Other Premier League Transfers - Deadline Day

Lighthouse

Why do people want to sign Ake? He's not what we need at all. I doubt he's any better than Yoshida, frankly, and at £20million he's a pretty crap signing, if you ask me.

Defoe - good player but when you sign someone that age you are gambling not just on performance but on physical capability so a three year deal is potentially a millstone around their necks. Could be a great signing but probably not a gamble we need to take.

Begovic - was good when he played regularly. Who knows now? Also, a bit odd seeing as Boruc won their player of the year awards last year. Would surely make more sense to sign a younger up-and-coming keeper to phase in over time?

So, in summary, I think AFCB are doing well for a club their size but they shouldn't be the model for us.

I want us to win matches in the here-and-now but we have been demonstrating over the last few years that signing players with future resale profit is a good model if you get it right. Of those three signings above, two will definitely not appreciate in value and one may well not. That can cause problems in the future.

Their model is completely unsustainable. I seem to recall another south coast team spending beyond its means.

It'll go tits up soon.

Don't see why it's unsustainable, they got a couple of million less than us from the PL Sky fund, their gate receipts would be far less but I don't think that they have the top heavy academy structure that we do. Some seem to think that we can afford 20 million for a player and yet Bournemouth can't. Their wage bill must be about 2/3 of ours or less as well.

Edited by Window Cleaner

People need to get their heads around the fact that £5-12 million bracket players we are use to signing are rapidly becoming £15-20 million players just through the sheer madness of PL transfer fee inflation. Its seems like every player we sell people consider to have been sold to cheaply yet every player other teams buy is over priced. 20 million for a young up coming, PL proven, CB in Ake is not a bad price at all in the current transfer market.

People need to get their heads around the fact that £5-12 million bracket players we are use to signing are rapidly becoming £15-20 million players just through the sheer madness of PL transfer fee inflation. Its seems like every player we sell people consider to have been sold to cheaply yet every player other teams buy is over priced. 20 million for a young up coming, PL proven, CB in Ake is not a bad price at all in the current transfer market.

Bingo. Well said.

Some Saints fans are living with transfer fees from several years ago. Ake at £20 million is proven PL quality. If we want to sign proven PL quality it will cost Saints that as well. You don't get something for nothing - yes, you can buy unproven young players from abroad, then the risk is with Saints. They may, or may not make it. Boufal and Hoijbjerg cost 12 and 16 million each, but have far from been proven as great signings so far (they can improve obviously, but they may not...). Why is it Saints signings are amazingly brilliant, in some on here's eyes, but everyone elses are a waste of money?

Bizarre.

Is he "proven"?

He's played half a season. Same as Stephens and I think the jury's out.

Yoshida must be worth, what, about £30million then?

He also had a season long loan with Watford in the PL, not just Bournemouth. He also scored 3 goals in 10 games for Bournemouth, we could do with that from our strikers, let alone a DM...

He also had a season long loan with Watford in the PL, not just Bournemouth. He also scored 3 goals in 10 games for Bournemouth, we could do with that from our strikers, let alone a DM...

They also conceded 3+ goals in 6 of the 9 games he played 90 with Bournemouth. That's appalling.

WATFORD INTERESTED IN CHALOBAH

Watford are interested in Chelsea midfielder Nathaniel Chalobah, according to Sky sources.

Sky Sports News HQ understands Chalobah will hold talks with Chelsea about his future next week.

Chalobah enjoyed a successful loan spell at Vicarage Road in the 2012/13 season.

Would be surprised if he stays at B'mouth, and if he goes, think that he will be a big loss for them.

Other than having age on his side, he is no better than Defoe.

If I had the choice for the next 2 seasons, it'd be Defoe every day of the week.

Other than having age on his side, he is no better than Defoe.

If I had the choice for the next 2 seasons, it'd be Defoe every day of the week.

According to this forum there is no-one better than Defoe. Baffling why he is not at Barcelona or Real Madrid. Guaranteed goals every game.

Every time he has hurt saints with a goal or two. Oh no that is just everyone's prediction every time before he comes up against us.

Just imagine what he'd do in the MLS?

According to this forum there is no-one better than Defoe. Baffling why he is not at Barcelona or Real Madrid. Guaranteed goals every game.

Every time he has hurt saints with a goal or two. Oh no that is just everyone's prediction every time before he comes up against us.

He was dreadful towards the end of the season.

