Virgil Transfer Rumours - Summer 17

wild-saint

Ah, good to see you bringing your xenophobia here from the terrorist thread. How do you explain why so many teams have done so well with mainly foreign players?

what the hell are you on about?

you didnt have a problem when you posted this...

Quality players will want the biggest clubs and CL football so that rules us out along with all of the other clubs outside the top 4 or 5. . Why would we sign poorer quality players, whichever club they come from. I do like it when Saints are home to quality English players. If we can only keep them.
Edited by Batman

Sell him to the highest bidder. This drama sucks the energy out of the Club.

Quite right, holding on to a stubborn knob like Van Dijk will do us no good whatsoever. What has he got to lose really, nothing is the answer. Hasn't played since February, isn't in the Dutch National side just now, they won't qualify for the WC anyway and there is only a certain amount of fines we can inflict on him in what is a fairly narrow corridor of action. As long as he turns up for training as requested he can be dire as you like and we can't do anything at all about it. If he doesn't train hard he'll not be selected anyway and so the only losers will be SFC. I tell you, we should take the money and be rid of him.

Hijack Stoke's deal for Wimmer.

I'd rather sell to VVD to Chelsea or Arsenal and buy a No. 10 and another CB with the proceeds.

Wimmer is another left sided CB though, so can't see we'd go for him and Hoedt. I think it was one or other, and we've made our choice.

A mate of mine spoke to VvD in a bar in London on Saturday night.

He said he seemed pretty chilled. Asked him if he would ever pull on a Saints shirt again. He said...to be honest I don't know. We will have to wait and see.

He said to him about moving for more money and if so why Liverpool ? He replied that it is not about the money and never has been. Just his ambition.

My mate got the feeling that he will not move this window and he will play for us again.

Just passing on what I have been told so no shooting the messenger !!

Do people really think that we will sign another cb when VVD goes? We won't we've signed Hoedt to replace VVD. Stephens is the great academy hope and will play. Yoshida just signed a 3 year deal. We bought Bednarek. We have Gardos (unfortunately). We have a 25 man squad limit. VVD will go and has already been replaced.

He said he seemed pretty chilled. Asked him if he would ever pull on a Saints shirt again. He said...to be honest I don't know. We will have to wait and see.

He said to him about moving for more money and if so why Liverpool ? He replied that it is not about the money and never has been. Just his ambition.

My mate got the feeling that he will not move this window and he will play for us again.

Cheers for passing on

Ah ambition, something that football fans do not seem to understand. Mind you if any of them were offered a job half a step up the ladder they'd be snapping it up and giving their notice.

Aye, ta.

Still doesn't excuse unprofessional attitude and not playing.

Yes it does, he wants out to get to what any reasonable person can see is a bigger club. No doubt that club is prepared to offer more than reasonable compensation, which is what the transfer system is based upon, and yet we're stopping him from moving up the ladder just to save face because we've said nulle prosequi. He will eventually get his way, they always do and we'll look like a bunch of dîcks again.

Edited by Window Cleaner

Ah ambition, something that football fans do not seem to understand. Mind you if any of them were offered a job half a step up the ladder they'd be snapping it up and giving their notice.

Yes I agree but probably not in Liverpool

Strange that his ambition in May 2016 was to sign on for 6 years as the highest paid Saints' player and that less than 12 months later he'd discovered a different ambition after being tapped-up. It probably still hasn't dawned on him that for the club, it's not about him but the much bigger issue that contracts are enforceable and that if tapping up wasn't against Premier League rules, clubs would have no stability over their playing squad. With three CBs being called up for international duty and excellent performances by ex-young England, Jack Stephens, it could be argued that we don't need Van Dijk but the fact remains that the club can't afford to sell him because of the wider consequences.

Strange that his ambition in May 2016 was to sign on for 6 years as the highest paid Saints' player and that less than 12 months later he'd discovered a different ambition after being tapped-up. It probably still hasn't dawned on him that for the club, it's not about him but the much bigger issue that contracts are enforceable and that if tapping up wasn't against Premier League rules, clubs would have no stability over their playing squad. With three CBs being called up for international duty and excellent performances by ex-young England, Jack Stephens, it could be argued that we don't need Van Dijk but the fact remains that the club can't afford to sell him because of the wider consequences.

