Puel out

Lastman73

And that is the problem in a nutshell.

When we've been good we've been awesome but by and large that's not been the case and we've certainly regressed recently.

I've been pretty pro-Puel in general, I can see what he's trying to achieve, but as the season draws to and end, I've concluded, personally, that a "mutual consent" should be forthcoming and we move forward from there.

I think that is likely to happen. His latest presser, he swerved comments about what he will be doing at saints next season, spoke a lot about a 3 game season and the requirement to finish top half and that 'other things' will be spoken about in the summer.

When we've been good we've been awesome but by and large that's not been the case and we've certainly regressed recently.

I've been pretty pro-Puel in general, I can see what he's trying to achieve, but as the season draws to and end, I've concluded, personally, that a "mutual consent" should be forthcoming and we move forward from there.

The recent press speculation about a new manager leads to be think that this is probably what will end up happening.

In any case, let's hope that it gets sorted out by the board quickly, either they a) come out and announce their full backing or b) announce his departure.

The recent press speculation about a new manager leads to be think that this is probably what will end up happening.

In any case, let's hope that it gets sorted out by the board quickly, either they a) come out and announce their full backing or b) announce his departure.

Doesn't this generally result in the manager getting the chop a month or so later anyway?

I can understand the temptation by Les to keep faith and give Claude the summer to turn things around, probably what he deserves, looking in from the outside, given the season as a whole. However, I suspect if ST sale drop, key first team players express that they are unhappy with him / the current coaching staff in charge, and we don't see a dramatic improvement, going forwards, in the next 3 games, then Les may not be given a choice but to make a change.

If it is true that Claude's wife is unsettled and that St Etienne are interested (i'm sure I saw this somewhere), then it is probably for the best that it is a 'mutual consent', therefore both saving face.

I like Claude as a person, he seems to generally be a decent bloke and is probably a very good coach / manager, however IMO he is just not suited to us or the Premier League (Serious question, apart from Wenger, have any other french managers been a success in the PL?).

Thanks for your service Claude and thanks for nearly winning us a cup, but it's time to go and good luck for the future!

He's had 50 competitive games this season, 17 League goals in 17 matches at home, FFS 9 goals were scored in three games which leaves 8 in 14, what sort of rubbish is that. We are no nearer scoring regularly at home, the man has one plan pass the ball, stop the goals, play one striker and pray. It doesn't bloody well cut it for me. He's had enough time and games, his rotation was ridiculous 200 changes in 30 games with VVD playing virtually every game. He only changed to 4-2-3-1 of sorts before the Sunderland game because we were on such a poor run. God only knows where we would be if he hadn't changed.

IMO he is out of his depth and the players are doing their best to play in his straitjacket style.

I agree entirely, sad as it is to say.

I included all their signings season 1. VVD Clasie Cedric Romeu Cuco etc were season 2.

The "nature of our system" is to make money. More moneys the only way we'll ever compete with the top 6 on a regular basis. That's why we don't tend to buy ready-made players already at their peak. Looking at Koeman's 1st year signings which will we make money on. Pelle we got lucky thanks to China (5th highest paid player in the world? lol...). Mane we made a killing on (the only typical-age Saints signing). Bertrand we'll profit on. Long/Forster/Tadic/Gardos we probably won't.

Koeman came in buying players he knew that were just about the finished product. Puel came in buying younger "for the future" players and the one he knew well has been injured all season (Pied).

Where was Koeman season two then? Was he not in charge when they were purchased? How can you just exclude all his other signings?

I would argue RK's signings will make us more money than those signed this year.

Puel wasn't here when we signed Remond was he? Do you think he had anything to do with Hojbjerg signing?

The system only makes money if the players are performing well enough to increase in value significantly... And if the manager needs years to get them to do that it won't work.

And top 6? No chance on a regular basis.. The model can't work that way. You cannot sell your best players to teams above you to get money to buy a team to finish above them? Especially when you have to rebuild your first eleven every year.

