Virgil Transfer Rumours - Summer 17

wild-saint

Doesn't look any slower to me - Shane Long is older and hasn't lost a step. Never mind in other sports that rely on pace, professionals these days can play well into their 30s.

Fair point. Yep, Long is a good example of someone who hasn't lost any significant pace into their 30s.

Doesn't look any slower to me - Shane Long is older and hasn't lost a step. Never mind in other sports that rely on pace, professionals these days can play well into their 30s.

His final delivery hasn't improved massively. But he's a good lad and plays with heart. Need more of them

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

His final delivery hasn't improved massively. But he's a good lad and plays with heart. Need more of them

he scored 19 in 37 last season. A fair few of that 37 would have been as sub (or subbed off)

that is hero status at saints if someone did that

# Devil's advocate klaxon #

As much as I'd like to see Theo back at St.Mary's, am I alone in thinking that, at the ripe old age of 28, his best days are now behind him? Obviously, if he was a goalkeeper, central defender, holding midfielder or a Rickie Lambert-esque target man, I'd be quite rightly accused of talking out of my hat, as players in those positions can be in their prime in their late 20s/early 30s. However, Theo's primary attribute has always been his speed, but speed is very much a young man's game. Is Trousers talking nonsense here, just for a change, or could the old SWF stalwart have a valid point this time?

Yes, I've had the same thought but he will have vast experience and Premiership know-how and he is still sharp in front of goal, and still quicker than anyone we've got now--so I would go for him, happily and anyway Yoshi is doing a great job and Jack is one of our own so let VVD go, we'll be better off

Yes, I've had the same thought but he will have vast experience and Premiership know-how and he is still sharp in front of goal, and still quicker than anyone we've got now--so I would go for him, happily and anyway Yoshi is doing a great job and Jack is one of our own so let VVD go, we'll be better off

Plymouth fans would disagree (and probably Jack himself)

The crux of the matter is we need to spend serious money on players that will improve us. I am not sure there are many players available that will improve us, happy to not play European football and will fit our wage structure - certainly not this late in the window.

We actually have a lad who we have contracted to do all of the above. He should get his head down and play for a move in Jan or next Summer.

Its not that, our model has become very risk averse.

We came up and immediately signed players so our squad was the best of the championship - Morgan, Clyne, Lallana, Lambert, Fonte etc etc. That is directly what all our success stemmed from.

But we have thrown it out the window and gone already are the days where we used to have a core of talented, driven and energetic players used to english football.

We aren't even linked with championship players, when the simple fact is we should be all over players like Ryan Sessegnon, Cariney, knockaert, brown etc. Its actually very poor from the club and we have completley lost our "way". Even Poch played gallagher, and will finish better than both Puel and Pellegrino... And whilst you need the addition of some foreign class (Wanyama, Mane, VVD etc.), the core should remain as a progressive and energetic squad, who are used to the tempo and aggression of english footy.

Right now, saints have zero identity. And that is why we are struggling.

Its not that, our model has become very risk averse.

We came up and immediately signed players so our squad was the best of the championship - Morgan, Clyne, Lallana, Lambert, Fonte etc etc. That is directly what all our success stemmed from.

We didn't sign any of those players when we went up to the Championship. None of them.

I reckon he's staying. The club/Ralph have been pretty adamant on this. They could have left themselves a ton of wriggle room but have chosen not to.

The issue isn't just VVD - it's the signal it sends. It's a shame we have our best player in the deep freeze, but the new-ish strategy of signing players on long contracts and keeping them unravels if Virgil leaves by Thursday evening.

The club need to send a message so that in the months and years to come Saints players are thinking "I don't want to get into the God awful hole that van Dijk got himself into, I have to knuckle down and put 100% into playing for Southampton, possibly for 2 or 3 more years".

If he is still here on Sept 2nd, VVD has one hell of a big hole to dig himself out of. God only knows what step he takes other than - hopefully - a massive mea culpa and U-turn.

Its honestly really bad irony.

