Man City 1 Saints 1 - Reactions

St Chalet

MOTM  

343 members have voted

1. 1. MOTM

I always think that Redmond is woefully under rated. If he was called Redmondinho, the press would be singing his praises. But no, he has been categorised (whether true or not) as a player that struggled to get into a relegated Norwich side and was laughed off (maybe rightly so) when his new manager said he was going to be Henry Mk2. I see quite a lot of similarities between him and Mr £50m Sterling, but I am not sure that I would have the £50m man over the £10m man. In fact if things carry on as they are, he really should replace him in the England squad, but we know that he won't due to the respective clubs.

Absolutely agree, I would have redmond everyday of the week, I think he is quaility. The same people who were *****ing about him at the beginning of the season will be the same ones *****ing when we get only £45 million for him :-)

They were probably the same ones who wrote Mane off after 4 games because he couldn't stay on his feet...

I always think that Redmond is woefully under rated. If he was called Redmondinho, the press would be singing his praises. But no, he has been categorised (whether true or not) as a player that struggled to get into a relegated Norwich side and was laughed off (maybe rightly so) when his new manager said he was going to be Henry Mk2. I see quite a lot of similarities between him and Mr £50m Sterling, but I am not sure that I would have the £50m man over the £10m man. In fact if things carry on as they are, he really should replace him in the England squad, but we know that he won't due to the respective clubs.

Absolutely agree, I would have redmond everyday of the week, I think he is quaility. The same people who were *****ing about him at the beginning of the season will be the same ones *****ing when we get only £45 million for him :-)

They were probably the same ones who wrote Mane off after 4 games because he couldn't stay on his feet...

Passing the ball straight to the opposition shouldn't happen whoever you play, it's what this thread is for, opinions about the game.

Yet every player in every team have all done it at some point. Sh1t happens but apparently not allowed for Classie

Passing the ball straight to the opposition shouldn't happen whoever you play, it's what this thread is for, opinions about the game.

Yet every player in every team have all done it at some point. Sh1t happens but apparently not allowed for Classie

Puel is better than Koeman.

I think 'better' is a relative term. Not sure Puel will ever have the gravitas or charisma that RK had.

In many ways I think Puel has got a togetherness in the team and seems to be able to rotate seamlessly. He has shown a willingness to bring in younger players and seems to have a few more tactical ideas in the locker.

Early days, but he seems a better fit for us.

I think 'better' is a relative term. Not sure Puel will ever have the gravitas or charisma that RK had.

In many ways I think Puel has got a togetherness in the team and seems to be able to rotate seamlessly. He has shown a willingness to bring in younger players and seems to have a few more tactical ideas in the locker.

Early days, but he seems a better fit for us.

Without being a bedwetter Martina is not a premier league standard player, he has pretty much no football brain in regard to positioning, once again leaving man free before trying to resolve problem but too late 1v1. As long as he plays team will punish us down his side, Thursday night he spent 1st 30mins arguing with yoshida as both didn't know where they were supposed to be often resulting in no man's land, I love vvd but as like Thurs poor vision both resulting in goals, really need a rb in January

I do think Martina has not been at his best more recently summed up by the fact that in a world now where I haven't a clue what a foul throw is anymore he's been the only player I have seen pulled up twice for it!!!

Without being a bedwetter Martina is not a premier league standard player, he has pretty much no football brain in regard to positioning, once again leaving man free before trying to resolve problem but too late 1v1. As long as he plays team will punish us down his side, Thursday night he spent 1st 30mins arguing with yoshida as both didn't know where they were supposed to be often resulting in no man's land, I love vvd but as like Thurs poor vision both resulting in goals, really need a rb in January

I do think Martina has not been at his best more recently summed up by the fact that in a world now where I haven't a clue what a foul throw is anymore he's been the only player I have seen pulled up twice for it!!!

Rewatching the game, I'm horrified at the number of times City players deliberately stamped on ankles after a tackle, and all missed or ignored by Clattenburg. Each one could have been a straight red. Disgraceful.

Sent from my D6503 using Tapatalk

Really were dirty today. I remember a cynical swipe from behind which somehow escaped a booking as well as the Gundogan tackle that's been mentioned.

MOTD was right to highlight our composure launching counterattacks just now. Escaping that Guardiola press ain't easy but Romeu, Clasie and Hojbjerg all picked the right passes.

I might be wrong but I make it 3 foul throws for Martina now? Israel away, Citeh away, and a home game too, on the Itchen side?? Either way twice must be some sort of record, three is just ridiculous (he could have been pulled up three times today0 . And don't get me started on Forster's time wasting, embarrassing.

Great performance today and me of little faith was expecting a European hangover (much like the fans). It's certainly a measure of how far we've come that 6 points from the games at the San Siro and the Etihad wouldn't have been undeserved.

Now we face the classic not-quite-a-big-club dilemma, Sunderland and the chance to progress in a competition in which we we have as good a chance of anybody of a Wembley final and a trophy and Chelsea next Sunday who we would all love to beat and keep up our position pushing for the top 6.

In Claude we trust,

1-0

1-0 will do nicely.

Undoubtedly. Squad seems very together and players are improving.

RK was my favourite human being in first season but can't go back to that. Football is fickle but as optimistic as ever been as a Saints fan. Still don't really listen to Puel though but that is part of his charm. His Lyon experience might mean he will be here for a long time as well.

Let's judge after a season or two. Koeman did great for us.

Although young Targett may disagree.

Young anyone may disagree. I think puel is a better manager for saints, because youth is important to us, much happier with our academy again with puel in charge, and the academy is one of the best and most unique things about saints.