OK everyone, hypothetical question.

What would be enough for Puel to save his job in the next three games?

Three wins minimum? Two? Or would you get rid of him, regardless of the next three results, even if we win them all 6-0?

Genuinely interested to see what people think.

Three wins minimum? Two? Or would you get rid of him, regardless of the next three results, even if we win them all 6-0?

too late

I'd like to hear him tell us what mistakes he thinks he's made and what he is going to do differently next season!

Yep. "Mutual consent" whether he agrees to it or not.

Considering we've scored 17 goals in 17 games at home, it's very unlikely we'll suddenly score 18 in 3.

I think it is too late, and with Puel's family being unhappy it'll be right for a parting of the ways.

As CB Fry has said a club of our size can always make a dud of an appointment just like Gardos for example has been a dud buy (even if it's not all his fault); as much as I can see what Saints were trying to do with his appointment and what he has done in certain situations, it's pretty clear it hasn't worked out.

As much as the Premier League response to anything going wrong is to tear it down and chuck money at the latest fad, it's obvious what Saints have been doing has been mostly successful. Puel doesn't change that; having said that, I wouldn't be averse to a bit of change at academy level somewhat.

In the minds of some of his detractors on here, whatever happens there would still be reason to get rid.

Play expansive open football and lose - we need results.

Play defensive football and win - boring to watch.

Play defensive football and lose. Meltdown.

Play open football and win - he's still a boring man.

Keep the strongest team - no imagination.

Change the team - always over-rotating.

But seriously, I don't think the last games will make any difference. I guess if Puel wants out, he knows it now, and the same goes for the Board.

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

It would be a combination of results plus performance but I can't see anything changing dramatically at this late stage when he's had a whole season to make his mark.

Question back to you. I'm intrigued as to your level of vehement support of Claude that is pretty much unique on the forum, bar maybe one other. It seems beyond that of a run-of-the-mill fan to so vocally support a manager who, on the face of it, has produced very average results and performances over the course of the season. I accept the EFL argument although we've seen plenty of poorly performing clubs reach cup finals over the years with several of those also being relegated, or very close to it, the same season.

In the minds of some of his detractors on here, whatever happens there would still be reason to get rid.

Play expansive open football and lose - we need results.

Play defensive football and win - boring to watch.

Play defensive football and lose. Meltdown.

Play open football and win - he's still a boring man.

Keep the strongest team - no imagination.

Change the team - always over-rotating.

But seriously, I don't think the last games will make any difference. I guess if Puel wants out, he knows it now, and the same goes for the Board.

You've missed out your number 1 reason from yesterday that the SFC fan base is largely racist against the French. The one you made up and then tried to dig yourself out of.

You've missed out your number 1 reason from yesterday that the SFC fan base is largely racist against the French. The one you made up and then tried to dig yourself out of.

It wasn't made up. If you actually read my post, I said I had heard fans (it was actually just two) expressing the opinion.

And if you also take the time to read later posts (not mine) you'll see that sentiment has been repeated.

But I stand by what I said. Some fans (not me) aren't happy that we have a French manager.

Hard to see a Tuchel-type candidate coming here without assurances of financial backing. Puel may not have got the most out of the squad (so far); but utimately he's had to deal with a squad of variable quality -and a considerable downgrade on previous seasons.

That isn't going to change with the appointment of a new manager, especially if the behind-the-scenes rumours are half true.

It would be a combination of results plus performance but I can't see anything changing dramatically at this late stage when he's had a whole season to make his mark.

Question back to you. I'm intrigued as to your level of vehement support of Claude that is pretty much unique on the forum, bar maybe one other. It seems beyond that of a run-of-the-mill fan to so vocally support a manager who, on the face of it, has produced very average results and performances over the course of the season. I accept the EFL argument although we've seen plenty of poorly performing clubs reach cup finals over the years with several of those also being relegated, or very close to it, the same season.

