Arsenal away build up thread

Pass the Dutchie

Seriously would it not be better to get a translator who had a bit of character rather than hearing Puel monotone.

Or even a comedian. Anything is better than this sleep enhancing drone.

Seriously are you expecting him to change his style to become more showbiz? He is who he is.

Makes more sense put like that. Regardless our first two away games are very tough and no shame losing them even if we've done well recent seasons. Maybe we'll beat Utd at home for once instead.

Just two dire home results but we it's in the past now and boufal will make a big difference.

It's bad enough that we buy players and they are injured for long periods i.e. JRod, Gardos (where is he by the way?), Forster, Austin, Bertrand etc. but buying one already injured is almost laughable. If he becomes our miracle player all well and good but how long before we get to see him? Hopefully before the "horse bolts". Hope he can stand the pressure of expectation being heaped on him!

oh FFS, calm down dear, you honestly think that if they dont win against Arsenal or Swansea (most likely) that people wont start to get restless ?

Of course the players will, dont be so bloody naieve, they have been playing a system that has suited them and got results and now all of a sudden thats been thrown out the window....

I'm just asking the question about Kelvin, did you miss the bloody question mark? - he is liason between players and management yes ? Therefore it would be correct to say that IF there is unrest from the playing staff he would be the one to raise the subject with Les and co ?

sorry for fkin speaking on a forum Mr trousers :rolleyes:

I am calm. I'm not one of the ones who's getting restless as you put it.

You talk about being naive but wouldn't it be way more naive to believe someone who's taken a throw-away line from a supposed ITK and extended it into some sort of supposed future player revolt, based on what exactly ?

Now that the same ITK has come back with a comment of "I don't think its anything to worry about. We could just do with a win sooner rather than later. CP is a really really good manager." you don't seem so keen to take his post and read things into it.

The reality is that, as with last season, we haven't started too well in terms of results but, as with last season, there are positives to build upon. Personally, I think there are plusses and minuses to the new system so far. Staying with 4-2-3-1 would have been safer but also more predictable and I do believe he will still deploy that system for some games this season. Remember that Koeman swapped the system last season to 3-5-2 on a few occasions and I don't see many people moaning about that.

I honestly think we could see some really exciting adventurous football at St. Marys this season under Puel. As LeG says he is a really really good manager but, for whatever reason, some fans seem intent to be on his case from the get-go. Give him time to work with the players and get his system bedded in and then see how we're doing.

sorry for fkin disagreeing with you on a forum Mr Beatle :)

Seriously are you expecting him to change his style to become more showbiz? He is who he is.

Might have missed that Andy Durman had his tongue slightly in his cheek but it is a serious point. The purpose of an interview is to give information to the audience but if the audience become too bored to listen, the whole purpose is lost. There must be fans who sometimes switch him off as it's to painful to listen. Thing is, do the players switch off as well during training lectures?

Is Puel taking English lessons or is he just hoping to get better over time? It would be good to think he was taking steps to improve his communication skills. In the meantime, Eric Black sharing the interviews would help, as presumably he already does in speaking to the players.

Pubs for today?

Rumours are pubs in Islington and going to be locals only and need to show ticket to get in. Every season this seems to get worse around there. Used to be able to get in Wetherspoons easily as they would allow home and away. But last couple season only managed to sneak in with gooner mates.

Probably going to meet at O'Neills on the Euston Road opposite St Pancras.

I am calm. I'm not one of the ones who's getting restless as you put it.

You talk about being naive but wouldn't it be way more naive to believe someone who's taken a throw-away line from a supposed ITK and extended it into some sort of supposed future player revolt, based on what exactly ?

Now that the same ITK has come back with a comment of "I don't think its anything to worry about. We could just do with a win sooner rather than later. CP is a really really good manager." you don't seem so keen to take his post and read things into it.

