Martin Caceres Signs - Official

Katalinic

Palace were apparently looking at Careces as back up in case they didn't get Sakho. They got Sakho and now have a full compliment of 25 players so they can't have him even if they wanted him.

We need him, let's get him but in reality, we've become so desperate, we're signing Crystal Palace back up targets because they offered more in wages for our #1 target.

In terms of pedigree, if this was a precursor to Fonte leaving I think everyone would be pretty pleased. It's just that the timing makes it all seem a little desperate!

Also, Essien is a good shout if he's still got the legs. He's exactly the sort of midfielder we need.

Agree on both counts - we absolutely have to get a CB in the door and Essien would add something to a faltering midfield.

Palace were apparently looking at Careces as back up in case they didn't get Sakho. They got Sakho and now have a full compliment of 25 players so they can't have him even if they wanted him.

We need him, let's get him but in reality, we've become so desperate, we're signing Crystal Palace back up targets because they offered more in wages for our #1 target.

Who cares? He's bound to be an upgrade on what we have. No use grumbling as we have no other way to improve this dire situation. Let's sign him and then cross our fingers.

Who cares? He's bound to be an upgrade on what we have. No use grumbling as we have no other way to improve this dire situation. Let's sign him and then cross our fingers.

Why is there no use grumbling? We had plenty of time to try and find a CB. A whole window in fact. Now we are resigned to signing a 29 year old CB who has been injured for a year and has been a free agent for over 7 months, who's also not match fit, who will command a fairly high wage and possibly a signing on fee, who Palace had on trial and decided not to sign.

I'm not saying he'll be a flop or anything but what part of that paragraph sounds like the workings of a well run and thought out transfer window?

Smacks of absolute desperation, but surely better than whatever that was on Saturday. 6 month contract please Les, let's get him in now and try and get him ready for the cup final.

Personally I'd give him 18 month deal (up until the end of next season) as no matter how bad he is, I'm not sure he'll be any worse than Martina as cover at RB.

What's with all the short contracts? On paper he is a class signing. If we think he can do the job he should be getting a 3 and a half-year contract, if possible, to take him up to the same age Fonte is.

football isn't played on paper.

He's not played for a while (no real indication on how well he's recovered from his injury) and a shorter contract lessens the risk of having someone sat on the bench on reasonable wages.

football isn't played on paper.

He's not played for a while (no real indication on how well he's recovered from his injury) and a shorter contract lessens the risk of having someone sat on the bench on reasonable wages.

If he's got a latent injury he won't recover from we shouldn't sign him at all.

If he hasn't we should take advantage of the opportunity to get a class player for minimal outlay and sign him up to a proper contract.

He's having a medical according to Di Marzio.

The Southampton continues to deal with Martin Caceres. medical examinations taking place in these moments for the former Juventus defender, who yesterday gave the definitive no to Milan. Even the British want to see clearly on the Uruguayan defender conditions, which has also been contacted by Sunderland, with no success. Negotiations more alive than ever with the "Saints": Caceres could soon reach Manolo Gabbiadini.

Edited by beavis17

The medical is obviously crucial. He's had exactly one year to recover from the Achilles' tendon. Has it been a success?

Are there other problems? How aerobically fit is he? Mobility, weight, flexibility and acceleration? How long will it take to get match fit? We need help urgently.

exciting. top player. The question is do you give him game time against Sunderland, then u21 match or friendly. is that enough to start him in the final?

that's very much how I would see it.

He obviously hasn't just been sat around doing nothing whilst he's not been at a club, so he'll be physically fit, it's just the match sharpness he'll be lacking.

Given our current situation, I'd argue he only needs to be half match fit to improve our back 4.

that's very much how I would see it.

He obviously hasn't just been sat around doing nothing whilst he's not been at a club, so he'll be physically fit, it's just the match sharpness he'll be lacking.

Given our current situation, I'd argue he only needs to be half match fit to improve our back 4.

Wow, they are the kind of assumptions I'd make too when dolling out a few million sqid.

Don't really know much about him tbh. How good is he? Is he usually a CB or RB? What sort of defender is he?

He seems to have a good pedigree, but appears to be very injury prone, so we may not get too many games out of him. Could work as a short term solution, or could just be somebody to keep Austin, Van Dyke company in the Injury room ......

Why is there no use grumbling? We had plenty of time to try and find a CB. A whole window in fact. Now we are resigned to signing a 29 year old CB who has been injured for a year and has been a free agent for over 7 months, who's also not match fit, who will command a fairly high wage and possibly a signing on fee, who Palace had on trial and decided not to sign.

I'm not saying he'll be a flop or anything but what part of that paragraph sounds like the workings of a well run and thought out transfer window?

No one think it was a well run window and the cb thing has been a monumental c*ck up which could seriously impact our season. Having said that, there is nothing we can do about it at all other than to sign this bloke and hope it works out. I am annoyed that the club allowed this to happen but won't be moaning at the club for going with the one option now available to them. This makes the most sense given the options available.