Virgil Transfer Rumours - Summer 17

wild-saint

Holding out for the best deal is not 'caving' in. It's obvious he was/is going (who really wants a player worth £70m+ sat in the stands until the next window? Who replaces a player [Hoedt] but doesn't actually sell the player being replaced!?) All the club have done is hold firm to get the deal that they're happy with.

You do spout off somewhat! He has not been sold to date, there has been no bids, we have stated he is not for sale, we also stated that Hoedt was bought in to play alongside VVD. Yet here we have Egg building himself up into a 'i'm in the know' frenzy, without a shred of proof. Lets wait until tomorrow.

It's inevitable as we always sell and if there's a risk he won't play for months it would be stupid not to.

It probably would be stupid yes but I don't think he'll be moving on this window, it's too late and I don't think we've had any really serious bids up to now. We know that Liverpool want him but that's complicated, as for the others, well they've probably been put off by a combination of his deplorable stance and the amont of money we seem to be wanting. Other clubs will let him (and us) stew a while and then see what they really need in January.

It would be stupid to say no for all of the transfer window and " cave" in on the last day...

Have we ever done this before.... not to my knowledge or memory

What's stupid about it? If VVD stays the club wins, if he goes you know someone is desperate enough to put down silly money. That's also a win.

Plus you made your point to future players who might want to get out. It doesn't sound stupid to me at all.

The main argument about not selling is a point of principle, to put down a marker that we won't be bullied by players and agents. That matters, so it would be stupid to sell today.

Is it? I thought that the main argument for not selling was to keep a supposedly world class player playing for SFC and improving the team. Secondary to that is what you put as the primary reason.

Is it? I thought that the main argument for not selling was to keep a supposedly world class player playing for SFC and improving the team. Secondary to that is what you put as the primary reason.
To be able to keep players, which I agree is the objective, you have to first win this battle of principle.

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

If we wanted the best deal we should have made it clear we were open to offers and got City, Arsenal, Chelsea etc. dipping their toes as well. You don't wait until the last minute where the logistics and financials of doing a deal are challenging.

Disagree. 1. Supply and demand. 2. If we say that we're open for business we'll never get as good a deal as we could if desperate buyers come to us. 3. If any club wanted him they'll come to us expressing interest. The way you put suggests that clubs only make offers when a player is being actively marketed. That's ridiculous. 4. Certain clubs will have become more desperate as the window opened up. Arsenal will be desperate for reinforcements at the back. Do you not think that they'll be willing to pay more now for a CB than they were before the season? We're putty in their hands and that buyer competition is to out advantage. This is business, not fantasy football.

Disagree. 1. Supply and demand. 2. If we say that we're open for business we'll never get as good a deal as we could if desperate buyers come to us. 3. If any club wanted him they'll come to us expressing interest. The way you put suggests that clubs only make offers when a player is being actively marketed. That's ridiculous. 4. Certain clubs will have become more desperate as the window opened up. Arsenal will be desperate for reinforcements at the back. Do you not think that they'll be willing to pay more now for a CB than they were before the season? We're putty in their hands and that buyer competition is to out advantage. This is business, not fantasy football.

I think you have a poor understanding of business to be honest.

To be able to keep players, which I agree is the objective, you have to first win this battle of principle.

I guess it is semantics really. But whichever way you look at it, those advocating vD move, Liverpool, his agent and many others are just treating SFC as if they have reached their limit and that it is impossible for a club of our size to go any further and that it is only the Big 6 + maybe Everton (who I suspect will finish above Arsenal unless something extraordinary happens today) that can ever finish at the top. That may well be the case, but few seem to question the whole competition if that is the case. They seem to reassure themselves that it is all good, because we have 6 or 7 clubs at the top, unlike so many other leagues like Spain, Germany, France and Italy.

I think that is an accurate summary.

Hoedt arguably being better than yoshi and Stephens is not the point. It's about replacements and the squad. We didn't buy Hoedt to have him, Stephens, yoshi, Gardos, Bednarek, VVD (or yet another replacement) in a 25 man squad. That's 6 Cb's on the payroll. Put them and 3 keepers in the squad and we've only got 16 places for fullbacks, midfielders and attackers. Hoedt has come in to replace VVD who will leave today.

Hoedt arguably being better than yoshi and Stephens is not the point. It's about replacements and the squad. We didn't buy Hoedt to have him, Stephens, yoshi, Gardos, Bednarek, VVD (or yet another replacement) in a 25 man squad. That's 6 Cb's on the payroll. Put them and 3 keepers in the squad and we've only got 16 places for fullbacks, midfielders and attackers. Hoedt has come in to replace VVD who will leave today.

I don't disagree that he is VVD's replacement I am however willing to put my neck out and say we have told VVD we will accept bids either in Jan or next year and get on with it.

I don't think the board will back down this window as it will massively undermine them.

I think you have a poor understanding of business to be honest.

What a well considered reply. Feel free to explain why, for example, we're not better placed to get a better deal with arsenal now than before they sat just above the bottom 3 and look utterly sh:te in defence.

I don't disagree that he is VVD's replacement I am however willing to put my neck out and say we have told VVD we will accept bids either in Jan or next year and get on with it.

I don't think the board will back down this window as it will massively undermine them.

Let's see what happens today.

Gardos and Bedarnek probably won't make the 25. And why did we say Hoedt had been bought to play alongside Van Dijk?

You really are peddling b0ll0cks.

So VVD is at Staplewood training, and not as reported yesterday, on a 4 day break?

