Fonte Transfer Rumours

Master Bates

I'm sure this is covered already but seems Man U have opened talks with Benfica CB Victor Lindelof which must make a move for Fonte even more unlikely.

I expect Everton will be lurking with their Arab money, and Koeman will want to be seen to spend it.

I think so yes, if he leaves it'll be to go home.

That would be more palatable, and if he went to Benfica then I wouldn't begrudge him the move.

Just very strange that a grown bloke who seemed to have his feet on the ground, and seemed content with things at SFC can have his head easily turned by his international success and a new agent.

I'm out on Wednesday with friends who work at Stoke and both City & Utd. They usually are pretty clued as to whats happening, they are the ones who told me about the Shaw and Morgan deals a few weeks in advance so I'll ask what they know. I'm interested to know if they've heard anything about Berihino.

Why would anyone want to sign Berahino? Since 2010 he's managed 105 appearances, 23 goals. And he's disruptive.

I'm really sad to see what has happened with Jose this season. Obviously he's still putting in the effort on the pitch, no question about that. He always has done and he's the kind of pro who you would expect to give nothing more than 100% to his team.

But I've followed his Facebook page over the past couple of years and undoubtedly this season something has changed. You still get the positive posts about the club, but he's previously been all over the #wemarchon stuff. Not so much the case any more.

It's sad because he's been a great, great player for us. I don't know whether he's just impatient to win more now that he's had a taste of success and doesn't feel that's likely in the short-term with us, or if there's something else that has happened.

Why would anyone want to sign Berahino? Since 2010 he's managed 105 appearances, 23 goals. And he's disruptive.

Stoke have gone all out for him, we enquired as to his availability, Spurs had a very cheap offer rejected as did WHU.

He's an excellent player totally unsuited to a Pulis team who, after being denied a transfer by WBA, told the club he'd run down his contract and go on a free.

Also, if you speak to those who know him or have dealt with him, he's a perfectly fine chap but one that won't be pushed around by his club.

Stoke have gone all out for him, we enquired as to his availability, Spurs had a very cheap offer rejected as did WHU.

He's an excellent player totally unsuited to a Pulis team who, after being denied a transfer by WBA, told the club he'd run down his contract and go on a free.

Also, if you speak to those who know him or have dealt with him, he's a perfectly fine chap but one that won't be pushed around by his club.

can see this one happening and would be delighted

Dejan has been telling the media that Liverpool are about to sign José. Can't believe we'd sell him to that Scum even if Les would jump at any offers.

No he hasn't, you are jumping to conclusions (again!!!)

What he actually said was...

FB_IMG_1482237693095.thumb.jpg.d26b1f76d7df151e4503fb330987fcee.jpg

How does anyone get "Liverpool are about to sign José" from that? Could just be two mates looking forward to see each other in a few weeks at a cup semi final.

I'm really sad to see what has happened with Jose this season. Obviously he's still putting in the effort on the pitch, no question about that. He always has done and he's the kind of pro who you would expect to give nothing more than 100% to his team.

But I've followed his Facebook page over the past couple of years and undoubtedly this season something has changed. You still get the positive posts about the club, but he's previously been all over the #wemarchon stuff. Not so much the case any more.

It's sad because he's been a great, great player for us. I don't know whether he's just impatient to win more now that he's had a taste of success and doesn't feel that's likely in the short-term with us, or if there's something else that has happened.

He just wants one last big contract. He has spent most of his career in the lower leagues not earning enormous (relatively speaking) money and he's therefore trying to secure the big pay day for his family. I don't blame him for it and I don't blame the club for saying no. He'll go somewhere for 5/6 million either in January or the summer and we will replace him

Can't see either CB leaving unless we had someone already there to replace them. Gardos maybe was Fonte's replacement? Speculation obviously but due to injury and that I cannot see us losing a CB as we'd only have 2 first teamers fit and available. Only other solutions (longer term) are McCarthy, Jones and Stephens. Still wouldn't trust them at the minute though. Only way is if Fonte goes in summer and we buy a replacement in January.

I'm not too worried, as long as we don't lose VVD within the same window (or within 12 months tbh).

