Saints V Man United - Post Match Reactions

St Chalet

created chances, defended solidly (with the exception of all their goals).

We defended solidly ...... Oh yeah apart from all their goals.... How is that defending solidly?

Sent from my Moto G (4) using Tapatalk

Defending solidly (apart from all the goals) ......It's kinda the way parentheses work. In this case, it means you have to take the goals out of the equation and judge the remainder of the defence during the match. With this in mind, his quote was pretty accurate........It's kinda like saying that Newton was a total genius (except for that one time when he cut his own hair with a chainsaw)

Edited by Ohio Saint

I think the game turned on three moments for us, which shows how football is a game of minute margins.

Gabbiadini's disallowed goal - if we go 1-0 up, it is a completely different game as United have to come chasing the game.

Romeu's header which hit the post - had that gone in, we go 3-2 up and they would have been deflated.

But the third moment - and I think the most significant and the poorest refereeing decision - was when Marriner let Lingard off the hook when he tripped Redmond.

He was booked first half for exactly the same thing, and Marriner did not apply the letter of the law, which he should have.

I hate to see players diving, it is the biggest blot on the modern game. But Redmond staying on his feet kept Redmond on the pitch.

Had Redmond gone over, Marriner would have had little option but to send Lingard off. In that instance when Redmond gave Marriner the opportunity to play the advantage, he also gave the referee the get out of jail card he needed to not dismiss Lingard. When the referee eventually caught up with Lingard, the moment had gone and he got away with a ticking off, when it should have been a second yellow.

Again, as with the disallowed goal, and Romeu's header, if United are reduced to 10 men with 20-odd minutes left, it is a different game.

The difference today is that United had three moments in the game which they took advantage of (to be honest, they did little else up front but score, although you could argue that is clinical finishing).

We had three moments which cost us dearly, two of which were beyond our control.

Frustrating isn't it. Redmond decided not to make a meal of it and attack the ball, yet that cheat Herrera was rolling around pretending Romeu caught him in the face....and they say that cheats never prosper.

Another pivotal moment is that OR got in an excellent block but couldn't see where the ball went and United pit it out wide and crossed for the winning goal. Fine margins.

Tired. Are you f*cking kidding. They played 3 games before this final, and we were sunning it up for 2 weeks. DELULDED!!!

I was responding to someone who said he should have come off because he was tired. I agree that he shouldn't have come off!

Waiting for the train at Victoria, plenty of Saints fans still around. Great day out and a great game overall. Loved being back there in a similar seat to the one I had for the JPT.

VERY unlucky to not be celebrating a cup win just hope we get there again sooner than every 7 years now!

Proud of the team and the fans.

And now another pint

OOO

Saints were superb. Our CB's, when we're otherwise brilliant, gave a little bit too much space when it counted and we were penalised.

Mr Magoo the linesman won't sleep well the tonight.

If it had been the other way around and it cost Man U he would of lost sleep. But as its Saints, he will take his wages and not worry.

On my way home- my mate got a ticket in the United end for £140 in the end- he told me the touts out their tonight were cu*ts till he reached a conclusion with one of them at around 4:15.

Anyways- gutted is all I have to say, great support from our side of things and should have gone to extra time. Their first goal should have been stopped by Forster and the second and third goal felt like schoolboy errors- how can someone like Ibra be allowed a free header from that close.

Also what really pis*ed me off were all the United fans turning their lights on after Ibra's goal- go fuc* off you Manc cvnts

On the coach not far from the stadium feeling absolutely gutted. Cracking performance though, clearly the best team lost. Gabi will quite rightly get the headlines from our perspective but Yoshida was excellent. Looking forward to getting home and having a look at their winner. From the far end it llooked like Fraser should have done better. Only two hours or so to go!

Magnificent performance, they couldn't have given any more on the pitch.

Beg to differ - Forster could have done much more - arguably could have saved all 3 goals (arguably). Their keeper pulled off some great saves and was the difference in my view. Let's get a decent keeper in the summer, and for now give the others a chance. Agree the rest were great

The lads were brilliant, I'm very proud of them. A good chance we'll keep this team together for next season. If we do, I wouldn't rule out another Wembley visit soon and a top 4 finish

Sent from my HTC 10 using Tapatalk

get a grip you complete twot

We defended solidly ...... Oh yeah apart from all their goals.... How is that defending solidly?

Sent from my Moto G (4) using Tapatalk

Yeah like I said, apart from the 3 goals I wasn't worried defensively, neither were Saints.

Shame.

