New Prime Minister

John B

May's problem may be backing remain, keeping her head down, being Home Secretary for six years as immigration went out of control, doing a U-turn over Europe in less than six months, and especially needing a euro-sceptic majority of party members to vote for her. In the end it may well be the grassroots Tories opt for a Leave supporter.

It'll be Leadsom v May IMO , I guess it just depends if the membership are willing to go for a leaver . Keeping her head down during the referendum may get May over the line , but make no mistake that was a political calculation that she made . Hopefully the blue rinse brigade will see through it and pluck for Angela

It'll be Leadsom v May IMO , I guess it just depends if the membership are willing to go for a leaver . Keeping her head down during the referendum may get May over the line , but make no mistake that was a political calculation that she made . Hopefully the blue rinse brigade will see through it and pluck for Angela

I would certainly vote for Andrea if she emerges as one of the two final candidates. She is gaining momentum.

heard on LBC this morning from someone on the 'inside' that May is expected to win and Leadsome will be the new Chancellor

Leadsom was moved from the Treasury because she was useless according to the FT but I dont think she is experienced enough and seems a bit too right wing

May is experienced but pretty boring

Gove is a serial back stabber apparently

Fox will be knocked out tomorrow

Forgotten the name of the other

Just like Labour no one stands out

What do you think

The "other" is a homophobic welshman.

So, as the Daily Mash put it:

"Two half-baked Thatcher clones, an evil woodland troll, a Welsh Christian homophobe with an untrustworthy beard and the creepiest man in politics since Norman Tebbit."

ffs:mcinnes: anyway I prefer Leadsom

Who said in 2013:

“I don’t think the UK should leave the EU. I think it would be a disaster for our economy and it would lead to a decade of economic and political uncertainty at a time when the tectonic plates of global success are moving.

“Like the rise and fall of the Roman and Greek Empires we are seeing the rise of the Asian and South American economies at a time when our own future is less certain. And to be honest economic success is the vital underpinning of every happy nation. The wellbeing we all crave goes hand in hand with economic success.”

Another opportunist jumping on the Brexit bandwagon.

Who said in 2013:

“I don’t think the UK should leave the EU. I think it would be a disaster for our economy and it would lead to a decade of economic and political uncertainty at a time when the tectonic plates of global success are moving.

“Like the rise and fall of the Roman and Greek Empires we are seeing the rise of the Asian and South American economies at a time when our own future is less certain. And to be honest economic success is the vital underpinning of every happy nation. The wellbeing we all crave goes hand in hand with economic success.”

Another opportunist jumping on the Brexit bandwagon.

Apparently she is not just another hypocritical Tory politician, but rather someone who has been on a "journey" since she said all that stuff back in another lifetime.

True story.

Here's how it shapes up tonight after Boris endorsed Leadsom for PM and Tory leader.

97 - Theresa May

37 - Andrea Leadsom

25 - Michael Gove

22 - Stephen Crabb

08 - Liam Fox

Undeclared - 141

So, presumably the way the British media works, the fact that there are 141 undeclared means that they are all running with the headlines that any one of the five contenders could be in the lead, and they don't have a clue who is?

So, presumably the way the British media works, the fact that there are 141 undeclared means that they are all running with the headlines that any one of the five contenders could be in the lead, and they don't have a clue who is?

This is one of those posts ostensibly making a clever point but actually making no sense whatsoever.

Here's how it shapes up tonight after Boris endorsed Leadsom for PM and Tory leader.

97 - Theresa May

37 - Andrea Leadsom

25 - Michael Gove

22 - Stephen Crabb

08 - Liam Fox

Undeclared - 141

Not looking good for Batman's tips

If you work in a small business, you'd better hope that Leadsom doesn't get in.

This is what she said in Parliament in 2012:

“I envisage there being absolutely no regulation whatsoever—no minimum wage, no maternity or paternity rights, no unfair dismissal rights, no pension rights—for the smallest companies that are trying to get off the ground, in order to give them a chance."

