Ralph Hasenhuttl

Edmonton Saint

15 minutes ago, Lord Duckhunter said:

Exactly. 

He clearly identified that things needed to change and has changed them. The contrast between our mental toughness last season and this is worlds apart and there’s a tactical flexibility that was lacking last year. We’re not there yet, as there’s still the odd game where he loses the plot, but we’re definitely heading in the right direction. Let’s hope it continues. 

Do you think its him finally realising or possibly the fact the squad depth has helped him this year ? Ive always been a fan of his even tho some of his decisions have totally baffled me but I can't help but think that having such a poor squad has left him with his hands tied at certain times. Im thinking - but could obviously be wrong - that theres a correlation between him being more tactically flexible and having a bigger, better squad.

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, Lord Duckhunter said:

Exactly. 

He clearly identified that things needed to change and has changed them. The contrast between our mental toughness last season and this is worlds apart and there’s a tactical flexibility that was lacking last year. We’re not there yet, as there’s still the odd game where he loses the plot, but we’re definitely heading in the right direction. Let’s hope it continues. 

Yep. There's still weird decisions - Liverpool away was mental - but games where he gets it right. Like you say, let's hope the good bits continues. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Lord Duckhunter said:

What a load of old pony.

We lost to Wolves and I didn’t see one post stating the new owners want their own man, or that the pressure is now on Ralph.

I presume “haters” mean the people who wanted Ralph to change and become tactically more flexible, as well as insert some backbone  into the players and stop making stupid selection decisions/substitutions . There were others  who thought his tactics were fine and he was doing ok as he was. I guess Ralph must be a  hater then, because he’s realised that’s exactly what was required, and done it. 

Yet more absolute bollocks from Duckie.

Wow. We lost against Wolves and nobody called for Ralph's head!! That really is something. The haters are going soft.

The squad at Ralph's disposal this season bears little comparison with what he had last season. Look at the team and subs bench that played at Old Trafford and compare it with this season's squad. The French lad who came on at the end at Old Trafford apparently doesn't even play professional football any longer! The change in set up this season has more to do with squad depth and ability than any Damascene conversion of Ralph. 

• Like 3

5 minutes ago, Hawkswood said:

Do you think its him finally realising or possibly the fact the squad depth has helped him this year ? Ive always been a fan of his even tho some of his decisions have totally baffled me but I can't help but think that having such a poor squad has left him with his hands tied at certain times. Im thinking - but could obviously be wrong - that theres a correlation between him being more tactically flexible and having a bigger, better squad.

I think it is a bit of both tbh. Although Ralph has been hamstrung by our keepers, imo (respect others see it not the same) FF is a bit better than AM, and that cost us more points. Also, RH did make some daft decisions as LDH says above, but he seems like he has changed this, hope it continues.

Just a note to @SaintsFan86 - I know we spoke on here before about Ralph, id be interested to hear if you think RH could have carried on exactly as he did on our awful run without changing anything - just asking as you seem confused by one of the posts above which recognise the transition he has been through, and made me Q how you see it. Im not digging you out as you suggested before, but more that if RH recognises he wasnt perhaps blameless and saw things he had to change, what is wrong with people who have seen his transition?

54 minutes ago, Tamesaint said:

Lol at the haters of the "Ralph cult" now coming out and saying that everything has changed. We know fully well that if one of the City chances that hit the woodwork had gone in and we had lost they would have started their grumbles. "2 consecutive defeats," "the pressure on Ralph when we play Tottenham, " "the new owners will be appointing their own man. " etc etc.

Yesterday gave Ralph some breathing space but our next two matches are tough ones against Spurs and Man U. Lose those and I daresay the grumbles will start again. 

Lol at daft posts like this that don't understand the issue that people like me had. Ralph was shocking for the best part of a year. He was stubborn, inflexible, and made bizarre decisions. Results matched that and he got the grief he deserved. I stand by my criticism of him and people supporting what was plainly a failing manager. 

Ralph has changed, and as a consequence my view of him has changed. It shouldn't be a hard concept to grasp. 

Edited by egg
  • Like 4

13 minutes ago, Hawkswood said:

Broja makes a difference and gives him more flexibility, OR was a big big loss  second half of season and he had a centre half with the turning circle of an oil tanker. But good management is fitting what you have into their best system, not putting them into your preferred system if they’re not a fit. There were some appalling tactical f**k ups last season, (the spurs home game being one of the most inept I’ve ever seen), and some weird selections/substitutions. I don’t think he got the best out of the poor hand he was dealt. I also had an issue with the mentality at the club, the softness and lack of fight. One knock back and we collapsed. It’s probably the hardest area to adjust, and I’m surprised how far we’ve come on that front. Let’s hope it continues for the rest of the season, 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Billy the Kidd said:

See, I cant stand the ‘where are the Ralph outers now’ rhetoric. At the time people wanted to change the manager, almost every club in the EPL would have sacked him. He was pointlessly stubborn and RH made some horrendous decisions. It was binary - he can be a good manager for us, but went through an incredibly lengthy shit run of form where he should have been sacked.

