Virgil Transfer Rumours - Summer 17

wild-saint

Some would have you believe that the whole scenario is less clear cut than it is made out to be. Did the FA punish them ? Don't think so so there may be some sort of occult cicumstances. I believe someone actually claimed there were but perhaps it was just a WUM or even worse a Skate. I do seem to remember that the jist of it was that Virgil believed that he had permission to talk to them but that's probably false.

I'm assuming what I read was true because somehow everyone knows about the famous meeting in Blackpool, unless Saints had him followed by a secret agent you have to assume that info has been leaked by Liverpool, VVD or their agents.

But that's not why we are not selling. Its because 12 moths ago he seemingly did not have such ambition and agreed to a new contract with us for 6 years at an inflated salary and based on him being made captain. Its called honouring a contract based on the ambition of the player one year earlier. He could have gone to a bigger club 12 months ago, if he had that ambition, or at least he could have turned down the contract extension. We will only look like dicks if we now actually sell him, and if we sell him to Liverpool we will look like even bigger dicks. What we should be doing, based on where we are now, is agreeing to sell him next summer, and if the **** had any honour he would be agreeing to that.

Nope, that's another year lost in the wilderness in his view I expect,he's now 26, not old but not a young lad either. Liverpool might not even want him in a year anyway. There are always new players breaking through looking for top moves. I mean who'd even heard of Mbappe a year ago and now he's a 200 million euro star. I can see VvD's desire to move on, Morgan still believes we ruined his career in not selling him to Tottenham , he didn't even really want to go to Utd either.

Morgan still believes we ruined his career in not selling him to Tottenham , he didn't even really want to go to Utd either.

LOL I have heard it all now! Ruined his career by giving him a move to one of the biggest clubs in the World instead some ****e in North London.

We made his career by making him look good enough to play for a top club when he clearly wasn't. He was never good enough for Man Utd, their fans all though he was ****e.

From Telegraph Merseyside reporter Chris Bascombe:

Liverpool agree to sign Naby Keita in club record deal to kick off hectic end to the transfer window at Anfield:

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Liverpool have kicked off what promises to be a hectic final 72 hours in the transfer window by agreeing a club record deal of £48 million for RB Leipzig midfielder Naby Keita, who will move to Anfield in a year’s time.

Determined to add quality to his squad, Jurgen Klopp is also trying to secure a high class midfielder and retains a hope negotiations for Southampton’s Virgil Van Dijk can be revived.

After a relatively quite period throughout the summer, with Liverpool adding Mohamed Salah, Dominic Solanke and Andrew Robertson, the remaining days could be frantic.

Keita was Klopp’s prime target throughout the close season but he was frustrated in his efforts to secure the 22-year-old ahead of this campaign.

However, so determined were Liverpool to get their man, they have agreed a deal which is common in Europe with the player moving to Anfield in 2018.

It was in the mutual interest of Liverpool and RB Leipzig to act now. Keita has an exit clause of £48 million in his contract which can be triggered in 12 months. Leipzig were prepared to negotiate now to secure an additional premium, taking the fee potentially beyond £50 million.

Liverpool were prepared to pay extra to ensure they are not out-flanked in the future, with several others circling around the Guinea midfielder. Barcelona have been linked with the player by Catalan media in recent days, and such is his quality there was a fear numerous Champions League clubs would enter the race to sign him once they have seen him shine on the biggest European stage.

That makes it a transfer a coup for Liverpool, even if their preference was to recruit the player now.

Keita made it clear to his club he wanted the move, but with the Bundesliga side preparing for a Champions League campaign they were not prepared to sanction his salel.

Leipzig never shifted position since Liverpool made their official moves for the player, with respective bids of £57 million and £66 million. Klopp would have broken a club transfer record by £30 million had the last offer been accepted, but the rebuttal of such a staggering sum underlined the Germans were not bluffing with the public statements insisting there would be no business.

Instead, Keita has undergone a medical and will become the club’s record signing ahead of next year. It is the second time this summer Liverpool have broken the club’s transfer record.

Klopp has a considerable transfer kitty available should the right players become available – that has been the case all summer – but it has been a tricky market.

There is still every chance the Anfield transfer record will be broken a third time. The Merseyside club is prepared to spend whatever it takes to sign Van Dijk – a bid of £70 million is conceivable if they are offered encouragement.

The fear at Anfield remains Southampton will not invite any offers before this week’s deadline. It could be Liverpool must wait until January or next summer for Van Dijk if Saints stand firm and the player is willing to be patient.

Liverpool are also exploring numerous midfield options, none of which are related to Philippe Coutinho’s future. Coutinho will not be sold under any circumstances in this window, regardless of whether Barcelona launch a fourth bid.

