Fonte Transfer Rumours

Master Bates

You just know the big teams will start putting feelers out around nov / dec if our current form continues. Same old ****

We won't sell anyone in January- we haven't done up to now and we won't start in 2017.

VVD off for mega money in the summer? Probably, more than likely. I'm ready for it.

You just know the big teams will start putting feelers out around nov / dec if our current form continues. Same old ****

The club is responsible for that IMHO

While we continue to sell players at ease we will continue to be easy pickings.

Pop up the "closed for business" signs and actually stick to it for a few years and other clubs will stop knocking as frequently

Problem is we seem to be like the high street JD sports with "EVERY THING MUST GO" signs all over the park and Reed meeting all customers with coffee n homemade cakes

We won't sell anyone in January- we haven't done up to now and we won't start in 2017.

VVD off for mega money in the summer? Probably, more than likely. I'm ready for it.

With 5 years left on his contract?:lol:

He's not leaving anytime soon. He will be priced out, it would take Pogba sort of money for us to even consider it.

With 5 years left on his contract?[emoji38]

He's not leaving anytime soon. He will be priced out, it would take Pogba sort of money for us to even consider it.

Except in reality, we will name our price and someone will match it. I fully believe by the end of this season VVD will have been the best cb in the league and there will be plenty of interest in him.

Sent from my D5803 using Tapatalk

Except in reality, we will name our price and someone will match it. I fully believe by the end of this season VVD will have been the best cb in the league and there will be plenty of interest in him.

Exactly. I read "5 year contract" as meaning "higher fee when he leaves".

Exactly. I read "5 year contract" as meaning "higher fee when he leaves".

This and this. What we've done is put us in a great position to get "Pogba" money, but if someone comes forward with £60m then a) we'd take it and b) any club offering that for a CB is a club VVD would want to join.

The five years thing is a red herring. The one thing it absolutely doesn't mean is he's staying for five years.

There will be plenty of interest, we will name our price and no one will come close to it. It will be far above the 50m Stones cost. A key player with 5 years left on his contract playing for a club with a turnover of about 150m and no financial need to sell comes with a price tag no one is willing to pay unless they also have huge marketing value.

Because of the shortage of quality centre backs on the market and his homegrown status Man City were willing to overpay for Stones who had 3 years left, no one came in for Lukaku who also has 3 years left because no one was that desperate. He will go next year.

Assuming he doesn't sign another contract Van Dijk will most likely leave in 2020, 2019 if someone is desperate.

There will be plenty of interest, we will name our price and no one will come close to it. It will be far above the 50m Stones cost. A key player with 5 years left on his contract playing for a club with a turnover of about 150m and no financial need to sell comes with a price tag no one is willing to pay unless they also have huge marketing value.

Because of the shortage of quality centre backs on the market and his homegrown status Man City were willing to overpay for Stones who had 3 years left, no one came in for Lukaku who also has 3 years left because no one was that desperate. He will go next year.

Assuming he doesn't sign another contract Van Dijk will most likely leave in 2020, 2019 if someone is desperate.

Jesus Christ.

I think we will sign a 10mil plus cb this summer then vvd will leave for 60mil plus the year after. The club wont want 2 new cb's starting a season

Sent from my HUAWEI GRA-L09 using Tapatalk

We'll be wanting a replacement for Jose by then too!

It is almost like that poster has not been around in the last couple of years

It's almost like people on here don't realize the only reason we have been selling players in the last two summers has been because the players in question entered the last two years of their contracts making them very expensive to keep. We haven't needed the money since 2014. The cost of keeping a player is the amount we pay in wages plus the decline in how much we get as a transfer fee. This last component is only a factor in the last two years of a player's contract as he get closer to become a free agent. With more than two years left his value to us will be more than his market value pricing him out. Or you can stupidly believe that we sell anything that isn't nailed down, although you will have to explain why we extended his contract on higher wages with absolutely no benefit to us, and why so many players refused to sign new contracts with us over the last 3 years if we get nothing out of it. And before you come up with some bullsh!t about us getting a higher transfer fee, clubs aren't going to pay more for a player with 5 years on their contract than they would for a player with just 3. It will be increasingly difficult to get players off us and other clubs like us because we simply don't need the money from selling players anymore. Our transfer policy is no different to Dortmund's who also sell a lot of players to clubs higher up the food chain but only close to the end of the player's contract. In fact they are even more extreme in forcing players down to the final year or in Lewandowski's case making him see out his contract. We won't go that far but we are not selling key players with more than 2 years left. FFS Ralph explained this, how is it that it all went over your collective heads! And the concept of paragraphs is lost on me:lol:

