Puel out

Lastman73

and yet oddly we have had the 8th most shots on target of any team in the PL

https://www.premierleague.com/stats/top/clubs/ontarget_scoring_att?se=54

have actually had the most crosses in the PL

https://www.premierleague.com/stats

and are only 8th in the PL for backwards passes (interestingly the teams that have passed backwards more than us are oh yeah the current top 7)

https://www.premierleague.com/stats/top/clubs/backward_pass

there is nothing wrong with the way we play in general (though you can get **** games like hull) what has killed us this year is a totally inability to ****ing score when we get our chances. No goals = boredom which is understandable.

Correct.

Except Everton. And West Brom and Bournemouth are level on points but are not level on income.

Bournemouth's income is in fact much lower than ours or West Broms, they have done wonders to be on level terms with us in league positon and it kinda shows what a proper manager can achieve with a willing bunch of honest hard working players who want to play you

A stat that I would dearly love to see is goals conceded from 1st shot on target. It happened again today and I'm convinced it's over 50% of our games this season.

Anyway, useful stuff above but mostly ignored our increasingly entitled and ridiculous "fans".

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

You need to check out the other stats instead of agreeing with some cherry picked to prove a point!

Bournemouth's income is in fact much lower than ours or West Broms, they have done wonders to be on level terms with us in league positon and it kinda shows what a proper manager can achieve with a willing bunch of honest hard working players who want to play you

And not playing 3 matches per week for months on end, and not having key players injured for most of the season, and not having your captain sold in the window without an adequate replacement, and not inheriting a squad with 3 major players sold and not adequately replaced.

It's not little Bournemouth spending no money is it, they have spent a fair bit. If they only bought what a club with £12k gates would generally afford then they would fully deserve the praise. Although done well despite their poor transfers. Also one season and they are likely to end up like Wigan.

And not playing 3 matches per week for months on end, and not having key players injured for most of the season, and not having your captain sold in the window without an adequate replacement, and not inheriting a squad with 3 major players sold and not adequately replaced.

You might want to check that again.

Most crosses but just four goals from headers.... It's OK to have lost of ****e crosses but if 1) there is no one in the middle or 2) it sails over everyone's head then what's the point?

No goals from counter attacks?

Big chances missed is loads less than Stoke and one more than Bournemouth...

Some interesting stats on there....

so yeah basically backs up my point we can't finish and haven't been able to most of the season....

Which is probably typical for a mid-table team. If we were regularly beating the top 6, we'd probably be top 4, and the truth is we're not that good.

But we're not bad either. With a B team, we played some decent football today, should have won by a hatful, but won. We weren't boring. We attacked. We won.

And be careful about judging fan unrest by a bunch of ranting posters on here. I was at the game today, spoke with plenty of fans and the overwhelming feeling was that Puel has his faults, but hasn't done a bad job.

It's worth reflecting that we could have done a lot worse this season. We're not sweating on relegation, we've been to Wembley and had an exciting (if ultimately anticlimactic) adventure in Europe.

Thank you Saints, and Claude. I've had a great season. I guess some others have far higher, and probably unrealistic expectations.

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

The vitriol driven by a small number of posters on here has really caused a 'bandwagon' effect and IMO is not at all healthy !

My discussions inside the stadium with those around me are much more balanced and civilised, sure they are not all positive but mostly realistic and understanding of our situation !

Nowadays, fan sites such as this one are picked up and quoted by all sorts of media outlets (newspapers, TV & other websites) so no wonder the negative vibes are spreading !

so yeah basically backs up my point we can't finish and haven't been able to most of the season....

No it doesn't...

"Big chances missed"- we have missed 10 less clear cut chances than Stoke..and only one more than Bournemouth... We don't create clear cut chances and miss them. We do lots of shots but not from great positions.

We do loads of crosses but it's not the finishing, it's that either no one is in there or it goes over people's heads..so chuck in loads of crosses but if they are rubbish what's the point?

Lots of our play is keeping possession outside the box. We let the opposition set up and inevitably end up going round outside and chucking in a cross.

The stats don't prove anything...they don't prove me or you right and depending on which one you chose you can make anything of it.

No it doesn't...

"Big chances missed"- we have missed 10 less clear cut chances than Stoke..and only one more than Bournemouth... We don't create clear cut chances and miss them. We do lots of shots but not from great positions.