That he hasn’t, and it has worked out, doesn’t make anyone who wanted him gone look like a dick or anything, as much as it doesnt make anyone who wanted to keep him look like they deity they want to be seen as.

If RH goes through another really shit spell, id be amazed if he kept his job next time, although hopefully he has learned from some pretty obvious mistakes.

But please can anyone doing the whole Where are the RH outers now go a boil their heads in their own piss. It isn’t just on here, exactly the same on the ‘Not’ forum, and boils me piss i tells ya.

👏

• Like 1

Ralph has always been class. Last season we had no squad depth and a bunch of injuries fucked us. This season we have a much better squad. Simple as that.

Claims of Ralph being less stubborn, or changing as a manager are not true. He just has more options now due to some good squad building. People saying "why doesn't he just do something different?" would get responses of "how? Our squad has no good options". Now the squad has good options, he does something different, and we look good. What a surprise...

Those who said "Ralph is fine, he just needs a few good signings" were right and are being proven as such. Those who said "Ralph is shite" and are now coming on here to say how much he has improved are ridiculous tbh. The squad has improved.

Edited by TWar
  • Like 13

47 minutes ago, TWar said:

Ralph has always been class. Last season we had no squad depth and a bunch of injuries fucked us. This season we have a much better squad. Simple as that.

Claims of Ralph being less stubborn, or changing as a manager are not true. He just has more options now due to some good squad building. People saying "why doesn't he just so something different" would get responses of "how? Our squad has no good options". Now the squad has good options, he does something different, and we look good. What a surprise...

Those who said "Ralph is fine, he just needs a few good signings" were right and are being proven as such. Those who said "Ralph is shite" and are now coming on here to say how much he has improved are ridiculous tbh. The squad has improved.

Exactly. 

1 hour ago, TWar said:

Claims of Ralph being less stubborn, or changing as a manager are not true. He just has more options now due to some good squad building. People saying "why doesn't he just do something different?" would get responses of "how? Our squad has no good options". Now the squad has good options, he does something different, and we look good. What a surprise...

Exactly this.

1 hour ago, TWar said:

what she said yes GIF by TipsyElves.com

3 hours ago, Billy the Kidd said:

See, I cant stand the ‘where are the Ralph outers now’ rhetoric. At the time people wanted to change the manager, almost every club in the EPL would have sacked him. He was pointlessly stubborn and RH made some horrendous decisions. It was binary - he can be a good manager for us, but went through an incredibly lengthy shit run of form where he should have been sacked.

That he hasn’t, and it has worked out, doesn’t make anyone who wanted him gone look like a dick or anything, as much as it doesnt make anyone who wanted to keep him look like they deity they want to be seen as.

If RH goes through another really shit spell, id be amazed if he kept his job next time, although hopefully he has learned from some pretty obvious mistakes.

But please can anyone doing the whole Where are the RH outers now go a boil their heads in their own piss. It isn’t just on here, exactly the same on the ‘Not’ forum, and boils me piss i tells ya.

But if we listened to your lot we would not see the managerial  improvement of the team in this fashion.  We would not see our captain reach his potential.  My support was not unconditional,  he earned it. When he arrived he came with the ideas that I liked, I could see what he did at RBL and celebrated the days of boring football was over. Was it smooth sailing, nope, but he kept on trying and I could see his ideas paying off. We stayed in the PL and he has transformed this team with little resources to the good team we see now. 

I guess my main gripe with the "he is coming good now crowd" is the lack of vision early on. The lack of patience given to manager and players.

I am happy we are all getting on the same page, support the mighty Saints! 

• Like 5

17 minutes ago, BERMUDASAINT said:

But if we listened to your lot we would not see the managerial  improvement of the team in this fashion.  We would not see our captain reach his potential.  My support was not unconditional,  he earned it. When he arrived he came with the ideas that I liked, I could see what he did at RBL and celebrated the days of boring football was over. Was it smooth sailing, nope, but he kept on trying and I could see his ideas paying off. We stayed in the PL and he has transformed this team with little resources to the good team we see now. 