It's almost like people on here don't realize the only reason we have been selling players in the last two summers has been because the players in question entered the last two years of their contracts making them very expensive to keep. We haven't needed the money since 2014. The cost of keeping a player is the amount we pay in wages plus the decline in how much we get as a transfer fee. This last component is only a factor in the last two years of a player's contract as he get closer to become a free agent. With more than two years left his value to us will be more than his market value pricing him out. Or you can stupidly believe that we sell anything that isn't nailed down, although you will have to explain why we extended his contract on higher wages with absolutely no benefit to us, and why so many players refused to sign new contracts with us over the last 3 years if we get nothing out of it. And before you come up with some bullsh!t about us getting a higher transfer fee, clubs aren't going to pay more for a player with 5 years on their contract than they would for a player with just 3. It will be increasingly difficult to get players off us and other clubs like us because we simply don't need the money from selling players anymore. Our transfer policy is no different to Dortmund's who also sell a lot of players to clubs higher up the food chain but only close to the end of the player's contract. In fact they are even more extreme in forcing players down to the final year or in Lewandowski's case making him see out his contract. We won't go that far but we are not selling key players with more than 2 years left. FFS Ralph explained this, how is it that it all went over your collective heads! And the concept of paragraphs is lost on me[emoji38]

We sold lallana and shaw with about 5 years left on theirs

It's almost like people on here don't realize the only reason we have been selling players in the last two summers has been because the players in question entered the last two years of their contracts making them very expensive to keep. We haven't needed the money since 2014. The cost of keeping a player is the amount we pay in wages plus the decline in how much we get as a transfer fee. This last component is only a factor in the last two years of a player's contract as he get closer to become a free agent. With more than two years left his value to us will be more than his market value pricing him out. Or you can stupidly believe that we sell anything that isn't nailed down, although you will have to explain why we extended his contract on higher wages with absolutely no benefit to us, and why so many players refused to sign new contracts with us over the last 3 years if we get nothing out of it. And before you come up with some bullsh!t about us getting a higher transfer fee, clubs aren't going to pay more for a player with 5 years on their contract than they would for a player with just 3. It will be increasingly difficult to get players off us and other clubs like us because we simply don't need the money from selling players anymore. Our transfer policy is no different to Dortmund's who also sell a lot of players to clubs higher up the food chain but only close to the end of the player's contract. In fact they are even more extreme in forcing players down to the final year or in Lewandowski's case making him see out his contract. We won't go that far but we are not selling key players with more than 2 years left. FFS Ralph explained this, how is it that it all went over your collective heads! And the concept of paragraphs is lost on me:lol:

Oh dear. We will still sell them with 4 or 5 years on the deal, just that we will get more money than if there is only 1 or 2 years left.

Is anyone really sure where the " Man Utd " connection came from ?

Was it a genuine interest on MU's part?....or his agent just trying to boost up his image...and get a better deal?..or was it a total fabrication on some crazy journo's part ?

I think the club was right to stand back and let the dust settle, especially as Jose is still under contract for a while longer but the prospect of giving him a pay rise and an extension may not be so daft when you consider that (at 36) both Gareth Barry and John Terry can still lace up their own boots and DAJF their Prem. clubs.

In time, an eventual (younger) successor will surely emerge, but I can think as long as he retains his form Jose can still give good service to the club in the coming years.

Sadly, I disagree with the posters who feel we will realise Stones-esque money for VVD.

Les has hardly shown he is capable of a good haggle as we seem to bed over to Liverpool et al very easily.

I would love to see us play hard ball a little bit more.