I'd sit him on the bench, see how he reflects on things.

Btw, Yoshida has been terrific this season. The errors we were used to seem to have been exorcised. I'd be okay with him being a starting XI CB now.

Personally I think Fonte has let his ego get to big for him after the amazing events of the summer lifting silverware alongside Cristiano Ronaldo. He's showing the signs of being greedy and thinking he can do better than Saints. I won't be too bothered if he leaves but would rather not see him at Liverpool, despise everything about that club / city / fan base and our reputation as a feeder club for them is getting ridiculous.

People wetting their knickers over the Mirrors interpretation of a tweet between two footballers who happen to be facing each other in a two legged semi-final in the near future......sigh :rolleyes:

Yep its a good job this site does have atmospheric aromas, the smell of pi** would be overwhelming ;)

Would be great to laugh and instantly dismiss these things - but the reality is EVERYTHING IS FOR SALE at this club and the club appears to have little appetite in holding onto good players.

This club is run as a business and the priorities are £ profit way way above success - sad for us fans but true

Why is he publicly congratulating that ***t / Liverpool knowing we hate him.

Remember who pays your wages.

Have you even remotely considered that as they are both Dutch internationals they might be mates? Is VVD allowed to have friends outside of SFC or has evil Uncle Les banned that? Do you have friends who work for other companies but perhaps within the same sector as you? Stop reading into things when there is nothing to read into.

Would be great to laugh and instantly dismiss these things - but the reality is EVERYTHING IS FOR SALE at this club and the club appears to have little appetite in holding onto good players.

This club is run as a business and the priorities are £ profit way way above success - sad for us fans but true

There are many bad examples when clubs trying to hold onto good players that don't want to be at their club or running down contracts... #wanyama #berahino #Austin #Ings

I'm glad this club is run like a business. It's the foundation of the success we have had. Shame you can't see it and appreciate it and instead keep on complaining about everything about this club.

There are many bad examples when clubs trying to hold onto good players that don't want to be at their club or running down contracts... #wanyama #berahino #Austin #Ings

I'm glad this club is run like a business. It's the foundation of the success we have had. Shame you can't see it and appreciate it and instead keep on complaining about everything about this club.

Unless he is a complete retard of course he can see it. He just enjoys baiting people with his posts. he throws in the odd post if we score or play well to give him some cover from his tired old routine as evidence that he is a saints fan.

bigstock-Keeping-A-Tally-25944141-1024x768.jpg

So how do Spurs keep top players happy and only sell 1 top players every 2-3 years? How have Everton kept players over the years? How have Leicester kept Vardy/Mahrez/Schmeichel? How have Watford kept Deeny and Ighalo happy? WHU and Payet?

Its too easy to say we MUST sell or players will sulk or strike....... there are very few examples of this.

I'm not too worried, as long as we don't lose VVD within the same window (or within 12 months tbh).

I'd sit him on the bench, see how he reflects on things.

Btw, Yoshida has been terrific this season. The errors we were used to seem to have been exorcised. I'd be okay with him being a starting XI CB now.

People forget Yosh was only 24 when he joined us. Now 28 he is getting to a prime age for a central defender. He's good in the air, and has pace, age and increasing experience on his side. His current contract take him to 2018, and I for one wouldn't be surprised to see an improved contract soon.

In the past he has, by and large, only come in for the occasional game, and suffered because of that. I like Puel's philosophy of keeping these "fringe" players rotated so that they are ready when called upon. I think we'll see the benefits later in the season.

Spurs - big wages, London team, top 4

Everton - crap players apart from Lukaku

Foxes - Just won the league, champions league.

Watford - those players aren't top 6 club players

Payet regrets not leaving....

Spurs - Modric, Bale, Sherringham and loads more I suspect

Everton - Rooney, Lescot, Felaini and loads more I suspect.

Basically, when a bigger club comes calling, they go.

Apart from that, our model has explicitly been to buy young talent, develop them for 2/3 years, sell at a profit and re-invest the funds in improving the whole club over a period of time to where we can compete for Europe on a regular basis. Why is this so difficult for some to understand??