Down to May , Leadsom and Gove now

Crabb probably got an offer of a cabinet post if he withdrew. He's done what he set out to - gain visibility for the next leadership election - and it looks better to step down than be defeated.

Crabb probably got an offer of a cabinet post if he withdrew. He's done what he set out to - gain visibility for the next leadership election - and it looks better to step down than be defeated.

His campaign was transparent from the start - stick a marker down. Fair play, he's raised his profile a bit - I knew he had taken over from IDS a few weeks ago but that was about it. I liked the look of him and could well be a future leader. As it stands the Labour party have given up on me so a centrist one-nation Tory talking about investment in infrastructure might be as good as I'll get for a while.

His main problem is May will need to build a unity cabinet so needs to spread the posts around so not entirely sure he'll get a job much better than what he has now.

I see that Leadsom's had to re-publish her CV after she claimed that she had experience of managing "hundreds of people and billions of funds" and “managing the investment banks team at Barclays”.

In fact she never managed any funds and, according to one retired senior banker who worked with her, she didn't manage any teams, large or small.

Meanwhile labour's potential first women leader is bottling it and leading the most incompetent coup in political history .

She's not bottling it, she's being held back by MPs who know she probably cant beat Corbyn and certainly cant win a general election.

She would be nothing more than a stalking horse. The next leader of the Labour Party is yet to show his hand.

"His" , they should join the 21st century . The party that's obsessed with equality seems incapable of delivering it. Still I guess the pretty little things get to travel in a pink bus every election .

"His" , they should join the 21st century . The party that's obsessed with equality seems incapable of delivering it. Still I guess the pretty little things get to travel in a pink bus every election .

They should choose the best man for the job, whoever she is.

Ian Hislop on Question Time tonight:

‘If you voted leave because you’re worried about immigration, you’ve got a choice of the Home Secretary who was in charge of cutting immigration from 300,000 to tens of thousands - and didn’t do it.

If you voted leave because you’re angry about global capitalism, you’ve got a woman who is funded by a hedge fund. She worked in the banking industry! That’ll really help all those left behind around the country, to help hedge fund managers based in Guernsey.

What choice is that?!’

‘If you voted leave because you’re worried about immigration, you’ve got a choice of the Home Secretary who was in charge of cutting immigration from 300,000 to tens of thousands - and didn’t do it.

If you voted leave because you’re angry about global capitalism, you’ve got a woman who is funded by a hedge fund. She worked in the banking industry! That’ll really help all those left behind around the country, to help hedge fund managers based in Guernsey.

What choice is that?!’

He totally misunderstands our democracy . We do not elect presidents , we elect local MP's to represent us . The party with the most MP's have a leader who is elected by their members , that leader becomes the PM .

We do not elect or have never elected the PM

Edited by Lord Duckhunter

He totally misunderstands our democracy . We do not elect presidents , we elect local MP's to represent us . The party with the most MP's have a leader who is elected by their members , that leader becomes the PM .

I didn't see QT but there's nothing in Hislop's quote above that shows he doesn't understand how our parliamentary democracy works, just a comment on the two candidates.

And suggesting Ian Hislop, editor, popular historian and political commentator of 30 plus years standing doesn't understand how the UK arrives at a PM is rather fanciful, don't you think? Something in me suggests he might just know that.

He was talking about the Conservative party membership voting for their next leader.

I didn't see QT but there's nothing in Hislop's quote above that shows he doesn't understand how our parliamentary democracy works, just a comment on the two candidates.

And suggesting Ian Hislop, editor, popular historian and political commentator of 30 plus years standing doesn't understand how the UK arrives at a PM is rather fanciful, don't you think? Something in me suggests he might just know that.

In addition, my local MP is going to back Brexit in parliament despite his constituency clearly being Remain. In / Out arguments aside, MPs clearly do what they ****ing want to advance their own party careers

What choice is that?!’