I guess my main gripe with the "he is coming good now crowd" is the lack of vision early on. The lack of patience given to manager and players.

"If we listened to your lot."

I stopped reading at that point, as I've never wanted Ralph out, but did think he needed to change stuff. Which he did, for numerous reasons.

1 hour ago, TWar said:

There are very very few posters who said Ralph was shit.

Of course you are correct that Ralph has more options, but he refused really to change the way we played in our shit spell to fit the players he did have at his disposal.

I like Ralph buy he made things far harder for himself than he needed to. It doesn't make me a bed wetter to say that or a f**king genius to see it either. People were rightly able to Q wtf he did at times last season.

1 hour ago, TWar said:

It's all about opinions mate. Some people think Ralph has become more flexible, but some people can't. That's opinion, and we all see it differently. I mean some people think Adam Armstrong is better than Broja. It's the opinion of people like that, on managers and players, I struggle to respect. 

• Like 2

27 minutes ago, BERMUDASAINT said:

Come on mate, please dont start any post like that. I actually agree you on most of  the rest of it but if you start a post like that its immediately divisive and theres not really any need for it. I hate the petty bickering on here, its so tiresome and that opening comment is exactly the sort of thing that sets things off. There is no them lot and us lot. We all love saints and we're all entitled to our opinion. Anyway, didnt mean to have a go but just wanted to say that.

• Like 5

4 hours ago, egg said:

As someone who said he should have gone last season or in the summer I'm glad he stayed. I'm not sure what's happened, but there's been a change. Gone is the same system regardless of the opponents or it not working, gone is keeping the ball for the sake of it, gone is killing our players with relentless pressing and then being exposed for a seeing to. This season we've seen a mixture of systems, styles, good counter attacking, and a lot more steel to the players with a bit more edge to us. Fair play to Ralph this season. 

Agree with this mate. Very much a critic of him and if we’re all honest, last season was shambolic. He’s more tactically fluid and seemingly got better at his subs as well. 

Fair play to him and the powers that be who make the signings as well.  

• Like 1

2 hours ago, TWar said:

Nope sorry, a ‘class’ manager doesn’t get beaten 9-0 twice in 2 seasons, regardless of the circumstances. Personally, I think he was extremely lucky to survive the second 9 and subsequent run that followed. 

You could pretty much argue that any manager is fine if they get a couple of good signings.

2 hours ago, Billy the Kidd said:

There are very very few posters who said Ralph was shit.

Of course you are correct that Ralph has more options, but he refused really to change the way we played in our shit spell to fit the players he did have at his disposal.

I like Ralph buy he made things far harder for himself than he needed to. It doesn't make me a bed wetter to say that or a f**king genius to see it either. People were rightly able to Q wtf he did at times last season.

I can think of a few...

2 hours ago, Dman said:

Nope sorry, a ‘class’ manager doesn’t get beaten 9-0 twice in 2 seasons, regardless of the circumstances. Personally, I think he was extremely lucky to survive the second 9 and subsequent run that followed. 

You could pretty much argue that any manager is fine if they get a couple of good signings.

You're right, I wonder what the san marino fella is up to. He knew how to organise a defence...

2 hours ago, egg said:

It's all about opinions mate. Some people think Ralph has become more flexible, but some people can't. That's opinion, and we all see it differently. I mean some people think Adam Armstrong is better than Broja. It's the opinion of people like that, on managers and players, I struggle to respect. 

So basically you are saying I got one thing wrong so now you won't admit you are wrong on anything ever? Despite the fact that my opinions on JWP, Ralph, Tino, were also criticised and also have all been proven right?

Broja is doing better than Armstrong, at the time with the data we had I predicted he wouldn't. I was incorrect. It wasn't an unreasonable prediction at the time but it's all about chance. It isn't such a poor view it completely invalidates all future predictions tbh. Sticking to it whenever you are wrong about anything else, like you very much were about Ralph, is just basic whataboutism.

2 minutes ago, TWar said:

I can think of a few...

Yep and i can too, but there weren’t loads. 

I can see both sides of this with Ralph, but I can accept that Ralph didnt have some pretty damning flaws, which hopefully he looks like changing. Some of those were to do with squad depth, but many weren’t, and I still dont understand why he couldnt adapt last season to use what he had. It is literally what any manager in any industry would have done.

1 minute ago, Billy the Kidd said:

Yep and i can too, but there weren’t loads. 

I can see both sides of this with Ralph, but I can accept that Ralph didnt have some pretty damning flaws, which hopefully he looks like changing. Some of those were to do with squad depth, but many weren’t, and I still dont understand why he couldnt adapt last season to use what he had. It is literally what any manager in any industry would have done.

