Virgil Transfer Rumours - Summer 17

wild-saint

Plane tracking wind ups, sense of entitlement, VVD is coming, VVD isn't coming, how dare we not let VVD leave, sense of entitlement, if VVD comes it'll be their year (again).

3 and out ;-)

Sooner or later they need to start asking questions of their club. It must be frustrating not to land your big target when he wants to come but there's no excuse for leaving that position unfilled. They desperately need a centre half, even if it's not Van Dijk.

I'm not surprised really as whilst it's used as an all encompassing insult it sits uneasily with me as Hillsborough could have been any of us that were going to matches at that time.

And let's not forget that the city of Liverpool and the fans of LFC were the victims of smears and of a state cover up for the events of that day and that they fought tirelessly for justice for those who died and I for one, despite my visceral dislike of the dippers, admire them greatly for fighting on when all said it was time to quit.

I only really started hearing the 'victims' tag, especially on social media, after their actions following the Suarez/Evra affair.

Sooner or later they need to start asking questions of their club. It must be frustrating not to land your big target when he wants to come but there's no excuse for leaving that position unfilled. They desperately need a centre half, even if it's not Van Dijk.

Well if Coutinho doesn't leave and Ox arrives the dippers will be pretty awesome going forward but keystone cops at the back. I love forward to our 4-5 victory at Anfield.

Oh good, an ITK from Reddit, of all places, has posted this

Right. A bit of a yarn here so take with a huge cup of salt. Just got of the blower to my mate...

VVD to LFC was concluded a few days ago (£75m straight up)

VVD medical completed yesterday, player back at Southampton now

We will announce transfer at 6pm tomorrow due to Southampton's request

Southampton will shortly after announce the signings of Theo Walcott and Luciano Vietto (last minute signings to appease the fans that they have spent some of the money from VVD sale straightaway)

We must have some pretty damning evidence if they have to wait for us to ask them to bid. Seeing as tapping up is rife & a blind eye pretty much turned over and over again, somebody has seriously ****ed up their end.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Seems that way, but we'll be taking someone's money for him and if they're offering more than anyone else I've got no doubt that we'll take it, and agree not to pursue a tapping up case.

Why? Links in with what Tom28 said?

2 incoming attackers, one big one should we let him go?

Given the choice between keeping a sulking VVD to the end of the season putting in potentially half arsed performances and signing Walcott and Vietto I know what I'd do. Sadly I can't see Arse selling Theo or us being able to make him an attractive enough offer.

Being stated by MaxiITK on twitter that vvd to Lfc has been done for days and that we have asked Lfc to keep it quiet until late on deadline day. Also that our media are all over it and that our Board have been saying vvd is not for sale to appease our fans (which is ridiculous because the longer it goes on surely the angrier we will be if he does go to Lfc) Interesting thing for me was when Pellegrino said that we could sign players as good players are on the move after there were noises that we wouldn't bring anyone in - this could mean that the vvd transfer was in progress. Hope all this is rubbish ....

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I am sticking with the prediction that he's staying. I also think the club have handled this brilliantly if he does (but appallingly if he now goes to Liverpool on deadline day!)

If he does stay, which I both hope and predict, this is a total shambles by Liverpool. Had they acted differently and legally, I'm sure they could have got him. Their screw up could cost them very dearly given the weakness of their defence. Maybe the Ox can play centre back? ;-)

Arsenal letting Sanchez, Chamberlain and Theo leave in the same window is not going to happen.

yeah, I agree sadly. Although they do seem like the club most in meltdown.

Tragedy is that Theo would be a great fit back at Saints, for him, the club and the fans, but despite that, the vagaries of modern football make it vanishingly unlikely it could happen.

The fellow who broke the original Theo to Saints in part exchange for VVD story then scoffed his own rumour by reporting that it was a non-starter because he wanted £180k per week and we would only offer £130k. I can't see us offering him £130k PW.

Arsenal were reportedly looking to shed some players this summer to control their wage bill in an effort to re-sign big earners like Ozil while still complying with the PL's salary cap system. Theo has a contract until 2019 according to Transfermarkt. He's been a bit part player with them so far this season. Those speak in favour of him going somewhere I suppose, and also potentially Raheem Stirling going to Arsenal in exchange for Sanchez. Not much else does, especially in light of all the other players who have left Arsenal or are on their way out. Things aren't looking too great for the gunners right now.

