Man UTD build up thread

Yorkshire Saint

An ellipsis usually has three dots, but regardless, wasn't this a build up thread for the Man Utd match at some point?

Any time everyone would like to wander back towards the original topic ...

I'm actually really looking forward to this. Have we ever managed three wins on the bounce at Old Trafford before?

Correct. I threw in the extra dot to see if people were paying attention!

;)

Fair enough, we have a different opinion on this. Yes, I am a stickler, I suppose. It's just the way I approach my writing. So, yes, it is important to me. Sad, eh? ;)

But it's a bit over-the-top to say that I'm being defamatory, isn't it?

No offence taken. I am a professional sub-editor too. Oh the shame!

Still, I hope Radical has a game on Friday!

You could file this under 'he would say that, wouldn't he' - but I liked it anyway.

https://www.premierleague.com/news/74195

1-1 (Redmond)

I don't think there's any particular reason Thierry Henry would tell people Claude Puel was inspirational if he didn't want to, it's not like you even have to LIKE your teammates, never mind massively big them up for no apparent reason.

Adam Blackmore ‏@bigadamsport

#Saintsfc boss Claude Puel just told me there is a "good chance" Jose Fonte will play v #mufc - but Ryan Bertrand still out

Raises our chance of winning by 5%, it's now at 6%.

Adam Blackmore ‏@bigadamsport

#Saintsfc boss Claude Puel just told me there is a "good chance" Jose Fonte will play v #mufc - but Ryan Bertrand still out

Has anything been said about what Bertrand's injury actually is? All seems very quiet, no mention of timescales or what he's done.

(Not actually listened to the interview, so apologies if Puel has mentioned anything)

Has anything been said about what Bertrand's injury actually is? All seems very quiet, no mention of timescales or what he's done.

(Not actually listened to the interview, so apologies if Puel has mentioned anything)

No, but he said a "little injury" which has "stopped him training all week".

don't think it's that serious, puel said before there was a chance he could play against united

Although I was really interested what CP was gonna say on the press conference, and I've even plugged in earphones trying to decipher some of the statements, but after a while I simply gave up. Don't get me wrong, I'm multilingual as well, and English is my second language, so I do have a sincere appreciation for his efforts, however I really don't understand why he bothers (at least at this stage), after all there is a translator present...

Sent from my ONE A2005 using Tapatalk

Although I was really interested what CP was gonna say on the press conference, and I've even plugged in earphones trying to decipher some of the statements, but after a while I simply gave up. Don't get me wrong, I'm multilingual as well, and English is my second language, so I do have a sincere appreciation for his efforts, however I really don't understand why he bothers (at least at this stage), after all there is a translator present...

I did the same - it's pretty challenging to stick with him when his answers take so long. I feel for the guy as he's doing his best to tackle the language and I think that's admirable, but it does mean his answers are fairly basic.

Personally I was always pleased that Pochettino stuck with the interpreter for this exact reason. Answers in prezzers are never particularly insightful even when they're in english!

Hmm, seems to have had this little injury for the majority of pre-season too.

As a member of the England squad at the Euros, the first game he might have been involved with was against Espanyol all of two weeks ago. Hardly the "majority of pre-season" when some were back training 6 weeks ago.

Forster only played against Espanyol for a half and is a keeper who unlike Bertrand (90 minutes against Slovakia on 20th June) didn't play in the Euros and hadn't played since 27th May.

Arguably he's missed 1½ pre-season games and the opener, over a period of two weeks. Not really a concern.

He did however, have an injury before the Euros (reported on 7 June before playing 90 minutes on 20th): http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-3628975/England-defender-Ryan-Bertrand-major-doubt-Euro-2016-opener-against-Russia.html

AND he was injured with England in March: http://www.dailyecho.co.uk/sport/14382978.Injured_Bertrand_out_of_England_squad/?ref=rss

So he might have one of those niggling things that comes and goes which players often play through until they can't.

I did the same - it's pretty challenging to stick with him when his answers take so long. I feel for the guy as he's doing his best to tackle the language and I think that's admirable, but it does mean his answers are fairly basic.

