Virgil Transfer Rumours - Summer 17

wild-saint

so, we sell VvD and no one comes in to replace him then?

Hoedt is his replacement. I'm staggered that people still think that another cb will come in. That ain't happening. He'll go and at the most an attacking player or a proper 10 will come in to sweeten the pill.

I still find it a bit galling that we have to sell to bring in a "high profile attacking player" given we are debt free, have received the largest amount of Prem League/Sky money and Ralph stated we are in a good place.

So if the choice is keep VVD or have someone who can hopefully find the net then it's a no brainer for me.

Hope they don't run out of time like they did in January......

Hoedt is his replacement. I'm staggered that people still think that another cb will come in. That ain't happening. He'll go and at the most an attacking player or a proper 10 will come in to sweeten the pill.

agree with you, Hoedt was always the replacement. Yoshida (who couldnt buy a start not that long ago) is now integral to us.

the AM will be a alright IMO...nothing special

we appear to be on our own in this league to need to sell before we buy a top player

Have you seen Hoedt play for us yet.... ?

I have to say he worries me cos of his lack of pace. Stephens and Yoshida are a decent pairing but neither attack the ball enough. The issue for me is whether swapping one of those with a slower player who is better in the air improves us or makes us more vulnerable. The 3 at the back against wolves was a car crash but if we work at it who knows.

Just out of interest, where are you getting this nailed on info from?

I have to say he worries me cos of his lack of pace. Stephens and Yoshida are a decent pairing but neither attack the ball enough. The issue for me is whether swapping one of those with a slower player who is better in the air improves us or makes us more vulnerable. The 3 at the back against wolves was a car crash but if we work at it who knows.

Hoedt has been built up as some sort of mega signing on here. real class etc.

lets wait and see. James Horncastle reported that Hoedt is 'alright' and 'wooden' with regards to his movement around the pitch

How quick is he? Or rather how slow? You seem to be rather an expert on the fella, so what can we expect? Fonte like pace?

The answer to that is a very dark place. The curse of a free bar. I'm better today, thanks for asking.

Anyway, update I got yesterday is I gather that the reports of a done deal to Liverpool are wide of the mark. However, it's certainly more likely that VVD will leave now than it was 7-10 days ago. But no deal has been agreed with any club.

We are pursuing two transfer strategies. The first is no club meets the valuation and VvD stays and we sign one of the two players I've mentioned before. The second is we sell VVD and sign a high profile attacking player and I understand we've made moves to do that. I haven't been told any names. Would still sign the other player and then look to send an attacking player out on loan.

There's a little more information I have but can't share it yet.

Expect another update later today.

Option B for me. Van Dijk has played his last game for us, regardless, so we might as well try and turn this unsavoury situation in our favour as best we can and try to address the glaring issues in our team.

Selling him isn't the outcome anyone wanted, but he is leaving - either in a few days, January or next summer - so why not draw a line under this ugly saga and move on.

Option B for me. Van Dijk has played his last game for us, regardless, so we might as well try and turn this unsavoury situation in our favour as best we can and try to address the glaring issues in our team.

Selling him isn't the outcome anyone wanted, but he is leaving - either in a few days, January or next summer - so why not draw a line under this ugly saga and move on.

And if we do that, Liverpool come knocking again next season...

The possible outcomes . . .

we keep vvd (our valuation met or not met) and he plays for us and then goes next June with our blessing. We get in an AM

we keep vvd, he disrupts the squad, doesn't play for us and eventually has to be sold next year and we don't get the AM until next year

we sell vvd to anyone other than dippers and we get the AM

we sell vvd to the dippers and get the AM

Personally, would prefer any option except 4. Reluctantly coming round to the idea that if we sell him to the dippers because their bid is significantly higher than any other, then it would be preferable long term for the club than keeping him and the toxic atmosphere that he has created.

Whilst the club has said we won't sell him, Ralph has added the caveat that a very high bid might change things.

The possible outcomes . . .

we keep vvd (our valuation met or not met) and he plays for us and then goes next June with our blessing. We get in an AM

we keep vvd, he disrupts the squad, doesn't play for us and eventually has to be sold next year and we don't get the AM until next year

we sell vvd to anyone other than dippers and we get the AM

we sell vvd to the dippers and get the AM

Personally, would prefer any option except 4. Reluctantly coming round to the idea that if we sell him to the dippers because their bid is significantly higher than any other, then it would be preferable long term for the club than keeping him and the toxic atmosphere that he has created.

Whilst the club has said we won't sell him, Ralph has added the caveat that a very high bid might change things.

Toxic atmosphere? In your imagination or you have proof? Sorry to pick on you but I've seen this written as gospel on here a few times but no evidence to back it up?

