Fonte Transfer Rumours

Master Bates

If we have to sell 50-60m worth of players every season then our business model is unsustainable. How all the other mid size teams survive is amazing if this is really the case.

IMO we swallow it time and again, and the club know how to turn the fans against the player by subtly making them seem disloyal. I suspect there are pretty tight non disclosure agreements made whan a player is sold.

We have a superb club and we all are proud of it, but how can we ever have heroes if as soon as you put their name on your shirt they move.

I totally understand that if big clubs come calling then their heads are turned, but if we really do intend to make it bigtime there has to be a time when we draw the line and say, 'youve signed a 6 year contract and so get on with it.' Personally I believe that the long contracts are for the financial benifit of both sides. We can get more money, and the player has security and a bumper pay rise.

We could learn alot from Spurs, they are managing to build a huge new stadium, keep top players without paying crazy wages and are now considered a genuine top 6 side.

When they do sell they typically sell abroad rather than to rivals and if they need to generate funds for incoming players they get top dollar for fringe players - they got £40m this summer for Mason, Chadli, Pritchard and Yedlin

Spurs - big wages, London team, top 4

Everton - crap players apart from Lukaku

Foxes - Just won the league, champions league.

Watford - those players aren't top 6 club players

Payet regrets not leaving....

This. Even if its hard to accept, we are not one of the big boys yet and don't have that appeal to top top players yet. If a big bid comes in for VVD in the summer from say United, City, Barca - he would most likely want to leave and it would be difficult to stop him. We can choose from a pile of cash to continue develop the club or to keep an unmotivated, unsettled player that risk affecting the rest of the squad negatively. That we have sold players for bigger clubs are probably also the reason we are now attracting players that previously wouldn't choose us firsthand (Hojbjerg, Boufal, Mane, Cedric etc)

Personally I want players that wants to be here, have passion for the club, else they can leave (expensive ofc).

It's pretty clear what it is, most of you are just listening to your heart rather than your head. Which is understandable, but perhaps a little in denial?

Saints are basically a victim of our own success and recruitment policy. We are able to find them rough diamonds and smooth them out to their full value, but during that time we reap the rewards from a player we probably couldn't afford if they started their career with Saints at the ability as it ended.

We are still very much that plucky side that came up the divisions and are punching above their weight. Until we break into the top 6, which takes years upon years of success, we won't have that pulling power to keep held of players.

It is just a truth we have to face, even if it is not what the fans like to believe. But really, we should be smitten where we are today and perhaps a section of our fans are becoming a bit too greedy with our relatively recent successes?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It's pretty clear what it is, most of you are just listening to your heart rather than your head. Which is understandable, but perhaps a little in denial?

Saints are basically a victim of our own success and recruitment policy. We are able to find them rough diamonds and smooth them out to their full value, but during that time we reap the rewards from a player we probably couldn't afford if they started their career with Saints at the ability as it ended.

We are still very much that plucky side that came up the divisions and are punching above their weight. Until we break into the top 6, which takes years upon years of success, we won't have that pulling power to keep held of players.

It is just a truth we have to face, even if it is not what the fans like to believe. But really, we should be smitten where we are today and perhaps a section of our fans are becoming a bit too greedy with our relatively recent successes?

Very good post but it really gets my goat that fans put up 'that plucky side that came up the divisions and are punching above their weight.' Why is the 27 years of being in the top division forgotten? We were a major force for years, OK it was not matched by trophies but we were still a major team.

Due to some mismanagment we fell, but that was for a short period of time. We are hardly a Pompey who were in the wilderness for decades and then popped up again before going back to their place in the leagues.

Fonte will go if a decent offer comes in. Something is clearly going on.

We are linked with Wimmer again.

Fonte out, Wimmer in

one thing the club do well, is get the fans onside when a star player is about to leave

The club dont need to get the fans 'on side' as we have seen the behaviour of fonte since season start and his agent stirring it in the media.

Very good post but it really gets my goat that fans put up 'that plucky side that came up the divisions and are punching above their weight.' Why is the 27 years of being in the top division forgotten? We were a major force for years, OK it was not matched by trophies but we were still a major team.