Personally I was always pleased that Pochettino stuck with the interpreter for this exact reason. Answers in prezzers are never particularly insightful even when they're in english!

I haven't even attempted to listen to him after the zzz factor of the first interview he did, had a conversation to this effect with a friend on the weekend too. Can't say it bothers me as I have no interest in the endless speculation that surrounds football any more, only the facts.

As a member of the England squad at the Euros, the first game he might have been involved with was against Espanyol all of two weeks ago. Hardly the "majority of pre-season" when some were back training 6 weeks ago.

Forster only played against Espanyol for a half and is a keeper who unlike Bertrand (90 minutes against Slovakia on 20th June) didn't play in the Euros and hadn't played since 27th May.

Arguably he's missed 1½ pre-season games and the opener, over a period of two weeks. Not really a concern.

Apologies, maybe I should have put "the majority of pre-season he was available for."

For someone who had a chance to play against Utd according to the manager, to then not train all week is a bit concerning. Just hope it's not linked to the knee surgeries he had last year.

Alternatively, I could be looking into it far too much and he'll be back against Sunderland! Just keen to see him back in this formation, to see if it improves us going forward.

I am the only one that doesn't have a problem with Puel, his English or his accent then? Probably because I didn't go into it already judging him, angry about him or expecting it to be perfect. Also I read the stuff about him being a bore in his interviews and completely different behind the scenes from anyone who told us about him when he joined.

I think he's generally just a quiet shy guy, and having a camera stuck in his face isn't really his forte. Some managers are all for the camera and are ''hollywood' as sky would put it, but some are much more reserved and quiet. I don't particulary think he's a dour or boring person, just shy and reserved in front of millions of people.

I am the only one that doesn't have a problem with Puel, his English or his accent then? Probably because I didn't go into it already judging him, angry about him or expecting it to be perfect. Also I read the stuff about him being a bore in his interviews and completely different behind the scenes from anyone who told us about him when he joined.

No mate your not, we just have some utter d icks on here...

My problem is that I am a little hard of hearing and can't actually hear what he says. Not the accent (when I can hear). Having lived in France for a number of years, I speak/spoke to French people in both English and French with their varying accents without problems (and only ever had problems when they were drunk and slipped into Basque).

Had to use the CC button on that, and I think that the auto computer bit couldn't quite understand Claude's accent.

"On the beach" for "on the pitch", "20 season" for "training session" and "4 4 master" for "for, for Manchester". Not to mention "godfather" for "Watford"! :D

And unfortunately, yeah, I can't be arsed to concentrate on what he might be saying AND then try and think about the context of the response, I just spend my whole time trying to decipher what he's said so I'm not actually registering any of it.

It's kinda like spoken TXT speak, by the time you've worked out what is meant, you've forgotten what the purpose of it was.

Either way, football has too much empty talking generally, so it doesn't really bother me.

Edited by The9

I think he's generally just a quiet shy guy, and having a camera stuck in his face isn't really his forte. Some managers are all for the camera and are ''hollywood' as sky would put it, but some are much more reserved and quiet. I don't particulary think he's a dour or boring person, just shy and reserved in front of millions of people.

Quite so. And, lest we forget, he is speaking in a language which is not his first. As somebody who speaks French fluently and has lived in France for some years, I know how tiring it can be, at first, to think, process information and speak in somebody else's language. You are constantly focussing on conveying meaning - not emotion - and on avoiding mistakes. I remember too that an esteemed French football journalist wrote at the time of CP's appointment that he was not a media person and did not do well in front of the cameras but that this was at complete variance with the enthusiastic, passionate man you see on the training pitch and touchlines. I for one am quite happy to have a manager who does his talking on and around the pitch.

My problem is that I am a little hard of hearing and can't actually hear what he says. Not the accent (when I can hear). Having lived in France for a number of years, I speak/spoke to French people in both English and French with their varying accents without problems (and only ever had problems when they were drunk and slipped into a Basque).

Those French woman hey...

