Virgil Transfer Rumours - Summer 17

wild-saint

First post on here so go easy on me. Obviously, think the behaviour of Van Dijk is disgraceful and it sickens me to think that he could end up getting what he wants. However, there are two scenarios that I look at from other clubs points of views. Firstly, if Liverpool offered £80m now then sold Coutinho for say £130m, they get effectively what they really need and want which is a top centre half plus £50m in the bank and we get a realistic price in this day and age.

The other club that is crying out for a top quality centre half is Arsenal and why on earth they do not bid £80m for VVD and sell Sanchez for £70m is beyond me. They would effectively be getting Van Dijk for £10m and getting a big fee for Sanchez who could walk for free at the end of the season. Forgetting Saints for a moment, either of these scenarios should be no brainers for those clubs and dare I say it even Man City.

What it boils down to is the fact that if Liverpool really want him, they have to come up with the right fee, are they really that stupid that they cannot work that out. I'd like to think that Saints are no longer a pushover and will not be bullied by bigger clubs into selling players at a cheap price as in the old days under Lowe. Realistically, I think VVD is worth £60m to any other club but we will have £20m extra compensation from Liverpool because of the illegal goings on that they actually admitted, this is not Saints getting paranoid after all. Selling him does seem the only option but it at least gets a bad smell out of the club but we should hold all the cards when it comes to the fee.

The real nightmare scenario would be VVD going to the dippers for £60m plus we get Lovren back.......only joking on that one, it will never happen thankfully!!

For all his faults, Lowe never sold a player at a cheap price. Neither have his successors.

Haha. Thanks for straightening that out H.

To those that can't see the humour I pity you. If another poster had written this it would get a different reaction. The whole replacement thing is bollacks. This post just takes the fiss of that.

Cheers mate. Sometimes i forget what serious business it is here. Just light hearted bants to lighten the mood.

#banterboys

If we sell him to Liverpool, then that will be me offically done with Les Reed and the rest of the board.

They'll be gutted to hear that. Does 'officially done' mean that you will be sending them a strongly worded email to inform them personally?

And that's the crux of the problem MrF. While you might not go as far as Benji's "not even for £200m", which was a figurative sum, what would you accept? As I say, I am in the club's camp (so far) on this, and I suspect that they have a sum in mind as well. SKD is not at any price, which I understand and my heart wholly agrees with. As a supporter, the finances aren't of primary importance, although they are of course linked with the desire to bring in good players. But as a realist the head also has a voice so high 80s-90 would be OK with me. Of course the preference would be to tell LFC to go **** themselves, but it is a business. But then you have to factor in him getting his own way and what it would mean for the future. Rock & hard place.

Yes, it's tricky to draw the line at what is acceptable and what isn't. I'd also prefer us not to sell to Liverpool at any price, but my main point was that we'd hardly be seen as a joke if we 'crumbled to the pressure' and eventually sold for £200m. Or £100m. The opposite would actually be true - our stance would have forced Liverpool to cough up an extra £20m+ on what they may have been able to pay at the start of the summer.

No chance. Not sure I'd want him anyway - overrated.

Most reports have Spurs & Chelsea in the running for him, but you're "not sure" you'd want him at Southampton. FFS?

I hope he goes to Spurs & rams this overrated tag he seems to have acquired on here,down people's throats. He'd walk into our side.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Most reports have Spurs & Chelsea in the running for him, but you're "not sure" you'd want him at Southampton. FFS?

I hope he goes to Spurs & rams this overrated tag he seems to have acquired on here,down people's throats. He'd walk into our side.

For me, I'm judging that the price / wages he would demand. Aren't Everton looking for something around £50m and he will expect over £100k a week.

For me, he is not worth that, but I do agree he would get into and would be a key part of our side.

If you could get him for around £30m and under £100k a week, he'd be a great signing. Can't see it happening unfortunately.

what the hell are you on about?

you didnt have a problem when you posted this...

Sorry, does it say I have a problem with foreign players? I don't have a problem with either, I was just saying I like to see home grown players doing well as opposed to your post which seemed anti Johnny Foreigner.

He has to get past Dele Ali first a player who is actual as good as the hype.

I'd have him in a heartbeat. He's just the sorting of player we're missing but his wages are way too much and our stature below what he's looking for.