Due to some mismanagment we fell, but that was for a short period of time. We are hardly a Pompey who were in the wilderness for decades and then popped up again before going back to their place in the leagues.

Sorry we were never a major force and struggled to stay up on many occasions as you know, only recently have we got closer to becoming a major force but are now just a side who

is in and around the 7-10th place

Sorry we were never a major force and struggled to stay up on many occasions as you know, only recently have we got closer to becoming a major force but are now just a side who

We finished 10th, 11th, 8th and 12th before dropping out of league for financial reasons

We finished 8th and had a cup final before it went pete tong financially

Spurs have forced there way into top 6 last 7-8 years before that they didnt have a top 6 finish for 15 years

We keep being invited to join the top 6 but so far keep declining and instead sell them our best players

We finished 10th, 11th, 8th and 12th before dropping out of league for financial reasons

Spurs have forced there way into top 6 last 7-8 years before that they didnt have a top 6 finish for 15 years

We keep being invited to join the top 6 but so far keep declining and instead sell them our best players

Didnt make us a major force back then as suggested as we finished low and had several relegation battles during those 27yrs as you well know if you were "supporting" SFC then.

:lol: Who sent us the "invite" you suggest :rolleyes: you are funny

Pretty sure we only had financial problems once we were in the Championship and started chucking money at getting back to the Prem.

I think a realistic aim for us would be to get to where Spurs and maybe Everton were a few seasons ago. We're never going to be in the top group of clubs unless our owners (this one or new ones) start throwing hundreds of millions at players - which I for one wouldn't even want. However, I believe it is possible for us to eventually work our way into a "better than the rest" position, whereby players would leave the likes of Stoke and Crystal Palace to sign for us.

At the moment, we probably do have a bit more pulling power than those clubs for new signings, but not sure their players would see coming to us as a significant step up. A few years ago, players would leave Swansea and Sunderland to join Spurs or Everton, even though those clubs were not in the 'perennial Champions League' bracket.

If we reach that level then we will find it easier to replace our top players. At the moment the main danger is that we are still having to look for diamonds in the rough to replace our brilliant players, which is hard to do without ever getting it wrong and setting our team back a few steps.

:lol:

So how do Spurs keep top players happy and only sell 1 top players every 2-3 years? How have Everton kept players over the years? How have Leicester kept Vardy/Mahrez/Schmeichel? How have Watford kept Deeny and Ighalo happy? WHU and Payet?

Its too easy to say we MUST sell or players will sulk or strike....... there are very few examples of this.

It is called higher wages mate.

Lukaku is apparently rumoured to be signing a £110k week contract too (maybe tabloid rumours)

Spurs wage structure is between 90k and 120k- Kane is on 120, Lloris on 100, Vertonghen on 120, Toby on 90, Eriksen on 90 etc

Leicester now offering similar, with Drinkwater on 80, Musa on 90, Vardy and Mahrez on 100 and others too

Everton have crap players atm (no one really wants them atm, but Stones left cos City are retarded to pay that money and as mentioned above with Lukaku)

Watford- can't believe you mentioned them :lol: is there a link which shows a top club wanted Deeney?

WHU- well they are paying Payet a £125k a week contract.

Our wage structure lies between 50 to 70k, only maybe VVD is on 80k

AND YES, just like you I hate the selling regularly, I will admit, BUT we have been successful so until the year it goes wrong, cut the negative drivel out!!!

Also football has too much money- glad we aren't the club driving wages up.

Edited by nta786

were you around in the early 80's, we were a force and only a whisker away from winning trophies. The heartbreak of Highbury 84 still digs deep inside. Had we won that day there is a probability we would have gone on to be the side that won the cup. We finished runners up to Liverpool for the title amongst other near misses.

were you around in the early 80's, we were a force and only a whisker away from winning trophies. The heartbreak of Highbury 84 still digs deep inside. Had we won that day there is a probability we would have gone on to be the side that won the cup. We finished runners up to Liverpool for the title amongst other near misses.

