Ralph Hasenhuttl

Edmonton Saint

Why doesn't Ralph just stick to managing the team and showing results on the pitch? All of his latest comments/gripes about Broja (how well he is doing, us negotiating with Chelsea, his parents wanting to play for us), comments about trying to bring other players on Livra type deal, retiring in 2024, now comments about him being sick to his stomach about players running down their contracts (hello - what have we just done lately with Livra etc.) are really not helping us and more to the point are so unnecessary - does he really believe he will influence anyone significant (and if he's trying to appease the fans, then I for one am not impressed).

Of late he has done well on the field and got us playing well and fingers crossed we will be comfortably out of trouble so well done to him for that. However, why change the view of the footballing world that we are a nice friendly family club, who most people quite like or at least don't see as knobs?

• Confused 3

5 hours ago, Red said:

Why doesn't Ralph just stick to managing the team and showing results on the pitch? All of his latest comments/gripes about Broja (how well he is doing, us negotiating with Chelsea, his parents wanting to play for us), comments about trying to bring other players on Livra type deal, retiring in 2024, now comments about him being sick to his stomach about players running down their contracts (hello - what have we just done lately with Livra etc.) are really not helping us and more to the point are so unnecessary - does he really believe he will influence anyone significant (and if he's trying to appease the fans, then I for one am not impressed).

Of late he has done well on the field and got us playing well and fingers crossed we will be comfortably out of trouble so well done to him for that. However, why change the view of the footballing world that we are a nice friendly family club, who most people quite like or at least don't see as knobs?

I think he is generally quite open and honest with the media and I would take that everyday of the week over Managers like Nuno, Benitez etc who give the same answer to any question.

In fact, I think one of the key reasons fans took to Ralph so quickly after Puel and Pellegrino was exactly because he spoke to the fans and explained things in a way people could relate to.

By all means criticise then we are poor or he makes odd selections but the stuff you have picked out above is IMO a bit OTT especially when in all those cases he is just responding to questions and giving his view.

• Like 5

I've always appreciated Ralph's openness and humour. Can't help but think the possible retirement talk might make it harder for him to manage or recruit players as the clock ticks down into the final year. After all, why play for someone who is going to be gone soon.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

1 minute ago, coalman said:

I've always appreciated Ralph's openness and humour. Can't help but think the possible retirement talk might make it harder for him to manage or recruit players as the clock ticks down into the final year. After all, why play for someone who is going to be gone soon.

Because they are highly paid, want to win something and will still be contracted to the club after the manager leaves. 

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, Matthew Le God said:

Because they are highly paid, want to win something and will still be contracted to the club after the manager leaves. 

A manager is a large part of players signing for a club or extending their contract. If you know your boss is going soon it limits their ability to deliver difficult feedback (ergo a bollocking). There's plenty of research that demonstrates that high pay does not equate to motivation.

And sadly, as a Saints player, winning something is a distant dream. Not that it doesn't stop all of us nurturing that dream. 

23 hours ago, coalman said:

A manager is a large part of players signing for a club or extending their contract. If you know your boss is going soon it limits their ability to deliver difficult feedback (ergo a bollocking). There's plenty of research that demonstrates that high pay does not equate to motivation.

And sadly, as a Saints player, winning something is a distant dream. Not that it doesn't stop all of us nurturing that dream. 

1) Winning something is not a distant dream... in the last five years Saints have played in a League Cup final and two FA Cup semi finals. It is not unreasonable to think Saints could do so again in the near future. It certainly isn't a distant dream.

2) The majority of our players were not signed by Hasenhuttl. They were signed by managers who weren't even here for the 2.5 years this story says Hasenhuttl plans to stay for on top of his current time at Saints!

Edited by Matthew Le God
  • Like 2

9 minutes ago, Matthew Le God said:

1) Winning something is not a distant dream... in the last five years Saints have played in a League Cup final and two FA Cup semi finals. It is not unreasonable to or distant to think Saints could do so again in the near future. It certainly isn't a distant dream.

2) The majority of our players were not signed by Hasenhuttl. They were signed by managers who weren't even here for the 2.5 years this story says Hasenhuttl plans to stay for on top of his current time at Saints!

The odds on us winning something is very, very low though. 

Even if we have a relatively successful cup run (I say relatively as coming 2nd,3rd,4th isn’t a success imo), we still would need to pull off an unlikely victory in the semi final / final, as shown in our recent ‘successful’ runs. 

Personally, I don’t foresee us winning anything for the next 15-20 years. Probably even longer at the rate the gap of the bigger clubs is getting. 

I agree with Coalman here, if a player ‘wants to win something’ he’s not going to want to stay with us. That being said, I don’t think the players would just down tools if they knew Ralph was going… realistically he’s not a huge name and he’s not loved by the squad in the same way Poch was. 