Why? Links in with what Tom28 said?

2 incoming attackers, one big one should we let him go?

Didn't see Tom28 post. I'd let VVD go anyway, and have always that he would with Liverpool the destination. I expected an attacker or a 10 to come in as the sweetener. If Theo was coming and we got someone to play a bit deeper I'd be delighted. However, arsenal losing theo and the ox in the same window seems odd.

Edited by egg

Bournemouth Airport less than an hour drive from the Saints’ stadium Not forgetting Southampton airport which is 5 minutes from the stadium.

And trust me, he wasn't at Hearn, never has been and probably never will be in the next week. And I had to check with the man on the doors for this.

Edited by Secret Site Agent
did post yesterday

Being stated by MaxiITK on twitter that vvd to Lfc has been done for days and that we have asked Lfc to keep it quiet until late on deadline day. Also that our media are all over it and that our Board have been saying vvd is not for sale to appease our fans (which is ridiculous because the longer it goes on surely the angrier we will be if he does go to Lfc) Interesting thing for me was when Pellegrino said that we could sign players as good players are on the move after there were noises that we wouldn't bring anyone in - this could mean that the vvd transfer was in progress. Hope all this is rubbish ....

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Someone actually has ITK has part of their twitter handle? How thick are they?

I'm not surprised really as whilst it's used as an all encompassing insult it sits uneasily with me as Hillsborough could have been any of us that were going to matches at that time.

And let's not forget that the city of Liverpool and the fans of LFC were the victims of smears and of a state cover up for the events of that day and that they fought tirelessly for justice for those who died and I for one, despite my visceral dislike of the dippers, admire them greatly for fighting on when all said it was time to quit.

Spot on mush, i can't stand their club and the plastic dippers that follow them, but i have a lot of respect for their fans that fought to turn over a cover up from a disgusting tory government that treated football fans as criminals and generation after generation smeared families to hide their own corruption.

A little bit of philosophising. Take it or leave it. Because they are good at football, we tend to overlook that top players are, in the main, still young men and that many of them have limited life experience. An ability to show good judgement and take reliable decisions comes with greater maturity but for quite a few players that doesn't happen until their playing career is over. In the average workplace, people the age of football players would still be in junior roles not yet trusted to do anything really important. With life-changing riches available at such a young age it's understandable that some struggle to handle the decision making and become commodities for agents who are far wiser in the ways of the World. However, club executives are also experienced in dealing with these situations and will do what they believe is best for their club. With all that has happened at Southampton FC since the club reached the Premier League, surely anyone would concede that our executives have certainly gained experience. Although some fans will disagree with some decisions, overall the club has achieved a lot for one not based in any of the big cities.

The Van Dijk saga must have been a surprise to our board, because he had been tied down by the club's long contract policy. It was made worse by opportunism from the Media dropping in the names of the big clubs that they use to help sell newspapers or TV advertising. That the player was not for sale was made clear at the outset and was repeated, and we can be sure it was made clear to the player. But at 25, he is still a young man and he can be forgiven if his inexperience of life outside football led him to be influenced by people with their own motivations.

The reality is that Southampton could keep him for another three years and when his contract has two years to run could sell him on at the age of 29 for a decent fee if he was still performing well. Alternatively, given that he cost the club a relatively modest fee, they could let him run his contract down until he is 31 and let him go on a free after 7 years of service. If he has been told to report for training on Monday and is allowed to rejoin the first team squad this whole episode could be put down to his inexperience and, perhaps, gullibility. Obviously, it's still in his hands to continue the fight but to do so begins to look like a futile course. For his own sake, as well as the club's, hopefully he will see where his best interests lie.

A little bit of philosophising. Take it or leave it. Because they are good at football, we tend to overlook that top players are, in the main, still young men and that many of them have limited life experience. An ability to show good judgement and take reliable decisions comes with greater maturity but for quite a few players that doesn't happen until their playing career is over. In the average workplace, people the age of football players would still be in junior roles not yet trusted to do anything really important. With life-changing riches available at such a young age it's understandable that some struggle to handle the decision making and become commodities for agents who are far wiser in the ways of the World. However, club executives are also experienced in dealing with these situations and will do what they believe is best for their club. With all that has happened at Southampton FC since the club reached the Premier League, surely anyone would concede that our executives have certainly gained experience. Although some fans will disagree with some decisions, overall the club has achieved a lot for one not based in any of the big cities.

