Fonte Transfer Rumours

Master Bates

Captain....to me you need to be an automatic starter and AFAI can see, we have 3 + Boufal. They would be Forster, VVD and Tadic. Even then Tadic might not be automatic. So that is down to 2 and as I think out field is better than goalie, so that leaves VVD. People might say that Fonte is an automatic starter, but if his head isn't right and he is going to angle for a move, then maybe Yoshi would be better!!! Yikes!!!!

Bertrand is an automatic starter and our second best player

Strip him of the captaincy? Come ON. He's here, he's our leader. We forgave Schneiderlin and will forgive him.

He's only saying what every other player is thinking . There is not one , not one , of our players that wouldn't feel the same if Utd were in for them . FFS it's always been the same . Le Tiss would have left for Spurs had he not been under the thumb . When are people going to realise the only loyalty in football comes from the fans

Don't like the idea that it would be disloyal to leave for Man Utd after seven years of great service.

Edited by DuncanRG

Win a trophy here then Jose Fonte, look at when United won the FA cup last year, it means f-all to them compared to a club outside the top 4 winning a trophy.

No one will remember that back up centre back that won the FA cup for United in 2016 in 10 years time, people still remember the team that won the cup for Southampton 1976.

Win a trophy here then Jose Fonte, look at when United won the FA cup last year, it means f-all to them compared to a club outside the top 4 winning a trophy.

No one will remember that back up centre back that won the FA cup for United in 2016 in 10 years time, people still remember the team that won the cup for Southampton 1976.

Give it a rest. He hasn't said or done anything wrong. This is what he said. "I’m focused on Southampton. I’ve lots of targets: to play in the Champs League, to play in a World Cup, to win a trophy in England."

Some of our fans are the ones jumping to the conclusion that it's impossible to win a trophy or play in the Champions League here, not Fonte.

Is he now going to have our so-called fans on his back for the rest of the season, trying to hound him out of the club?

Didn't I read one of our ITK possibly Guan saying there had been no bid from the Mancs for Fonte.

If there was no bid we didn't deny him a move ?

Give it a rest. When did he say the club had denied him a move??? Sounds like some of our fans have already made up their minds he is going to be their latest hate figure and are just making stuff up to try to discredit him. Next, it will be he didn't smile enough during a match, he's not trying because he's sulking etc etc. It's pathetic behaviour from so-called fans of a team in which he has been the most loyal player and captain.

Give it a rest. He hasn't said or done anything wrong. This is what he said. "I’m focused on Southampton. I’ve lots of targets: to play in the Champs League, to play in a World Cup, to win a trophy in England."

Some of our fans are the ones jumping to the conclusion that it's impossible to win a trophy or play in the Champions League here, not Fonte.

Is he now going to have our so-called fans on his back for the rest of the season, trying to hound him out of the club?

How does anything I wrote in that post suggest I was on his back trying to hound him out of the club? :lol:

Let's have a bit of a reality check here:

1) I would expect all of our players to be interested in a move should MUFC come knocking. They'e the biggest club in the country and one of the top 4 in Europe, if not the world, we aren't anywhere near them in stature.

2) It's hardly like JF has used the club as a stepping stone. He dropped a league to join us, won a trophy, successive promotions, helped establish us as a solid top half PL Side, captained us and has nearly 250 appearances for the club in 6 years. He can hardly be described as being disloyal.

Let's have a bit of a reality check here:

1) I would expect all of our players to be interested in a move should MUFC come knocking. They'e the biggest club in the country and one of the top 4 in Europe, if not the world, we aren't anywhere near them in stature.

2) It's hardly like JF has used the club as a stepping stone. He dropped a league to join us, won a trophy, successive promotions, helped establish us as a solid top half PL Side, captained us and has nearly 250 appearances for the club in 6 years. He can hardly be described as being disloyal.

Agree 100%. I don't want him to see him go, but (like Lambert) I wouldn't deny him the opportunity of a top level move - if the chance ever arose.

Agree 100%. I don't want him to see him go, but (like Lambert) I wouldn't deny him the opportunity of a top level move - if the chance ever arose.

I would, I want saints to keep their best players for the maximum amount of time. if they signed a deal less than 12 months ago (which no one forced him to) then unlucky son, you are staying

From the horse's mouth

Once in the national team only national team interviews/talks are allowed hence my "let's leave that for another time" when asked about questions regarding my own club situation.