Fair point, but Hislop has the worst case of short man syndrome there is,

And our democracy is not based on referendums. Parliament is sovereign.

What choice is that?!’

Who voted Leave because they were angry about global capitalism? How could he arrive at that conclusion when it is plain that freeing ourselves from the restrictions placed upon us by being a member of the EU, we would seek to increase our trade with the rest of the World. This is the sort of glib satirical sound-bite that epitomises nicely his Private Eye background, but like that publication, it isn't to be taken too seriously.

I hope people are aware who proposed Andrea Leadsom as a candidate and who, therefore, will be expecting a nice high up job from her should she become Prime Minister.

Portsmouth North MP & Skate Advocate, Porky Penny herself!

:shakey:

Who voted Leave because they were angry about global capitalism? How could he arrive at that conclusion when it is plain that freeing ourselves from the restrictions placed upon us by being a member of the EU, we would seek to increase our trade with the rest of the World. This is the sort of glib satirical sound-bite that epitomises nicely his Private Eye background, but like that publication, it isn't to be taken too seriously.

Denis Skinner would have done - most hard-left people who voted out would have done so for that exact reason.

Andrea Leadsom says criticism of her CV is 'ridiculous', and she didn't have to put up with this nonsense when she was an astronaut.

*stolen from Twitter

And more from Sathnam Sanghera in The Times this morning:

'Andrea Leadsom exaggerating her achievements is just part of City life'

I laughed when Michael Deacon, of The Daily Telegraph, tweeted that he had “a soft spot for Andrea Leadsom” because he had been “deeply moved by her speech about winning the Wimbledon Ladies’ Singles in 1975”. My colleague Matt Chorley tweeted that “Leadsom will be unfazed by today’s onslaught . . . She faced far worse at the Battle of El Alamein”, while others elsewhere claimed that Mrs Leadsom had fielded for the England cricket team and had played the saxophone solo on Gerry Rafferty’s Baker Street. But, if I’m honest, I don’t think the energy minister deserves all the opprobrium coming her way. Why? Because biographical self-aggrandisement is just part of City life.

Andrea Leadsom says criticism of her CV is 'ridiculous', and she didn't have to put up with this nonsense when she was an astronaut.

*stolen from Twitter

Liedsome's revised CV raises more questions than it answers. Some of her claims are truly gravity-defying.

And our democracy is not based on referendums. Parliament is sovereign.

Parliament voted to hand its sovereignty over EU membership to the people via a referendum . The PM didn't decide to have a referendum off his own back it had to get voted through parliament . The time for Leave losers to use parliament to block the referendum was when the legislation granting one was in front of them , not after they've lost . They didn't, because they thought it was a good idea when they thought they'd win , it only became a bad idea after they lost

Parliament voted to hand its sovereignty over EU membership to the people via a referendum . The PM didn't decide to have a referendum off his own back it had to get voted through parliament . The time for Leave losers to use parliament to block the referendum was when the legislation granting one was in front of them , not after they've lost . They didn't, because they thought it was a good idea when they thought they'd win , it only became a bad idea after they lost

This is simply factually incorrect. As with all Brexiteers, I don't know whether you're saying this as a straight-faced lie or out of ignorance. Legally, this referendum result cannot trump parliamentary sovereignty.

Here's a helpful fact-check for you, written on the day of the referendum and before (obviously) the result was known.

http://www.theguardian.com/politics/2016/jun/23/eu-referendum-legally-binding-brexit-lisbon-cameron-sovereign-parliament

Interesting, too, that the idea of a second referendum was actually been floated by some leavers, because they (among them Johnson) saw the vote as a means of leveraging a better deal out of Brussels.

There has even been the argument, made by some in the Brexit camp, that the mere threat of departure following a vote to leave could smooth the way to a better deal for Britain which could then be put to voters in a second referendum on EU membership.