Arsenal away build up thread

Pass the Dutchie

To be honest, I was expecting us to get smashed before we beat them 4-0. Who knows, maybe the same thing will happen again. Where's the build up thread for that match, what were we all thinking then?

We pressed the life out of Arsenal that day and hit them on the counter attack with the pace of Mane and Long. In midfield big Vic had one of those days when nothing and nobody got past and then there was the stunner from Martina to get things rolling.

England U21s played a diamond midfield with Redmond and Rashford up front. It looked pretty poor and Redmond struggled. Changed for second half Redmond played from wide on the right with freedom to come inside and looked a completely different player in his natural position. Targett was good, JWP struggled with the diamond but was much better in the second half.

The idea of the diamond is supposed to retain possession and save legs. If we have one third possession against Arsenal it will be as much as we can manage. I wonder how the diamond will work then.

England U21s played a diamond midfield with Redmond and Rashford up front. It looked pretty poor and Redmond struggled. Changed for second half Redmond played from wide on the right with freedom to come inside and looked a completely different player in his natural position. Targett was good, JWP struggled with the diamond but was much better in the second half.

The idea of the diamond is supposed to retain possession and save legs. If we have one third possession against Arsenal it will be as much as we can manage. I wonder how the diamond will work then.

I didn't watch the game, but the diamond looked pretty poor in a 1st half that ended 2-0 to England? Can't have been all bad.

https://grabyo.com/g/v/1zY7nPzo8Jk

^ that's the Rashford treble for starters.

Cheers.

Also just seen the JWP free kick for England's second. That was a bit special. Top class delivery.

And a cracking effort from Redmond near the end that hit the post.

(Found highlights on BT Sport app)

Edited by trousers

Will be a comfortable win for Arsenal. I think we will start getting back on track after this. The games will be coming thick and fast though, 6 in 20 days.

Sent from my D5803 using Tapatalk

What makes you so optimistic about the strength and depth of our squad that we'll be able to handle it?

Heard an interview with Southgate on 5 live after the game. Said he swapped from the diamond for tactical reasons due to the way Norway had set up. Said that they were happy with the system which they played to win the Toulon tournament and that it suited their fron two of Rashford and Redmond who both like to cut in from wide positions.

That sounds ominous

Who cares ? You , I and every other person in the world know what he means

Doesn't exactly promote you as knowing what you're talking about though, especially given the amount of money the Premier League has thrown at rebranding specifically to stop people calling it anything else.

The Premiership is a Scottish division and a rugby competition.

I expect us to get two things from this game, one is we'll most likely get beat but we keep it tight and maybe get our first away goal in a 2-1 loss, two, we show moments of brilliance that'll give us a boost to go and thrash the team in our Europa game on Thursday.

but being selfish, I'll be hoping that Forster and the whole defence have a stormer of a game, and one of our forwards produce a masterclass to give us the three points. Dreamland!

I expect us to get two things from this game, one is we'll most likely get beat but we keep it tight and maybe get our first away goal in a 2-1 loss, two, we show moments of brilliance that'll give us a boost to go and thrash the team in our Europa game on Thursday.

but being selfish, I'll be hoping that Forster and the whole defence have a stormer of a game, and one of our forwards produce a masterclass to give us the three points. Dreamland!

ah ! ...but no dreams = no ambition = no success. Despite the prophets of doom and gloom who knows what might happen if we play well enough.

I reckon we'll continue to have the highest average number of shots in the league, higher possession that Arsenal.... and get smashed.

But don't worry, people on here will remind us that passing the ball back and forth between the centerbacks and shooting from 30yards (rather than from inside the box) is the way to beat people.

Assuming it's the usual system, I would like to see Long and Rodriguez start upfront with Redmond in the "10" for this one. Not sure Tadic will see much of the ball if he starts and Redmond will get us further up the pitch more quickly. It may turn out that Rodriguez is way off the pace still but let's find out in a "free-hit" sort of match that ought, in theory, to suit his strengths more than Austin's. Giving him 15 mins here and there won't show us too much and I don't think anyone would disagree that, when fully fit, he's our best striker.

I'm assuming Boufal isn't ready to start.

Hopefully Bertrand is back too.

I reckon we'll continue to have the highest average number of shots in the league, higher possession that Arsenal.... and get smashed.

But don't worry, people on here will remind us that passing the ball back and forth between the centerbacks and shooting from 30yards (rather than from inside the box) is the way to beat people.

Strangely I haven't yet seen anyone say that.

Assuming it's the usual system, I would like to see Long and Rodriguez start upfront with Redmond in the "10" for this one. Not sure Tadic will see much of the ball if he starts and Redmond will get us further up the pitch more quickly. It may turn out that Rodriguez is way off the pace still but let's find out in a "free-hit" sort of match that ought, in theory, to suit his strengths more than Austin's. Giving him 15 mins here and there won't show us too much and I don't think anyone would disagree that, when fully fit, he's our best striker.

I'm assuming Boufal isn't ready to start.

Hopefully Bertrand is back too.

If we stick with the diamond, then I'd go with the following...

----------------Forster-----------------

Cedric----Fonte-----VVD----Bertrand

----------------Romeu------------------

-----------JWP--------Hojbjerg--------

-----------------Davis-------------------

Long--------------------------Redmond

I thought the moans last season were because we _never_ shot from outside the box and tried to walk it in..

I thought the moans last season were because we _never_ shot from outside the box and tried to walk it in..

You wouldn't want to be too predictable to either extreme. We are currently incredibly predictable and easy to defend against.