
    • Leave Before - Remain Now
    • Leave Before - Not Bothered Now
    • Remain Before - Remain Now
    • Remain Before - Leave Now
    • Remain Before - Not Bothered Now
    • Not Bothered Before - Leave Now
    • Not Bothered Before - Remain Now
    • I've never been bothered - Why am I on this Thread?
    • No second Ref - 2016 was Definitive and Binding

Net migration figures for 2022 are 606,000 with immigration figures over 1 million. Are we going to see a backlash from the Gammons about this figure or are they happy that taking control of our borders has resulted in letting more Johnny Foreigners in than before?

Edited by sadoldgit
Changed text
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, sadoldgit said:

Net migration figures for 2022 are 606,000 with immigration figures over 1 million. Are we going to see a backlash from the Gammons about this figure or are they happy that taking control of our borders has resulted in letting more Johnny Foreigners in than before?

I imagine some people won’t be happy. You know the type, people who assume anyone not white is an immigrant, but as we know the odd one of those supported Remain.

Seeing as non EU immigration has always been under the control of Government, I can’t really see why this is Brexit related. I guess when you’re suffering Brexit deranged syndrome everything in life  is. 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Lord Duckhunter said:

I imagine some people won’t be happy. You know the type, people who assume anyone not white is an immigrant, but as we know the odd one of those supported Remain.

Seeing as non EU immigration has always been under the control of Government, I can’t really see why this is Brexit related. I guess when you’re suffering Brexit deranged syndrome everything in life  is. 

Wasn’t reducing immigration a big selling point of the Brexiteers? As a supporter of Farage you will remember his rhetoric. Strange that you don’t find it a big issue now that the likes of Priti Patel and Suella Braverman are f**king it up. Batman has gone to ground as well as Braverman. Must be tough for you guys to see your brave new world turn to shit. More and more people who voted to leave are realising it was a huge mistake. Good to see that you are prepared to go down with the ship though. 🫡

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, sadoldgit said:

Wasn’t reducing immigration a big selling point of the Brexiteers? 

No

Taking back control of EU immigration was. I can understand why people who assume all non whites are immigrants probably couldn’t grasp the nuances, but I won’t  hold that against you. Maybe some more research needed before you post again. 

Edited by Lord Duckhunter
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, sadoldgit said:

. Good to see that you are prepared to go down with the ship though. 🫡

Unless you have another way out, you are going down with it as well.

As for the figures for non-EU immigrants; 114K are from Ukraine, and another 52K are from Hong Kong under the special visa program following China's political clampdown.

Edited by badgerx16
  • Like 1

57 minutes ago, Lord Duckhunter said:

No

Taking back control of EU immigration was. I can understand why people who assume all non whites are immigrants probably couldn’t grasp the nuances, but I won’t  hold that against you. Maybe some more research needed before you post again. 

I can grasp the nuances and have seen what he has to say about immigration. Wasn’t his figure 50,000? Does it really matter where they come from or what colour their skin is? 606,000 is 606,000. You are fine with that? Given that your crowd constantly blame the problems on the infrastructure, the NHS, getting a doctors appointment, getting a job etc on the high number of immigrants, surely you may be unhappy with the way the figure is going up?

26 minutes ago, badgerx16 said:

Unless you have another way out, you are going down with it as well.

As for the figures for non-EU immigrants; 114K are from Ukraine, and another 52K are from Hong Kong under the special visa program following China's political clampdown.

Yes I am. But I didn’t vote for it or continue to argue that it was the right thing to do and I don’t have a problem with immigration. As I said earlier, an immigrant is an immigrant. It people are putting such a strain on our resources what difference does it make where they come from?

10 minutes ago, revolution saint said:

I don't feel that students should be included in the figures, or if they are then it's made a bit clearer.  Economically they're a huge bonus to the UK and limiting numbers would come at a cost we could do without right now.

Would definitely helpful if they could label good immigrants and shit immigrants in the figures.

