Sofiane Boufal

Matthew Le God

I must not get carried away with a youtube video!

OHMYFARKINGGODHESAMAZINGSIGNHIMNAOW!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Get a grip man!!, look away from the video and take a deep breath, think De Ridder and all will be better.

Probably being used to encourage Chelsea into making a bid since they are the other club supposedly with big interest in him. .

Or the other way round of course...much in the same way as Liverpool were used to get us to ramp up offers for Ramirez.

Its all part of the stepping stone cycle dont you know :) With inflated transfer prices, next summer we could shift Boufal on for £50m

Perhaps we should check with Liverpool first, just to get an idea of what they are prepared to pay next summer.

You got all that from one YouTube video? Impressive.

Its an awful lot of money to spend on a player 1 year younger than Mane and nowhere near as good. Mane is lethal. This guy has good balance and some nice footwork... but often he seems to be on the deck flat on his back, or the loose touches he gets away with in France will be lapped up in the premier. He'll need time to settle in for sure.

Its an awful lot of money to spend on a player 1 year younger than Mane and nowhere near as good. Mane is lethal. This guy has good balance and some nice footwork... but often he seems to be on the deck flat on his back, or the loose touches he gets away with in France will be lapped up in the premier. He'll need time to settle in for sure.

I've seen a fair few comments - especially around Puel's appt - of people saying they didn't really rate Mane at Metz (in the second division, from which they got relegated) and they were surprised he went to Salzburg and then on to Saints and Liverpool.

Boufal has more about him and a better record at the same age.

As you say though, Mane is the one with the record of doing it in the PL. But Saints is about giving those upcoming talents their chance.

From that video he looks all horn and no ship. How many times does he beat his man and then either try and beat him again, or just run into trouble?

Kinda like a massively overpriced Fabrice Fernandez by the sound of it

Sent from my SM-G925I using Tapatalk

There have been more bad transfers from the French league then good ones. French league really isnt great. Every league has their good (and even great players) but the overall level in France is pretty damn poor and its by far the weakest league of the 'big 5 leagues' in Europe.

30m is just stupid money for Boufal, good player but nowhere near worth 30m. You can literally buy, for example, Kostic and Ziyech with that amount of money and Boufal aint that much better then those guys.

There have been more bad transfers from the French league then good ones. French league really isnt great. Every league has their good (and even great players) but the overall level in France is pretty damn poor and its by far the weakest league of the 'big 5 leagues' in Europe.

30m is just stupid money for Boufal, good player but nowhere near worth 30m. You can literally buy, for example, Kostic and Ziyech with that amount of money and Boufal aint that much better then those guys.

Mane played in a very weak Austrian league, way weaker than the French league, he turned out to be alright albeit at much less than £25m

Mane played in a very weak Austrian league, way weaker than the French league, he turned out to be alright albeit at much less than £25m

But the difference with Mane was he had played internationally for Senegal against good opposition and still done well - so the club knew he was capable of playing at a higher level. Boufal hasn't done that (1 start against Cape Verde tells you nothing).

But the difference with Mane was he had played internationally for Senegal against good opposition and still done well - so the club knew he was capable of playing at a higher level. Boufal hasn't done that (1 start against Cape Verde tells you nothing).

I would say a lot of international African football isn't a great standard you only have to look at the Mayuka signing and how that turned out (wasn't he top scorer in an ACON championship). It was probably more the European games he played and Rons input combined with ours that concluded with us signing him, not international matches.

This will not happen. It's either his agent trying to get him a better deal with a 'big' club or as likely, Saints are after another player in the same position and leak this story to show they mean business. Smoke and mirrors Rodders.

If that's so, It's not good that out there if it's thought that Saints are willing to spend exorbitant amounts for targets.

I've seen a fair few comments - especially around Puel's appt - of people saying they didn't really rate Mane at Metz (in the second division, from which they got relegated) and they were surprised he went to Salzburg and then on to Saints and Liverpool.

Boufal has more about him and a better record at the same age.

As you say though, Mane is the one with the record of doing it in the PL. But Saints is about giving those upcoming talents their chance.

I don't disagree, but key attributes at the highest level are the physical ones. Mane has superb balance, strength and speed/acceleration. As well as a great touch and finish. His ability to just run around defenders who should have been dead certs to get the ball first is ridiculous. He could run a circle around them to get the ball faster than they could turn. Then they could never get him off it afterwards without fouling him. Boufal maybe good, but Mane was the best player I've seen at saints in many a long year - absolutely unplayable when he was on form. No way on this earth are we getting an equivalent player for almost as much money. and ofc I am no expert but I don't think the glimpses i've seen of Boufal's skill will make up for his weaker physical attributes (relative to Mane). Good player he may be! But I'd rather we were after cheaper talented players such as the Payet's, Mahrez, Mane, Tadic's of this world. Last time I checked, saints are not the club to splash circa £30m on a player, and if we are... why the hell didn't we just offer mane the money to stay :(

From that video he looks all horn and no ship. How many times does he beat his man and then either try and beat him again, or just run into trouble?

I think the video is a bit out of date, watched one of him this season (15/16) and he noticeably seemed more productive.

A certain Ronaldo was also a bit of an over player when he first came to Utd, better use of the ball and decision making can be coached, he at least seems to have a fair bit of talent if a little raw.

I know its only the French league but he does look decent.

It's all well saying he is too much and keep looking for the gems but if the black box has done it's due diligence then why not spend that kind of money,if we can afford it then whats the problem ?

Watched that with my 9 year old nipper. He piped up, "He's Moroccan!" So I said yes and asked him how he knew. Apparently the Moroccan flag, shown at 15 secs is quite easy to recognise!!

