Man UTD build up thread

Yorkshire Saint

I'm going for a 2-0 defeat, early Zlatan header, them having crossed from the acres of space in front of the full backs, and then an hour of both sides passing it around and them defending deep with us (again) not getting the chance to counter. Then we create something from a rare mistake, Long misses a decent chance and they score in injury time just to annoy me.

I'm going, like maxi_sopez I haven't been for the past 2 years when we've won, my last visit was Pochettino's first game when we made the mistake of scoring right at the start.

i find it incredible that we go into the season with Nathan Redmond as one of our main forwards

It really is ridiculous when you step back and think that he was hardly a regular in a team that got relegated and now he's a guaranteed starter, out of position, in a team that finished in the top six last year. Can you think of any team who finished in our position, in any major league that would be starting the season with a winger from a relegated club as the man they are relying on for goals? I can't. It's incredibly complacent and risky IMO.

It really is ridiculous when you step back and think that he was hardly a regular in a team that got relegated and now he's a guaranteed starter, out of position, in a team that finished in the top six last year. Can you think of any team who finished in our position, in any major league that would be starting the season with a winger from a relegated club as the man they are relying on for goals? I can't. It's incredibly complacent and risky IMO.

But IF it works, we can flog him to a bigger club for £35+m!

That is what we are going for, an English player to get over 20 goals in a Premier League season, it is about the profit.

But IF it works, we can flog him to a bigger club for £35+m!

That is what we are going for, an English player to get over 20 goals in a Premier League season, it is about the profit.

What a depressing state of affairs. If it works, he's off and if it doesn't he's no good and we pay for it with our league position.

I think other than the odd spell, a couple of half chances, we will get soundly beaten and be 2nd best on large parts of the pitch.

4-0 to united

Maybe a good beating would speed up things on the transfer front? :?

With Mourinho at the helm I expect a boring ManU, controlling the game rather than pushing for goals. As the Saints do not have real killers up front (nor in midfield), it will be easy for Pogba etc. to control the game and just wait for the couple of chances which they will surely get.

Or will Puel have "a cunning plan"? That would be a nice surprise...

He didn't have a plan against 10 men at home last Saturday, so away to Utd I don't expect him to have much of a plan there either

Yup, I was not impressed either with his tactics in that game. But I for one would like to give a new coach time to work on his ideas. Allthough somehow I have a gut feeling that it will take Puel more time than many on this forum will allow him...

He didn't have a plan against 10 men at home last Saturday, so away to Utd I don't expect him to have much of a plan there either

Behave after the first 30 mins (where we were admittedly terrible) we were by far the better team. It wasn't like Watford played 60 plus minutes with 10 men it was more like 15 minutes and we were well on top by then. We just needed better finishing on some of those 25 attempts on goal (something we have struggled with for the last few seasons to be honest).

If it wasn't for the fact that this forum is very useful in getting the latest news on Saints then I wouldn't come on here. What a bunch of whiney, pessimistic ****s the, unfortunate, majority of you are. If it wasn't for the fact the domain name is Saintsweb then you wouldn't think this was a saints fan site. Get a grip guys, it's been one game. Which we believe it or not got a point from and was probably the better team. Not bad for a side that's just changed manager and system, it'll take a couple to get back in the sway of things. After all we are Southampton not Barcelona.

We have won our last two at Old Trafford, so I'm going with a 0-2 win to the Saints, that'll hopefully shut you fickle lot up.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

As glass half full as I try to be, I have this down as a big defeat. No biggy though, still early days.

Defeat wouldn't be a surprise at all but I think we will give them a decent game probably one goal in it. I'm certainly not expecting some sort of Villa/Sunderland thrashing everyone seems to be predicting.

People who know better at the club, and have a recent track record of recruiting successfully, have a different opinion to you. I agree with them. Redmond is an absolute gem who was wasted by a succession of overly cautious managers. we will see the best of him and he will go on to become a top player with us.

If it wasn't for the fact that this forum is very useful in getting the latest news on Saints then I wouldn't come on here. What a bunch of whiney, pessimistic ****s the, unfortunate, majority of you are. If it wasn't for the fact the domain name is Saintsweb then you wouldn't think this was a saints fan site. Get a grip guys, it's been one game. Which we believe it or not got a point from and was probably the better team. Not bad for a side that's just changed manager and system, it'll take a couple to get back in the sway of things. After all we are Southampton not Barcelona.

We have won our last two at Old Trafford, so I'm going with a 0-2 win to the Saints, that'll hopefully shut you fickle lot up.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Very much this. But you do have to be careful, if you complain about people complaining the whinging people might cry to the mods because they're allowed to whinge and be constantly negative.

Strewth. I know that there is a general air of pessimism here that masquerades in a farcical manner (by far too many) as realism/pragmatism, but I'm going to be the optimist here and say that we are going to win by a single goal, possibly a score draw.

I was looking at the odds earlier and returns on United are very low - rightly so as they are clear favourites tonight.

Only bet I will take is United -1 which is just below evens. £45 returns £85 and will at least mean I watched the game live n for free :)

Does anyone else think that Man Utd have suddenly become afraid of " little Saints " ? Is it going to be a David v. Goliath game again ?

It must be embarrassing for them to have been turned over by us at home for the last two seasons, especially having LvG spending that huge volume of money on players who later proved to be ....less than they expected.

Now that they have signed the " top striker in Europe", and the most expensive player ever ....and signed a manager, (who on his own admmission) is " a bit Special " .. ...they surely are desperate to win every game convincingly.

The media coverage around this has been a bit unusual to say the least. The Jose Fonte story, may be a little smoke before the fire starts, or is it just a smoke screen to upset Saints?......(I noticed that Claude Puel smelt a rat there.).....

Mourinho says that Pogba may " get some minutes "(perhaps suggesting he will start on the bench) and come on to slay a tiring Saints side (?) if MU are struggling,

and JM has gone public with a demand for the Old Trafford fans to "out-sing" the few thousand Saints fans who will be crammed into one corner of their 75,000 stadium.

Maybe it's just my imagination, but it we manage a hat-trick of wins tonight there will be more pressure on the Man U staff /players than they could ever have imagined.

COYR!!!!!