Dusan Tadic to Ajax - Undisclosed (£10M)

Feyenoord1908

Not overly relevant to Tadic but since you've asked and PM'd me on this twice!?!? (lolz)

Celtic transfer spend last 3 seasons

17/18 SPEND £11m IN £1M

16/17 SPEND £9M IN £3M

15/16 SPEND £14M IN £17M

So that's £34 spent and £21m received.

HTH

giphy.gif

Proof ... nope just your factless nonsense

I could put up your snivelling, begging pms but it would fill the forum.. :D

If there was a release clause of £15 million I'm pretty sure the clubs pet jurno would have mentioned it rather than write this

Around £15 million had initially been suggested for a player who cost Southampton £10.9m in 2014 but, with the player finishing last season as their leading scorer and the general inflation in transfer fees, they will be looking for closer to £18m.

Tadic will turn 30 later this year but still has two years left on his contract, leaving Southampton in a relatively strong negotiating position.

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/football/2018/06/21/dusan-tadic-leave-southampton-join-ajax-clubs-begin-negotiating/amp/?__twitter_impression=true

£18million still too cheap IMO.

If there was a release clause of £15 million I'm pretty sure the clubs pet jurno would have mentioned it rather than write this

Around £15 million had initially been suggested for a player who cost Southampton £10.9m in 2014 but, with the player finishing last season as their leading scorer and the general inflation in transfer fees, they will be looking for closer to £18m.

Tadic will turn 30 later this year but still has two years left on his contract, leaving Southampton in a relatively strong negotiating position.

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/football/2018/06/21/dusan-tadic-leave-southampton-join-ajax-clubs-begin-negotiating/amp/?__twitter_impression=true

In truth Dodd, I just going on what has been reported regarding release causes. The truth is that we'll never know as none of us will see his contract.

Admittedly these are all from last summer but a very broad selection of media outlets quote a £13m (15m euros) release clause - hence i state "laughably low". - I don't think many will disagree with that description of that price?!?!

https://metro.co.uk/2017/03/26/arsenal-target-dusan-tadic-has-release-clause-of-just-13m-6535193/

https://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/football/transfer-news/southamptons-dusan-tadic-coy-future-10616124

https://www.dailypost.co.uk/sport/football/transfer-news/liverpool-fc-keen-southamptons-dusan-13171107

https://www.thesun.co.uk/sport/football/3775858/liverpool-look-to-raid-southampton-again-with-move-for-13million-dusan-tadic/

https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/klopp-plots-southampton-raid-for-tadic-29ztr92r9

Even the club's pet jounro (who either blindly or willingly peddles the line) is reporting a £15m figure for the transfer. Given the trust I and most fans have in our club's media spiel, I find it likely that that cost for getting the scoop is an inflated price, or it is directly fed to him as such. It is common practice for clubs to do this.

Sadly trust in the club's PR (particularly regarding player sales) has been at a real low in recent seasons.

Lets not forget January's misleading reporting from this same source telling fans we were basically getting Promes etc. I just simply cannot trust the club's media sources anymore... not until some good faith is restored.

Edited by Saint86

In truth Dodd, I just going on what has been reported regarding release causes. The truth is that we'll never know as none of us will see his contract.

Admittedly these are all from last summer but a very broad selection of media outlets quote a £13m (15m euros) release clause - hence i state "laughably low". - I don't think many will disagree with that description of that price?!?!

https://metro.co.uk/2017/03/26/arsenal-target-dusan-tadic-has-release-clause-of-just-13m-6535193/

https://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/football/transfer-news/southamptons-dusan-tadic-coy-future-10616124

https://www.dailypost.co.uk/sport/football/transfer-news/liverpool-fc-keen-southamptons-dusan-13171107

https://www.thesun.co.uk/sport/football/3775858/liverpool-look-to-raid-southampton-again-with-move-for-13million-dusan-tadic/

https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/klopp-plots-southampton-raid-for-tadic-29ztr92r9

Even the club's pet jounro (who either blindly or willingly peddles the line) is reporting a £15m figure for the transfer. Given the trust I and most fans have in our club's media spiel, I find it likely that that cost for getting the scoop is an inflated price, or it is directly fed to him as such. It is common practice for clubs to do this.

Sadly trust in the club's PR (particularly regarding player sales) has been at a real low in recent seasons.