We do loads of crosses but it's not the finishing, it's that either no one is in there or it goes over people's heads..so chuck in loads of crosses but if they are rubbish what's the point?

Lots of our play is keeping possession outside the box. We let the opposition set up and inevitably end up going round outside and chucking in a cross.

The stats don't prove anything...they don't prove me or you right and depending on which one you chose you can make anything of it.

The stat I linked to was shots on target so that holds no weight what so ever. We are also bottom of the table for shots to goals conversion rate despite having the 8th most shots On Target in the league if you cant see that our biggest problem this season is finishing there is no hope for you.

and yet oddly we have had the 8th most shots on target of any team in the PL

https://www.premierleague.com/stats/top/clubs/ontarget_scoring_att?se=54

have actually had the most crosses in the PL

https://www.premierleague.com/stats

and are only 8th in the PL for backwards passes (interestingly the teams that have passed backwards more than us are oh yeah the current top 7)

https://www.premierleague.com/stats/top/clubs/backward_pass

there is nothing wrong with the way we play in general (though you can get **** games like hull) what has killed us this year is a totally inability to ****ing score when we get our chances. No goals = boredom which is understandable.

As a ST holder I've sat through plenty of performances like the hull game so my point of view is based on what I've seen. Even when we beat 'boro at home through a slightly fortunate boufal goal, the football was terrible. On Soccer Sat they were talking about how 'boro got themselves relegated....approaching matches by setting up with the primary focus of 'not to lose' and aiming to nick the odd goal....which, in their view, has lead to too many draws and not enough goals. Sound familiar?

Most crosses but just four goals from headers.... It's OK to have lost of ****e crosses but if 1) there is no one in the middle or 2) it sails over everyone's head then what's the point?

No goals from counter attacks?

Big chances missed is loads less than Stoke and one more than Bournemouth...

Some interesting stats on there....

If we had Pelle still or signed a like for like replacement for him in the summer we would've scored crosses galore this season. Some of the deliveries from Bertrand, Prowsey and Cedric have been class but haven't been converted, Jay Rod and Gabbiadini barely go for headers.

Sent from my Moto G (4) using Tapatalk

The stat I linked to was shots on target so that holds no weight what so ever. We are also bottom of the table for shots to goals conversion rate despite having the 8th most shots On Target in the league if you cant see that our biggest problem this season is finishing there is no hope for you.

We've had a number of games where we've had ZERO shots on target. Liverpool x2, Chelsea at home, Man C home etc.

Weve also had tons of games where we've had just 1-3 shots all game.

We would need to have been fairly prolific in some games and games where we've had loads of shots and actually scored a few Leicester and Watford for example have now massaged the "average" stats.

Is anyone surprised we take more crosses than anyone else? Our approach play is so slow that generally shoveling it out wide to the fullback or Tadic is the only option left other than recycling it back to Forster for a punt upfield. Bertrand and Tadic are decent crossers, but Cedric has a tendency to balloon 9 out of 10, and besides, due to the aforementioned slowness in approach, most crosses end up being made against a well set defence, meaning they aren't all that difficult to defend against.

Could finish 8th, cup final, beat Inter during European jaunt, fixture congestion, major injuries. Enough said.

Could finish 8th, won a cup final, beat Inter home and away and got to at least semis of Europa, not much more fixtures than others, it's all it's and buts

Could finish 8th, cup final, beat Inter during European jaunt, fixture congestion, major injuries. Enough said.

I think most fans would have taken the league position at the start of the season. Getting to a cup final was brilliant. However the football has been so insipid the majority of fans will be relived when Puel goes at the end of the season. Harsh i know, but the club has to do it to get some positivity back. Hopefully it will be mutual consent.

One of the biggest issues with Puel is rightly or wrongly he's divided the fanbase and rather than us fans being united and one (together) we are arguing and are divided.

Under Mopo and Koeman the fans were together as one and we need to remove Puel now to return to this strong bond.

The fans were not united under Mopo, a large section remained angry about NA dismissal and hadn't heard of the unknown lad (as LMc called him) who couldn't speak English

I think that subsided after about 3 games !

The fans were not united under Mopo, a large section remained angry about NA dismissal and hadn't heard of the unknown lad (as LMc called him) who couldn't speak English

yeah, that lasted for a couple of weeks.