The Van Dijk saga must have been a surprise to our board, because he had been tied down by the club's long contract policy. It was made worse by opportunism from the Media dropping in the names of the big clubs that they use to help sell newspapers or TV advertising. That the player was not for sale was made clear at the outset and was repeated, and we can be sure it was made clear to the player. But at 25, he is still a young man and he can be forgiven if his inexperience of life outside football led him to be influenced by people with their own motivations.

The reality is that Southampton could keep him for another three years and when his contract has two years to run could sell him on at the age of 29 for a decent fee if he was still performing well. Alternatively, given that he cost the club a relatively modest fee, they could let him run his contract down until he is 31 and let him go on a free after 7 years of service. If he has been told to report for training on Monday and is allowed to rejoin the first team squad this whole episode could be put down to his inexperience and, perhaps, gullibility. Obviously, it's still in his hands to continue the fight but to do so begins to look like a futile course. For his own sake, as well as the club's, hopefully he will see where his best interests lie.

Good post Prof.

I'm 47 now, but still as stupid as I was when I was 25.

I would be very happy to get Walcott plus Ath Madrid player in and VVD gone for sure.

Would prefer VVD to Arsenal rather than Liverpool.

This would mean having three new players to join an already strong squad.

I expect Long will be gone too for 18m for the toons.

Yeah right. So tell us more about Heysel. Don't hear much about that one from the scousers hey?

How does that, in any way, dilute what happened at Hillsborough? How does that sit alongside ineptitude, lies, cover ups, perjury and death. Are you suggesting one gravely awful event dilutes the need for consideration of another?

GuillemBalague saying Liverpool are still going for VVD, i think we are going to cave in.

It's inevitable as we always sell and if there's a risk he won't play for months it would be stupid not to.

It would be stupid to say no for all of the transfer window and " cave" in on the last day...

Have we ever done this before.... not to my knowledge or memory

We need a poll. End of day he is......

SFC

Liverpool

Arsenal

Chelsea

Man City

Chelsea, with a quite good but relatively unknown/unplayed midfielder coming our way.

Really, really, really don't care either way now, we should have sold 2 months ago and bought two starting level players with the money.

It's inevitable as we always sell and if there's a risk he won't play for months it would be stupid not to.
GuillemBalague saying Liverpool are still going for VVD, i think we are going to cave in.

It's bedwetters' day.

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

He doesn't really say that at all - he says Barcelona think they fact Liverpool are signing Ox and in talks about Lemar/VVD means they would be open to selling Coutinho, but then says Liverpool are not entertaining selling him.

It's bedwetters' day.

Not really bedwetting when you say it would be stupid not to sell is it? Would completely understand if we did sell but would be disappointed we hadn't done it earlier and reinvested a bit.

It would be stupid to say no for all of the transfer window and " cave" in on the last day...

Have we ever done this before.... not to my knowledge or memory

Holding out for the best deal is not 'caving' in. It's obvious he was/is going (who really wants a player worth £70m+ sat in the stands until the next window? Who replaces a player [Hoedt] but doesn't actually sell the player being replaced!?) All the club have done is hold firm to get the deal that they're happy with.

Holding out for the best deal is not 'caving' in. It's obvious he was/is going (who really wants a player worth £70m+ sat in the stands until the next window? Who replaces a player [Hoedt] but doesn't actually sell the player being replaced!?) All the club have done is hold firm to get the deal that they're happy with.

OK then :rolleyes:.... but nothing obvious to me...

Hoedt is, hopefully, an upgrade on Stephens and Yoshida.

I think you're talking ********.

If we wanted the best deal we should have made it clear we were open to offers and got City, Arsenal, Chelsea etc. dipping their toes as well. You don't wait until the last minute where the logistics and financials of doing a deal are challenging.

Not really bedwetting when you say it would be stupid not to sell is it? Would completely understand if we did sell but would be disappointed we hadn't done it earlier and reinvested a bit.
The main argument about not selling is a point of principle, to put down a marker that we won't be bullied by players and agents. That matters, so it would be stupid to sell today.