Be'er Sheva vs Saints

Lighthouse

Long has to be played to his strengths not shoehorned into a system that doesn't suit him if we are to get the best out of him. His and Redmond's game needs to be worked on as their anticipation in the penalty area is on a par with spectators. They have to get off their heels and make runs on the off chance not wait for the ball to eventually drop in front of them pretty much like Redmond's only goal, it hasn't happened since and he hasn't scored and worse still hasn't looked like scoring. The only two who are prepared to move are Austin and Rodriguez, it's no coincidence that they have both got goals..

OR... had Cuco looked up before firing the ball across the box he'd have seen the pair of them in space by the penalty spot.

Martina getting a few negative comments, I thought he was fine and put some decent balls in. It wasn't his fault that the centre forwards weren't on the end of them - he did his job.

We never looked overrun at a ground where plenty have come away with their tails between their legs. 2nd half we were the better team without really cutting through them.

Draw away and win at home will see us comfortably through - I'm happy with that.

he could have looked up before crossing...

Not sure why so many are on Martina's back, he was the only player that was making willing runs that would end up with a delivery into the box. Many of the offsides were due to players not passing quick enough or being on the same wave length, however the times it did happen.. no body was in the box. Yes he did make some sloppy passes and maybe wasn't as strong in the ball as he should of..but then again wasn't the whole team like that?

Overall I think it was a good clean sheet for a side that are not used to travelling large distances and playing European football and sets us up nicely to take them on at home. We are top of the table.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Excellent job IMO. Rotate the squad, keep a few players fresh for the league and come away from a tough away game unbeaten and without injuries.

This. A win would have been amazing and we nearly got it. But a clean sheet (5 in a row now?) and draw is fine.

Sent from my D6503 using Tapatalk

FFS ..... we're premier league, that surely makes us dignitaries !! :D

Seriously though, hope they're holed up in a hotel not in an airport waiting lounge.

They were waiting in the airport. Just heard they're boarding now. Been at airport since at least 11:00am BST.

5.5 hour flight, 2.5 hrs to clear the airport and get home .... not back 'til gone 11pm !!

Presumably travelling to Leicester tomorrow ... glad we left a few at home resting.

With Leicester playing at home two days before us and are at home again Sunday, gives them a nice advantage.

OR... had Cuco looked up before firing the ball across the box he'd have seen the pair of them in space by the penalty spot.

The comment was not just about last night but about the fact that neither ever make the anticipatory runs in the box but wait for the ball to come to them, which it rarely does. On the other hand regular goal scorers like Austin make their runs or lose their markers by checking and get on the end of crosses wherever they come. Long and Redmond never gamble but wait to see what happens, that needs addressing.

5.5 hour flight, 2.5 hrs to clear the airport and get home .... not back 'til gone 11pm !!

Presumably travelling to Leicester tomorrow ... glad we left a few at home resting.

Possible the delay has been deliberate to avoid the media on their return. Puel said the would train before going to the airport and would have a day to rest before the game on Sunday. .

The comment was not just about last night but about the fact that neither ever make the anticipatory runs in the box but wait for the ball to come to them, which it rarely does. On the other hand regular goal scorers like Austin make their runs or lose their markers by checking and get on the end of crosses wherever they come. Long and Redmond never gamble but wait to see what happens, that needs addressing.

ORLY??

Probably too late now but if you have any desire to go to Dubai at some point ensure they stamp a piece of paper not inside your passports at border control Israel

They didn't stamp anything, they now print you a blue piece of paper with a QR code on it which gets you through the gate.

Hello from the M1 by the way, arrived back in Luton via Geneva an hour ago, on the way to Leicester (though going to Wolves v Norwich tomorrow for the hell of it).

Absolutely fantastic time, great beaches, bars, travel, locals, ridiculous bus trip including service station in the "desert", nearly got a match worn shirt (some kid got two) and then to top it off, selfies with half the squad at the airport (where they didn't ask me ANY weird security questions at any point).

Anyway, 18 days til we fly to Milano for Internazionale. :)

Height in midfield slightly concerns me, anyone know how big their midfield is?

We do now. :o Puel hoiking Hesketh was a very smart decision, we was getting overpowered every time. Gave us Redmond through the middle and Tadić on to deliver balls into the area.

Hello from the M1 by the way, arrived back in Luton via Geneva an hour ago, on the way to Leicester (though going to Wolves v Norwich tomorrow for the hell of it).