My post was addressed to them. People who say "the buck stops at the manager" when people point out issues with the playing staff, and then when the playing staff improve and results do accordingly they are like "oh wow, did someone go to manager school?".

"The buck stops with the manager" is a dumb point of view, is what I'm getting at.

7 minutes ago, TWar said:

So basically you are saying I got one thing wrong so now you won't admit you are wrong on anything ever? Despite the fact that my opinions on JWP, Ralph, Tino, were also criticised and also have all been proven right?

Broja is doing better than Armstrong, at the time with the data we had I predicted he wouldn't. I was incorrect. It wasn't an unreasonable prediction at the time but it's all about chance. It isn't such a poor view it completely invalidates all future predictions tbh. Sticking to it whenever you are wrong about anything else, like you very much were about Ralph, is just basic whataboutism.

How about you sack ‘the data’ off and actually watch games. It’d make those predictions significantly easier fella. 

• Like 1

Just now, Dman said:

f**k me, you really are a boring c**t mate, aren’t you. 

Mate some people have weird views, but you are just a straight up troll who comes on here to be a bellend whenever we lose. Now we are doing well and you expect people not to give it back? 

You don't say wind up shit like "Ralph is worse at organising a defence than the manager of San Marino" without expecting people to say something.

• Like 1

Just now, TWar said:

Mate some people have weird views, but you are just a straight up troll who comes on here to be a bellend whenever we lose. Now we are doing well and you expect people not to give it back? 

You don't say wind up shit like "Ralph is worse at organising a defence than the manager of San Marino" without expecting people to say something.

Ironically, I bet this ‘troll’ attends more games and pumps more money into the club than you do. 

but, the point regarding the San Marino manager, was valid. A team of their quality should be getting 10-15 goals put past them when they play nations such as England such is the difference in quality. 

Ralph in 2 games now, was unable to stop a 9-0 defeat despite being on a relatively level playing field. Whereas at 3/4-0 down we could have stuck 9 men behind the ball on a low block to make it hard, we didn’t. We continued to try and play a high pressing attacking game, hence the score line. 

It’s tedious, so I can’t even be arsed to be drawn into it if I’m honest. Next time you’re at St Mary’s, drop me a DM and we can have a beer. I won’t hold my breath. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Dman said:

Ironically, I bet this ‘troll’ attends more games and pumps more money into the club than you do. 

but, the point regarding the San Marino manager, was valid. A team of their quality should be getting 10-15 goals put past them when they play nations such as England such is the difference in quality. 

Ralph in 2 games now, was unable to stop a 9-0 defeat despite being on a relatively level playing field. Whereas at 3/4-0 down we could have stuck 9 men behind the ball on a low block to make it hard, we didn’t. We continued to try and play a high pressing attacking game, hence the score line. 

It’s tedious, so I can’t even be arsed to be drawn into it if I’m honest. Next time you’re at St Mary’s, drop me a DM and we can have a beer. I won’t hold my breath. 

Unfortunately the internet is anonymous, you could be a season ticket holder here or down the road for all I know. If you are a regular saints attender I can only imagine that must be a miserable affair considering how much you seem to hate the manager and basically all the players.

The San Marino point was stupid. Do you think the San marino manager honestly organises a defence better than Ralph does? Very silly, and a couple of freak results don't change that. 

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, Dman said:

f**k me, you really are a boring c**t mate, aren’t you. 

To be fair you can both be quite tedious. You seem to follow TWar all over the forum, whenever I'm scrolling through and see him post I think to myself "how long before Dman quotes him and mentions the 9-0?" to which the answer invariably lies on the same page.

• Like 10

34 minutes ago, Dman said:

You need to look at the team and bench we had for the second of the 9-0’s. Oh and the better fan thing is crap and generally comes out when someone is i on the back foot no?

Edited by Toadhall Saint
  • Like 1

8 minutes ago, Sergei Gotsmanov said:

I really like Ralph, and he is a good fit for us. Results have been sufficiently up and down to prevent people poaching him. He would have been a shoe in for Everton otherwise!

This is a good point and one of the main reasons I don’t think he’d get a bigger job than us (unless we do something stupid next year). 

He wouldn’t get the time he needs to build a squad, I’m not sure how he’d handle the egos and is a tad too inconsistent. 

We’re probably the right level for each other. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, egg said:

Some people think Ralph never does anything wrong, even when he admitted he was wrong himself. 

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, Turkish said:

Some people think Ralph never does anything wrong, even when he admitted he was wrong himself. 

