Fonte Transfer Rumours

Master Bates

New contract signed by the weekend?

I am reliably informed he has a new three year deal waiting to be signed in his new kitchen, he just hasn't signed it yet. Or something like that. We'd be paying him 2 years' worth of it just in gratitude for what he's done with us so far, it's practically an act of charity giving him that additional year when he's unlikely to remain at his peak til then.

Yeah it's not the fact we will lose players that goes without saying these situations will always happen and totally accept that money is a big consideration it's to me just concerning we sell without replacements in place ,seems to me that is bad management and the % of key players we lose every season.Is that a statement of intent within its self as stated just my opinion

But we didn't sell without replacements being in place. We lost Mane, Pelle, Wanyama, Juanmi, K. Davis, and Stekelenberg. (I am only counting players that mattered and Gazzaniga going out on loan to get playing time is not a loss.) We have replaced the two goalkeepers. The club considers Austin the replacement for Pelle. The club considers Hojbjerg the replacement for Wanyama. I am sure the club considers Redmond and Boufal to be the replacements for Mane and Juanmi--not that Juanmi needed a replacement. The only one who was arguably not in place was Boufal, but we know the club had been going after him for a while. Quite possibly the club was confident the transaction would happen and preferred to watch his recovery from injury progress further before buying him.

As for the percent of key players we lose being too high--you do realize that we are only going to lose key players or ones we don't want at all. That being said out of our best 11 at the end of the season we lost only 2. That doesn't seem so bad.

But we didn't sell without replacements being in place. We lost Mane, Pelle, Wanyama, Juanmi, K. Davis, and Stekelenberg. (I am only counting players that mattered and Gazzaniga going out on loan to get playing time is not a loss.) We have replaced the two goalkeepers. The club considers Austin the replacement for Pelle. The club considers Hojbjerg the replacement for Wanyama. I am sure the club considers Redmond and Boufal to be the replacements for Mane and Juanmi--not that Juanmi needed a replacement. The only one who was arguably not in place was Boufal, but we know the club had been going after him for a while. Quite possibly the club was confident the transaction would happen and preferred to watch his recovery from injury progress further before buying him.

As for the percent of key players we lose being too high--you do realize that we are only going to lose key players or ones we don't want at all. That being said out of our best 11 at the end of the season we lost only 2. That doesn't seem so bad.

Sir. Could I be so bold to ask that you precede such posts with a "### PRAGMATISM KLAXON ###" in future? It would give readers fair warning that they are about to read something unusual and potentially startling on this forum. Thank you kindly.

Edited by trousers

Don't think they ever were. But it worked well to unsettle our captain and key player. Let's hope he's sorted now.

Sent from my D6503 using Tapatalk

Or it worked well to get him a pay rise (assuming that actually happened) thanks to some agent meddling. If it did, I'm not surprised the club have not publicised it, as a big pay rise to a player without any other changes to the structure of the contract is not really something to shout about...

As I and many others on here suggested, the whole thing smacked of stories being fed to the papers to help obtain an extra year on the contract. Pretty standard practice and part of the `game' these days. If the club didn't get a call from United in the last two weeks, then they will have come to the same conclusion, which will perhaps sour the relationship a little between the two parties (club and agent). For once the club held the cards and having offered more cash to keep their employee happy they will expect great things of him over the next 23 months. Lets hope as supporters we see exactly that.

As I and many others on here suggested, the whole thing smacked of stories being fed to the papers to help obtain an extra year on the contract. Pretty standard practice and part of the `game' these days. If the club didn't get a call from United in the last two weeks, then they will have come to the same conclusion, which will perhaps sour the relationship a little between the two parties (club and agent). For once the club held the cards and having offered more cash to keep their employee happy they will expect great things of him over the next 23 months. Lets hope as supporters we see exactly that.

He has a physical three year contract in his possession, which he already had before any of the Man U rumours. He hasn't signed it yet.

For all of saying "we don't have to sell players", look at all the misery, drama and ill will that has occurred with holding steady on Fonte.

Now imagine if we were dealing with it on multiple fronts with Pelle, Wanyama, and Mane. It would be chaos in the clubhouse which would certainly transmit to the play on the pitch.

Unless we can match the wages that Man U, City, Liverpool, Chelsea, China, etc. offer, we will always be losing our best, most talented players to those clubs come summer time.

You would think it would dawn on most of us at this point.

For all of saying "we don't have to sell players", look at all the misery, drama and ill will that has occurred with holding steady on Fonte.

Now imagine if we were dealing with it on multiple fronts with Pelle, Wanyama, and Mane. It would be chaos in the clubhouse which would certainly transmit to the play on the pitch.

Unless we can match the wages that Man U, City, Liverpool, Chelsea, China, etc. offer, we will always be losing our best, most talented players to those clubs come summer time.

You would think it would dawn on most of us at this point.

I think only getting two points in the last 3 games, with player angst, would have been worth it for Mane. Sorry to bang on about it. I still think he should have been the exception to the rule and will prove to be the one that got away. If we were ever going to hold out against player pressure he was the one to do it with, as much as I love Fonte. Still that's done and gone, so I hold hope Boufal can be even better when he gets goin

His demeanor on the pitch and the deathly silence off it, has certainly soured his relationship with me, somewhat. Maybe Mourhino and Jorge Mendes have been playing games but he's a grown man, our leader and is well aware of us fans hurt over players jumping ship.

Not saying he done anything wrong exactly but he's let it get messy. We're owed some stellar performances and a bit of communication from him, to restore the faith.