Tories are a fucking car crash though - cannot solve their flagship issues. 13 years and the useless fuckers still use PMQs to try and deflect to Labour.  Most see through it but likes of LD well there’s always the gullible fodder

Edited by whelk
  • Like 4

It seems clear to me that immigration at these levels is unsustainable at best and an inevitable disaster for the country. As a land mass England is now the most densely populated country in Europe. Our public services are being overrun and our housing is in crisis, there appears to be no end to numbers of people on this scale wanting to live here, despite the UK now being a basket case due to Brexit (?). The public have been consistently lied to since Blair opened the gates and Cameron happily talked of immigration numbers in the "tens of thousands", despite being advised that this was bullshit.  This lie has been repeated since as it's considered a large enough issue to win votes. Of course there are those who are happy to see large numbers of immigrants, as it increases our GDP (slightly), so Sunak can impress his globalist mates, and provides a larger pool of cheaper labour, despite the fact we already have 5 million people not currently working.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, sadoldgit said:

I can grasp the nuances

As I said earlier, an immigrant is an immigrant.

If you can’t see the difference between an Albanian and a Ukrainian, someone from Hong Kong compared to someone from Belgium, then I don’t think you really do get the nuances. But then you’re the bloke that compared the treatment of Jews to the treatment of gingers, so that doesn’t particularly surprise me. What does surprise me is that you continue to see every single political issue through the prism of Brexit, a yin to Bill Cash’s Yang. Immigration was too high when we were in the EU & it’s too high now we’re out, the only difference is the Government is now accountable 100% for the figures, a good thing yes? 

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Lord Duckhunter said:

No

You know full well that one of the many claims made by Leave campaigners was that taking control of EU migration would result in the overall numbers coming down. It was one of the myriad falsehoods propagated by the campaign designed to appeal to the kind of low IQ voters who didn't (and probably still don't) understand the difference between EU and non-EU migration.

• Like 3

33 minutes ago, Sheaf Saint said:

designed to appeal to the kind of low IQ voters who didn't (and probably still don't) understand the difference between EU and non-EU migration.

Soggy doesn’t seem to understand, perhaps he’s one of the “low IQ” voters.  you enjoy sneering at. 

1 hour ago, AlexLaw76 said:

adding 2-3 Southampton's every year is insane and will lead to the crash of this country

I agree the figures look bad but they include significant numbers of foreign students which, unfortunately, provide revenue for our hard pressed universities  (perhaps there are too many in the country now and consideration given to skill based courses?)
The question here is why do some students need to bring family members with them?
Apart from this the numbers of Ukrainians requiring sanctuary will bottom out when peace eventually returns to their country (hopefully)
On the reverse the arrival of people from Hong Kong may increase if the situation gets worse over there.
However many of the people from Hong Kong are able to bring in skills which may improve the UK.
All said and done we will struggle with accommodation and provision of services unless those arriving can add value to the country as a whole.

2 hours ago, AlexLaw76 said:

adding 2-3 Southampton's every year is insane and will lead to the crash of this country

The alternative will cause as much of a crash. Our economy is addicted to immigrant labour, both parties are addicted to immigrant labour, only difference is the Tories just pretend they aren’t. No politician or party is going to take the necessary reforms of welfare, training, social care, and as somebody mentioned, further education, required to realistically cut down on immigrants. There are measures available to the Government, they could easily toughen legal immigration rules,  but the radical change of direction required is beyond them ( or the opposition). The Treasury will also resist any moves to tighten immigration because of the initial hit the economy will take during the rebalance. 

The difference between pre Brexit & post Brexit won’t be in numbers, it’ll be in the nationality of the immigrants & the accountability for those numbers. The Tories can no longer hide behind freedom of movement, but make no mistake, loosening of immigration policy is a political decision, not some loss of control. They know full well what they’re doing, they just hope we won’t notice. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Lord Duckhunter said:

The alternative will cause as much of a crash. Our economy is addicted to immigrant labour, both parties are addicted to immigrant labour, only difference is the Tories just pretend they aren’t. No politician or party is going to take the necessary reforms of welfare, training, social care, and as somebody mentioned, further education, required to realistically cut down on immigrants. There are measures available to the Government, they could easily toughen legal immigration rules,  but the radical change of direction required is beyond them ( or the opposition). The Treasury will also resist any moves to tighten immigration because of the initial hit the economy will take during the rebalance. 

The NHS for one would fall apart without nurses from the Philippines, radiographers from the Indian sub continent, doctors from Europe etc etc. (Just a few examples of the health staff that I have encountered in the last few months). 

