Virgil Transfer Rumours - Summer 17

wild-saint

Andy Hunter on the Guardian's transfer page reckons that Saints are so far standing firm in refusing to sell VVD to Liverpool.

That's the consensus for everyone besides the fans. If we were going to sell we'd have started softening the ground by now.

Yeh, someone mentioned earlier in the thread that it could be him. Owns a property near Ringwood. Very feasible, and likely, that it was him. A choice of spending the bank holiday weekend on the Mersey or on the sunny South Coast...

My wife works with a very close family member of his, so I've given her the mission of finding out if he was home for the weekend.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The club are in a difficult position, I wouldn't criticise them if they sold or kept him - without knowing all the facts it's impossible to say what the right thing to do is.

If we flog the scumbag and get a shed load of cash it's good, if we keep hold of him and get him playing it's good.

I can't see him ever playing for us again tbh, but it's a difficult situation. Liverpool are obviously the only club willing to stump up the cash that we want. If it means we'll strengthen the team attacking wise by selling him then great but if we're not going to reinvest then what's the point.

Can we really hold a £60m asset who isn't contributing?

For all the bravado, I'm not sure what that really achieves.

That said, if we sell now we should have just sold in May and then could have avoided this charade all summer and had an increased budget.

If we stick to him being not for sale for months that that has to remain the position now.

Don't understand this type of thinking he's not contributing because he's trying to get what he wants, once the window shuts he will have to knuckle down and play. What's the worst that can happen by holding him? He's not suddenly gonna be only worth 20m next year or the year after for that matter.

Also don't understand the people getting so angry with him... News flash majority of our players that get tapped up by the likes of scousers are gonna do this in the future.. players are happy to be here until something better comes along.

This is our chance to make a stand and not let the players throwing toys out of their pram to get what they want like lallana and wanyama did, if we back down now any one that wants to leave simply has to throw a strop and weak saints will cave in.

What's the worst that can happen by holding him?

Well a disenfranchised Captain who drags down the morale of the team is never a good thing and then there's recurrent injury risk, can always wind up another JRod after one thing goes because it puts stress on all the others.

But as others have pointed out given that this is a WC year there's a good chance he'll be on his best behavior...

Don't understand this type of thinking he's not contributing because he's trying to get what he wants, once the window shuts he will have to knuckle down and play. What's the worst that can happen by holding him? He's not suddenly gonna be only worth 20m next year or the year after for that matter.

Also don't understand the people getting so angry with him... News flash majority of our players that get tapped up by the likes of scousers are gonna do this in the future.. players are happy to be here until something better comes along.

This is our chance to make a stand and not let the players throwing toys out of their pram to get what they want like lallana and wanyama did, if we back down now any one that wants to leave simply has to throw a strop and weak saints will cave in.

This. This. And with a cherry of so much THIS on top.

Well a disenfranchised Captain who drags down the morale of the team is never a good thing and then there's recurrent injury risk, can always wind up another JRod after one thing goes because it puts stress on all the others.

But as others have pointed out given that this is a WC year there's a good chance he'll be on his best behavior...

Until France beat them and they don't qualify...

This is our chance to make a stand and not let the players throwing toys out of their pram to get what they want like lallana and wanyama did, if we back down now any one that wants to leave simply has to throw a strop and weak saints will cave in.[/QUOTE]

I agree but I wonder how players will react to the prospect of signing 5 - 6 year contract in future?? Now they are easy to sign as they are easy to break, the player gets security but doesn't have to offer anything back.

This is our chance to make a stand and not let the players throwing toys out of their pram to get what they want like lallana and wanyama did, if we back down now any one that wants to leave simply has to throw a strop and weak saints will cave in.[/QUOTE]

I agree but I wonder how players will react to the prospect of signing 5 - 6 year contract in future?? Now they are easy to sign as they are easy to break, the player gets security but doesn't have to offer anything back.

Everyone knows that a six year contact will mean they have to stay a minimum of two seasons. Vvd should have realised that when he signed the contract.

I think people are placing too much on the world cup year point. There's a reasonable chance Holland won't qualify, but regardless of that there's apparently another £5m a year on offer at Liverpool and I'm sensing money will talk.

In terms of us, I agree with your point re what's the worst that could happen if he stays. Add to that we'll be spending circa £2 million in wages between now and January, and a squad place taken by someone who may not play.

Also makes you wonder why vvd didn't stipulate a release clause for whatever fee if a big club came in? Not saying this is a good thing but if he wanted this why sign a long deal without it?

None of us know what's in that contract re moving on and/or any side agreement. There may be nothing but who knows.

None of us know what's in that contract re moving on and/or any side agreement. There may be nothing but who knows.

Likely the agent would have been leaking it to the press if there was anything I'm sure the media would have been all over that and we always hear about other players clauses.. instead all we get from the media is the same two month old click bait rubbish we have been reading all summer. Maybe this is one of the reasons his old agent got the bullet, that he was advised to signing a long deal he couldn't get out of??.

Also makes you wonder why vvd didn't stipulate a release clause for whatever fee if a big club came in? Not saying this is a good thing but if he wanted this why sign a long deal without it?
I've no way of knowing for sure, but I've read more than once that Saints will not do release clauses.

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

Signing a six year contract at Saints means you've agreed to stay for a minimum of two years rather a minimum of one. Not sure which part of that Virgil van Thyck didn't understand.

Personally I'd have no problem with release fees in future star player contracts (Neymar had one FFS) - as long as the fee was ambitiously high and it wasn't kept secret from the fans.