Lets not forget January's misleading reporting from this same source telling fans we were basically getting Promes etc. I just simply cannot trust the club's media sources anymore... not until some good faith is restored.

While he may well peddle the club ****e he also has to think of his reputation If there was a release fee of £15 million it wouldn't really be in his interests to lie about it. From a PR point of view the club would love it "oh we didn't want to sell Dusan but the release fee means our hands where tied its not our fault" they would be feeding Wilson that crap all day.

Even the club's pet jounro (who either blindly or willingly peddles the line) is reporting a £15m figure for the transfer...

Lets not forget January's misleading reporting from this same source telling fans we were basically getting Promes etc.

Except he didn't. He said they'd offered £15m, but we wanted closer to £18m. If there is a release clause of £15m how would we be after more? And all he reported was we were after Promes.

Did he really have a £40m clause though? I thought it transpired that he didn't.

My understand was it was ambiguous, with Liverpool claiming that the specific clause was that they had to “consider” any bid over £40mil.

In other countries release clauses are actually buy out clauses. Technically the player buys out the remaining years of his contract, though clearly the money comes from the buying club. Don’t know what happens in England, but they do seem pretty rare.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Suarez had a £40m release and eventually went for a lot more, and not Arsenal's +1p

It wasn’t a release clause, something daft like he was allowed to talk to the other club but Liverpool didn’t have to accept the offer.

Genuine release clauses are rare in Britain. I think Demba Ba had one at Newcastle, which backfired on them a bit.

A year old but this is very handy on release clauses + transfers in general:

https://www.independent.co.uk/sport/football/transfers/transfer-window-premier-league-revealed-how-a-transfer-deal-really-works-a7837031.html

How do release clauses work?

There is sometimes confusion when a player who is reported to have a release clause is the subject of a bid that meets the valuation specified in the clause, but is never actually sold to the club which made the bid.

This is because there are two types of release clauses: actual release clauses, and what are called “good faith” release clauses.

Actual release clauses will oblige the player’s club to sell the player to a club who meets the terms and conditions specified in the clause. These terms and conditions can vary, but clubs will often try to structure it in way that will prevent a direct competitor from activating the clause. For example, a Premier League club may disqualify other Premier League clubs from activating the clause. Also, Portuguese clubs tend to set the triggering amount for other Portuguese clubs at triple or even quadruple the amount set for all other clubs.

A “good faith” release clause is essentially meaningless, as it merely obliges the player’s club to consider the bid and enter into good faith discussions over the potential sale of the player.

I suspect we do more gentlemens agreements than release clauses.

Would explain why we get a high percentage of player tantrums.

Club makes a promise then renegades on it. Fonte, Lallana, Morgan, VVD have all alluded to it.

Problem is I suspect we now have a reputation for it hence struggling to compete with Leicester and alikes

I suspect we do more gentlemens agreements than release clauses.

Would explain why we get a high percentage of player tantrums.

Club makes a promise then renegades on it. Fonte, Lallana, Morgan, VVD have all alluded to it.

Problem is I suspect we now have a reputation for it hence struggling to compete with Leicester and alikes

#renegades

The Southampton Renegades. Nice! Maybe Kruger will be looking to rebrand after your excellent suggestion.

Except he didn't. He said they'd offered £15m, but we wanted closer to £18m. If there is a release clause of £15m how would we be after more? And all he reported was we were after Promes.

I think you are missing the point here Faz. From all major news outlets - times, to sun, to mirror, to express. This is the only paper not reporting we have a £13m release clause. Coincidentally happens to be the club's pet journo, who coincidentally makes out the club are getting paid more than anywhere else is reporting. Why, to incrementally ease pressure on the board and look like they're doing a good job.

I can't help but smell a rat. We'll never know though. I got asked for sources of a low release clause, i provided. No one else has anywhere near as much evidence that we're going to get £18m atm. Lets wait a see shall we. I predict a pattern just like the Mane transfer for example... club says £36-38m, everyone else says £30m.

^ Jeremy Wilson is quite obviously the clubs obedient

Writes his little puff articles used to control the credulous fans.

I recall his well timed VVD articles followed by upbeat articles about us signing Daniel Sturridge making "audacious bid" for Fulham's Ryan Sessegnon, signing Walcott and Alfie Mawson. Bla bla bla

He is essential the clubs submissive and his posts are aimed more at the super gullible SFC fans

They have Wilson well trained....

giphy.gif

The more I think about this the more I think we should make a huge effort to keep Tadic...