His demeanor on the pitch and the deathly silence off it, has certainly soured his relationship with me, somewhat. Maybe Mourhino and Jorge Mendes have been playing games but he's a grown man, our leader and is well aware of us fans hurt over players jumping ship.

Not saying he done anything wrong exactly but he's let it get messy. We're owed some stellar performances and a bit of communication from him, to restore the faith.

What do you mean? Some kind of body language stuff? Imagination fueled by the alleged leaving rumours perhaps..?

Seen nothing different to last season personally

What do you mean? Some kind of body language stuff? Imagination fueled by the alleged leaving rumours perhaps..?

Seen nothing different to last season personally

Hehe, you could well be right there !! Perhaps I was a tad harsh.

Personally I don't think he's really looked on his game, particularly the Sunderland one but thinking about it, he's had a pretty full on summer physically and Ibrahimovic and Defoe are tricky customers to deal with. I still like to hear something from him tho' ... anything, if only to tell us how great his euros were and 'bring on the Europa' or something. He's our leader, I want him to engage with us.

Fonte's attitude is the very least of our worries. I doubt you will be thinking about this in two weeks when we get hammered by Arsenal and can't beat Swansea. Perspective Steve, perspective!

Thoroughly agree with you Steve I the thmmie coought he was terrible against Sunderland and far from the committed Jose we're used to. It would have been easy for him to issue a statement. He's been playing the club, the supporters and with no regards for the stress he's be think either way, the club should be preparingen causing. We've not even had a pre or post match interview since he returned.

I think whatever he decides, the club should be preparing for his replacement. What worries me is Les might see Stephen's in that role. We might have a really top class center back planned in the near future. VVD is someone Les will be only too ready to sell if some club come along with the right price.

Couldnt agree more. To me his head is still firmly wrapped up in Portugal's success this summer, its all he seems to message about these days. Dont get me wrong, its understandable, its probably the biggest thing he or many footballers will ever achieve but Jose you are captain of a premier league club, could you give it a bit of attention at some point please ?

Thoroughly agree with you Steve I the thmmie coought he was terrible against Sunderland and far from the committed Jose we're used to. It would have been easy for him to issue a statement. He's been playing the club, the supporters and with no regards for the stress he's be think either way, the club should be preparingen causing. We've not even had a pre or post match interview since he returned.

I think whatever he decides, the club should be preparing for his replacement. What worries me is Les might see Stephen's in that role. We might have a really top class center back planned in the near future. VVD is someone Les will be only too ready to sell if some club come along with the right price.

ART .... I think you're over dramatising my thoughts

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

Can someone please show me quotes from the club/Les which say that they consider such & such a player to be a replacement for such & such a player rather than people's supposition that they are?

Austin is no where near being a like for like replacement for Pelle. We have failed to replace his physical presence, hold up play & ability to play others in with superbly weighted passes or his 10 plus goals a season. People are now starting to see what he brought to the team & why we will miss him this season. Yes I do also remember how frustrating he could be at times. As for replacing Wanyama, as much as I like Romeu, he needs to be getting himself focused for the whole of a match and looking at where potential danger is coming from & snuffing it out just as Victor & Morgan used to do, to be considered a replacement. Hojberg is a more refined ball player than a ball winner unless we are going to attempt to change his game, then he can't be considered a replacement for Wanyama.

Couldnt agree more. To me his head is still firmly wrapped up in Portugal's success this summer, its all he seems to message about these days. Dont get me wrong, its understandable, its probably the biggest thing he or many footballers will ever achieve but Jose you are captain of a premier league club, could you give it a bit of attention at some point please ?

This is what I was getting at ART and Charlie Wayman .... no big drama, just my thoughts.

Thanks for your sanity Beatle

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

Quote from here;

http://metro.co.uk/2016/09/03/jose-fonte-speaks-out-about-failed-manchester-united-transfer-6107619/

But no idea where they got it from? If true then it's a disgraceful thing to say but...something about it seems odd to me. Why would he be speaking only to the Metro? The way it's phrased as well just doesn't sound like the way he speaks. Why would he repeat the question back to them?

‘Now I’m focused on Southampton. I’ve lots of targets: to play in the Champs League, to play in a World Cup, to win a trophy in England.’

sounds like he still very much wants out and no doubt, this will continue in the build up to the transfer window in Jan

Captain....to me you need to be an automatic starter and AFAI can see, we have 3 + Boufal. They would be Forster, VVD and Tadic. Even then Tadic might not be automatic. So that is down to 2 and as I think out field is better than goalie, so that leaves VVD. People might say that Fonte is an automatic starter, but if his head isn't right and he is going to angle for a move, then maybe Yoshi would be better!!! Yikes!!!!

He's only saying what every other player is thinking . There is not one , not one , of our players that wouldn't feel the same if Utd were in for them . FFS it's always been the same . Le Tiss would have left for Spurs had he not been under the thumb . When are people going to realise the only loyalty in football comes from the fans

If that is a genuine quote from him then someone has to strip him of his captaincy.

This was the full quote, so what's the problem?:

'Fonte may well feel he earned his chance to play for a bigger club, but he has refused to be drawn in to discussing that for now.

"Was I disappointed the Man United move didn’t happen? Let’s leave that for another time,’ he said.

‘Now I’m focused on Southampton. I’ve lots of targets: to play in the Champs League, to play in a World Cup, to win a trophy in England."

You are over-reacting.