Yeah that one was just bizarre.

The truth of Ralph’s performance probably lies in between the two entrenched camps on here. He’s definitely got a better squad at his disposal this season. He also was rather inflexible in tactics previously and we became very predictable and all too easy to pick apart.

Ive always been in the “Ralph in” camp. I think he’s a great fit for us. I also think this season has seen a change in his approach and tactics.  I’d live to see him properly backed in the transfer market as he’s been working with shackles on. Transfers in the past couple of years have been very positive, so there’s good reason to feel optimistic about the current set up.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, TWar said:

It’s taken you months to finally admit it though. You’ve only changed your views because the stats have changed. Try watching in person rather than a spreadsheet and you would have seen it a lot earlier.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Sarisbury Saint said:

It’s taken you months to finally admit it though. You’ve only changed your views because the stats have changed. Try watching in person rather than a spreadsheet and you would have seen it a lot earlier.

"You've only changed your views in light of recent evidence"

Yes? That's how you are supposed to do things? The evidence at the time was that Armstrong was more likely to do well than Broja and I said as such, since then we have more information and my mind has changed. At the time Armstrong was more likely to succeed, I stand by that, but "more likely" doesn't mean definitely. Broja was unlikely to do better but did. If I said "this dice is unlikely to land on a 6" and rolled it and it landed on a 6, I wouldn't have been wrong. It's all about probability.

Also, this an issue with cherry picking takes. I have had takes on most of our players and a lot of them have been pretty accurate, very positive takes on Tino, Diallo, JWP, KWP, Salisu, and Adams, negative ones on Lyanco, Bednarek, Stephens, and Forster. If you have someone try to predict things based off chance and you take enough predictions one or two will not come true even if the odds are calculated perfectly.

Regarding watching in person, I do.

Edited by TWar

1 minute ago, TWar said:

Yes? That's how you are supposed to do things? The evidence at the time was that Armstrong was more likely to do well than Broja and I said as such, since then we have more information and my mind has changed. At the time Armstrong was more likely to succeed, I stand by that, but "more likely" doesn't mean definitely. Broja was unlikely to do better but did. If I said "this dice is unlikely to land on a 6" and rolled it and it landed on a 6, I wouldn't have been wrong. It's all about probability.

If you mean by recent evidence, the first few minutes he walked on the pitch, then that’s fair enough but you said after he’d played a few games for us Armstrong had a higher ceiling. 

It was very, very clear that that wouldn’t be the case. That’s why stats are useful (I agree with that), but not the be all and end all. That’s why along with data which I’m sure clubs use, they also have a scouting network with study and analyse players in the flesh. 

Buying players based on stats alone, results in getting people like Muyaka who score a few in AFCON but I cannot believe anyone would watch him for a period of time and think he Was a PL player. 

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, TWar said:

Then you surely you could see very early on that the evidence (stats) would change very quickly by the way he played compared to Armstrong.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Dman said:

If you mean by recent evidence, the first few minutes he walked on the pitch, then that’s fair enough but you said after he’d played a few games for us Armstrong had a higher ceiling. 

It was very, very clear that that wouldn’t be the case. That’s why stats are useful (I agree with that), but not the be all and end all. That’s why along with data which I’m sure clubs use, they also have a scouting network with study and analyse players in the flesh. 

Buying players based on stats alone, results in getting people like Muyaka who score a few in AFCON but I cannot believe anyone would watch him for a period of time and think he Was a PL player. 

Broja had played like three times when I said that so was entirely basing it off their careers up to that point. Armstrong was one goal short of the Championship scoring record, Broja had had an ok season in the dutch league.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Sarisbury Saint said:

Then you surely you could see very early on that the evidence (stats) would change very quickly by the way he played compared to Armstrong.

I mean, right now is pretty early on. They have both played about 10 full league games for us. This really isn't a late coming around...

2 minutes ago, Dman said:

How many times had you watched either of them? Maybe Armstrong a handful if that and Broja never? 😂😂

I knew of their numbers and a decent consensus from those who watch them regularly. Tbh for me this is more valuable than having watched them a few times. If I can watch them every week then I'd feel happy going against these things but that will never be the case for players we are signing as I only watch saints every week.

7 minutes ago, TWar said:

I knew of their numbers and a decent consensus from those who watch them regularly. 

Bollocks. 

It’s obvious which one had the “higher ceiling”, it’s laughable that anyone thought otherwise. Let alone all these people who watched them regularly. 

Edited by Lord Duckhunter
  • Like 5

• Lighthouse changed the title to Ralph Hasenhuttl