Used correctly i.e. NOT on the right wing he is a great asset and we would seriously not replace him for less than 30m..if at all...

Yet again he is one of our best players, the club really should encourage him to stay another year to ensure that for once we can properly succession plan as it appears we are prepared to let one of our best players leave again without any replacement in the door...

I do like the look of Sims, however as yet despite having opportunities we haven’t yet given him enough playing time to rely on him as a successor....

We need another year from Tadic - we are not ready or able to let him go yet...imo...

The more I think about this the more I think we should make a huge effort to keep Tadic...

Used correctly i.e. NOT on the right wing he is a great asset and we would seriously not replace him for less than 30m..if at all...

Yet again he is one of our best players, the club really should encourage him to stay another year to ensure that for once we can properly succession plan as it appears we are prepared to let one of our best players leave again without any replacement in the door...

I do like the look of Sims, however as yet despite having opportunities we haven’t yet given him enough playing time to rely on him as a successor....

We need another year from Tadic - we are not ready or able to let him go yet...imo...

What makes you think there isn’t a succession plan?

I agree it isn’t Sims, although I’d happily see Sims get more time in place of Boufal.

I agree it isn’t Sims, although I’d happily see Sims get more time in place of Boufal.

Assuming Hughes is going to bother with wingers/wide attackers (the "Southampton Way") and not keep playing 5-3-1-1, I'd be happy enough with Sims and Redmond as the "junior" widemen, with first choice starters being signed to replace Tadic and Boufal.

Links to quality wingers are a bit thin on the ground at the moment, though, so I'm not feeling hopeful.

Sent from my F3311 using Tapatalk

Boufal should be sold and Sims sent out on loan.

Tadic is miles better than any of our other wide players.

Seeing as our strikes are awful at creating chamces for themselves we are hugely reliant on Tadic's creativity at the moment.

Sell him and replace badly and it would be a horrendous move, he kept us up last season.

Boufal should be sold and Sims sent out on loan.

Tadic is miles better than any of our other wide players.

Seeing as our strikes are awful at creating chamces for themselves we are hugely reliant on Tadic's creativity at the moment.

Sell him and replace badly and it would be a horrendous move, he kept us up last season.

Had the Tadic, who turned up for the last few games of the season, played like that all season (and in fairness he isn't alone on that front) we wouldn't have needed to be kept up.

It's interesting that Tadic was getting all sorts of grief on here for much of the season (and some of it was probably justified) yet after a couple of good games right at the end of the season has become our best player that we can't afford to lose.

I like Tadic I'd like him to stay but after four years he clear wants to move on to the point he is happy to take a pay cut to do so.

Had the Tadic, who turned up for the last few games of the season, played like that all season (and in fairness he isn't alone on that front) we wouldn't have needed to be kept up.

It's interesting that Tadic was getting all sorts of grief on here for much of the season (and some of it was probably justified) yet after a couple of good games right at the end of the season has become our best player that we can't afford to lose.

I like Tadic I'd like him to stay but after four years he clear wants to move on to the point he is happy to take a pay cut to do so.

He was awful bar the last 7 or 8 games as long as he is replaced . I have no problem with the sale but trusting Wilson after the last 3 windows is hard as we are always one behind for replacements.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

He wasn't great under Pellegrino but then pretty much the whole lot of them were awful. Probably fairer to judge his quality on what he's done over his whole time at the club rather than one bad spell when the team were in a terrible state.

He was awful bar the last 7 or 8 games as long as he is replaced . I have no problem with the sale but trusting Wilson after the last 3 windows is hard as we are always one behind for replacements.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

FFS Seriously...

He played under managers that did not attack or commit bodies forward for two years. He is a techncaily gifted player who beats a man on the edge of the box and gets a cross in.

He's been prevented from getting to those positions by tactics, and we've had no one in the box to bloody well cross to...

Do people seriously think its a coincidence that his "game" improved exactly in sync with the manager changing, and saints all of a sudden committing men forward?

He is a great player when it comes to doing what he does best. He's been quality for Serbia this world cup, and he will be quality for Ajax or us (most likely not) next season.

FFS Seriously...

He played under managers that did not attack or commit bodies forward for two years. He is a techncaily gifted player who beats a man on the edge of the box and gets a cross in.