I think "alongside a lot of average sides" is about right for us this season. We'll never know how well we'd have done if any of a whole range of factors had been different - the Fonte shinanigans, a proper replacement when he went, injuries, different manager, less rotation, more rotation, different tactics.

I'm not 100% happy with Puel but on balance think he deserves another season, if he wants it.

And on the changes yesterday, Puel's got a lose-lose situation. He hasn't actually made many changes recently, so the team have had a chance to build understanding and coherence. That's had mixed success so perhaps new faces were needed. But his declared intention was to keep the team fresh and fit, so we can probably expect him to revert on Weds.

So is that unfair on players who came in and had decent games, or unfair on the "first team" who are getting used to playing together consistently if he keeps some of yesterday's players? Can't win.

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

Edited by Shroppie
Ki

You seem to use logic only when it suits. This is a thread about Puel right? You're defending Puel, because he is the current Saints manager. So why would Tadic's performances under another manager matter, unless it's to highlight how relatively poor he's been under Puel? Was that your point? That here's a formerly decent creative player who is now rubbish under Puel's management?

Today sums up Puel for me. Loads of changes again and you know damn well, win lose or draw, however they perform it'll be loads of change next game too. And people wonder why so many players have struggled for form this season. Playing well and getting dropped frustrates players, it stops you building a coherent first team with decent understanding.

Whether we come 8th or 12th we're just stuck alongside a lot of average sides. Below Everton I'd say everyone is pretty poor this season, lot of luck over who finishes where in mid-table, mostly it'll come down to who wins final day.

Really fear for next season under this guy yet some posters seem to think all is great if we ever win. The first team is just a mess right now but all I see new signings doing under Puel is increasing his rotation obsession.

Is this a joke?

He's named more or less the same squad for the past few games. Our form has been quite poor, so a few changes were entirely necessary. And guess what, we won! Credit to Puel there.

The rotation was necessary earlier because of all the games we had. Only a moron would fail to understand that. Which would explain a lot...

If we had Pelle still or signed a like for like replacement for him in the summer we would've scored crosses galore this season. Some of the deliveries from Bertrand, Prowsey and Cedric have been class but haven't been converted, Jay Rod and Gabbiadini barely go for headers.

Sent from my Moto G (4) using Tapatalk

I don't agree, we had Austin and he can score from crosses prolifically, but either due to our set up or some other reason, he often wasn't in the middle when a cross came in.

Lol so I can only use your stat? Other stats which prove its not shooting that's an issue its the positions we are creating and shooting from are not valid...you are right, we will never agree...let's see next season when all the excuses for Puel are gone (although when Gabbi signed we were told it would be so so different as he was e missing link but actually very little has changed) whether we suddenly go from the joint worse goal scorers at home to scoring a reasonable amount. I know where my money is.

I have been told Claude Puel is basically gone at the end of the season.

I've been told there are 3 people on the list.

One of them IS Ranieri and the one of the others is a CURRENT NON-English Manager in England, I know the name but I cannot give it.

The other no idea.

I also know that one of them is being spoken to RIGHT NOW and I'd assume that is Ranieri as he is not contracted.

I realise the usual suspects will quote me and call me out on this and the vagueness, this is as much information as I can give.

Take this what you will unless something radically changes Puel is being replaced.

One of them IS Ranieri and the one of the others is a CURRENT NON-English Manager in England, I know the name but I cannot give it.

The other no idea.

I also know that one of them is being spoken to RIGHT NOW and I'd assume that is Ranieri as he is not contracted.

I realise the usual suspects will quote me and call me out on this and the vagueness, this is as much information as I can give.

Take this what you will unless something radically changes Puel is being replaced.

you could tell the writing was on the wall in his pre Boro presser.

Jack Schitt skilled as ever at playing the percentages.

:lol:

can't remember what the bloke said last year which turned out to be majorly wrong haha- was it that Pellegrini was definitely coming or something even worse than that?!?!

yeah, that lasted for a couple of weeks.

Indeed.

And, to add to that, I'd also mention it wasn't like we were suddenly effortlessly winning game after game under Pochettino. I'm pretty sure that the 3-1 against City was his only win in his first 7 or 8 matches if I remember rightly.

Its almost as if the majority of Saints fans (there are of course, exceptions) aren't quite the knee-jerk nutters that many think they are, and are far more patient than some might realise.

Jack Schitt skilled as ever at playing the percentages.

How is this for skilled:

You are a complete and utter imbecile.