The year the club decide to end their "selling club image", is the year we really should bin off VVD and Bertrand... We'd get lots of money, ditch two trouble makers who both CBA, and refresh the squad with change to spare.

I would sell to anyone but Liverpool, unless they do offer circa £75-80m.

We didn't sign any of those players when we went up to the Championship. None of them.

That isn't what I am saying Fry, I am saying that in the premier league, we basically had the majority of the championship team of the season, all of which have now been sold for a very tidy sum, and all of which were integral to our best seasons. Yet we no longer sign players from the championship team of the year.

That is directly where we should be looking imho.

*I am not saying that we signed those players to get promoted, not sure whether you misread what I put or are misquoting me on purpose?

The latest on twitter is that LFC are waiting for any bid being accepted from another club before they then gazump it. Apparently saintsfc would be legally obliged to accept that as well. The stupid dipper quoted a similar case for Henize raising a legal case around a bid not being accepted that was higher from another club. It doesnt seem to deter him from his argument that he lost the case. Apparently it would be international news and a PR disaster if VVd went down this route so we would accept.

Straw clutchingly bad argument but funny.

Well, how would they know? Bunch of idiots.

It's got nothing to do with his nationality. Strange that you should mention it. I haven't mentioned Yoshida for ages.

Pal.

you brought nationality into it by stating you like it when saints have a core of English players

biggot

If Theo were to come here I think he'd fit in well with Gabbi, could be a decent partnership there. That said I'd just flog VVD to the highest bidder, Theo isn't the decider in this one for me. Pretty sure we could get someone as good if it comes to it.

I don't get why VVD so adamant to go to Pool? They aren't going to win the league, maybe top 4 if they have a good season, I'd have thought Chelski would have a better shot at the title and I presume he's interested in silverware?? Or maybe he really is in it for just the money?

If Theo were to come here I think he'd fit in well with Gabbi, could be a decent partnership there. That said I'd just flog VVD to the highest bidder, Theo isn't the decider in this one for me. Pretty sure we could get someone as good if it comes to it.

I don't get why VVD so adamant to go to Pool? They aren't going to win the league, maybe top 4 if they have a good season, I'd have thought Chelski would have a better shot at the title and I presume he's interested in silverware?? Or maybe he really is in it for just the money?

Not sure Liverpool would pay him more than Chelsea or City. I think Van Dijk just likes Klopp and the culture/history around Liverpool. Seems daft saying it now but you can tell he has a sense of romance from the way he talks about Celtic.

He'd also be the main man at Liverpool, whereas he'd be second in command in the Chelsea or City defence.

Edited by DuncanRG

Alex crook just said on the radio....

never say never with regards to where he will go

Saints still remain firm in that he will stay this season

will take an incredible bid like £80m

saints can't lose face now as it will send a poor message

Saints managed to keep Morgan for another 12 months

Cant see saints caving in now

he did sign a 6 year deal 12 months ago

He will not lose value over the next 12 months

it is a world cup year and he will want to be part of it

Alex crook just said on the radio....

never say never with regards to where he will go

Saints still remain firm in that he will stay this season

will take an incredible bid like £80m

saints can't lose face now as it will send a poor message

Saints managed to keep Morgan for another 12 months

Cant see saints caving in now

he did sign a 6 year deal 12 months ago

He will not lose value over the next 12 months

it is a world cup year and he will want to be part of it

TalkSPORT?

I don't get the pi ss take around following this private jet. It's exactly what this forum would do if we were in for a top player. Talking of top players, anyone who thinks Theo is coming here is deluded.

To be fair, I don't think anyone has ever gone to the detail they have. In terms of finding out the plane, what the interior looks like, and what sort of car picks him up. Slightly sad, given that fact that obviously no one else in the entire world will ever fly on that plane.

To be fair, I don't think anyone has ever gone to the detail they have. In terms of finding out the plane, what the interior looks like, and what sort of car picks him up. Slightly sad, given that fact that obviously no one else in the entire world will ever fly on that plane.

come on

Remember the Paul Allen yacht saga