To make it perfectly clear to everyone that might have some difficulty understanding I am a Southampton player,and proudly have been since 2010,understand that once I step on the pitch with the saints shirt and armband I give my blood,sweat and tears for the club and will always will no matter what you read or think.

My professionalism means everything to me,and no one can point me a finger about it.

I am fully committed to succeed with my 2 teams @southamptonfc and @selecoesportugal

Thank you #wemarchon

Edited by dronskisaint
caption

In fairness there's been plenty of opportunity for Fonte to talk about his commitment to SFC before he went away.

It's all done now and he's stuck with us for at least another season (probably for a while longer as the moment has passed for him now).

He needs to get on with being any good for us on the pitch starting next week.

we seem to be prone to letting these types of situation become very acrimonious............plus, and this is just my perception, our players are consistently easy to prize away.

You have to put that into the context of where our players are going Liverpool, spurs, Arsenal and Man U are all teams players would find it easy to leave saints for. The time to worry is when players want to go to Palace, westbrom and Stoke rather than stay at saints...

What's with new found love for trying to spray long diagonal balls? Thought he would have learnt he was tosh at them after the Man U game.

It's due to the formation - when the ball's out wide at the back all of the space is in front of our full back on the other side. Worked nicely pre-season when Cedric found himself on the edge of the box after Van Dijk fired one off.

It's due to the formation - when the ball's out wide at the back all of the space is in front of our full back on the other side. Worked nicely pre-season when Cedric found himself on the edge of the box after Van Dijk fired one off.

So, keep the front 6 narrow, and fire long diagonals from FB to the opposite wing? Route one-and-a-half football?

And are we now saying that we have a PL captain who is forbidden by his national FA to do any domestic interviews/media work?

a) scarey or b) bullcr8p ?

Thanks for clarification and sentiments, just a shame some are so easily led by the media.

Doubt it will stop the witch hunt though

Don't think there's really a witch hunt been going on, just the whole 'players leaving' thing is a bit of a sore subject for us SFC fans and we tend to get a bit twitchy on the subject.

As someone who was critical about Jose earlier in this thread, I'm delighted to read this instagram message, it's great to hear this from him finally. Time to move on now.

Looking forward to seeing the old Jose we know and love, back to his best for the coming season.

Edited by New Forest Steve
spelling

Don't think there's really a witch hunt been going on, just the whole 'players leaving' thing is a bit of a sore subject for us SFC fans and we tend to get a bit twitchy on the subject.

As someone who was critical about Jose earlier in this thread, I'm delighted to read this instagram message, it's great to hear this from him finally. Time to move on now.

Looking forward to seeing the old Jose we know and love, back to his best for the coming season.

Well said. From a purely "business" decision, selling Jose to Man U provided we had a good replacement lined up would have worked well. Now that the storm has passed though it's great to look forward to another season or two from a very decent CB and Club stalwart.

AR-10 before s/he was driven away by the petulant Batman (sigh) said no offer had been received by SFC for Fonte. It seemed to be the case that while they might have been a plant by the company they probably were (and according to one poster who reckoned they knew who AR-10 was and so said they were most definitely ITK if that was the case) they did know stuff so on that basis as it's likely to be the best that we have given Guan and KBS don't know anything and Puel seemed to know nothing and doesn't look like he could lie to save his life I'll agree with those who consider that stuff from the MEN is garbage. After all, it's down to them we have the Metro (free paper, not crap public transport).

AR-10 before s/he was driven away by the petulant Batman (sigh) said no offer had been received by SFC for Fonte. It seemed to be the case that while they might have been a plant by the company they probably were (and according to one poster who reckoned they knew who AR-10 was and so said they were most definitely ITK if that was the case) they did know stuff so on that basis as it's likely to be the best that we have given Guan and KBS don't know anything and Puel seemed to know nothing and doesn't look like he could lie to save his life I'll agree with those who consider that stuff from the MEN is garbage. After all, it's down to them we have the Metro (free paper, not crap public transport).

Driven away?

