Be'er Sheva vs Saints

Lighthouse

I reckon Puel will have acknowledged that this would be a gruelling game with such a long trip and a hot stadium with a very hostile crowd. He put out a side with the intention of not getting beaten while saving as much energy as possible, and it worked. A point and a clean sheet away at such a place is really not a bad result at all.

I reckon Puel will have acknowledged that this would be a gruelling game with such a long trip and a hot stadium with a very hostile crowd. He put out a side with the intention of not getting beaten while saving as much energy as possible, and it worked. A point and a clean sheet away at such a place is really not a bad result at all.

This

Pretty much this. I think Puel was happy to just not get beat away from home in a 7000 mile round trip to a desert. Probably hoped to nick one on the break but our forward players didn't seem capable of that tonight.

Yeah - Looked like mission accomplished to me.

Boy, does Long need a goal. Got to be happy with an away point

Long is missing Mane; he and Redmond are playing like strangers at the moment - Long wasn't helped by the poor quality of delivery - so many predictable crosses coming in as if we were set up with a Pelle or Austin. Still a useful point.

On the positive front we got the result we needed, an away draw.

Utterly abject display though, could have conceded a number in the 2nd half.

Feel sorry for Hesketh, didn't deserve to be hooked after 30 mins, especially when you consider how abject others were and how poor the the 2nd half display was and no changes were made till literally the last minutes.

Man of the match Van Dijk, because he was solid defensively as usual though that header miss early on was bad.

Defending was adequate, passing was OK but toothless up front. That said I can't believe Virgil's miss, one of the worst misses I've seen in a while, other than that he's utter class. Romeu was good.

Martina put a few decent crosses in but where were the forwards? Long doesn't look like he wants to score. IMO Charlie would have won that for us.

Forget the performance, it was a decent point at a tricky place and we're on top without conceding a goal. Pretty pleased TBH.

Acceptable result in the end. But such a weird performance, some of them looked drunk. Cuco put in a performance the likes of which we've never seen in professional football.

We should have taken Austin. Even just to put him on for 10 mins at the end.

On to the next one.

Sums it up.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Felt like we made about 300 crosses tonight and could have made 300 more and still not scored.

Will be very useful to have Rodriguez & Boufal as options in the near future.

Don't understand why we cross so much with a front pairing of Long and Redmond and a midget midfield. This team was set up for threaded through balls or ones over the top with Long and Remond playing on the shoulders of their defence. No hope with high over hit crosses into the box from out wide.

Saints played a low energy game, never pressing that much, just keeping their shape.

Going forward, Targett was not pressing forward like Bertrand does, and Martina had a shocker on the other flank, 2 seconf half crosses aside.

Redmond was ananymous and Long had a shocker. His confidence is so low at the moment that he seemed to be hiding from any half chances. His touch just on the final whistle summed him up to day, playing the ball behind himself, to the two men he was trying to beat.

The midfield was solid though, Romeou was MOM by a mile, and Claiise was good too. Yoshida did ok, bar hsi casual cleareance that was belted wide, and VD was good, apart from missing an early sitter.

All in all a decent point.

Personally think we played a very tactical game tonight. Harsh conditions, 5 hours flight, time difference, 2 hour drive through the desert to reach the city. And yet we coasted to a draw vs a team that have beaten Celtic (who should have beaten city) and Olympiacos.

Fans may not like it, but a draw was all that was required to win the group - where as on Sunday we need to aim for a result. Puel is managing the squad excellently, and it was clear that he told the team not to press first half to conserve energy.... If fans can't understand the above I would question their intelligence. Whether you like it or agree with it is a different story.

Personally think we played a very tactical game tonight. Harsh conditions, 5 hours flight, time difference, 2 hour drive through the desert to reach the city. And yet we coasted to a draw vs a team that have beaten Celtic (who should have beaten city) and Olympiacos.

Fans may not like it, but a draw was all that was required to win the group - where as on Sunday we need to aim for a result. Puel is managing the squad excellently, and it was clear that he told the team not to press first half to conserve energy.... If fans can't understand the above I would question their intelligence. Whether you like it or agree with it is a different story.

It could be argued the best way to conserve energy is not to give the fecking ball away so much.....

watching Saints for nearly 50 years a 0-0 away is a cracking result. Most of you have been spoilt, we were always easy pickings away in the past.

Feel sorry for those fans who went spent their money and went to the game

Edited by OldNick

In the end a point is a decent result especially considering how poorly we played.

Martina was incredibly poor and I like him usually. James Ward-Prowse is just bizarre, when is he going to put in a good performance for the club? Long looks lost and Redmond gave the ball away too much. Without Davis or Hojberg we were always going to lose the midfield, and thank fook for VVD otherwise we probably would have lost. Blimey he should have scored though.

We can consider ourselves very lucky we weren't one of the 300odd who made the journey. That's a couple of days they'll never get back. They deserved more than that performance.

Agree Old Nick - you look at the dreadful displays against Mijtlland last year. Chalk and cheese.

1 win against Inter (home or away) and we have 1 foot in the next round.

true, but I was thinking of the 70's 8-0 at Everton 7-0 at Ipswich, 7-2 (Watford) there are loads more that I cant bear to bring back to my memory!!!