Just so i'm clear -

Stephens was the Fonte replacement

Bednarek was the Stephens replacement

Hoedt is the VVD replacement

Redmond was the Mane replacement

Austin was the Pelle replacement

Manolo is the Jay Rod replacement

Tadic was the Lallana replacement

Romeu or Clasie are the Schneiderlin replacement

Hojberg was the Wanyama replacement

Lemina is the Hojberg replacement

Boufal was the Ramirez replacement

And the good news when we/if we sell VVD we don't need to spend any more money as we already spent it on Lemina, Hoedt, Bednarek, Jack Rose and Barry (Manolo)?

If we were to sell VvD and get in a new AM but it meant Bertrand and Cedric leaving in January and let’s say for arguments sake Gabbi being tapped up before the Jan window and refusing to play for us unless he got a move would you say that getting rid of him was worth it even if we got say £80m for him?

That’s what I’m worried about – not about him staying and not playing (Hoedt, Yoshida & Stephens should be enough to have a decent if not spectacular season) or being a disruptive team influence (already disregarded by club captain Steven Davis on 2 occasions) but that the knock-on effects will leave us weaker in the long term.

I don’t expect players to not want to leave even if we do keep Van Dijk here but at least they will know that we are prepared to stand our ground if need be. If anything it should be a warning that you would be much better dealing with us directly rather than trying to go behind our backs (applies to both our players and other clubs).

We cannot be seen to be rewarding his behaviour by allowing him his move as it will just encourage others to follow his example if they ever want to move on and let’s face it, all players would prefer to be challenging for the title and be playing in the Champions League if they could (the extra money helps too of course) so it will happen again especially if a player has their head turned by another club.

Just so i'm clear -

And the good news when we/if we sell VVD we don't need to spend any more money as we already spent it on Lemina, Hoedt, Bednarek, Jack Rose and Barry (Manolo)?

I got bored at line 3 but until that point broadly you're correct, although Bednarek is for the future, ie someone's replacement in due course.

Just so i'm clear -

You are a poor man's Bournemouth/Glasgow replacement

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

The answer to that is a very dark place. The curse of a free bar. I'm better today, thanks for asking.

Anyway, update I got yesterday is I gather that the reports of a done deal to Liverpool are wide of the mark. However, it's certainly more likely that VVD will leave now than it was 7-10 days ago. But no deal has been agreed with any club.

We are pursuing two transfer strategies. The first is no club meets the valuation and VvD stays and we sign one of the two players I've mentioned before. The second is we sell VVD and sign a high profile attacking player and I understand we've made moves to do that. I haven't been told any names. Would still sign the other player and then look to send an attacking player out on loan.

There's a little more information I have but can't share it yet.

Expect another update later today.

High profile attacking player? Putting it out there that it could be Emre Mor..

Regardless of the amount?

Yep. The way Liverpool have conducted their business is nothing short of a disgrace, to the point that we've made them apologise.

What is the point of making them apologise, if we just cave in and give them what they want? It's more than money, it's down to principle.

Just so i'm clear -

Wish we had a replacement lined up for you, not just another trolling reincarnation

If we were to sell VvD and get in a new AM but it meant Bertrand and Cedric leaving in January and let’s say for arguments sake Gabbi being tapped up before the Jan window and refusing to play for us unless he got a move would you say that getting rid of him was worth it even if we got say £80m for him?

That’s what I’m worried about – not about him staying and not playing (Hoedt, Yoshida & Stephens should be enough to have a decent if not spectacular season) or being a disruptive team influence (already disregarded by club captain Steven Davis on 2 occasions) but that the knock-on effects will leave us weaker in the long term.

I don’t expect players to not want to leave even if we do keep Van Dijk here but at least they will know that we are prepared to stand our ground if need be. If anything it should be a warning that you would be much better dealing with us directly rather than trying to go behind our backs (applies to both our players and other clubs).

We cannot be seen to be rewarding his behaviour by allowing him his move as it will just encourage others to follow his example if they ever want to move on and let’s face it, all players would prefer to be challenging for the title and be playing in the Champions League if they could (the extra money helps too of course) so it will happen again especially if a player has their head turned by another club.

This bit is key for me.

I also agree with the sentiment of not to Liverpool at any price, because they are looking pretty good right now and if VVD goes there, their defence will suddenly be a lot better, and I would hate for them to actually win something. Although I wouldn't go as far as Benji, who earlier says "not even for £200m". Would be hard to say we're a joke if Liverpool had essentially paid us the value of our entire club (?) for one player...!

And that's the crux of the problem MrF. While you might not go as far as Benji's "not even for £200m", which was a figurative sum, what would you accept? As I say, I am in the club's camp (so far) on this, and I suspect that they have a sum in mind as well. SKD is not at any price, which I understand and my heart wholly agrees with. As a supporter, the finances aren't of primary importance, although they are of course linked with the desire to bring in good players. But as a realist the head also has a voice so high 80s-90 would be OK with me. Of course the preference would be to tell LFC to go **** themselves, but it is a business. But then you have to factor in him getting his own way and what it would mean for the future. Rock & hard place.