It has been widely anticipated Barcelona will make a fresh move and edge closer to 150 million euros for the 25-year-old, but Liverpool would again immediately reject that offer regardless of how eye watering it would be.

Coutinho’s retention is seen as a statement and a symbol of the club Liverpool are trying revive – a club which does not allow its best players to leave, especially when on the cusp of an exciting new era in the Champions League.

As with Barcelona’s first approaches, the timing is wrong and FSG public statement underlining their ‘definitive’ stance will not be reversed.

Source: http://www.telegraph.co.uk/football/2017/08/28/liverpool-signnaby-keita-club-record-deal-will-have-wait-year/

Keita is a CM, he's about 4ft tall and a featherweight to boot so no he isn't a CB. Think Ngolo Kanté'ish.

Oh! Could've sworn the impression the media reports gave off were that he was a CB, maybe the similarity of the situation meant I assumed the same position... in which case, largely irrelevant news!

Now, seeing as LFC have been prepared to 'wait' for Ketia and have seemingly respected RB's stance that they're not selling this year, they've already tied up next summers transfer for him.

Does anyone think LFC may play a similar approach with VVD as we enter the close of the window? For me, it's an incredibly dangerous move. On one hand you keep the player for another year, but on the other hand you know that he's going to be making sure he's not getting crocked during the season....and there will always be questions around commitment...

Are they not in the ECL ? Are we? Did they not reach the Europa League final 15 months ago ? Did we ? Do they not play in front of 60,000 every home game? Do we ?

Really those who insist that Liverpool aren't a bigger club than Saints just make themselves look silly chauvinists..

You completely miss the point. Didn't say Liverpool haven't been more successful than saints at all. If it is about ambition he would surely want to go to a club that's actually won something to shout about in the past 15 years. This is about money not ambition. Reign your neck in.

Now, seeing as LFC have been prepared to 'wait' for Ketia and have seemingly respected RB's stance that they're not selling this year, they've already tied up next summers transfer for him.

Does anyone think LFC may play a similar approach with VVD as we enter the close of the window? For me, it's an incredibly dangerous move. On one hand you keep the player for another year, but on the other hand you know that he's going to be making sure he's not getting crocked during the season....and there will always be questions around commitment...

What was interesting about this recent Keita development to me was they actually did this part of the deal quietly.

You completely miss the point. Didn't say Liverpool haven't been more successful than saints at all. If it is about ambition he would surely want to go to a club that's actually won something to shout about in the past 15 years. This is about money not ambition. Reign your neck in.

but liverpool look to have plenty of ambition now IMO

It's always about money for Van Dyke, he was already playing for a Champions League side when he left to join us for a few quid more.

It's always about money for Van Dyke, he was already playing for a Champions League side when he left to join us for a few quid more.

he can get it all at liverpool

More money, CL football, vastly superior exposure around the world.

VVD to Liverpool is gathering momentum among the Liverpool supporting chatterers on Twitter, RAWK etc. without any actual new evidence that it will happen. It all seems to be gathering steam because of the Kieta deal, almost like the euphoria from that is transferring over to this situation.

I understand why he wants to go there but I hate VVD's methods. And his agent's methods. And Liverpool's.

If we sell VVD to Liverpool in this window, or any future window it will completely defeat the object of the club's stance this summer. I daresay that they will fork out too much money for him but I may be a little grumpy if it happens.

It needs the club to tell VVD he won't be sold to LFC on principle because of his, his agent's and Liverpool's behaviour. When we are ready he can go anywhere else that pay the required fee, until then either play properly or be royally ****ed about for as long as we want.

Matt Le Tissier‏Verified account @mattletiss7 · 2h2 hours ago

 More

Matt Le Tissier Retweeted Matt Le Tissier

Stands at 50/50 at mo. That would have been 90/10 in favour a few weeks ago eh? #notsoconfidentnow

Stands at 50/50 at mo. That would have been 90/10 in favour a few weeks ago eh? #notsoconfidentnow

Matt Le Tissier‏Verified account @mattletiss7 · 2h2 hours ago

 More

That is in relation to a Liverpool poll say it's 50/50 now, rather than 90/10 in there favour

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

The Ketia situation is different as it's well reported he (Ketia) has a clause allowing him to leave for 48m next summer.

Liverpool will pay a premium now, say 60m to avoid a bidding war next summer.

VVD doesn't have this clause.

Under no circumstances should we sell to Liverpool.... no circumstances

If we sell to Liverpool now, and dont bring in another CB and a striker in order to distract the fan base, I genuinely think Reed and Krueger are finished and our reputation as a soft touch easily pushed around by players will be irreversible.