Get a grip ffs

AR-10 before s/he was driven away by the petulant Batman (sigh)

AR-10 is a tactical rifle suggesting the poster (AR-10) has some military background or interest (Interesting Jack Schitt uses some military terms in his posts but that’s just a coincidence I’m sure)

Anyways if you’re ex military or just a fan of Call of Duty you should perhaps be able to survive an accusation of being "Les"

This thread is probably dead now anyways – Fonte has a contract and the window is closed.

Let’s move on and support our captain like he’s supported us for the last 7 years.

AR-10 is a tactical rifle suggesting the poster (AR-10) has some military background or interest (Interesting Jack Schitt uses some military terms in his posts but that’s just a coincidence I’m sure)

Anyways if you’re ex military or just a fan of Call of Duty you should perhaps be able to survive an accusation of being "Les"

This thread is probably dead now anyways – Fonte has a contract and the window is closed.

Let’s move on and support our captain like he’s supported us for the last 7 years.

AR was called out for what I believe he/she is.

If that person can't handle being called a PR plant without any spite etc.

Funny seeing people fawn over their posts

A statement like this from Fonte would have felt more sincere had it come during all the window speculation, as opposed to a day after it.

For me, he clearly wanted the move and why shouldn't he - amazing summer, last shot a big team that probably wont come again and his stock has never been higher. But it didn't happen and so we now him back to full sharpness and playing well for VVD.

Certainly won't be holding anything against him and would suggest that a couple of good games from him and most of the fanbase will be in that camp too

I don't kinow why they are so worried about AR-10 not posting today. The transfer window has closed. He'll be back when Les has any more information or messages he wants him to pass on, as will areasix on the UI.

When Les Dennis is called upon to open a School Fete, it will draw a crowd, some of the crowd will creep and fawn even though it's only f*cking Les Dennis at a School Fete. It's a matter of personal perspective and self-confidence, I suppose.

In fairness there's been plenty of opportunity for Fonte to talk about his commitment to SFC before he went away.

It's all done now and he's stuck with us for at least another season (probably for a while longer as the moment has passed for him now).

He needs to get on with being any good for us on the pitch starting next week.

Pretty much how I see the situation .... still being with us wasn't his number 1 choice.

Even his 1 message, seems pretty much saying how professional he's going to be whilst staying with us, rather than I'm so pleased to be here!!

Pretty poor form from The Team Captain in my mind!!

Hope he's good to his word and that we don't have to go through the whole process again in January.

Pretty much how I see the situation .... still being with us wasn't his number 1 choice.

Even his 1 message, seems pretty much saying how professional he's going to be whilst staying with us, rather than I'm so pleased to be here!!

Pretty poor form from The Team Captain in my mind!!

Hope he's good to his word and that we don't have to go through the whole process again in January.

I see there are still those one here trying to undermine our support for the players and especially the team captain. The Aussie cricketers said they always found it most effective to aim their sledging at the team captain.

FFS, give it a rest, will you?

I see there are still those one here trying to undermine our support for the players and especially the team captain. The Aussie cricketers said they always found it most effective to aim their sledging at the team captain.

FFS, give it a rest, will you?

I'm not trying to undermine anything - just expressing my opinion, and sorry if it doesn't match yours, but his attitude to the club in general has been poor considering he is Team Captain and focal point of the side. He is constantly posting about Portugal, but absolutely nothing except that one terse clarification of the situation, regarding his full time employers SFC. A simple 'Great to be back with the lads and fans again' wouldn't have gone amiss.

I hope that his demeanour is better on the training ground and changing room on Match Days.

For what it's worth, I was pretty gutted when the rumours started and he made no attempt to quash them. I'm glad he is staying, as he is an integral part of the set up both on and off the pitch .. so long as his head isn't elsewhere.

Portugal is his country and he is proud to play for them so late in his career. He explained quite clearly that through the summer he was unable to post anything than that about his country. This may be something from the Portugal camp.

I personally don't think we should read anything any deeper than he played for Portugal, they won the Cup, he was ex static especially to be in the team. He took a holiday with his family. He returned to his birth town to be given the freedom of the town and in turn gave his team shirt to the town hall. He then returned to Saints to be under a new manager.

Quite a lot happened in a few weeks. He is still with us.

He explained quite clearly that through the summer he was unable to post anything than that about his country. This may be something from the Portugal camp.

Which looking at his Instagram stream is absolute ********. Unless Rui Fonte, Nigel Farage and his kid playing on a plastic crocodile are all now Portugal players.