Undoubtedly. Squad seems very together and players are improving.

RK was my favourite human being in first season but can't go back to that. Football is fickle but as optimistic as ever been as a Saints fan. Still don't really listen to Puel though but that is part of his charm. His Lyon experience might mean he will be here for a long time as well.

The spirit is visibly excellent. And he's bringing on the youth. The balance of priorities seems better, and the style of play is becoming very attractive now the players "get it".

The man's had 9 games, let's not get ahead of ourselves!

It's funny isn't it. There were a fair few vocal folks questioning Puel who were told in no uncertain terms that it was ridiculous to judge a man on such a short period and yet now there are plenty calling him the new messiah just a few weeks on. But that's OK now.

For balance let's see how things are looking at the turn of the year. It's looking a lot brighter now though and long may that continue.

You seriously believe that? It's way too early to tell! Koeman was a great manager as proven by how well Everton have done doing good here was not just a fluke, still don't like the way he left though, especially with lying to the fans

Sent from my Moto G (4) using Tapatalk

Really were dirty today. I remember a cynical swipe from behind which somehow escaped a booking as well as the Gundogan tackle that's been mentioned.

Out of interest, how does retrospective action for foul play get instigated?

It seems to me to ge down to TV commentators and pundits drawing attention to it, which they strangely didn't in our match.

Can an aggrieved team ask for something to be looked at?

Although I do know that only incidents not seen by officials can be considered, so Clattenburg only has to say he did see and didn't think there was any foul play.

Sent from my D6503 using Tapatalk

Edited by Shroppie

Am I the only one fed up with the media coverage of yesterday's match. Radio 5 live 15 minute football round up discussed how poorly city played and whether there was a crisis there (for a team top of the league??). No mention who they actually played against or that Saints played really well. If that had been a Mourinho team against City yesterday it would have been described as a masterclass. I get the glamour teams have more attention but Saints are doing much more than just making up the numbers.

Am I the only one fed up with the media coverage of yesterday's match. Radio 5 live 15 minute football round up discussed how poorly city played and whether there was a crisis there (for a team top of the league??). No mention who they actually played against or that Saints played really well. If that had been a Mourinho team against City yesterday it would have been described as a masterclass. I get the glamour teams have more attention but Saints are doing much more than just making up the numbers.

We always play the big teams when they're having an off day, didn't you know?

The top teams know how good Southampton are and Chelsea will not be relishing coming to St Mary's this weekend.

I believe Puel is a better tactician than Koeman, but I think we're all missing the point. The thing that makes Southampton is the backroom staff. Yes we have a master tactician, but its more than that.

There's always one berk on here having a go at one player or another

You seriously believe that? It's way too early to tell! Koeman was a great manager as proven by how well Everton have done doing good here was not just a fluke, still don't like the way he left though, especially with lying to the fans

Sent from my Moto G (4) using Tapatalk

Oh yeah? What about his last four games? Losses to Bournemouth and Burnley. Draws with Crystal Palace and Man City, which should have been a loss if Man City had any penalty takers. Not very impressive at all for great manager.

After watching the full 90 on the OS you can see good reasons for the club to have bought Jordy Clasie and not just because in Koeman's time anyone Dutch or with Dutch connections was high on the radar. If you were to analyse the good things Jordy does against the not so good, I'm sure you'd come out on the positive side but the not so good moments stick in your mind after a game. Some of his play against Man City was exceptionally good but every now and then he makes an error or fails to capitalise on an opportunity which leaves you feeling disappointed. It seems to me that Jordy is an exceptionally talented player but one who could do better. I wonder to what extent there is one-to-one coaching of first team players because it seems to me that any player will sometimes benefit from advice given privately, outside the group.

It's funny isn't it. There were a fair few vocal folks questioning Puel who were told in no uncertain terms that it was ridiculous to judge a man on such a short period and yet now there are plenty calling him the new messiah just a few weeks on. But that's OK now.

That comes down to attitude - pessimism vs optimism. Negativity vs positivity. I think that most on here are just so bored of "pessimistic conjecture". "Optimistic conjecture" is much much easier to live with.

After watching the full 90 on the OS you can see good reasons for the club to have bought Jordy Clasie and not just because in Koeman's time anyone Dutch or with Dutch connections was high on the radar. If you were to analyse the good things Jordy does against the not so good, I'm sure you'd come out on the positive side but the not so good moments stick in your mind after a game. Some of his play against Man City was exceptionally good but every now and then he makes an error or fails to capitalise on an opportunity which leaves you feeling disappointed. It seems to me that Jordy is an exceptionally talented player but one who could do better. I wonder to what extent there is one-to-one coaching of first team players because it seems to me that any player will sometimes benefit from advice given privately, outside the group.

I think in the past couple of games something has changed with him, so something has possibly been said. Or add to the mix the comments from Harrison Reed, regarding Puel and him, after the Palace game has seen Harry rediscover his belief, and as a result beginning to push Clasie to up his game.

I can see Puel being one of those technical trainers who like Clive Woodward did with the England Rugby team looked to improve each player by 1% each training session.

This is so true. Having watched the game at the Etihad I remembered his booking, a few sloppy passes and 2 wild shots. Then watching the 90 minutes on the website I realized how hard he worked and that he had a solid game.

I can see Puel being one of those technical trainers who like Clive Woodward did with the England Rugby team looked to improve each player by 1% each training session.

Aggregation of marginal gains! Works for British Cycling/Team Sky. Been using similar ideas in 1 to 1 academic coaching at work.