Yes my first game was at the dell in 69 and do remember but our success was average at best during the majority of those 27 years to be fair and the playing field was closer to level then too

Yes my first game was at the dell in 69 and do remember but our success was average at best during the majority of those 27 years to be fair and the playing field was closer to level then too
well we started going at the same time. I agree we had many years of dogfights but we had our share of being a very respected force, we had European Footballer of the year.

Yes the playing field may have been closer, but if you keep selling the players good enough to make you close the gap can only get wider.

In the last 3 seasons we missed our chance again, a bit more quality and we could have easily been top 3, especially in the season where Chelsea won the league.

well we started going at the same time. I agree we had many years of dogfights but we had our share of being a very respected force, we had European Footballer of the year.

Yes the playing field may have been closer, but if you keep selling the players good enough to make you close the gap can only get wider.

In the last 3 seasons we missed our chance again, a bit more quality and we could have easily been top 3, especially in the season where Chelsea won the league.

We would have had to chuck really silly money at it with no guarantees, look at man city,liverpool and to a lesser extent arsenal and we simply do not have the resources

This season should see out 13th top 8 finish so it's nothing particularly unusual. I think our average finishing position in our 40 years in the top flight is 11th. This season will also see our 14th major cup semi-final, again not so unusual. What is unusual compared to other clubs which get crowds of our size, is the lack of trophies. We have massively underachieved in terms of trophies won, even compared to Portsmouth, which is a smaller club. Maybe we've just been unlucky but it's nothing to do with being small and unable to compete. That is just defeatist talk from same fans who come out with the 'we should know our place' line and be ever so 'umble, perhaps so they don't feel disappointed again when we fall at the final hurdle. Maybe the lack of expectation from our fans and club owners is one factor in why we have underachieved.

Go on then, tell me, how do you keep hold of these 'good' players, if they want to move to a bigger club, for more money, in an age where contracts mean nothing. People keep banging on about how we should have held onto these players, but truth is, we couldn't then, and won't be able to in the future. The playing field is no longer level, the top clubs have made sure of that, and we just can't compete with the silly money being thrown around. I suggest you, and others accept our club for what is has achieved, or go support a 'glory' club.

Watford- can't believe you mentioned them :lol: is there a link which shows a top club wanted Deeney?

Current premier league winners wanted Deeney - Watford turn down £25m https://www.google.co.uk/amp/www.independent.co.uk/sport/football/transfers/leicester-city-transfer-news-watford-turn-down-25m-for-troy-deeney-as-luis-hernandez-signs-on-four-a7094841.html%3Famp?client=ms-android-samsung

Watford declined and signed Deeney to a new contract http://www.skysports.com/football/news/11686/10330724/troy-deeney-signs-new-five-year-contract-to-stay-at-watford

We were never a major force.

And "our weight" is anywhere from mid table Prem to mid-table Championship, the same as lots of clubs from WBA, Leicester and Derby to Sheffield Wednesday and Sunderland. At the minute we're punching at the top end of that, while other clubs are in the middle of that range (Sunderland) or at the bottom of it (Forest, Sheffield United).

You can build your total delusion based on no more than a five year period in the 1980s (really, two seasons) and pretend that represents our true level but it doesn't. All the other seasons - year after year after year - do represent us. Funny that.

Pretty sure we only had financial problems once we were in the Championship and started chucking money at getting back to the Prem.

I always thought it was to do with Rupert Lowe securing the cost of SMS against future TV revenues. Relegation was indeed the problem, but not necessarily because we were throwing unreasonable amounts of money at it to get back in the top flight. In fact in the season immediately following our transfers out (mainly from Crouch and Theo) amounted to just short of £15M while we spent just over £2M on Raziak and Fuller. The following two seasons we operated around a £6M transfer surplus by which time everyone worth selling had been sold and the costs of servicing the stadium debt without Prem TV revenues caught up with us. Cue administration and Markus Liebherr.

And "our weight" is anywhere from mid table Prem to mid-table Championship, the same as lots of clubs from WBA, Leicester and Derby to Sheffield Wednesday and Sunderland. At the minute we're punching at the top end of that, while other clubs are in the middle of that range (Sunderland) or at the bottom of it (Forest, Sheffield United).