Krueger certainly (Dead man walking regardless) but Reed will be fine.

If we sell to Liverpool now, and dont bring in another CB and a striker in order to distract the fan base, I genuinely think Reed and Krueger are finished and our reputation as a soft touch easily pushed around by players will be irreversible.

I think both will be gone by next summer regardless

Seemed an odd thing for Le Tissier to do today, that Twitter survey asking Liverpool fans if they would be getting VVD. The Liverpool interpretation of this is that Le Tissier is doing it because he has inside info that VVD is off to them. I think he's just winding them up.

In their eyes anything can be interpreted as VVD's going to Liverpool.

ITK - Maxi‏ @MaxiITK · 34s35 seconds ago

 More

Replying to @MaxiITK

There is 1000% a medical tomorrow, Virgil Van Dijk is done, it doesn't take a genius to work it out

ITK - Maxi‏ @MaxiITK · 34s35 seconds ago

 More

Replying to @MaxiITK

There is 1000% a medical tomorrow, Virgil Van Dijk is done, it doesn't take a genius to work it out

I've seen nothing from this guy's twitter history that says he has any ITK credentials. In fact, on July 2nd he states that Keita had agreed contract, fee and shirt number. Interesting how that has since transpired - another fake 'ITK' trying to make a scene.

I've just seen loads of tweets from people saying it's happening including a pic someone said was him at Liverpool airport. Christ knows but sounds like it will happen. Horrible if true.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I've just seen loads of tweets from people saying it's happening including a pic someone said was him at Liverpool airport. Christ knows but sounds like it will happen. Horrible if true.

A fake picture. Nothing says he's going. Calm down

If it was going to happen, it would be all over the press by now. There is no way he can be sold after what Ralph said.

Is it so hard to understand that the club is a business and that it buys low and sells high where possible. Forget the rhetoric you've heard from the club. VVD has always been going, was always going to Liverpool and will go there for a huge fee. He's already been replaced by Hoedt.

Would it be too much to ask to be firm, if only for six months?

Serious question, what would it really achieve? Any player wanting to go will do a virgil regardless of whether we dig our heels in this time. Any vultures will prey regardless. The clubs posturing has helped drive up drive up the price, at the expense of p:ssing the fans off and giving them false hope.

To be honest mate it's a lot to ask anyone to be firm for six months. Could you do it? I couldn't...but I am in my forties.

Well at least that made me chuckle. Ta

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Is it so hard to understand that the club is a business and that it buys low and sells high where possible. Forget the rhetoric you've heard from the club. VVD has always been going, was always going to Liverpool and will go there for a huge fee. He's already been replaced by Hoedt.

They have always kept to their word in the past on Morgan and Wanyama. Think they will keep to their word this time also. VVD will be staying.

Nothing surprises me with the club but I find it hard to believe that we would have been so categoric about him staying if we were going to just sell him shortly after, particularly to Liverpool. If we do sell I imagine they will say something like it was the managers decision to sell and that we didn't have to.

Nothing surprises me with the club but I find it hard to believe that we would have been so categoric about him staying if we were going to just sell him shortly after, particularly to Liverpool. If we do sell I imagine they will say something like it was the managers decision to sell and that we didn't have to.

Yep. They'll dress it up as something like 'nobody is bigger than the club' and 'Harmony amongst the players is crucial' etc. Hopefully they'll sweeten the pill with a decent forward or proper number 10.

With Mane there was intense speculation in the weeks leading up to deal bring completed and saints didn't comment at all which told it's own story. We are going to look like right muppets if we sell him now especially to Liverpool. Not just individual reputations on the line but clubs as well. We must preserve that at all costs.

Sent from my SM-A300FU using Tapatalk

Yep. They'll dress it up as something like 'nobody is bigger than the club' and 'Harmony amongst the players is crucial' etc. Hopefully they'll sweeten the pill with a decent forward or proper number 10.

You really think he'll be gone come Thursday?

With Mane there was intense speculation in the weeks leading up to deal bring completed and saints didn't comment at all which told it's own story. We are going to look like right muppets if we sell him now especially to Liverpool. Not just individual reputations on the line but clubs as well. We must preserve that at all costs.

Sent from my SM-A300FU using Tapatalk

That's true but I do wonder how much sway the new owners would have on the decision. I reckon we may force him to stay until January when he will be sold and probably won't have played for us again. That may cost us some cash but it also sends out an important message that we won't be bullied into selling our best players. Watch the club sell him to Liverpool now and make us look like fools!