The reality is that, as with last season, we haven't started too well in terms of results but, as with last season, there are positives to build upon. Personally, I think there are plusses and minuses to the new system so far. Staying with 4-2-3-1 would have been safer but also more predictable and I do believe he will still deploy that system for some games this season. Remember that Koeman swapped the system last season to 3-5-2 on a few occasions and I don't see many people moaning about that.

I honestly think we could see some really exciting adventurous football at St. Marys this season under Puel. As LeG says he is a really really good manager but, for whatever reason, some fans seem intent to be on his case from the get-go. Give him time to work with the players and get his system bedded in and then see how we're doing.

sorry for fkin disagreeing with you on a forum Mr Beatle :)

Nice to know you know CP so well. What's his usual breakfast routine? Things we have had quoted about CP from various sources who have been claimed to have known him because they worked with him.

He always wants to win. He's stubborn. He has taken teams to play in Europe and one of them, Lille, a club that was once a 'big' club in France did well as they would have been expected to. His teams play nice-looking football. Once they had got used to the system their results improved.

The last one has a lot of variables. Doesn't mean too much in terms of how good he is.

The one before that is good. But we do remember that SFC under Poortlooviert played lovely football, had lots of chances to score and McGoaldrought up front.

Next one. Ok. Liverpool went for their pressing game and finished in 2 cup finals and really should have done better than us in the league. Klopp played a number of the youth at times. They didn't take a route that suggested they needed to take their foot off the pedal. Spurs likewise did what Poch teams do. Their mentality was the problem, not their legs.

Second one. There's no evidence CP changes things. There may have been changes in games where we've had to chase them but nothing earlier. Compare RK's changing his team after 37 mins this season when Everton went behind to WBA and then ended up winning. That, incidentally, was a tactical change. All changes of formation are tactical changes. It shows flexibility. So far we have heard rumours along the lines of it is the players who adapt, nothing about the manager. The first year at Nice they came 17th I believe. We cannot afford to do that. We are not a Man U who will 'always come good' in other peoples' eyes. To fail to beat last year gives every armchair hack that the BBC and other 'news' outlets employ the opportunity to say 'I was right!' and they will then beat their chests ad nauseam forever more. Currently we are in the 'You'll never win anything with kids" territory but without actually winning anything yet. It will be interesting to see how we do against Sparta: they should be a good challenge.

The first one. It's been stated several times that he's been known to get rough in training e.g. the foul on Wenger and one ex-associate said even if he was playing against his own son he wouldn't go easy e.g. Kelvin's testimonial and the 2 pens his son took against him. Good; we need a nastier/more intense streak and let's hope he instils this in us soon. It can be seen that he is working on his English but for now in terms of press conferences unless it's a ploy by the club to have him speak as his answers don't really mean much and often don't directly answer the question(s) asked I'd rather he replied in French, we got a half-decent translator if Black won't do, and we got some more meaningful answers as I think he probably has far more to say than he actually can.

But anyway, there's a fair bit of evidence that contradicts you but nice to know you just decide things and then argue rather than interpret the evidence (such as it is) and then form an opinion. That's Batman/Glasgow territory. Not quite Alpine though.

There must be fans who sometimes switch him off as it's to painful to listen.
Yep me!! I tried to listen to his first interview and gave up, he is boring in the extreme. Now I just wait for someone to summarise. I can see a real possibility that some players would also find him incredibly dull and therefore switch off when he starts waffling and saying "Erm" after every word....not his fault I know but that's how it is.

I don't think its anything to worry about. We could just do with a win sooner rather than later. CP is a really really good manager. He's trying to implement a formation that won't knacker the players out when the games come thick and fast (Europa). It's a clever move but will obv take some adjusting. He's doubled the sessions and I imagine he expects more from the players, esp the ones who need 5 chances to score 1 goal. 2 lapses in defending from players who aren't match fit have cost us 6points at home, along with rubbish finishing. That is the fault of the players. This is a transitional season for saints. As fans we cry out for long term success (a reminder of the last 7 seasons)...trying to keep players and managers etc If it takes one season to get it right and we enjoy a few decent cup runs, to have 4 seasons of building and top 8 finishes, i'm sure we'd all take that.