On Sky:

09:31

SOUTHAMPTON UPDATE

Jane Dougall is our reporter at Southampton’s training base. Virgil Van Dijk is there, too.

“Virgil Van Dijk has arrived for training this morning but he drove through a back gate, presumably to avoid the cameras who are here waiting to see if he’ll stay here or not.

“He’s been training every single day, we’ve been told, but on his own. That follows him handing in a transfer request earlier this month. Vice Chairman Les Reed has even said he would be alongside new players coming in to the club.

“Recently-appointed manager Mauricio Pellegrino has been saying he is not for sale but also not available to play. It’s been reiterated to me this morning that even a late bid comes in for Van Dijk it will be flatly turned down.”

So, nothing to see here. Moving on...

What's stupid about it? If VVD stays the club wins, if he goes you know someone is desperate enough to put down silly money. That's also a win.

And if he stays and refuses to play, or plays crap, that's a loss. If he plays and suffers another injury reducing his market values, that's also a loss.

Looks like he IS staying and we are backing ourselves to get him focused to play well for us.

What a well considered reply. Feel free to explain why, for example, we're not better placed to get a better deal with arsenal now than before they sat just above the bottom 3 and look utterly sh:te in defence.
Because we're not looking for any deal.

On Sky:

09:31

SOUTHAMPTON UPDATE

Jane Dougall is our reporter at Southampton’s training base. Virgil Van Dijk is there, too.

“Virgil Van Dijk has arrived for training this morning but he drove through a back gate, presumably to avoid the cameras who are here waiting to see if he’ll stay here or not.

“He’s been training every single day, we’ve been told, but on his own. That follows him handing in a transfer request earlier this month. Vice Chairman Les Reed has even said he would be alongside new players coming in to the club.

“Recently-appointed manager Mauricio Pellegrino has been saying he is not for sale but also not available to play. It’s been reiterated to me this morning that even a late bid comes in for Van Dijk it will be flatly turned down.”

So, nothing to see here. Moving on...

Thought he was training with the U23s now? As per the photo last week?

It's almost as if no-one outside the club really knows what is going on....but is trying to look like they do.

Gardos and Bedarnek probably won't make the 25. And why did we say Hoedt had been bought to play alongside Van Dijk?

You really are peddling b0ll0cks.

Let's assume you're right and bednarek and Gardos don't make the 25. Let's also assume that vvd continuous strop which is a real possibility if he stays. Let's also assume one of the others gets suspended or injured. We're then fecked. And you say I'm talking b0ll0cks.

It's almost as if no-one outside the club really knows what is going on....but is trying to look like they do.

I don't know. You could be right.

It's a convoluted mess which will become clearer eventually.

Speculation is fun, although it does set the nerves on edge.

Let's assume you're right and bednarek and Gardos don't make the 25. Let's also assume that vvd continuous strop which is a real possibility if he stays. Let's also assume one of the others gets suspended or injured. We're then fecked. And you say I'm talking b0ll0cks.
Why are we? Bertrand can play left of centre in a 3.

Targett is better there as wing back.

Worked well for Koeman.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

bednarek counts as a youth player doesn't he? So not counted towards the 25.

He is staying I'm told. No acceptable bids are expected today. Be interesting too see how this plays out over the next few weeks and months.

Expect one incoming to get over the line today.

Happy Transfer deadline day

He is staying I'm told. No acceptable bids are expected today. Be interesting too see how this plays out over the next few weeks and months.

Thanks. Hope you're right. Incoming loan or buy? Prospect or established?

Playing devils advocate, it does not rule out getting an unexpected acceptable bid :) Hoping the Board stays strong

Playing devils advocate, it does not rule out getting an unexpected acceptable bid :) Hoping the Board stays strong

Yes you are right it is never over until the fat lady sings which is a colloquialism which is often used as a proverb. It means that one should not presume to know the outcome of an event which is still in progress. More specifically, the phrase is used when a situation is (or appears to be) nearing its conclusion. It cautions against assuming that the current state of an event is irreversible and clearly determines how or when the event will end. The phrase is most commonly used in association with organized competitions, particularly sports.

Well if he arrived at 9.30 that would be about right as the players train in the morning.

If he was training alone, as supposedly was happening a few weeks ago, he would have been there this afternoon I would have thought as we were led to believe he wasn't there when other players were training.

As discussed many times betting odds are largely irrelevant in these matters as it only takes a few tenners to shift the market hugely, HOWEVER.....things are different on Betfair and the fact that in the last few minutes somebody has put £500 up to back him to stay at odds on suggests they at least think they know (!) he is staying....

As discussed many times betting odds are largely irrelevant in these matters as it only takes a few tenners to shift the market hugely, HOWEVER.....things are different on Betfair and the fact that in the last few minutes somebody has put £500 up to back him to stay at odds on suggests they at least think they know (!) he is staying....

What evidence is there that he is not staying

Everyone's entitled to their opinion, even opinions that are baseless and illogical. Good management does not involve making unenforceable promises of what you will do at some future date when you don't know what the facts will be at that time. Every player on the books could be sold in January or next year but we have been told it is now club policy only to sell players they want to sell. Personally, I support this club, have done for a very long time, and I prefer to believe that it is honest in the statements it makes to the supporters. My opinion isn't worth much either but it is that VVD will only be sold if at some time in the next 5 years, the club decide it is in their interests to do so.

None - but that doesn't mean there isn't/hasn't been considerable uncertainty as proved by the fact yours was the 8647th post on the matter....

There does not seem to be much uncertainty to me SFC have said VVD is not for sale and there have been no bids