In any case I see an awful lot of 50 million + rated players being sold every day by the media, I don't yet see any of these fantasy football transfers actually happening. Early days yet but many will end up where they started in May with not a bent halfpenny being spent on them.

this one is interesting

Barcelona activate Deulofeu buy-back clause

Barcelona have activated their buy-back clause to re-sign winger Gerard Deulofeu from Everton, in a move reportedly worth €12 million.

http://www.msn.com/en-gb/sport/football/barcelona-activate-deulofeu-buy-back-clause/ar-BBDuQUZ?li=AA572I&ocid=spartandhp

Don't think Koeman actually wanted him anyway. Bloke runs around a lot but the end product is oft missing.

Good deal for Everton, made 6 million or so on him.

:lol:

West Ham have club record bids rejected for two strikers - @JBurtTelegraph

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/football/2017/06/30/west-ham-have-record-bids-rejected-anthony-modeste-cedric-bakambu/

]

WHU are going to have a team of pensioners if they carry on at this rate. I do hope they go down this season. Horrible, spiteful people in charge, and an entitled fan base just because they is London, innit.

Why is it Saints signings are amazingly brilliant, in some on here's eyes, but everyone elses are a waste of money?

Bizarre.

Maybe it's people's differing opinions perhaps?

Often the opposite is true cos I guess not everyone sees players in the same light with transfer business not being an exact science.

Bournemouth signing Jordan Ibe was a real ambitious sign of intent. Look how good he was on the telly that time? Looks a world beater. We only get sh1tty old Redmond.

That is normally how it goes.

Why is it Saints signings are amazingly brilliant, in some on here's eyes, but everyone elses are a waste of money?

Bizarre.

Pretty sure it's mainly the other way round.

Why oh why why oh why why did we not sign him? We're getting left behind again left behind left behind I tells ya.

Chelsea have gone for Rudiger over VVD it appears.

Looked a major young talent a couple of seasons ago before a knee injury set him back. Not unlike Kurt Zouma in that respect.

Not sure he's much of an upgrade over Zouma, to be honest, but hey - not our problem...

WHU are going to have a team of pensioners if they carry on at this rate. I do hope they go down this season. Horrible, spiteful people in charge, and an entitled fan base just because they is London, innit.

I know it's only perception but they seem to move from target to target really quickly. You have to wonder how much due diligence they actually spend on their signings.

Weird that Onyekuru has signed but immediately gone on a season long loan, does this happen often?

Arsenal used to be a dab hand at it, signing players that had no chance of getting a work permit and loaning them out until they

qualified. Some of them never even played a game for the Arse and got moved on after a few seasons. Not sure that Chelsea don't do it either. This lad had probably been in Belgium for a while and can get citezenship in a year or so if he doesn't get the required number of Nigeria appearances beforehand.

Why do people want to sign Ake? He's not what we need at all. I doubt he's any better than Yoshida, frankly, and at £20million he's a pretty crap signing, if you ask me.

Defoe - good player but when you sign someone that age you are gambling not just on performance but on physical capability so a three year deal is potentially a millstone around their necks. Could be a great signing but probably not a gamble we need to take.

Begovic - was good when he played regularly. Who knows now? Also, a bit odd seeing as Boruc won their player of the year awards last year. Would surely make more sense to sign a younger up-and-coming keeper to phase in over time?

So, in summary, I think AFCB are doing well for a club their size but they shouldn't be the model for us.

I want us to win matches in the here-and-now but we have been demonstrating over the last few years that signing players with future resale profit is a good model if you get it right. Of those three signings above, two will definitely not appreciate in value and one may well not. That can cause problems in the future.

Couldn't agree more RE: Ake

Basically a modern day equivalent of a Rory Delap signing

I know it's only perception but they seem to move from target to target really quickly. You have to wonder how much due diligence they actually spend on their signings.

For example , see their January transfer additions,I think everyone could see fonte was not the same level of player last year and if you ever watched a full hull game (I don't know why either) that he flattered to deceive.

Got to be honest although we can be frustrating I'm so glad we're not run like that circus

Every man and his dog, except Les Reed, knew the three crap/injury-prone strikers were not enough.

We had Austin, Long, J Rod, Boufal, Redmond and Tadic. 6 players after 3 positions, not to mention Sims, Hesketh and a couple of other young players trying to make an impact.

We had the right number of players, they were just all crap. If Long, J Rod and Boufal hadn't all been useless we'd never have signed Gabbi.

Not quite sure of the criticism of Defoe. He scored double what our top goal scorer had last season. If you think he won't get bompey more goals than you must be mental.

Cant argue that he doesnt know where the goal is, but he is getting on a bit, wants a big pay check, and a long contract.

Plus he is only really a goalscorer, has nothing else in his game, and we have two of them already