I appreciate moving the want-a-way players early but feel we're helping our rivals a bit too much allowing them to build their squads before they go on their pre-season tours etc.

I'm not having a go at the model, it is what it is and we are who we are. However, being a bit more of a c*nt about it would certainly leave less of a bitter taste.

Maybe I just want to be nasty to Liverpool a bit more ;-)

It annoys the hell out of me that he is expecting a new contract 9 months or so after he signed his last improved one. I don't care what his performance for his national side was, I am looking at his club performance. He has been average this season.

Fonte has been poor this season. VVD immense, as usual. Should build the team around him, make him captain, convince him we have a future as a club with genuine ambition to make the next step. But will probably sell to Spurs for £15m as final straw

I wouldn't be surprised if VVD goes next year but I'd imagine the club would do what they can to stop it. Depends really, if we actually play hard ball ( we didn't really with Mane sadly, I think we could have got closer to £50 million nearer the end of the window) then you are looking upwards of £40-50 million for him in today's market.

My hope would be for him to go out of the league, but you are basically looking at Real Madrid, Barca, PSG or Bayern as they are the only ones that realistically compete transfer fees wise with the Prem clubs.

Would prefer though if we stepped up from being Utds/Liverpools feeder club to being Barca/Madrids.

Thing is we are going to need to replace Fonte pretty soon, he was a lot better on Sunday but has been a bit dodgy so far this season and we don't know how long he'll keep going at this level.

So we won't want to be replacing two centre backs in the same summer.

Our central defensive pairing is the key to our success in recent years and this one. The negative attitude of many of our fans towards Fonte appalls me and it will come as no surprise if he agrees to a move to Man United in January, where he might be better appreciated. Whoever his current defensive partner is, Lovren, Alderweireld or van Dijk, gets all of the credit for our outstanding defence and none of the blame for any errors made, and van Dijk has made some bad ones recently. Stats show that Fone makes fewer errors than just about any central defender in the Premier League and he isn't a Europena champion for nothing.

Many of our fans clearly do not appreciate player loyalty and whoever the latest signing is instantly becomes their favourite player. Fonte deserves to be better appreciated. Perhaps he will be at Old Trafford.

FGS grow up Nordic. That must be the most naive rubbish I have ever read. Fonte won't move because he isn't appreciated by some Saints fans and will find love at United. That is just ridiculous.

So tell me. He signs an improved 3 year contract in October 2015. Do you think it right that the club are held hostage for another one 9 months later? Maybe you think that winning a competition with his national team rather than club that pays him, means he should have an increase at club level?

Do you think that he has played well this season so far?

Our central defensive pairing is the key to our success in recent years and this one. The negative attitude of many of our fans towards Fonte appalls me and it will come as no surprise if he agrees to a move to Man United in January, where he might be better appreciated. Whoever his current defensive partner is, Lovren, Alderweireld or van Dijk, gets all of the credit for our outstanding defence and none of the blame for any errors made, and van Dijk has made some bad ones recently. Stats show that Fone makes fewer errors than just about any central defender in the Premier League and he isn't a Europena champion for nothing.

Many of our fans clearly do not appreciate player loyalty and whoever the latest signing is instantly becomes their favourite player. Fonte deserves to be better appreciated. Perhaps he will be at Old Trafford.

This is well wide of the mark for me. Negative attitude towards Fonte only started with some fans when it became obvious that either he or his agent was pushing for a move to United/peddling supposed interest to get a bigger contract even though he only just signed one.

Coming out a day after the window and declaring his commitment to the club would have no doubt had more impact had he done it before a potential move was closed off.

Prior to that, I'd say the whole fanbase was behind him, full of respect for his ability and achievements, reveling in his rise to ultimately win the Euros, calling him a club legend and wanting him on the banner of the forum. We all know he has been a superb player for us, held the defence together with a host of (albeit very talented) different partners since we returned to the Prem.

But whatever went on behind the scenes, the radio silence from the club and him post Euros was telling that there was a problem which really, must have stemmed from Fonte's camp. Coupled with a few dodgy performances earlier this season as he gets up to fitness, and the criticism is understandable. We expect more on and off the pitch from the captain.