{SNIP]

Anyway, 18 days til we fly to Milano for Internazionale. :)

Going to Be'er Sheba,Wolves, and Leicester AND a Newport supporter! Right nutter. :-). See you in Milan..

Having, courtesy of SFC now watched the game on-line, it is difficult to understand the misguided comments on here of people who were quick to rubbish Martina and Clasie. They were OK, no worse than many others on the night in fact in the case of Clasie, I thought he played rather well making few mistakes and making quite a few very telling through passes. Even Yoshida, most people's favourite whipping boy had a good match. Let's face it every player had a moment or two and even fan favourite Virgil van Dyke squandered our best scoring chance.

Poor Hesketh but this is what happens when one performance of a raw kid is so massively over-hyped on here and elsewhere. Poor lad was defeated by the hysterical level of expectation heaped on his very young shoulders.

A point was not good enough against this opposition and if Inter decide to make a game of it next time instead of dismissing the competition as being beneath their dignity we may come to regret our sloppy over-casual approach to goal scoring on display on Thursday evening.

Having, courtesy of SFC now watched the game on-line, it is difficult to understand the misguided comments on here of people who were quick to rubbish Martina and Clasie. They were OK, no worse than many others on the night in fact in the case of Clasie, I thought he played rather well making few mistakes and making quite a few very telling through passes. Even Yoshida, most people's favourite whipping boy had a good match. Let's face it every player had a moment or two and even fan favourite Virgil van Dyke squandered our best scoring chance.

Poor Hesketh but this is what happens when one performance of a raw kid is so massively over-hyped on here and elsewhere. Poor lad was defeated by the hysterical level of expectation heaped on his very young shoulders.

A point was not good enough against this opposition and if Inter decide to make a game of it next time instead of dismissing the competition as being beneath their dignity we may come to regret our sloppy over-casual approach to goal scoring on display on Thursday evening.

Firstly Hesketh was protected and his performance wasn't over hyped ,Secondly a point away from home to these is a good point and thirdly Inter can't make a game of it next time as their europa league squad is restricted by ffp regulations hence it being filled with their reserves and youth players ! Hth

Team are delayed a few hours because of the dignitaries leaving from the same airport. Can't be good for the preparation for Sunday.

Not sure that is correct, we met up with team at airport and they and we left while state funeral where all the dignitaries was still in progress

Was told the team had always planned to fly back Friday lunchtime to get back to Bournemouth late afternoon as it was they were up at 8am local time for breakfast, as we were staying in same hotel

On the contrary, we just had to not concede. From the (bad) view I had of it from the other end, it looked like he was deceived by the amount of curve on JWP's cross, must be a sod to read at that pace.

Hope you enjoy your trip ! How was the atmosphere

did it feel like being in a dodgy part of the world?

look cracking on telly

Not at all.

As stated earlier, the only problem was the price of beer. Did find a bar that had 6.5% Israeli "cloudy". That was almost worth the £7 to £8 we were paying. As well as some stunning barmaids.

When The Magic Bingo Buses got within sight of the stadium, we turned off the highway and went along an unmade winding track for about a 1/2 mile before reaching an equally unmade car park some 100 yards from the away section. I remarked on arrival that we had stumbled onto the film set of a new "Mad Max" movie. Others thought it was where The Joshua Tree was photographed. The fact that we were staring at a gleaming new stadium was completely bizarre.

Nothing worth saying about the game, but I can only speak highly about Tel Aviv and its people.

Hope you enjoy your trip ! How was the atmosphere

Was a superb trip, Israel is a really nice country, and tel aviv is a great place to go on the **** (well if you don't mind spending £6 a pint anyway).

Loads of bars and clubs fronting onto the beach, with staff hardly ever letting your pints finish and all the bonuses that come from a beach view.

To the game itself happy enough with a point, it's a long way to travel with a rotated team and playing a side that hasn't ever lost at their new ground.

Must admit I do think we'd have won it if we'd played a full strength side, but winning the home games and not losing away gets us through.

Also think if Virgil had scored it would've been a very different game.

Fair play to their fans too, made one hell of a racket all game and one the loudest grounds I've ever been in, albeit one of the weirdest approaches (across a desert track).

Have to say I wasn't really sure what the Leonardo Di Caprio stuff was about at the start of the game but it has to go down as one of the least threatening and most laughable things i've seen at a football game.

