Fonte Transfer Rumours

Master Bates

He does but its law for every player in portugal to have a release clause in their contract I believe, and they are always ridiculously high. Sporting would probably accept a fair bit less

On 1 September 2016, Fonte signed a three-year contract with Braga .....no release clause for Rui.

Only ridiculously high for the greedy clubs not law just greed as was that with Rojo, his agent and SPorting

On 1 September 2016, Fonte signed a three-year contract with Braga .....no release clause for Rui.

Only ridiculously high for the greedy clubs not law just greed as was that with Rojo, his agent and SPorting

"The greedy clubs". Let's face it if Kat & Les want to sell a player, nothing is going to stand in their way. They'll already be counting the money they're going to get from Man. Utd. whether we like it or not.

Wrong, it's the law, which is why they are generally set at unrealistically high values. It doesn't mean anything, should just be treated as if the player doesn't have one as is usually the case in England.

Nothing greedy about it.

"The greedy clubs". Let's face it if Kat & Les want to sell a player, nothing is going to stand in their way. They'll already be counting the money they're going to get from Man. Utd. whether we like it or not.

More pertinent is that if a player is determined to go it's very difficult to keep them....particularly if there is a big pay increase or signing on fee and that the club will look good on your 'played for' CV.

I'd be very sad to see Jose go - he has been a massive part of the story of the last few years and has been inspirational as a captain and figurehead for the club so to see him leave on a sour note would not be what anyone would want...that being said when agents are involved seeing their own pay day it's unlikely to be that simple. I'd like him to see out his contract on enhanced pay then go to a top club in Portugal to play out his career...not go to another PL club but hey-ho...as long as we do our part as a club to keep him there's not much more to be done.

Wrong, it's the law, which is why they are generally set at unrealistically high values. It doesn't mean anything, should just be treated as if the player doesn't have one as is usually the case in England.

Nothing greedy about it.

Sorry Cartman, there is no law in Portugal regarding this, individuals set price. Check as I said for example Rui Fonte, zero whereas Sporting are setting a high price for Semedo. Incidentally, he looks like he has a low tolerance level.

Hopefully the resurgence of Phil Jones will put the Man U transfer off. By all accounts him and Rojo were men of the match on Sunday (and they're 3rd/4th choice).

You've then got Smalling, Blind and Bailly. To be honest I don't think Man U need Fonte.

Irritatingly it makes a lot of sense for UTD - they have a very young defence and even if he only really plays occasionally it would be useful for the others to have a more experienced defender in the mix. They are also losing Bailly to the AFCON.

It's not that young, Smalling 27, Blind/Rojo 26.

I just think having 6 senior pro CB's (inc Fonte) seems a bit overkill (I know some of them play in different position as well but these are pretty stocked up too). Maybe they're looking to offload one as well, which would make more sense.

If I was Saints I'd offer the 80 grand per week again but with a clause that it will get extended for an extra season if he plays 30 or more games next season. This may placate Fonte.

It's not that young, Smalling 27, Blind/Rojo 26.

I just think having 6 senior pro CB's (inc Fonte) seems a bit overkill (I know some of them play in different position as well but these are pretty stocked up too). Maybe they're looking to offload one as well, which would make more sense.

If I was Saints I'd offer the 80 grand per week again but with a clause that it will get extended for an extra season if he plays 30 or more games next season. This may placate Fonte.

I have heard that we have offered JF more than that. Can't name the source, but someone who would know. We have also offered to extend his deal, from the same source.

If Manchester United want to sign him I can't really blame Jose for wanting to experience playing for one of, if not the world's biggest club (P**pey & Everton not included obv). I just hope he doesn't start trying to dress it up, which appears to be the case at the moment, as the club forcing him out and showing a lack of loyalty through not giving him the contract he wants.

Don't get me wrong, if he wants to stay and spurn all the other clubs, then I don't have as much of a problem with him trying to get a better deal. But would be disappointing for him to turn things sour before jumping ship if that was his intention all along.

I'd bite their arm of for £15m for a 33 ear old, who doesn't want to be here........Means a change from the usual selling to cheaply.

Don't think we've sold many if any to cheaply, yes some of those players are now worth more as they are performing at a higher level ie lallana but others are worth less ie Shaw. Looking at all our sales I think at the point of sale they have been about right. Will be sad to see Fonte go but that is a big wedge of money for a player of his age who could be finished in 12-18 months time it would make him one of the most expensive over 30's in history and most of the others for similar or more were 30 not 33 at the time!

I find all this talk of Fonte to Man Utd laughable, I mean look at the names that Mourinho is supposedly going to be getting rid of....is he really going to replace one of them with the 33 year old Jose Fonte!!? Is he bôllocks, stop being daft. If Fonte leaves it will be a return home to Portugal.