You can build your total delusion based on no more than a five year period in the 1980s (really, two seasons) and pretend that represents our true level but it doesn't. All the other seasons - year after year after year - do represent us. Funny that.

This is all true and fair but does not mean we can't have ambition to be better, more consistent, a 'force'. The top 5 are very difficult to budge, however, for all sorts of reasons, most of them money related.

This is all true and fair but does not mean we can't have ambition to be better, more consistent, a 'force'. The top 5 are very difficult to budge, however, for all sorts of reasons, most of them money related.

We have got ambition to do that, Les Reed has said it time and again, but we'll do it our way, which being that we have finished 8th, 7th, 6th and on track for a decent top half finish again and a cup semi final, it seems to be working just fine.

We finished 6th last season and are currently 7th. I think that really answers you're above musing.

Go on then, tell me, how do you keep hold of these 'good' players, if they want to move to a bigger club, for more money, in an age where contracts mean nothing. People keep banging on about how we should have held onto these players, but truth is, we couldn't then, and won't be able to in the future. The playing field is no longer level, the top clubs have made sure of that, and we just can't compete with the silly money being thrown around. I suggest you, and others accept our club for what is has achieved, or go support a 'glory' club.
It all depends on the wording of the contract of course. Perhaps the fans want to keep the players more than the club, whose policy is not to get the player to adhere and stick to the contract but just use it to get higher fees. You may gain much pride in paying top dollar bankrolling to see our players developed and then sold so that they can go on and win trophies and get true success. Yes we get patronising fans of other clubs telling me how fantastic it is that we find these players, but really they dont give a toss they just want to see our ex-players taking them onto better things as they chase the real goals. I wish i could support a glory club but i was born in Southampton and its my club, it doesnt stop me from realising how foolish loyalty is as the employees of the club show none of it.

It all depends on the wording of the contract of course. Perhaps the fans want to keep the players more than the club, whose policy is not to get the player to adhere and stick to the contract but just use it to get higher fees. You may gain much pride in paying top dollar bankrolling to see our players developed and then sold so that they can go on and win trophies and get true success. Yes we get patronising fans of other clubs telling me how fantastic it is that we find these players, but really they dont give a toss they just want to see our ex-players taking them onto better things as they chase the real goals. I wish i could support a glory club but i was born in Southampton and its my club, it doesnt stop me from realising how foolish loyalty is as the employees of the club show none of it.

Of course we want to keep these players, but alas, we will never be a 'big' club, so those players will always want bigger and better. I left a good job, to go for the money, wished I'd stayed where I was, as I'm sure, some players wish they had stayed as well.

If you are going to do this sort of thing CB. Can you please use the patented Glasgow saint club ranking system so we can all understand where our club stands. Cheers

Have you even remotely considered that as they are both Dutch internationals they might be mates? Is VVD allowed to have friends outside of SFC or has evil Uncle Les banned that? Do you have friends who work for other companies but perhaps within the same sector as you? Stop reading into things when there is nothing to read into.

Did you even bother looking at what my post was aimed at, Fonte congratulating that a$$hole Lovren, nothing to do with VVD.

And actually no I dont agree players (VVD) should be congratulating Liverpool, one of our league rivals, especially as we play them soon in January and I hate them.

Of course we want to keep these players, but alas, we will never be a 'big' club, so those players will always want bigger and better. I left a good job, to go for the money, wished I'd stayed where I was, as I'm sure, some players wish they had stayed as well.
I suspect your former coleagues were happy as well lol

Only teasing

Fonte knows full well how Lovren is regarded by Saints fans, so for him to come out publicly with all this backslapping ("my brother"..FFS) suggests/confirms that he's trying to engineer a move.

Shame it's ending like this, ta for the memories.

Quite a leap of imagination to assume he's off based on nothing more than the fact he respects Lovren.

He can 'engineer' all he wants, Saints hold all the aces on this one. Unlike our other departures we would be quite content to let him see out the rest of his contract and leave on a Bosman. There's nothing he can do to force a move.

Fonte knows full well how Lovren is regarded by Saints fans, so for him to come out publicly with all this backslapping ("my brother"..FFS) suggests/confirms that he's trying to engineer a move.