Not at all once you were in the country, although the security checks at the airport were like nothing i've ever seen in my life. Absolutely mental and weirdly ten times worse on the way out than the way in, with some of our fans getting stuck at passport control for going on an hour.

Firstly Hesketh was protected and his performance wasn't over hyped ,Secondly a point away from home to these is a good point and thirdly Inter can't make a game of it next time as their europa league squad is restricted by ffp regulations hence it being filled with their reserves and youth players ! Hth

As far as I can see Inter has only 4 players from their 1st team that are not available for EL. They could put out a better team if they wanted to. But if they don't we should be looking to win home and away.

Was a superb trip, Israel is a really nice country, and tel aviv is a great place to go on the **** (well if you don't mind spending £6 a pint anyway).

Loads of bars and clubs fronting onto the beach, with staff hardly ever letting your pints finish and all the bonuses that come from a beach view.

To the game itself happy enough with a point, it's a long way to travel with a rotated team and playing a side that hasn't ever lost at their new ground.

Must admit I do think we'd have won it if we'd played a full strength side, but winning the home games and not losing away gets us through.

Also think if Virgil had scored it would've been a very different game.

Fair play to their fans too, made one hell of a racket all game and one the loudest grounds I've ever been in, albeit one of the weirdest approaches (across a desert track).

Have to say I wasn't really sure what the Leonardo Di Caprio stuff was about at the start of the game but it has to go down as one of the least threatening and most laughable things i've seen at a football game.

Not at all once you were in the country, although the security checks at the airport were like nothing i've ever seen in my life. Absolutely mental and weirdly ten times worse on the way out than the way in, with some of our fans getting stuck at passport control for going on an hour.

As long as you are not Palestinian of course.

As long as you are not Palestinian of course.

Think that's a bit of a naive view having been there. I can only speak for what I saw but the mix of Israeli, Arab, Muslim etc was very noticeable and all were friendly. I assume the problems are in the border regions and occupied regions more, but the impression I got is the average person didn't give a **** about those politics and just wanted to get on with their lives in peace.

Personally I've come away with a very different impression of the whole conflict and now think it's much more leaders and religious nuts who don't represent the general populace of tel aviv at least.

And that's from someone that has had deep political misgivings of Israel in the past

Sitting in Tel Aviv airport reading the reports in the Jerusalem Post where their manager is claiming the result against a big club to be a very good one so it seems both sides would have settled for a point. Saints were incredibly light weight upfront which was disappointing after last Sunday, how we could have used a fit JayRod.

I don't think I have ever been in a noisier stadium, everyone and I mean every one in the crowd joined in with singing and clapping and the acoustics meant the atmosphere was intimidating but never hostile. There was a little street bar on the corner outside and both sets of fans mingled just fine. Unfortunately it seems the vendor didn't have a liquor license because the law arrived and told him no more beer sales! Just as Steve Grant was about to get a drink too.

I was stood right next to Steve as the lady in the shop took the beers out of his hands. It was rather surreal.

I had a brilliant time. Tel Aviv was great with beautiful beaches.

The ground was a mix of Bucharest's in the middle of nowhere-ness and Midtyjlland's newness. And pretty noisy without being threatening; their fans in the corner applauded us at the end, and were pretty friendly outside the ground.

Arnhem just about remains my favourite away trip, partly as we won and partly because of student night after the game. Won't forget some of the sights that night for a long time. Though having not lost in Israel means I returned home with much fonder memories than if we had lost.

Edited by Pat from Poole

I'm sitting at the airport to finally head home. Not one regret at traveling so far. A friendly welcome from everyone in Israel. A very interesting country with many contrasts. Not wanting to get into politics but, whatever Manji says, there are faults on all sides. Toured Jerusalem yesterday which was well worth it and you see Jews, Arabs and Christians living side by side peacefully. The history is overwhelming. I'm sure you wouldn't have to dig too deep to find issues but would be impolite to your hosts to ask questions.

Met some great Saints fans at Mike's Place - a few characters from here. Wish I could make Milan but too much to do this again so soon.

The9 - which bus were you on?

look cracking on telly

Parts of it did. Be'er Sheva Old City was a dump, Bethlehem pretty lively, as were a few little bits of Jerusalem and there's plenty of armed security everywhere and security checks to get into malls and stations, but overall I'd say it's more relaxed than I'd expected, Tel Aviv is like any affluent city in the world, great place to live I'd imagine.