I am absolutely NOTHING to do with "Jack Schitt" and this is the last time I'm replying to you.

To swop Ranieri for Puel is a big mistake IMO. I haven't seen evidence that the players are not happy with the manager, the perfomances are not showing lack of energy for the team.

Not reading many peole begging for Silva today, and watching the lack of fight and want to win by Hull hardly shows him being Mr Motivator

That is most likely true yes, expecting it to happen by the end of June.

The one who's non English and the one who's already been spoken to are the same person and it's not Ranieri.

Indeed.

And, to add to that, I'd also mention it wasn't like we were suddenly effortlessly winning game after game under Pochettino. I'm pretty sure that the 3-1 against City was his only win in his first 7 or 8 matches if I remember rightly.

Its almost as if the majority of Saints fans (there are of course, exceptions) aren't quite the knee-jerk nutters that many think they are, and are far more patient than some might realise.

his 4th game i think tbf.

we started with a 0-0 vs everton but also narrowly lost at OT 2-1 and Sir Alex Ferguson called us best team to come to Old Trafford that season too... Poch had a pretty immediate impact

TBF it should be quite easy to work out...

Non-English rules out Shakespere, Howe, Allerdicci, Dyche, Hughes & Moyes (because I doubt you'd make that distinction), Pulis, Clement, Agnew, Pardew

Common sense rules out: MoPo, Koeman, Conte, Guardiola, Mourinho

Possibles: Bilic, Silva, Klopp :),

Oh... is it Silva; could it be?

Otherwise we're into the Championship and the Sheffield Wednesday guy. Anyone else is too left field.

his 4th game i think tbf.

we started with a 0-0 vs everton but also narrowly lost at OT 2-1 and Sir Alex Ferguson called us best team to come to Old Trafford that season too... Poch had a pretty immediate impact

Yep. Would say he had a pretty immediate impact, granted we were picking up in form before MP's appointment.

The 0-0 against the Everton was one of the most lopsided scoreless draws I've seen. We missed chance after chance which made this season look clinical. At OT, I barely remember United getting of their own half in the second half. A fearless performance which went against everything you'd expect from an underdog playing away at a big four side. We then conceded a last minute equaliser at Wigan, again after squandering some great chances before rounding things off with the home victory against City.

I'm happy to give Puel another season, in order to impose his ideas, with his players and stamp his authority on a team that isn't yet his.

Whilst I have also found periods of our play boring and frustrating, surely the close season is a time where having seen our failings, particularly an inability to score, Claude should now recruit and coach to address these issues. If he doesn't and there is no improvement next season then his position should be questioned.

With that in mind let's look at our 'season' when you consider we lost a manager, Fonte, Mane, Pelle and Wanyama - the enforced long absences of Van Dyke and Austin, the extra games of the Europa, FA and League cups with of course the final appearance and a possible 8th/10th place we could all name a host of other PL teams who would be pleased with that.

Indeed when you look at what the likes of those teams above us have achieved, how many have actually something to show for their season, despite the larger wages and budgets? At least our players have a runners up medal and got to play in Europe!

The other 'issue' in my opinion is Puel's demeanor, particularly in front of camera, he's softly spoken, verging on dull - but be careful what you wish for, do we want someone who is a character perhaps lean towards a Mourinho type, all me, me me - certainly I do not?

Finally I note a number of 'names' have already been mentioned as his replacement,

Silva - really? his tactics are sit deep and hit them on the counter..oh that's what we tend to do- so where's the improvement in that?

Ranieri...really?.... I mean really??..... I'm sure i'm not alone in liking the guy but his bolt has been well and truly shot - he's had his day in the sun - he was fired for goodness sake - a PL winning team gave up on him, you don't get much of a more damning indictment!

Give Puel another season, lets see how he and the team develop, if we're going backwards get rid but otherwise keep the faith.

TBF it should be quite easy to work out...

Non-English rules out Shakespere, Howe, Allerdicci, Dyche, Hughes & Moyes (because I doubt you'd make that distinction), Pulis, Clement, Agnew, Pardew

Common sense rules out: MoPo, Koeman, Conte, Guardiola, Mourinho

Possibles: Bilic, Silva, Klopp :),

Oh... is it Silva; could it be?

Otherwise we're into the Championship and the Sheffield Wednesday guy. Anyone else is too left field.

Still leaves Jokanovic in the running from the clues given.