He's been prevented from getting to those positions by tactics, and we've had no one in the box to bloody well cross to...

Do people seriously think its a coincidence that his "game" improved exactly in sync with the manager changing, and saints all of a sudden committing men forward?

He is a great player when it comes to doing what he does best. He's been quality for Serbia this world cup, and he will be quality for Ajax or us (most likely not) next season.

FFS did you actually watch him...did having a **** manager mean he threw himself to the floor wave his arms didnt track back - couldn't hit a cows arse with a banjo?

I cant be arsed to track back but I would bet you were one complaining about him on here!

Do you think the Ajax interest only started after season finished? Do you not think the WC is not a showcase for him to get a move?

He was very good in the last 7 games...shame about the rest that he was paid a fortune to perform in.

FFS did you actually watch him...did having a **** manager mean he threw himself to the floor wave his arms didnt track back - couldn't hit a cows arse with a banjo?

I cant be arsed to track back but I would bet you were one complaining about him on here!

Do you think the Ajax interest only started after season finished? Do you not think the WC is not a showcase for him to get a move?

He was very good in the last 7 games...shame about the rest that he was paid a fortune to perform in.

Very true Ron

Right. So you can't differentiate a frustrating player from an awful tactically set up team. Illogical hatred from the fans, and then we **** and moan about loyalty.

Feel free to "track back" and check my Tadic comments. I'm sure you'll find me terrified he's about to take a penalty or moaning at him for missing... Doesn't mean I can't see his virtues or appreciate the wider picture of how badly the team was set up for attacking players.

Same story every summer, including under Koeman. The bloke only bothers to put any effort in before the summer to get himself in the shop window. Looks like it might have finally worked for him this year.

I think we can definitely upgrade players like tadic in terms of the starting 11. But he's still a good option off the bench and we'd do well to find anyone as good for £15m.

Fans will never agree ofc.

But it is a shame that seemingly so many can't wait to see the back of him though. He is without doubt our most creative player... in a team crying out for more goals, and being sold well under value with no real replacement in site.

Was still or best player under our current manager and I whilst not perfect I don't have a lot of faith in Reed/Wilson landing a replacement as good.

Fans will never agree ofc.

But it is a shame that seemingly so many can't wait to see the back of him though. He is without doubt our most creative player... in a team crying out for more goals, and being sold well under value with no real replacement in site.

I am in the want him to stay group without question and would like to see some actual evidence of his proposed departure

as so far all we have is a few "reports"

Was still or best player under our current manager and I whilst not perfect I don't have a lot of faith in Reed/Wilson landing a replacement as good.

Nope me neither but I am not sure Reed has much to do with it anymore going by what I read. Look at Jeremy Wilson last piece seems like its Wilson and Hughes now.

I am in the want him to stay group without question and would like to see some actual evidence of his proposed departure as so far all we have is a few "reports"

Would love him to stay as well - but I do think this one is done. There may not be that much in print but it was certainly mentioned more than a few times by BBC commentators during the WC. So I think it's just a case of it all being sorted, and reported on, once he returns from Russia.

Would love him to stay as well - but I do think this one is done. There may not be that much in print but it was certainly mentioned more than a few times by BBC commentators during the WC. So I think it's just a case of it all being sorted, and reported on, once he returns from Russia.

That’s how I’m reading it but I’ve been wrong in the past.

Nope me neither but I am not sure Reed has much to do with it anymore going by what I read. Look at Jeremy Wilson last piece seems like its Wilson and Hughes now.

It's still risky flogging your best players, whoever makes the decision. You can spend £20-30mill on a player in today's climate and they can still be a failure. The squad needs investment even if we keep Tadic, sell him and we will really be rolling the relegation dice again.

It's still risky flogging your best players, whoever makes the decision. You can spend £20-30mill on a player in today's climate and they can still be a failure. The squad needs investment even if we keep Tadic, sell him and we will really be rolling the relegation dice again.

Isn't that why a large number were unsure about renewing I know I was and waiting for some sign we had learnt our lesson last season - although you could argue they have in letting Tadic go and not do a VVD.

Its obvious we have to sell before we buy, selling Tadic is one option we have, I cant think of many others we have left to sell that would get that fee from to give Hughes any war chest - we have an owner having to service a big loan and having any money tied up elsewhere.

Would rather he stays and I don't have an "illogical hatred" of Dusan but can see why we would sell a 30 year old as long as replaced with quality...thats the crux.