A mate of mine who is a united fan and in their end believes we lost it when Gabbiadini and tadic came off. Momentum shifted as we would have won

In his opinion

I was puzzled with every substitution today.

Boufal was on a mission not to pass and Long should of come on earlier for Tadic who started to put in his sulking shift around the 70th minute.

It's annoying having to pretend to be grateful for an honorable defeat. Plenty of people are going to feel aggrieved at the nature of that loss for a number of reasons, and their irritation is in no way at odds with anyone else's admiration for the way the team played. I thought we were great, but my overwhelming feeling is one of injustice, not pride. Oh, and we shouldn't have taken Gabbi off.

This

very proud of the team and fans we were the better fans and team by far as born out by all the stats and commentators.

Always easy to be clever after the event but we really should have kept Gabbi on he would more than likely have got to the cross that just evaded Long and JWP just mins after he came off and was certainly needed for possible Extra time and even pens. Bringing a half fit Boufal for Tadic was also risky as Tadic is better at retaining possession we probably should have brought on the new Uruguayan to shore up the defence if he had 40 mins in him probably and long for Redmond for fresh legs..

I thought we played well. Yes we had defensive lapses, however MU is a tough team. In addition we were screwed out of a goal, it should have been 3-3. I am starting to see something in this team. Keep it together, and add back in VvD and Austin, then I think we may have something.

I thought we gave a very good account of ourselves but it will always remain a mystery (to me) why Forster has positioned himself the way he has for the first goal, he literally left the goal the wide open for Zlatan to score.

We've certainly found a gem of a striker in Gabbiadini and will need to be prepared for the big clubs to come knocking in the summer....

I thought we were magnificent today throughout the team, but were ultimately undone by a couple of individual errors/lapses and a bit of a masterclass in finishing by Zlatan. The boys can all feel very proud, but especially cedric, yoshida, ward prowse, gabbiadini, redmond, romeu and bertrand. Proud to be a saints fan and proud of the display the boys put in today.

Hard to put it better than that. With any bit of luck we would have won but having Zlatan is pure class. Oh for VVD. Best part today was the way we worked going forward. Was a long trip to get to see the game but I left proud of the team - knowing he best team lost.

Agree with this. For most of the game we surged forward at every opportunity. Very impressive.

That performance had a lot of quality and even more guts, but in the end United have players who can rise to the occasion. Tough to take when we outplayed them for so long, but oh well. It's a privilege to follow this club.

Our fans were great once they got going, and the scarves were a nice touch. Sense our relationship with United might get a bit spicy for a while after their reaction to the lights.

That performance had a lot of quality and even more guts, but in the end United have players who can rise to the occasion. Tough to take when we outplayed them for so long, but oh well. It's a privilege to follow this club.

Our fans were great once they got going, and the scarves were a nice touch. Sense our relationship with United might get a bit spicy for a while after their reaction to the lights.

Their support was laughable bad today. They did not make a sound apart from to take the **** out of that. All of them sat their in their black north face jackets trying to look hard but without making a sound. At least we made some noise

First and foremost, our boys did the club proud. A few observations tho ....

1. Lino's fault for the offside decision.

2. Romeu's dodgy tackle with the dodgy simulation which gave the goal away.

3. Baffled by Puel's decision to put Long on for Gabbi. Was it not the time to put a midfielder on instead? Puel does not know how to park a bus I suppose.

4. Not too sure what Boufal was doing in the game.

I thought we gave a very good account of ourselves but it will always remain a mystery (to me) why Forster has positioned himself the way he has for the first goal, he literally left the goal the wide open for Zlatan to score.

We've certainly found a gem of a striker in Gabbiadini and will need to be prepared for the big clubs to come knocking in the summer....

Percy fella, sadly the reason is Forster is a dreadful goalkeeper. Even given his poor positioning he still should have saved that. If Ibrahimovic had taken maximum advantage and stuck it just inside the post then maybe not, but it was 2 foot inside the post.

Their support was laughable bad today. They did not make a sound apart from to take the **** out of that. All of them sat their in their black north face jackets trying to look hard but without making a sound. At least we made some noise

Was very noticeable looking over at the Utd end... Hardly anything red in sight, just an entire bank of 'fans' clad in dark clothing. Saints end was awash with red and white. Hey ho, I'm sure they had a triffic day out.

Hmmm black North Face jackets. The hardest of all terrace fashion statements.

Good to see the generally positive reaction on here. Very proud to see the lads have a real go. Romeu, Gabbers & JWP were really great. There's no shame in being beaten by a player like Ibra. Continue to play like that for the rest of the season and we'll be top 10 again no problem.