• Like 1

On 23/05/2023 at 14:19, Danbert said:

This week, Germany fell into a technical recession, with GDP contracting in the final quarter of 2022 and again in the first quarter of 2023. Around the same time, the IMF revised its forecasts, stating that Britain will not be facing a recession this year.

It seems that Brexit is even affecting Germany...

16 hours ago, spyinthesky said:

I agree the figures look bad but they include significant numbers of foreign students which, unfortunately, provide revenue for our hard pressed universities  (perhaps there are too many in the country now and consideration given to skill based courses?)
The question here is why do some students need to bring family members with them?
Apart from this the numbers of Ukrainians requiring sanctuary will bottom out when peace eventually returns to their country (hopefully)
On the reverse the arrival of people from Hong Kong may increase if the situation gets worse over there.
However many of the people from Hong Kong are able to bring in skills which may improve the UK.
All said and done we will struggle with accommodation and provision of services unless those arriving can add value to the country as a whole.

I think in the case of foreign students bringing in family members it is mainly spouses and children ( I may be wrong but I think it only applies to Masters students)? The problem here is that these students could now well look at going to America, Canada, Australia etc. instead of coming here.

Countries need migration, always have done, always will. The truth is that it is a political hot potato and is constantly being weaponised (most effectively during the EU referendum). Instead of having a grown up conversation about how to manage it, it is used as a stick to stir up the electorate. The lady LibDem on the panel of QT was right last night when she said that there is no right or wrong figure, it needs to be managed according to the needs of the country.

We have had Cameron and May talking about tens of thousands which has been dumped now in favour of the current figure is too high (this party has been in power for 13 years but apparently they still feel it is okay to call out Labour).

The good news is that it isn’t such a big deal anymore as The Daily Mail feels that the bigger story yesterday was a few Eco Warriors causing a bit of a fuss at the Chelsea Flower Show. The PM gets that the figure is too high (no shit Sherlock) whilst the person in charge of immigration is no where to be seen.

Whelk made the point about good migrants and bad migrants, sadly this Government drum up the belief that all migrants are going to peddle drugs, rape you and burgle your home whilst being responsible for record figures and failing to deal with those awaiting asylum decisions in a timely fashion when they could be allowed to work, add to the economy and be less of a burden to the tax payers. Of course it suits their narrative for migrants to be a “problem” as it becomes a means to distract the electorate to their failings in other areas. Trouble is even the most hard of thinking are beginning to see through the BS despite the ridiculous Mail, Express and Telegraph editorials and Braverman and the NatC member sound bites.

There are particular reasons why last year’s figure is so high and it is not unreasonable to point out that it will fall. What is unreasonable is to trot out the nonsense that it will be “tens of thousands” or that our problems are down to migrants and once we “control” migration our problems will be over. It was always a massive ruse drummed up by Farage and fellow nationalists to forward their own Little England agenda - and it worked.

Edited by sadoldgit
Added text
  • Like 1

27 minutes ago, sadoldgit said:

The lady LibDem on the panel of QT was right last night when she said that there is no right or wrong figure, it needs to be managed according to the needs of the country.

The PM gets that the figure is too high (no shit Sherlock) whilst the person in charge of immigration is no where to be seen.

Let’s get your ridiculous rant straight.

The lady was right when she says there’s “no right or wrong” figure, and the correct number is the number the country needs Yet the PM is also right when he says the figure is too high.

For both to be right (in your eyes) you must believe it’s too high because the country doesn’t need that many at the moment. Therefore a legitimate question is where do you think we can afford to cut the numbers?

Should we take less students and their families, less care home workers, less bankers, less NHS workers. As the Government sets visa criteria, which careers areas should be tightened because we have too many people working in them already and where can we afford to take less migrants without impacting the economy?

You must believe there is somewhere, because otherwise you wouldn’t think immigration was too high. 

19 minutes ago, Lord Duckhunter said:

The lady was right when she says there’s “no right or wrong” figure, and the correct number is the number the country needs Yet the PM is also right when he says the figure is too high.

For both to be right (in your eyes) you must believe it’s too high because the country doesn’t need that many at the moment. Therefore a legitimate question is where do you think we can afford to cut the numbers?

Should we take less students and their families, less care home workers, less bankers, less NHS workers. As the Government sets visa criteria, which careers areas should be tightened because we have too many people working in them already and where can we afford to take less migrants without impacting the economy?