We need to get behind the team. We'll turn the corner soon!

I hope you're right. But we've got a squad of internationals, and to me, they don't look to be buying into it.

Disagree about Clasie. Much better playing deeper in my humble opinion.

We shall see, he hasn't really been given a chance for us further forward. Watching clips of him in Holland (I know, I know) he got a lot of assists playing balls through the middle.

For us he's looked at his best when closing down and pressing high up, which this role gives him more of a chance to do.

Nice to know you know CP so well. What's his usual breakfast routine? Things we have had quoted about CP from various sources who have been claimed to have known him because they worked with him.

He always wants to win. He's stubborn. He has taken teams to play in Europe and one of them, Lille, a club that was once a 'big' club in France did well as they would have been expected to. His teams play nice-looking football. Once they had got used to the system their results improved.

The last one has a lot of variables. Doesn't mean too much in terms of how good he is.

The one before that is good. But we do remember that SFC under Poortlooviert played lovely football, had lots of chances to score and McGoaldrought up front.

Next one. Ok. Liverpool went for their pressing game and finished in 2 cup finals and really should have done better than us in the league. Klopp played a number of the youth at times. They didn't take a route that suggested they needed to take their foot off the pedal. Spurs likewise did what Poch teams do. Their mentality was the problem, not their legs.

Second one. There's no evidence CP changes things. There may have been changes in games where we've had to chase them but nothing earlier. Compare RK's changing his team after 37 mins this season when Everton went behind to WBA and then ended up winning. That, incidentally, was a tactical change. All changes of formation are tactical changes. It shows flexibility. So far we have heard rumours along the lines of it is the players who adapt, nothing about the manager. The first year at Nice they came 17th I believe. We cannot afford to do that. We are not a Man U who will 'always come good' in other peoples' eyes. To fail to beat last year gives every armchair hack that the BBC and other 'news' outlets employ the opportunity to say 'I was right!' and they will then beat their chests ad nauseam forever more. Currently we are in the 'You'll never win anything with kids" territory but without actually winning anything yet. It will be interesting to see how we do against Sparta: they should be a good challenge.

The first one. It's been stated several times that he's been known to get rough in training e.g. the foul on Wenger and one ex-associate said even if he was playing against his own son he wouldn't go easy e.g. Kelvin's testimonial and the 2 pens his son took against him. Good; we need a nastier/more intense streak and let's hope he instils this in us soon. It can be seen that he is working on his English but for now in terms of press conferences unless it's a ploy by the club to have him speak as his answers don't really mean much and often don't directly answer the question(s) asked I'd rather he replied in French, we got a half-decent translator if Black won't do, and we got some more meaningful answers as I think he probably has far more to say than he actually can.

But anyway, there's a fair bit of evidence that contradicts you but nice to know you just decide things and then argue rather than interpret the evidence (such as it is) and then form an opinion. That's Batman/Glasgow territory. Not quite Alpine though.

He's got previous. If you'd done your research and looked at the evidence you would know that.

At Lyons he swapped his tactics from 4-3-3 to 4-2-3-1 (http://www.tomwfootball.com/2011/03/23/tactics-french-sides-flock-to-worship-at-altar-of-4-2-3-1/) mid season,

As you say he wants to win and in that regard he's a pragmatist. All I'm saying is that there may be some games this season where he elects to play 4-2-3-1 but on past evidence I'd still expect the midfield diamond to be his formation of choice the majority of the time.

We shall see, he hasn't really been given a chance for us further forward. Watching clips of him in Holland (I know, I know) he got a lot of assists playing balls through the middle.

For us he's looked at his best when closing down and pressing high up, which this role gives him more of a chance to do.

Fair comment. We haven't really been much of a pressing side this season. Would be good to see.