I mentioned it to my 14 year old who was pretty chuffed because he is the bomb on FIFA apparently :lol:

I mentioned it to my 14 year old who was pretty chuffed because he is the bomb on FIFA apparently :lol:

Only just realised he must play with Ziyech for the national team then.

I wonder how they line up with those 2 in the same team?

In fairness, I guess he would know him better than most.

As somebody who got the best out of Ben Arfa, I would have thought he would have fancied working with Boufal.

We need someone of Boufal's energy and drive or else we're going to look mighty sluggish with JWP et al passing sideways and backwards all the time. Not to mention the goals Mane brought to the table. I do hope Puel and Les have a plan hatching.

We need someone of Boufal's energy and drive or else we're going to look mighty sluggish with JWP et al passing sideways and backwards all the time. Not to mention the goals Mane brought to the table. I do hope Puel and Les have a plan hatching.

Do you think we've finished our business for this year? Or that Boufal is out only target (if, indeed, he ever was)?

No old bean. I tell ya, we're doomed!!! DOOMED! I'd lump money on now for relegation as you can still get 25-1. Surely it will tumble soon when it will become obvious that we are destined for the drop, even before the season has kicked off. And once we are relegated we can all go and support Jurgen's men as the familiarity of half the squad will be very comforting and ease the transition of one's allegiances.

Do you think we've finished our business for this year? Or that Boufal is out only target (if, indeed, he ever was)?

No of course not - I did say early in the thread that I didn't believe the link, but the point is we need someone like him as Mane did provide the direct pace and inventiveness that no other player (not even Tadic) can offer. Trouble is these types of player do not grow on trees - they are coveted, hard to obtain and cost an arm and a leg. Like I said hopefully Les and Puel have a plan.

No of course not - I did say early in the thread that I didn't believe the link, but the point is we need someone like him as Mane did provide the direct pace and inventiveness that no other player (not even Tadic) can offer. Trouble is these types of player do not grow on trees - they are coveted, hard to obtain and cost an arm and a leg. Like I said hopefully Les and Puel have a plan.

Mane only cost us 11.8m....

Perhaps part of the plan is not having players unavailable for 2 months in winter every 2 years.

Players that play for african nations are a bit of a problem in that respect. Anyway Boufal isn't worth anywhere near the sum being bandied about. Look at all those French signings that Villa made last year, worthless all of them in PL football. then again

Kanté wasn't so dusty at 5 million.

Edited by Window Cleaner

perhaps part of the plan is not having players unavailaine

Good point. He is currently injured and would feature at the ACON. No pre season then when he adjusts to the pace of the PL he would be missing for a key spell.

Could certainly do without that.

I'm sure the club are painfully aware that without Mane and to a much lesser extent Wanyama, we have lost around 15 league goals from the squad. That makes a huge difference so with our analytical approach they will be trying to find a way to replace them.

Despite the usual sarcasm from the usual culprits on here. (The law is no hint of criticism of the club is allowed) you make a very fair comment.

I'm sure the club are painfully aware that without Mane and to a much lesser extent Wanyama, we have lost around 15 league goals from the squad. That makes a huge difference so with our analytical approach they will be trying to find a way to replace them.

Thats before the sale of Pelle as well . Saints are playing a dangerous game imo .

Quality replacements are going up in price .

Sent from my SM-G925I using Tapatalk

• 1 month later...

Because I created the Redmond thread, and the Hojbjerg thread, I thought I'd start this one. Probably deserves his own thread after all..

http://www.dailyecho.co.uk/sport/saints/news/14702448.Saints_set_to_smash_transfer_record_for___20m_Boufal/?commentSort=score

Southampton are set to pay more than £20m for Sofiane Boufal

Saints are set to obliterate their transfer record by spending more than £20m on Lille star Sofiane Boufal.

The club are set to signal a massive statement of intent with the landmark signing of the attacking midfielder.

Boufal is regarded as one of the brightest talents currently playing in European football, with the 22-year-old’s impending signature a massive coup for Saints.

He came through the youth system at Angers before moving to Lille in January 2015, where he has set Ligue 1 alight with his outrageous skill and goalscoring, with 14 goals in 43 appearances for the French side.

Barcelona, Paris St Germain, Arsenal and Chelsea have all expressed an interest in signing Boufal, such is his ability, but it is Saints who have dramatically stolen a march on their rivals and are set to tie up a deal in the next few days.

The deal will put into the shade the near £15m Saints paid for their previous record signing Dani Osvaldo.

It should also settle supporters who have been itching for a major signing this summer after the departures of Victor Wanyama, Sadio Mane and Graziano Pelle.

Saints are also adamant that Jose Fonte will still be their player when the transfer window closes.

There has been a fresh raft of speculation that Manchester United will make an offer for the Euro 2016 winning central defender, though as yet nothing has been forthcoming.

Reports have suggested that United boss Jose Mourinho will wait until transfer deadline day next Wednesday before launching his raid in a bid to try and rush a move through at the last minute.

However, the Daily Echo understands that Saints remain steadfast in their stance that Fonte will stay at the club.

Saints have negotiated a significant pay rise for Fonte, which it is believed the skipper has indicated he is happy with.

Now the contract remains on the table waiting to be signed.

If it is not then Saints will keep their captain on his current salary with his deal running until the summer of 2018.

Whether they would withdraw the offer on or after transfer deadline day if Fonte waits it out to see what happens is unclear, but Saints are determined not to let him go.

For his part, Fonte remains a model professional, as he has throughout his time at Saints, and is expected to lead the team to face Sunderland at St Mary’s on Saturday.

He has also reiterated time and again how happy he is at Saints, and his clear passion for the club and the area could be enough to seal the deal.

Cuco Martina is waiting to discover his future with Everton prepared to pay around £2.5m to try and reunite him with Ronald Koeman, who signed the right back for Saints for £1m a year ago.