You must believe there is somewhere, because otherwise you wouldn’t think immigration was too high. 

It's more complex than that though isn't it. The 'right' number depends on strategic policy decsions and what people actually want, what kind of society they want to live in.  Do we want to invest in training Brits into high skill jobs or to import the skilled staff necessary after somebody else has trained them.  Do we want to import low skill immigrants to to serve us coffee in Costa cafes or does that just exacerbate the housing crisis and we can just use the automated Costa machines as found in service stations instead. Do we kick all the students out when they graduate or do we ask them to stay because they are young and bright and likely to contribute more to the economy than than a no GCSE refusnik from Moss Side.    

Edited by buctootim
  • Like 1

26 minutes ago, Lord Duckhunter said:

We are told that the figure is too high by both the PM and the leader of the opposition so who am I to disagree? We are also told that these figures have been inflated by people coming from Hong Kong, Ukraine and Afghanistan. Understandable and obviously this has inflated the figures above what we would normally expect. The figures were much lower when we had freedom of movement within the EU and strangely, also we didn’t have such a problem filling certain vacancies. 🤔

In an ideal world I would prefer it if we could all live and work where we pleased. Sadly it is far from an ideal world and it is clear that each country has to have an immigration policy. Do you understand what ours is and how we went from tens of thousands to hundreds of thousands? Can you explain why only 1% of asylum seekers claims have been processed in the last year? Can you explain why immigration has become so much higher now we have control over legal immigrates than it was when we had open borders with members of the EU? How do you explain the relaxed attitude to the Tory government’s attitude to legal immigration numbers when the far right/alt right Farageites claimed that immigrants were taking our jobs, sponging off the state, making a drain on our housing, driving down wages, overloading the NHS and other services etc?

Would agree that before you arrive at a figure (like tens of thousands, where did that figure come from?) we should employ some joined up thinking and work out what we need, where we need them along with all of the other relevant variables so that we can arrive at a policy fit for purpose.

Immigration and immigrants have  been demonised for political purposes as you will know as a supporter of Farage and UKIP. The right wing media had decided not to be outraged by the constant failing of the Tory Government to keep to their supposed targets so watch them turn on other minority groups (benefit seekers, trans people) as the next election comes closer. The right need an enemy and seem to be cooling on immigrants now it is becoming more and more evident that we need them.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, sadoldgit said:

We are told that the figure is too high by both the PM and the leader of the opposition so who am I to disagree?

Can you explain why immigration has become so much higher now we have control over legal immigrates than it was when we had open borders with members of the EU? How do you explain the relaxed attitude to the Tory government’s attitude to legal immigration numbers 

firstly, despite posting “no shit Sherlock “ when The PM said immigration was too high, you’re now rowing back and don’t seem to have an opinion.. Typical Sog. 

Secondly, I’ve already explained why immigration is so high despite us controlling it. You probably had me on ignore yesterday, so may have missed it, as must be off ignore now I will repeat. It is Government policy to have a loose immigration policy, it covers up a multiple of sins. The Government & particularly the treasury do not want less immigration. Is it really beyond you to understand that control of immigration means just that, and if you want that control to result in higher numbers, that’s what will happen. The only difference between the parties is the Tories pretend they want less. 

On 26/05/2023 at 14:38, Lord Duckhunter said:

You are a racist. Funny. Not all Brexshitters are racist but all racists voted for Brexshit!

• Haha 1

3 minutes ago, Warriorsaint said:
On 26/05/2023 at 12:38, Lord Duckhunter said:

Dare you to come off ignore fudmuncher and address the latest

I only eat british meat, and my fav cheese in made in devon, so i guess ill not having to worry about the prices of EU made dairy and meat products going up.

Support local buisness and lower your carbon footprint on your bacon cheese butty!!!!!!!!! Do your part lol

6 minutes ago, Mosin said:

I only eat british meat, and my fav cheese in made in devon, so i guess ill not having to worry about the prices of EU made dairy and meat products going up.