I don't think my support of him is abnormal at all. Sacking him at any point during this season would have been a complete knee jerk reaction, and would have been worse for this club than standing by him. Never at any point in this season were we close to relegation, at all. Ludicrous to suggest otherwise. I think most people would've been happy with a top 10 finish, which, as it stands, we are on course to achieve.

I do accept that recent performances, in the last month or so, have been way below par. If we lose tomorrow, or draw 0-0 again, I'll probably join the Puel Out brigade. Or rather, the 'quietly do it at the end of the season' brigade.

I think he was doomed from the start with a lot of our fan base. To many people had convinced themselves we were getting Pellegrini last summer . Puel's only chance to win people over was a fast start which didn't happen. Personally think no matter who came in considering the players lost, the less than stellar replacement signings last summer and the general strengthening of the big six this season was always going to feel like going backwards.

I think he was doomed from the start with a lot of our fan base. To many people had convinced themselves we were getting Pellegrini last summer . Puel's only chance to win people over was a fast start which didn't happen. Personally think no matter who came in considering the players lost, the less than stellar replacement signings last summer and the general strengthening of the big six this season was always going to feel like going backwards.

I think people deluded themselves with way over the top expectations. That idiot Jack Schitt account didn't help matters, too any on here bought his BS despite the educated amongst us being able to work out quickly that it was all rubbish.

I don't think my support of him is abnormal at all. Sacking him at any point during this season would have been a complete knee jerk reaction, and would have been worse for this club than standing by him. Never at any point in this season were we close to relegation, at all. Ludicrous to suggest otherwise. I think most people would've been happy with a top 10 finish, which, as it stands, we are on course to achieve.

I do accept that recent performances, in the last month or so, have been way below par. If we lose tomorrow, or draw 0-0 again, I'll probably join the Puel Out brigade. Or rather, the 'quietly do it at the end of the season' brigade.

I didn't mean we were near relegation but that teams have proven time and time again that a good cup run of a handful of games is not necessarily representative of their overall 'form'. A lot of credence is attached to our EFL cup run, maybe rightly so. Maybe not.

A couple of things have frustrated me with Puel. Firstly, his grossly exaggerated rotation system to cope with a total extra of 6 Europa games over a near 3 month period. Secondly, that since we have been free of the onerous demands of Europa and in conjunction with having had extra time to impart his tactics and brand we have seen no real trend in improvement in either performances or results. To me he's just a very average manager who I'm completely ambivalent towards. But I do think we could do better and I think even with the squad we have we should be playing better than we are.

Edited by Greenridge

I didn't mean we were near relegation but that teams have proven time and time again that a good cup run of a handful of games is not necessarily representative of their overall 'form'. A lot of credence is attached to our EFL cup run, maybe rightly so. Maybe not.

A couple of things have frustrated me with Puel. Firstly, his grossly exaggerated rotation system to cope with a total extra of 6 Europa games over a near 3 month period. Secondly, that since we have been free of the onerous demands of Europa and in conjunction with having had extra time to impart his tactics and brand we have seen no real trend in improvement in either performances or results. To me he's just a very average manager who I'm completely ambivalent towards. But I do think we could do better and I think even with the squad we have we should be playing better than we are.

I think to reach the final in his first season, something that Pochettino and Koeman couldn't manage, is something that deserves recognition.

On top of that we threw the home FA Cup game against Arsenal.

I think to reach the final in his first season, something that Pochettino and Koeman couldn't manage, is something that deserves recognition.

Since you seem desperate to heap praise on Puel how about praising him for the incredible 36 point swing with Everton?

We finished 16 ahead of them last season

20 behind this.

That deserves some applause surely?

An amazing effort

Since you seem desperate to heap praise on Puel how about praising him for the incredible 36 point swing with Everton?

We finished 16 ahead of them last season

20 behind this.

That deserves some applause surely?

An amazing effort

They had fewer games in comparison to us.

Let's see how they do next season when they have to play two games every week.

The Europa League has hindered our season, without a doubt.