I am in the want him to stay group without question and would like to see some actual evidence of his proposed departure

as so far all we have is a few "reports"

I'd love him to stay as well Always (especially for the rumoured fee), but there is so much smoke on this one that it does seem a done deal. Fee somewhere between £15m-£18m currently.

You're right, its all based on rumours. But there are so many of them :/

Can we replace the only player we have with a world class first touch (and feint) with someone with attributes that are equally or indeed more beneficial to the side as a whole?

Tadic has his limitations, but we have several players that don't have any assets at all that I'd like to see depart before him. That said, we can become far too attached to players already at the club. The question therefore is, and always is, how will he be replaced?

I don't think we can suffer yet more erosion of quality. We only just survived last season. It wasn't all down to the manager. We must strengthen, somehow, otherwise expect more of the same.

Edited by Chez

Exactly this. And our track record in recruitment is certainly very below par in recent seasons. That buck needed to stop regardless this summer, it needs a significant improvement if we sell Tadic.

The only saving grace to all this is that I think Hughes probably knows what he's doing and I expect us to achieve a midtable to top 10 finish under him.

Spot on!

Yeah, but apart from that?

Exactly this. And our track record in recruitment is certainly very below par in recent seasons. That buck needed to stop regardless this summer, it needs a significant improvement if we sell Tadic.

The only saving grace to all this is that I think Hughes probably knows what he's doing and I expect us to achieve a midtable to top 10 finish under him.

I hope your faith in Hughes is justified. I can imagine that he will be hopping mad about the Tadic rumour and banging on Reed's door along the lines "WTF is going on!"

The only saving grace to all this is that I think Hughes probably knows what he's doing...

maybe, but perhaps not in the transfer market where the likes of Krcic, Imbula, Jese, Berahino and Wimmer have been utter failures. How much input and say he had in each is always difficult to know as an outsider, but the Stoke chairman was quite ruthless when sacking him and that might point ot he fact that Hughes had got his men and they hadnt been money well spent.

I assume Hughes will have a major say in transfers at Saints?

I'd love him to stay as well Always (especially for the rumoured fee), but there is so much smoke on this one that it does seem a done deal. Fee somewhere between £15m-£18m currently.

You're right, its all based on rumours. But there are so many of them :/

I agree. It's no certain he will depart, but when the noise is this loud it usually means a deal is done or close to being completed (perhaps waiting for Saints to complete the signing of his replacement). Some press stories are obvious agent plants. This doesn't feel like that.

maybe, but perhaps not in the transfer market where the likes of Krcic, Imbula, Jese, Berahino and Wimmer have been utter failures. How much input and say he had in each is always difficult to know as an outsider, but the Stoke chairman was quite ruthless when sacking him and that might point ot he fact that Hughes had got his men and they hadnt been money well spent.

I assume Hughes will have a major say in transfers at Saints?

One thing I am hoping Hughes can improve on is our results against the bottom clubs - we didn't beat one promoted club last year which was shocking really given the squad we had available.

Beating Swansea was our saving grace and hope he can do that and more

One thing I am hoping Hughes can improve on is our results against the bottom clubs - we didn't beat one promoted club last year which was shocking really given the squad we had available.

Beating Swansea was our saving grace and hope he can do that and more

I don't think there is any doubt Hughes will improve us, even with the current squad as is, he is a competent enough manager to get the basics right and make us a bit harder to beat and bit more direct in attack which should see us do better than last season.

I don't think he or the squad are good enough to be challenging for the best of rest title though which ultimately is what most saints fans want I think.

I don't think he or the squad are good enough to be challenging for the best of rest title though which ultimately is what most saints fans want I think.

Does everyone thing that with Hughes we will suddenly become a half decent side? Our failings last season were not completely down to the manager. We have some very average players at the club. We need to somehow find a way of replacing them with better. Extremely tough thing to do...

Does everyone thing that with Hughes we will suddenly become a half decent side? Our failings last season were not completely down to the manager. We have some very average players at the club. We need to somehow find a way of replacing them with better. Extremely tough thing to do...

half decent? Probably not but then most of the PL is **** poor these days. I agree the squad is poor compared to recent seasons and doesn't have enough to be challenging top 8-6 but I think Hughes can get enough out of it to avoid a relegation battle like last season. If the club want more than that then heavy investment is needed.