Support local buisness and lower your carbon footprint on your bacon cheese butty!!!!!!!!! Do your part lol

You’ll be reduced to eating cardboard and bleating about much “Greater”Britain is now because of your Tory Stockholm syndrome. 
Less and less people buy it and although I have compassion for the deluded and those who believed the lies but I have none for the wilfully mentally retarded who still “believe “

3 minutes ago, Warriorsaint said:

You’ll be reduced to eating cardboard and bleating about much “Greater”Britain is now because of your Tory Stockholm syndrome. 
Less and less people buy it and although I have compassion for the deluded and those who believed the lies but I have none for the wilfully mentally retarded who still “believe “

lol, i doubt ill be close to eating carboard any time soon. if things are that tough for you, have you tried a job?

1 hour ago, Mosin said:

Except if the price of foreign meat and cheese go up you can probably expect British prices to follow. 

• Like 2

3 hours ago, aintforever said:

Except if the price of foreign meat and cheese go up you can probably expect British prices to follow. 

maybe, maybe not. they might keep prices the same to encourage people to buy its produce instead. saves public face too when people start moaning about it which they will, will make them look bad putting prices up for no other reason other than pure greed.

6 hours ago, Mosin said:

I only eat british meat

I bet you don't, even if you try hard. The only time you can be sure of origin is for raw unprocessed meat bought in a little tray in supermarket - and even then you need to read labels closely. Once its been cooked eg chicken wings or ham they dont have to tell you. Ditto in ready meals or restaurants.  Most individual butchers will tell you what you want to hear.  

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, Mosin said:

maybe, maybe not. they might keep prices the same to encourage people to buy its produce instead. saves public face too when people start moaning about it which they will, will make them look bad putting prices up for no other reason other than pure greed.

I guess you’ve never been in business then.

• Like 1

19 hours ago, buctootim said:

I bet you don't, even if you try hard. The only time you can be sure of origin is for raw unprocessed meat bought in a little tray in supermarket - and even then you need to read labels closely. Once its been cooked eg chicken wings or ham they dont have to tell you. Ditto in ready meals or restaurants.  Most individual butchers will tell you what you want to hear.  

Wrong, i shop at a family run farm shop, every single item sold is made on the farm its self, they even do goods for supermarkerts.

19 hours ago, Whitey Grandad said:

I guess you’ve never been in business then.

ive not done business no, you are right, But i cant picture them raising prices when Australian meat and other items are already starting to flow into the UK. compitition keeps prices lower.

14 minutes ago, Mosin said:

.......i cant picture them raising prices when Australian meat and other items are already starting to flow into the UK. compitition keeps prices lower.

What is likely to happen is antipodean imports will undercut British producers to the extent that the smaller UK farmers find their businesses to be uneconomic.

To quote the National Farmers Union evidence to a Government Committee; "Specifically, lower production costs and weaker standards will see the introduction of more competitive Australian imports that will become completely tariff-free after 15 years. Asking UK farmers to go toe-to-toe whilst maintaining their sustainability, environmental, and animal welfare commitments significantly risks the longevity of the UK agricultural sector in the future.  "

Edited by badgerx16

1 minute ago, badgerx16 said:

What is likely to happen is antipodean imports will undercut British producers to the extent that the smaller UK farmers find their businesses to be uneconomic.

Seems odd that after the costs of import, Oz produce can undercut ours. The weak pound is undoubtedly a factor, but if we're efficient, we should be able to undercut imports from a developed country. 

Just now, egg said:

Seems odd that after the costs of import, Oz produce can undercut ours. The weak pound is undoubtedly a factor, but if we're efficient, we should be able to undercut imports from a developed country. 

See the addition to my post.

5 minutes ago, badgerx16 said:

then they are not likely to be raising the price to be greedy while trying to keep prices down so they can compete at the exact same time so they dont lose custom to the cheaper producer.

It cant go both ways.

10 minutes ago, badgerx16 said:

To quote the National Farmers Union evidence to a Government Committee; "Specifically, lower production costs and weaker standards will see the introduction of more competitive Australian imports that will become completely tariff-free after 15 years. Asking UK farmers to go toe-to-toe whilst maintaining their sustainability, environmental, and animal welfare commitments significantly risks the longevity of the UK agricultural sector in the future.  "

So more land for houses to overcome the housing crises?

8 minutes ago, egg said:

Our farmer's additional costs must be bloody huge if they cost more than shipping Oz meat etc across the world. 

Think how huge their farms are, and how big their herds must be, coupled with less overheads for compliance. Bulk shipping refrigerated produce is actually quite economic.