They had fewer games in comparison to us.

Let's see how they do next season when they have to play two games every week.

6 games over three months the last of which was over six months ago.

I'd love to see us make a move for Jokanovic if Fulham don't come up. He'd be a decent fit for us. Knows how to develop young players. Seems to have a good balance of youth and experience. Fulham are the highest scoring team in the Championship and have the highest average possession. His teams pass the ball well and play at a high tempo. His sports science methods fit perfectly with what Saints have been doing for years. He's much more like Poch than Puel.

It's not just that though. It's travelling to and from, less preparation for the weekend matches, less time spent on the training ground. It has had a massive impact, and hopefully the club has learnt massively from it.

Let's see how they d

Yes you are correct those two extra games were a *****. However just to prove your point we've been electric since we failed at the first hurdle 6 months ago.

Before the start of the i would have said midtable plus a cup final. Of course now we've got that, it's not good enough. After seeing Poch finish 8th with no cup final, Koeman 6th with no cup final in their first seasons, I expect Puel to finish top 6. Even though he's got a far worst set of players, i want that . Unless Puel finishes top 6 and plays football like Barcelona I want him out. I pay money to attend games and I deserve to get my money's worth. If I don't like Puel someone else should be appointed and if I don't like them, sack them as well. I demand a top 6 finish AND great attacking football . I called for lawries head in 1973 and had the board listened to me, we'd have won more than one poxy FA Cup. **** me, we're Southampton and midtable plus a cup final is unacceptable.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Edited by Lord Duckhunter

Believe me if you want or don't, I don't really give a **** but this is from a horses mouth. VVD, Bertrand, Tadic and Long all want out this summer. Puel is not liked whatsoever and a number of senior players have said it's him or us.

A lot more to it of course and these names are no surprise, but he is not popular at all.

Edited by LGTL

Believe me if you want or don't, I don't really give a **** but this is from a horses mouth. VVD, Bertrand, Tadic and Long all want out this summer. Puel is not liked whatsoever and a number of senior players have said it's him or us.

A lot more to it of course and these names are no surprise, but he is not popular at all.

I think we all gather this from the many rumours in the last few weeks.

Puel knows he's on borrowed time and IMHO Reed knows this too.

Once again we have to trust Reed to bring the right man in and don't take a stupid gamble this time.

Why do they dislike him so strongly?

If this is the case (and also the talk that his family have not settled) then surely Les will act !

For me these would be good reasons for change but if it were to be based purely on one seasons league placing/ performance then I reckon he should be given a further chance !

My guess would be that they don't actually understand the message he is trying to get across !

If they really do dislike him that much it's more likely to do with personality than his ability to communicate.

various things are not right at the club, like having our club captain so determined to leave and ending up at West Ham. Would be interesting to know a bit more.

If this is the case (and also the talk that his family have not settled) then surely Les will act !

For me these would be good reasons for change but if it were to be based purely on one seasons league placing/ performance then I reckon he should be given a further chance !

But Les is the one who they all seem to fall out with. Nearly all of our best staff, both on and off the pitch, managers, coaches, players, backroom staff alike, have left the Club or been sold now.

To be fair, I'd expect those players mentioned to want to leave regardless of the managerial situation.

Van Dijk and Bertrand are very much in demand and can do better than waste their careers struggling to finish above the likes of West Brom and Watford in lower mid-table nomansland when they could be playing in the Champions League; Tadic thinks he's something special, and Long can't get in the team on account of being total crap.

But Les is the one who they all seem to fall out with. Nearly all of our best staff, both on and off the pitch, managers, coaches, players, backroom staff alike, have left the Club or been sold now.

None because they fell out with Led Reed.

You're forgetting about the fixture schedule. The additional games need to be seen in the context of an unhelpful and frankly quite bizarre fixture schedule. Your judgements may or may not be correct but surely they should be based on all of the facts.

Horse's mouth or horses arse? Yet wait, there's a lot more to it of course. Let's have it then.