He's far from finished as a player though, a few decent performances down the line, for me I think most will be over it. I know I am already. But he's not getting any younger, we're right to be discussing the need for a replacement and I'm sure the club are too.

It annoys the hell out of me that he is expecting a new contract 9 months or so after he signed his last improved one. I don't care what his performance for his national side was, I am looking at his club performance. He has been average this season.

When he is supposed to be the Senior Pro and Team Captain, not sure he is setting a great example but more than that, Virgil thus far is having to cover a lot of Fontes poor play, and is actually talking him through most of the games which is more the worry for me!

Is anyone really sure where the " Man Utd " connection came from ?

Was it a genuine interest on MU's part?....or his agent just trying to boost up his image...and get a better deal?..or was it a total fabrication on some crazy journo's part ?

my guess is that Fonte's agent tipped off the journalist who could then write the story having got a `reliable' source. My guess might be wrong though.

Imagine you come back to work after the summer as a teamleader of a group and you see all the young colleagues have gotten a hefty payrise. Would you be happy? Its natural human behaviour. And I actually thinks Jose deserves to be one of the top top earners.

Sadly, I disagree with the posters who feel we will realise Stones-esque money for VVD.

Les has hardly shown he is capable of a good haggle as we seem to bed over to Liverpool et al very easily.

I would love to see us play hard ball a little bit more.

I appreciate moving the want-a-way players early but feel we're helping our rivals a bit too much allowing them to build their squads before they go on their pre-season tours etc.

I'm not having a go at the model, it is what it is and we are who we are. However, being a bit more of a c*nt about it would certainly leave less of a bitter taste.

Maybe I just want to be nasty to Liverpool a bit more ;-)

I'm pretty sure the reason we pushed to get the Mane deal in early was because of ffp rules.

The football financial year finishes at the end of June so by getting the deal in by then enabled us to pay significantly higher wages this season under ffp rules which is vital for our growth.

We could probably got a couple of million more for Mane later in the window but it would have been counter productive to the bigger picture. As it happens Les Reed did negotiate a lots of add ons and bonus's on top of the tranfer fee.

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

We shouldn't be held to ransom by fontes wage demands, he is more than well paid enough and only has a couple of years left tops, he had been a good servant to the club but ever since united showed interest he has been nowhere near his best. It is clear he isn't going to sign a new contract so get what we can for him & let VVD be captain he seems to do a good job of it already!

Sent from my Moto G (4) using Tapatalk

"The Mill can inform you that Southampton’s José Fonte has left the door open to switch Europa League clubs. Manchester United were interested in signing him in the summer and that move could be now back on after the Portugal defender said of a new contract at St Mary’s: “There’s nothing on the table, so I’m waiting. I’ll see what happens. I’m just focusing on performing and we’ll see what happens. We haven’t agreed anything, it’s just talks.”"

https://www.theguardian.com/football/2016/sep/28/football-transfer-rumours-manchester-united-jose-fonte

No news here, but keeping the unrest alive.

"The Mill can inform you that Southampton’s José Fonte has left the door open to switch Europa League clubs. Manchester United were interested in signing him in the summer and that move could be now back on after the Portugal defender said of a new contract at St Mary’s: “There’s nothing on the table, so I’m waiting. I’ll see what happens. I’m just focusing on performing and we’ll see what happens. We haven’t agreed anything, it’s just talks.”"

https://www.theguardian.com/football/2016/sep/28/football-transfer-rumours-manchester-united-jose-fonte

Didn't he sign a new one in the last 6 months? We won't be in any rush with his dropping performances.

Imagine you come back to work after the summer as a teamleader of a group and you see all the young colleagues have gotten a hefty payrise. Would you be happy? Its natural human behaviour. And I actually thinks Jose deserves to be one of the top top earners.

Ridiculous analogy as it doesn't factor in his "hefty pay rise" that he agreed to in October.

take the money and let him go.His head and heart are in MANCHESTER

Very sad that his head has been turned but if he is not fully committed to us it will cost us points as the season goes on