Pfff tapping up is all I hear, tapping up is part of football, always has been, always will be. Have you never seen the documentary about Clough and Taylor going round to Dave McKay's house to persuade him to sign for Derby County? The only thing they worried about was that it was of a Sunday and thus illegal. Players have agents now and clubs approach agents, or family members to put their ideas to potential recruits. There is absolutely no difference between that and a parlay in Blackpool.

Why would that be exactly. They're going to sell Coutinho to Barca, neither of those things changes their defensive situation.

Isn't Keita a central defender? If not then disregard my post! If so, then it's pretty obvious how it would have some relevance.

So if it's about ambition and not money, the question still stands - why Liverpool?

Do people really think that we will sign another cb when VVD goes? We won't we've signed Hoedt to replace VVD. Stephens is the great academy hope and will play. Yoshida just signed a 3 year deal. We bought Bednarek. We have Gardos (unfortunately). We have a 25 man squad limit. VVD will go and has already been replaced.

I don't care how many times the club & supporters on here claim that Hoedt has been signed to play with VvD, I just don't buy it. Hopefully, we're both wrong, but I agree with you entirely.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Pfff tapping up is all I hear, tapping up is part of football, always has been, always will be. Have you never seen the documentary about Clough and Taylor going round to Dave McKay's house to persuade him to sign for Derby County? The only thing they worried about was that it was of a Sunday and thus illegal. Players have agents now and clubs approach agents, or family members to put their ideas to potential recruits. There is absolutely no difference between that and a parlay in Blackpool.

Wasn't the reason Saints were so ****ed off was because not only did Liverpool tap him up but they leaked the fact that they met him to the press to try and engineer the move and lower the price? I remember reading something to that effect on the scousers forum. That's why they got a telling off from the FA, tapping up always happens but there is never usually any proof.

There is tapping up and there is taking the ****.

So if it's about ambition and not money' date=' the question still stands - why Liverpool?[/quote']

Are they not in the ECL ? Are we? Did they not reach the Europa League final 15 months ago ? Did we ? Do they not play in front of 60,000 every home game? Do we ?

Really those who insist that Liverpool aren't a bigger club than Saints just make themselves look silly chauvinists..

Wasn't the reason Saints were so ****ed off was because not only did Liverpool tap him up but they leaked the fact that they met him to the press to try and engineer the move and lower the price? I remember reading something to that effect on the scousers forum. That's why they got a telling off from the FA, tapping up always happens but there is never usually any proof.

There is tapping up and there is taking the ****.

Some would have you believe that the whole scenario is less clear cut than it is made out to be. Did the FA punish them ? Don't think so so there may be some sort of occult cicumstances. I believe someone actually claimed there were but perhaps it was just a WUM or even worse a Skate. I do seem to remember that the jist of it was that Virgil believed that he had permission to talk to them but that's probably false.

Apparently Liverpool are willing to pay whatever it takes to sign Van Dijk now but are waiting for us to give them the green light. why didn't they just say that in the first place instead of being shady ****s and then leaking a load of crap to their pet journo's? They haven't exactly done much to ease the tension between the clubs.

Would be fuming if he went there now.

I don't care how many times the club & supporters on here claim that Hoedt has been signed to play with VvD, I just don't buy it. Hopefully, we're both wrong, but I agree with you entirely.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

guess you/we will find out in three days time :)

Yes it does, he wants out to get to what any reasonable person can see is a bigger club. No doubt that club is prepared to offer more than reasonable compensation, which is what the transfer system is based upon, and yet we're stopping him from moving up the ladder just to save face because we've said nulle prosequi. He will eventually get his way, they always do and we'll look like a bunch of dîcks again.

But that's not why we are not selling. Its because 12 moths ago he seemingly did not have such ambition and agreed to a new contract with us for 6 years at an inflated salary and based on him being made captain. Its called honouring a contract based on the ambition of the player one year earlier. He could have gone to a bigger club 12 months ago, if he had that ambition, or at least he could have turned down the contract extension. We will only look like dicks if we now actually sell him, and if we sell him to Liverpool we will look like even bigger dicks. What we should be doing, based on where we are now, is agreeing to sell him next summer, and if the **** had any honour he would be agreeing to that.