It's embarrassing when people on here suggest they wouldn't want Barkley or he isn't good for us - why on earth not when most of the other transfer thread is about how we need a powerful AM that can score goals and can shoot from range etc. He would be one of our best players the moment he walked in.

It's also embarrassing because he wouldn't even consider joining us, so I don't know why we are even talking about him.

The crux of the matter is we need to spend serious money on players that will improve us. I am not sure there are many players available that will improve us, happy to not play European football and will fit our wage structure - certainly not this late in the window.

We actually have a lad who we have contracted to do all of the above. He should get his head down and play for a move in Jan or next Summer.

No, but we've seen Yoshida and Stephens, and neither of them are close to Fonte, van Dijk, Alderweireld or Lovren.

Agree with TA and VVD but Fonte is now showing his decline big time... Lovren turned out to be no better once his defensive midfield protection was not in front of him (MS & VW)

It's embarrassing when people on here suggest they wouldn't want Barkley or he isn't good for us - why on earth not when most of the other transfer thread is about how we need a powerful AM that can score goals and can shoot from range etc. He would be one of our best players the moment he walked in.

It's also embarrassing because he wouldn't even consider joining us, so I don't know why we are even talking about him.

He scored 5 last season....

Sorry, does it say I have a problem with foreign players? I don't have a problem with either, I was just saying I like to see home grown players doing well as opposed to your post which seemed anti Johnny Foreigner.

You seem to relish it whenever Yoshida does badly. Strange!

He would definitely struggle to get into the team, our forward players are in such great form at the moment.. assists and goals all over the place. Who would he replace!?

So what about all these rumours coming out of the London media at the moment saying we will sell VVD to Arsenal if Theo comes back the other way as part of the deal...??

Personally if the wages issue can be overcome I would bite their hand off..

I reckon he's staying. The club/Ralph have been pretty adamant on this. They could have left themselves a ton of wriggle room but have chosen not to.

The issue isn't just VVD - it's the signal it sends. It's a shame we have our best player in the deep freeze, but the new-ish strategy of signing players on long contracts and keeping them unravels if Virgil leaves by Thursday evening.

The club need to send a message so that in the months and years to come Saints players are thinking "I don't want to get into the God awful hole that van Dijk got himself into, I have to knuckle down and put 100% into playing for Southampton, possibly for 2 or 3 more years".

If he is still here on Sept 2nd, VVD has one hell of a big hole to dig himself out of. God only knows what step he takes other than - hopefully - a massive mea culpa and U-turn.

Why's it embarrassing when someone can see beyond the player's own hype? He clearly thinks he's a £50m player worth over £100k a week. I don't.

I think he's typical of the modern player who wants cash and medals for himself rather than contribute to team success. You can put VVD in that group too.

He's injury-prone, would demand wages that would smash our structure and cause unrest, cost us more than he's worth, have little prospect of increased sell-on value and if he did come (which he won't) he'd want to be off to a big club the moment he has a few good games.

No thank you.

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

Why's it embarrassing when someone can see beyond the player's own hype? He clearly thinks he's a £50m player worth over £100k a week. I don't.

I think he's typical of the modern player who wants cash and medals for himself rather than contribute to team success. You can put VVD in that group too.

He's injury-prone, would demand wages that would smash our structure and cause unrest, cost us more than he's worth, have little prospect of increased sell-on value and if he did come (which he won't) he'd want to be off to a big club the moment he has a few good games.

No thank you.

Do you really believe that, even if he is over-hyped, he wouldn't be a big improvement on what we have already?

And it is embarrassing when people suggest he might be someone we'd go for - he's refusing a new deal with Everton to force a move. You think he'd even remotely consider joining us?

Do you really believe that, even if he is over-hyped, he wouldn't be a big improvement on what we have already?

And it is embarrassing when people suggest he might be someone we'd go for - he's refusing a new deal with Everton to force a move. You think he'd even remotely consider joining us?

I agree with the argument that its a pointless discussion as he wouldn't come. But I've explained why I wouldn't want him.