My wife who speaks French and has worked in translation/interpreting for a long time overheard the press conference as I was listening to it today, and also said that the translator was pretty bad at his job. Which is probably making things even more difficult for Puel.

I can confirm. When Claude was asking him to translate some of his words in english, it was all over the place, he did not get one single translation was right. I wounder where they get these people from.

Fonte or Yoshida will make a big difference. Don't fancy Maya up against Zlatan. I'd go for:

----------Forster----------

Pied--Fonte--VVD--Targett

----------Romeu----------

---Højbjerg------Davis---

-----------Tadic-----------

-----Redmond--Long-----

Perhaps harsh on Cedric but thought he was pretty poor on Saturday.

Nope I'm with you. Couldn't care less if he comes across as dull, boring or whatever.

Sadly this place will always have a section of goons who find that a good enough reason to dislike him from the off.

Im already fed up with this game and it hasn´t even been played yet...In Swedish media it´s Zlatan this Zlatan that so please just play the bloody game so at least the media can focus on the Next Zlatan - not Man U - game....

The coverage starts at 6.30pm, gives Sky plenty of time for a Zlatan ****athon.

Utd priced just 4/9 to win, quite a contrast to the last couple of seasons. Think it will be a routine 2-0 win, would be shocked if we scored

Sent from my D5803 using Tapatalk

Fonte or Yoshida will make a big difference. Don't fancy Maya up against Zlatan. I'd go for:

----------Forster----------

Pied--Fonte--VVD--Targett

----------Romeu----------

---Højbjerg------Davis---

-----------Tadic-----------

-----Redmond--Long-----

Perhaps harsh on Cedric but thought he was pretty poor on Saturday.

Seems about right, I'd be tempted to play Austin instead of Long just so we have a bit more arial threat though

.... with the enthusiastic, passionate man you see on the training pitch and touchlines. I for one am quite happy to have a manager who does his talking on and around the pitch.

I am not sure you are right about this, there aren't many smiling faces around the place anymore and in the video of Match Day Uncovered (v Watford) the prevailing mood in and around the dressing room seemed to one of abject misery and 'can't get away from this place quickly enough' body language from virtually all our players even the ones who are normally massively up-beat.

It all starts at the top and if Puel cannot invigorate and lift his players it does not bode well.

It will actually be really interesting to see how we go about it. Obviously Koeman would have packed the midfield and not committed many bodies forwards - and, in fairness, that has worked there the last couple of years.

Will Puel set us up more defensively than "normal" (which would presumably mean either a change in formation or, if we stick with it, we can only really make it tighter by playing Davis at the tip of the diamond so we have 4 genuine midfielders with one of Tadic or Redmond being sacrificed) or will we go and try to dominate possession?

Part of me thinks - "what the hell, let's just go for it". If we are trying to shift to a new playing style and philosophy then we might as well go for it. How will Man U set up in midfield anyway? Pogba and Fellaini with Rooney or Mata in front? Zlatan wandering around when they haven't got the ball and Lingard and Martial on the flanks. That's not exactly a tight ship (as long as the ref doesn't let Fellaini get away with fouling us every time we come forwards) and I think if we play confidently and don't have too many people off-form we might benefit from Mourinho having to squeeze a lot of expensive attacking talent into the team.

I'd be tempted to play Austin and Redmond as the forwards and leave Long for an impact role. If we play Long and Austin I think the likes of Davis, Romeu and the full-backs will be too tempted by the ball in-behind and we'll concede too much possession. The ball tends to bounce off Long (although judicious use of falling-over can make it stick via free-kicks). Although the system doesn't really suit Austin I think he deserves a start and the chance to show he can make a contribution.

Have my ticket and very excited! Do have a sense having not gone last 2 seasons and have missed us win there twice, we will inevitably get spanked tomorrow.

Think Fonte and Cedric must play that parternship kept Pogba and Martial quiet in Euros. Should be good atmosphere, if we can survive first 30 mins then we have a chance. Looking forward to seeing Zlatan, Pogba and of course Pied play in the flesh!