Signing a six year contract at Saints means you've agreed to stay for a minimum of two years rather a minimum of one. Not sure which part of that Virgil van Thyck didn't understand.

Personally I'd have no problem with release fees in future star player contracts (Neymar had one FFS) - as long as the fee was ambitiously high and it wasn't kept secret from the fans.

So what's this rule about a 6 year contract meaning 2? So is a 4 year really 1? What about 5?

I would have a problem with release Clauses. You can't legislate for, say someone like Kyle Walker suddenly being worth 53 million and a sudden escalation of value.

Those in the tinfoil hats and tracksuits now apparently realising they skipped work to watch planes for no reason...:mcinnes:

I do like the obligatory phtoshopped twitter goodbye to Saints fans. Also the airport has been put on security alert tomorrow so that's nice.

Can it please be Friday already.

Indeed. I for one CANNOT WAIT to buy my lukewarm hotdog from the man himself next Saturday.

I'd have him washing the other players cars on match day afternoons. Then charge fans £10 to chuck rotten fruit at him. That should make up for any loss of value next season when we sell him.

I would have a problem with release Clauses. You can't legislate for, say someone like Kyle Walker suddenly being worth 53 million and a sudden escalation of value.

There is a way to do this by tying value to other players in the market, for example player's final value shall be the greater of Xm or the average of the last 3 players at his position to be sold during Y period.

I anticipate the team's new contracts to be much more sophisticated as the general counsel has switched this past September.

So the Liverpool supporters have been getting all excited about VVD over the last few days without any evidence Saints have changed their position re selling VVD to them.

All we have seen recently is Liverpool's usual tricks of briefing pet journos such as James Pearce at the Liverpool Echo about their interest in him and the amounts they're willing to pay, presumably in an effort to ratchet up the pressure on Saints or to keep VVD keen in case Chelsea or Arsenal come calling for him. Aside from that it's all just fake Twitter ITKs, doctored e-mails about fake scheduled medicals and some form of mass hysteria concerning private jets and silver Mercedes people carriers.

11 p.m. on Thursday can not come soon enough.

Lol at the pu55ies on here. All big hard keyboard warriors ragging on les for years for selling our stars and now he's said no they're losing their minds demanding he sells asap so not to upset the player, current players or any potential future players. Grow a set you shower of fannies.

The answer to that is a very dark place. The curse of a free bar. I'm better today, thanks for asking.

Anyway, update I got yesterday is I gather that the reports of a done deal to Liverpool are wide of the mark. However, it's certainly more likely that VVD will leave now than it was 7-10 days ago. But no deal has been agreed with any club.

We are pursuing two transfer strategies. The first is no club meets the valuation and VvD stays and we sign one of the two players I've mentioned before. The second is we sell VVD and sign a high profile attacking player and I understand we've made moves to do that. I haven't been told any names. Would still sign the other player and then look to send an attacking player out on loan.

There's a little more information I have but can't share it yet.

Expect another update later today.

Update time!

According to Bascombe in the Telegraph:

"...relations between the Anfield and Southampton hierarchy are cordial. Liverpool will not make any unsolicited bids for the player. Southampton could decide to do business with someone else, but Liverpool are prepared to outbid any rival if invited and recognise it would cost a minimum of £70m to recruit the Dutch defender. Securing Van Dijk would require a sensitive diplomatic mission as much as a change of position from Southampton."

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/football/2017/08/29/liverpool-hope-spend-140million-final-days-transfer-window/

Lol at the pu55ies on here. All big hard keyboard warriors ragging on les for years for selling our stars and now he's said no they're losing their minds demanding he sells asap so not to upset the player, current players or any potential future players. Grow a set you shower of fannies.

Absolutely this.

Complete set of cry-babies on here, wetting their knickers about everything, no matter what the club does.

Update time!

The update is that Van Dijk remains a Saint. He's going nowhere. No one has bid for him and he's not for sale.

Edit: although having just read the Telegraph article my backbone may have just broke... The article does hint at a softening stance from Saints... Balls!!!

Absolutely this.

Complete set of cry-babies on here, wetting their knickers about everything, no matter what the club does.

The reality is that barely anyone has been as you describe. The main fannies are the ones screeching like hysterical tarts because some people are discussing the vvd situation. People have different views about selling or not selling him shock horror. It's a forum, people look at things in different ways.

The reality is that barely anyone has been as you describe. The main fannies are the ones screeching like hysterical tarts because some people are discussing the vvd situation. People have different views about selling or not selling him shock horror. It's a forum, people look at things in different ways.

Exactly.

I suppose the situation is we are using VVD as a carrot to get the best deal for the club.

Options:

(1) Arsenal bid 50m plus Walcott or Lazzette (We've got funds for another exciting player)

(2) Chelsea bid 50m plus Remy (Got funds for another exciting player)

(3) Liverpool offer 70m (Gives us the extra money to purchases two great players elsewhere)

(4) Purchasing the one/two great players we want elsewhere is proving difficult so do I sell VVD to Chelsea/Arsenal/Liverpool as the fans won't be happy.

(5) Let's keep VVD and hope he does not continue to sulk and strike and let's get that cheap striker/winger in.

Basically - VVD goes we get two players in.

If he stays we buy a cheapish striker/winger.

If VVD goes, it is too late for us to complete a deal with the money.

Maybe we are already about to sign a new £20m player, but the idea that this would be triggered - and only triggered - if there's a last minute sale of Virgil is hard to credit.

The only obvious exception to this would be a makeweight in the deal (e.g. VVD goes to club X and player Y joins us from club X).