Agree with TA and VVD but Fonte is now showing his decline big time... Lovren turned out to be no better once his defensive midfield protection was not in front of him (MS & VW)

Fonte started his decline at his last season with us, but was still picked over yoshida and stephens. Would still have Lovren over Yoshida and Stephens.

we don't pay the sort of wages he would want nor are we the big club he thinks he is entitled to.
Therein lies the problem if we do a U-turn and sell VVD at this late stage. We will have a stack of cash to spend but IMO will find it hard to get a player in the £25-30m bracket to join us without totally smashing up our wage structure and causing problems with rest of squad.

Sent from my Moto G (4) using Tapatalk

Therein lies the problem if we do a U-turn and sell VVD at this late stage. We will have a stack of cash to spend but IMO will find it hard to get a player in the £25-30m bracket to join us without totally smashing up our wage structure and causing problems with rest of squad.

Sent from my Moto G (4) using Tapatalk

there is the problem, we wont be signing anyone for £25-30m this time round. Not until that price gets you a player currently values at £15m

This is Brilliant. Couldn't make it up if you tried!

Meanwhile RAWK is following the flight path of a plane with VVD allegedly on it (left Bournemouth airport at 1pm) and comparing the interior trimmings of said plane with those of the plane that featured the the c**t looming moody and pensive in that infamous instagram pic...

Meanwhile RAWK is following the flight path of a plane with VVD allegedly on it (left Bournemouth airport at 1pm) and comparing the interior trimmings of said plane with those of the plane that featured the the c**t looming moody and pensive in that infamous instagram pic...

Saw that. Reminiscent of our lot tracking yachts around the world during the Paul Allen debacle

Edited by Golac's Cunning Stunts

The latest on twitter is that LFC are waiting for any bid being accepted from another club before they then gazump it. Apparently saintsfc would be legally obliged to accept that as well. The stupid dipper quoted a similar case for Henize raising a legal case around a bid not being accepted that was higher from another club. It doesnt seem to deter him from his argument that he lost the case. Apparently it would be international news and a PR disaster if VVd went down this route so we would accept.

Straw clutchingly bad argument but funny.

# Devil's advocate klaxon #

As much as I'd like to see Theo back at St.Mary's, am I alone in thinking that, at the ripe old age of 28, his best days are now behind him? Obviously, if he was a goalkeeper, central defender, holding midfielder or a Rickie Lambert-esque target man, I'd be quite rightly accused of talking out of my hat, as players in those positions can be in their prime in their late 20s/early 30s. However, Theo's primary attribute has always been his speed, but speed is very much a young man's game. Is Trousers talking nonsense here, just for a change, or could the old SWF stalwart have a valid point this time?

Edited by trousers

As much as I'd like to see Theo back at St.Mary's, am I alone in thinking that, at the ripe old age of 28, his best days are now behind him? Obviously, if he was a goalkeeper, central defender, holding midfielder or a Rickie Lambert-esque target man, I'd quite rightly talking out of my hat, as players in those positions can be in their prime in their late 20s/early 30s. However, Theo's primary attribute has always been his speed, but speed is very much a young man's game. Is Trousers talking nonsense here, just for a change, or could the old SWF stalwart have a valid point?

You could well have a point BUT he's better than Redmond and will be when he's 78 never mind 28.

What kind of nutters would go to that level of stalking....? :rolleyes:

As much as I'd like to see Theo back at St.Mary's, am I alone in thinking that, at the ripe old age of 28, his best days are now behind him? Obviously, if he was a goalkeeper, central defender, holding midfielder or a Rickie Lambert-esque target man, I'd quite rightly talking out of my hat, as players in those positions can be in their prime in their late 20s/early 30s. However, Theo's primary attribute has always been his speed, but speed is very much a young man's game. Is Trousers talking nonsense here, just for a change, or could the old SWF stalwart have a valid point?

Doesn't look any slower to me - Shane Long is older and hasn't lost a step. Never mind in other sports that rely on pace, professionals these days can play well into their 30s.

The latest on twitter is that LFC are waiting for any bid being accepted from another club before they then gazump it. Apparently saintsfc would be legally obliged to accept that as well. The stupid dipper quoted a similar case for Henize raising a legal case around a bid not being accepted that was higher from another club. It doesnt seem to deter him from his argument that he lost the case. Apparently it would be international news and a PR disaster if VVd went down this route so we would accept.

Straw clutchingly bad argument but funny.

They do make me laugh. They still fail to understand that we hold the contract, we can chose who we sell him to, whether that's for more or less than them. Nothing legal about it, stupid dimwits.