Shame it's ending like this, ta for the memories.

How on earth would being friendly with Lovren help him engineer a move? It wouldn't and doesn't - he's been describing Lovren as his brother since before he left. In fact, I seem to recall a tribute post when he scored his first Liverpool goal, or something like that. No one thought he was trying to move then.

They're friends. It's incredibly childish to think the feelings of some bitter Saints fans take precedence.

I'll be surprised if United are actually interest in Fonte. If they wanted him they'd have signed him in the summer. There's no real reason to wait until January or next summer as signing him next year on a 3 year contract just doesn't make a whole load of sense. He's not Ibrahimovic who will make the money back instantly with shirt sales. I think the link is convenient for United whilst they try and sign someone else. It's convenient for Fonte as he's not being offered an extended contract which I imagine he wants and the agent (an agent closely linked to United btw) because his player is in the news and might force either us or another club to offer get him money. The pay rise probably didn't profit the agent massively but a new contract with either us or someone else does.

He wont be interested in Everton as it's a step down and he wants the European football at least (hence he's ****ed off not playing) but a nice link to United might interest bigger clubs through association. Wouldn't be surprised if he ends up at Benfica to replace the Swedish guy going to united, as everyone (and most importantly the agent) wins all round there.

I just dont see the United interest being legit, it's a convenient link but if they wanted him it's not a hard deal to do, a double figure bid would do it easy enough and there's no logic to waiting until January or next summer to do it.

Wouldn't be surprised if he ends up at Benfica to replace the Swedish guy going to united, as everyone (and most importantly the agent) wins all round there.

/QUOTE]

Lindelöf earns around 160k at Benfica (a year!). Maybe Fonte would earn a bit more but nothing remotely close to what he gets at saints. He will go back to Portugal when he has no other options here i think.

How on earth would being friendly with Lovren help him engineer a move? It wouldn't and doesn't - he's been describing Lovren as his brother since before he left. In fact, I seem to recall a tribute post when he scored his first Liverpool goal, or something like that. No one thought he was trying to move then.

They're friends. It's incredibly childish to think the feelings of some bitter Saints fans take precedence.

Oh... Ok then, I stand corrected and will stand in the corner for my incredible childishness.

I wasn't singling you out for that. But why would someone let the way they interact with friends be dictated by football fans who are still angry about a transfer from several years ago? It's not like he's showering him with praise two days before the semi-final.

I wasn't singling you out for that. But why would someone let the way they interact with friends be dictated by football fans who are still angry about a transfer from several years ago? It's not like he's showering him with praise two days before the semi-final.[/quote

That's fair enough Duncan, i wasn't aware that there was previous banter between them. Still feel that he wants out mind..

I'll be surprised if United are actually interest in Fonte. If they wanted him they'd have signed him in the summer. There's no real reason to wait until January or next summer as signing him next year on a 3 year contract just doesn't make a whole load of sense. He's not Ibrahimovic who will make the money back instantly with shirt sales. I think the link is convenient for United whilst they try and sign someone else. It's convenient for Fonte as he's not being offered an extended contract which I imagine he wants and the agent (an agent closely linked to United btw) because his player is in the news and might force either us or another club to offer get him money. The pay rise probably didn't profit the agent massively but a new contract with either us or someone else does.

He wont be interested in Everton as it's a step down and he wants the European football at least (hence he's ****ed off not playing) but a nice link to United might interest bigger clubs through association. Wouldn't be surprised if he ends up at Benfica to replace the Swedish guy going to united, as everyone (and most importantly the agent) wins all round there.

I just dont see the United interest being legit, it's a convenient link but if they wanted him it's not a hard deal to do, a double figure bid would do it easy enough and there's no logic to waiting until January or next summer to do it.

I'm with you. Paper talk initiated by agent to help get an extra year on his contract. Bloody obvious and the club didn't buy it either. Good for them. For once they have a player tied to a contract that is the absolute perfect length for the club, not the player. The club for once holds the cards. They do not need to do anything and shouldn't. Pay players on what they can do for the club in the future not what they might have done in the past. No room for sentiment. I do not want the club to be paying Fonte 100k a week when is is 35.