Basically, when a bigger club comes calling, they go.

Apart from that, our model has explicitly been to buy young talent, develop them for 2/3 years, sell at a profit and re-invest the funds in improving the whole club over a period of time to where we can compete for Europe on a regular basis. Why is this so difficult for some to understand??

they are sold over many seasons. we shed a whole team in 2 years

VICTOR Lindelof is set to be a Manchester United player in January after Jose Mourinho secured his £42million capture.

The centre-back, 22, was targeted by Mourinho after catching the eye at the Portuguese manager’s former club Benfica.

In The Sun online just now. Poor Jose.

Spurs - big wages, London team, top 4

Everton - crap players apart from Lukaku

Foxes - Just won the league, champions league.

Watford - those players aren't top 6 club players

Payet regrets not leaving....

I wonder if Watford wish they'd taken the £37.5m for Ighalo?

Modric - 2012

Bale - 2013

Sheringham - 1997

Rooney - 2004

Lescot - 2009

ALOT has changed in the last few years. Clubs receiving 120-200 million from TV ((per season)) for a start.

We DONT have to sell players EVERY year anymore to "improve the whole club" crazy as it sounds but we get millions from TV, gates, commercial income. Some fans seem to think the only source of income is player sales

Plus buying > developing > selling is all good if it worked 100% oif the time. It doesnt - see post 4 http://www.saintsweb.co.uk/showthread.php?57569-Saints-recruitment-success-a-myth&highlight=myth

Modric - 2012

Bale - 2013

Sheringham - 1997

Rooney - 2004

Lescot - 2009

ALOT has changed in the last few years. Clubs receiving 120-200 million from TV ((per season)) for a start.

We DONT have to sell players EVERY year anymore to "improve the whole club" crazy as it sounds but we get millions from TV, gates, commercial income. Some fans seem to think the only source of income is player sales

Plus buying > developing > selling is all good if it worked 100% oif the time. It doesnt - see post 4 http://www.saintsweb.co.uk/showthread.php?57569-Saints-recruitment-success-a-myth&highlight=myth

Post 4 - has Boufal on it. You are just a blithering idiot.... but I know you are on a wind up and you shouldn't be allowed to post really. It would be good to know what the site does with our fivers as they sure as hell don't moderate.

Post 4 - has Boufal on it. You are just a blithering idiot.... but I know you are on a wind up and you shouldn't be allowed to post really. It would be good to know what the site does with our fivers as they sure as hell don't moderate.

Should he really be banned for having a different opinion to you/others?

To an extent I agree with him. It drives me mad knowing after 1 or 2 good seasons they'll be sold. I understand this is our business plan, but doesn't mean I don't get frustrated with it.

I bet Leicesters' owners are sweating this year. Winning the PL meant they had to up the deals to keep their players which they broadly did. Now they are closer to relegation that Europe. Imagine the fallout of paying all those players huge wages then getting relegated ! Could be catastrophic.

Modric - 2012

Bale - 2013

Sheringham - 1997

Rooney - 2004

Lescot - 2009

If we have to sell 50-60m worth of players every season then our business model is unsustainable. How all the other mid size teams survive is amazing if this is really the case.

IMO we swallow it time and again, and the club know how to turn the fans against the player by subtly making them seem disloyal. I suspect there are pretty tight non disclosure agreements made whan a player is sold.

We have a superb club and we all are proud of it, but how can we ever have heroes if as soon as you put their name on your shirt they move.

I totally understand that if big clubs come calling then their heads are turned, but if we really do intend to make it bigtime there has to be a time when we draw the line and say, 'youve signed a 6 year contract and so get on with it.' Personally I believe that the long contracts are for the financial benifit of both sides. We can get more money, and the player has security and a bumper pay rise.

I bet Leicesters' owners are sweating this year. Winning the PL meant they had to up the deals to keep their players which they broadly did. Now they are closer to relegation that Europe. Imagine the fallout of paying all those players huge wages then getting relegated ! Could be catastrophic.

yeah uping Vardy's wages to a 100k a week to get him to stay probably doesn't seem such a good idea with hindsight..