We cannot be seen to be rewarding his behaviour by allowing him his move as it will just encourage others to follow his example if they ever want to move on

This, surely everyone at the club and any supporter must understand this by now surely

Of course. But being pragmatic, if Liverpool are waving 75m at us because suddenly they have money because of Coutinho's imminent sale, how likely are we to say no ? They've effectively met our valuation, which was set high to deter bidders.

To be honest, the time we should have been saying "no" and making a stand was 2 summers ago with Lovren and Lallana. We've made a rod for our own backs here.

Yep. The way Liverpool have conducted their business is nothing short of a disgrace, to the point that we've made them apologise.

What is the point of making them apologise, if we just cave in and give them what they want? It's more than money, it's down to principle.

Is there such things as "principles" in the Premier League anymore?

Of course. But being pragmatic, if Liverpool are waving 75m at us because suddenly they have money because of Coutinho's imminent sale, how likely are we to say no ? They've effectively met our valuation, which was set high to deter bidders.

To be honest, the time we should have been saying "no" and making a stand was 2 summers ago with Lovren and Lallana. We've made a rod for our own backs here.

Different times financially back then Alps and Lovren is not as good as we made him look here is he? If he was why is the gurning man trying to sign VVD?

If we really need the money now we would have sold him a lot earlier and to do it now is plain stupid IMO

Our defence is actually ok, obviously would be better with VvD in it but we need someone who can do damage at the opposite end, I'd like Boufal to get a run but if sold VvD for 75m then try and get someone who can cause that damage up front, even if it means spending 25m+

Two summer's ago, the financial position (lack of debt) was not the same as it is now.

Different times financially back then Alps and Lovren is not as good as we made him look here is he? If he was why is the gurning man trying to sign VVD?

If we really need the money now we would have sold him a lot earlier and to do it now is plain stupid IMO

Ditto this.

Unless an insane amount is offered then imho he stays here and for more reasons than just bloody mindedness.

So what attacking player do you think we are going to make a move for? Barkley?
No chance. Not sure I'd want him anyway - overrated. Sounds like we've got two targets in mind. One, a budget option and prospect to develop if we don't sell Van Dijk and another more established (but probably not well-known and off the radar) if he goes.

Not sure we need another of the former option.

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

Toxic atmosphere? In your imagination or you have proof? Sorry to pick on you but I've seen this written as gospel on here a few times but no evidence to back it up?

Based on what ITKs here and on Not606 have said.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

No chance. Not sure I'd want him anyway - overrated. Sounds like we've got two targets in mind. One, a budget option and prospect to develop if we don't sell Van Dijk and another more established (but probably not well-known and off the radar) if he goes.

Not sure we need another of the former option.

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

Whilst I agree he is overrated, he is exactly the sort of player we need IMO and would be (a player of that type) a perfect replacement for Davis.

First post on here so go easy on me. Obviously, think the behaviour of Van Dijk is disgraceful and it sickens me to think that he could end up getting what he wants. However, there are two scenarios that I look at from other clubs points of views. Firstly, if Liverpool offered £80m now then sold Coutinho for say £130m, they get effectively what they really need and want which is a top centre half plus £50m in the bank and we get a realistic price in this day and age.

The other club that is crying out for a top quality centre half is Arsenal and why on earth they do not bid £80m for VVD and sell Sanchez for £70m is beyond me. They would effectively be getting Van Dijk for £10m and getting a big fee for Sanchez who could walk for free at the end of the season. Forgetting Saints for a moment, either of these scenarios should be no brainers for those clubs and dare I say it even Man City.

What it boils down to is the fact that if Liverpool really want him, they have to come up with the right fee, are they really that stupid that they cannot work that out. I'd like to think that Saints are no longer a pushover and will not be bullied by bigger clubs into selling players at a cheap price as in the old days under Lowe. Realistically, I think VVD is worth £60m to any other club but we will have £20m extra compensation from Liverpool because of the illegal goings on that they actually admitted, this is not Saints getting paranoid after all. Selling him does seem the only option but it at least gets a bad smell out of the club but we should hold all the cards when it comes to the fee.

The real nightmare scenario would be VVD going to the dippers for £60m plus we get Lovren back.......only joking on that one, it will never happen thankfully!!

I still think he stays based on the FACTS at my disposal. I have seen nothing to change that view, just thousands and thousands of words of conjecture and hyperbole.

What happens when he stays is another thread I suspect, but I'll leave that up to Les and Co. to worry about.

Just so i'm clear -

Haha. Thanks for straightening that out H.

To those that can't see the humour I pity you. If another poster had written this it would get a different reaction. The whole replacement thing is bollacks. This post just takes the fiss of that.

Haha. Thanks for straightening that out H.

To those that can't see the humour I pity you. If another poster had written this it would get a different reaction. The whole replacement thing is bollacks. This post just takes the fiss of that.

very true. a nod to 12 months ago when we were told we didnt need a new striker as Austin was signed as Pelle's replacement etc (then we bought Gabbiadini)