I find all this talk of Fonte to Man Utd laughable, I mean look at the names that Mourinho is supposedly going to be getting rid of....is he really going to replace one of them with the 33 year old Jose Fonte!!? Is he bôllocks, stop being daft. If Fonte leaves it will be a return home to Portugal.

Totally agree with you. However, I think as the family are settled with their life and schools, he would prefer to stay. Also, he may like to go into coaching and maybe through Saints?

Totally agree with you. However, I think as the family are settled with their life and schools, he would prefer to stay. Also, he may like to go into coaching and maybe through Saints?

That was last season's Jose Fonte before Euro 2016 and a new agent got inside his head.

Don't worry, you won't have to pay his wages, Nick. Meanwhile, the rest of us would prefer not to weaken the team any further.

We won't sell without a replacement. Why would our team be weaker? Generally we are pretty good at finding CB's!

Out of interest, does anyone think the club are wrong to not offer Jose an extended contract?

Personally if true that the club have offered him a pay rise (I would imagine to maintain highest paid player as captain) they've done the right thing.

He's 33 next week and he's arguably only got 1 or 2 seasons left in him at this level, the last thing we want or need is someone sat on the bench at c.80k a week for 2 or 3 years.

IMO what Les should be doing is, if this time next year he is still performing at the level required, offer him a 1 year extension. A little like how Chelsea do to players who are 30+.

Out of interest, does anyone think the club are wrong to not offer Jose an extended contract?

Personally if true that the club have offered him a pay rise (I would imagine to maintain highest paid player as captain) they've done the right thing.

He's 33 next week and he's arguably only got 1 or 2 seasons left in him at this level, the last thing we want or need is someone sat on the bench at c.80k a week for 2 or 3 years.

IMO what Les should be doing is, if this time next year he is still performing at the level required, offer him a 1 year extension. A little like how Chelsea do to players who are 30+.

Totally agree. I'm not sure what the club has done wrong but it keeps coming back to the same thing for me, if he hadn't been part of the winning Portugal team in the summer would any of this be happening now ?

I think not.

We gave him a new contract to take him up to 34 I have no idea why Fonte or anyone else would think we need to offer him another one.

Fonte is 3 years younger than Ibrahimovic and one of the fittest players in our squad.

He is also a reigning European champion at the peak of his game. Most top clubs, even Real Madrid, have a centre back in his early 30s. Young centre backs, even expensive ones like Stones, are just too erratic. If Les plans to sell him in January, he'll have several top Premier League clubs making offers, including Man United, where Mourinho would see him filling the role that Terry had at Chelsea. I still don't understand why some Saints fans underrate Fonte so much. He's one of the best central defenders I've ever seen and if we cash in on him in January there goes our watertight defence. Do we really need the money that badly? If so, we should keep him because the number of league places we’re going to drop without him is going to cost us a lot.

The idiots who don’t rate Fonte and want us to sell him are the same idiots who didn’t rate Mane, Wanyama and Pelle and wanted us to sell them too. Right now, owing to the sale of those three, the defensive pairing of Fonte and van Dijk is all that's keeping us from a relegation struggle.

Fonte is 3 years younger than Ibrahimovic and one of the fittest players in our squad.

He is also a reigning European champion at the peak of his game. Most top clubs, even Real Madrid, have a centre back in his early 30s. Young centre backs, even expensive ones like Stones, are just too erratic. If Les plans to sell him in January, he'll have several top Premier League clubs making offers, including Man United, where Mourinho would see him filling the role that Terry had at Chelsea. I still don't understand why some Saints fans underrate Fonte so much. He's one of the best central defenders I've ever seen and if we cash in on him in January there goes our watertight defence. Do we really need the money that badly? If so, we should keep him because the number of league places we’re going to drop without him is going to cost us a lot.

The idiots who don’t rate Fonte and want us to sell him are the same idiots who didn’t rate Mane, Wanyama and Pelle and wanted us to sell them too. Right now, owing to the sale of those three, the defensive pairing of Fonte and van Dijk is all that's keeping us from a relegation struggle.

All this is true, but it is not Saints who want to sell him, the contract offer and extension show that, it is the player, and more probably his agent, would like him to move.

I think Adam Blackmore tweeted there as about 10 minutes of animated conversation between Puel and Fonte on the pitch just before the team was announced. I admit to assuming it was probably a less than friend chat.

There's a little bit on this in the Guardian's match report:

The Southampton manager made six changes from his side’s draw at Stoke City in midweek, with the captain, José Fonte, dropping to the bench. One change was enforced, with Oriol Romeu suspended. Shortly after the teams were released, Puel spent 10 minutes in discussion with Fonte on the pitch, perhaps reiterating his rotation policy that resulted in his captain playing no part in their short-lived Europa League campaign. “I think when I saw him [Fonte] after the game he was very happy for the team and for the club,” said Puel, with the smallest of smirks.

We are 7th in the Premiership and in a semi final for the first time in years. Exactly what is your problem?