• Confused 1
  • Sad 1

10 minutes ago, Dman said:

I agree with Coalman here, if a player ‘wants to win something’ he’s not going to want to stay with us. That being said, I don’t think the players would just down tools if they knew Ralph was going… realistically he’s not a huge name and he’s not loved by the squad in the same way Poch was. 

I don't think they'll down tools and for the next 18 months I don't think it affects his ability to be a good manager. I also think that players signing or extending contracts do look at the stability of a club and a large part of that is the guy who is coaching them. It can also be a distraction if the club is being asked every week whether the manager is committed to the cause as the clock ticks down.

I will also be very happy for my distant dream to be proven wrong when the stars align for us in the cup or for Ralph to continue on past 2024 😉

Edited by coalman
  • Like 1

6 minutes ago, Dman said:

The odds on us winning something is very, very low though. 

Even if we have a relatively successful cup run (I say relatively as coming 2nd,3rd,4th isn’t a success imo), we still would need to pull off an unlikely victory in the semi final / final, as shown in our recent ‘successful’ runs. 

Personally, I don’t foresee us winning anything for the next 15-20 years. Probably even longer at the rate the gap of the bigger clubs is getting. 

Given we've only ever won one major trophy in 137 years (not including the JPT & Southern League, daily express 5 aside tournament & Hampshire cups before MLG starts banging on about them) then yes, the odds of us winning something are incredibly low and only a moron would say otherwise. We dont even get promoted by winning the division or play offs FFS. (yes i know we won the division 3 south in the 20s and the Division 3 in 59/60) 

2 hours ago, coalman said:

Two and a half years is not 'soon' by any measure, as the man himself observed he could be fired long before then. There is also every prospect that he will be offered a new contract and will sign it. 

Two and a half years in a young player's career is a huge proportion of their football life expectancy and a critical period of learning. If they feel Ralph is the man to help them fulfil their dream of reaching the very top then they will continue to want to come here and work under him. He has a track record of doing just that.

Like you, I love his good natured banter and transparency during interviews which suggests he is a very honest and decent person. I've had my fair share of ups and downs over his managerial abilities like most on here but have come to the conclusion that he has achieved as much with this group of players as any manager could reasonably have expected to do. 

• Like 6

Meal was made of Coventry but in the end, given we are through in the cup and we beat spurs, you'd have to say the team selections across those games did the job.

Also, the 4222 performed well today.

Edited by TWar
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, TWar said:

Meal was made of Coventry but in the end, given we are through in the cup and we beat spurs, you'd have to say the team selections across those games did the job.

Also, the 4222 performed well today.

4222 seems to work so much better when Sarmstrong is in the side 

but also we look so much better with kwp at right back, a left back at left back and FF in goal

so whilst you can be full of praise for recent stuff (rightfully so) you also need to ask why weren’t some of these relatively simple things done earlier, and that for me is why there is always confusion as too how good he is, there is clearly something great there, but also something that doesn’t quite work at times also

• Like 3

6 hours ago, MAY-Z said:

4222 seems to work so much better when Sarmstrong is in the side 

but also we look so much better with kwp at right back, a left back at left back and FF in goal

so whilst you can be full of praise for recent stuff (rightfully so) you also need to ask why weren’t some of these relatively simple things done earlier, and that for me is why there is always confusion as too how good he is, there is clearly something great there, but also something that doesn’t quite work at times also

Don't agree about the fullbacks to be honest, I think Tino and Kwp is an equally good pairing that has done us equally well.

I think Stu is essential but he has been injured and not match fit most of the season.

FF has had a good game or two but so did Macca at the start of the season. They are both still mediocre keepers and I'm still not convinced there is much between them tbh.

26 minutes ago, TWar said:

Don't agree about the fullbacks to be honest, I think Tino and Kwp is an equally good pairing that has done us equally well.

I think Stu is essential but he has been injured and not match fit most of the season.

FF has had a good game or two but so did Macca at the start of the season. They are both still mediocre keepers and I'm still not convinced there is much between them tbh.

Ability and defensively wise, maybe they’re equal if not better, however it upsets the balance of the team. Having a left footed player at left back offers us natural with and the ability to whip a cross in that side, rather than KWP who needs to cut back often into the same space in which the attacker is in. 

• Like 3

24 minutes ago, Dman said:

Ability and defensively wise, maybe they’re equal if not better, however it upsets the balance of the team. Having a left footed player at left back offers us natural with and the ability to whip a cross in that side, rather than KWP who needs to cut back often into the same space in which the attacker is in. 

I think that is offset by the fact both Tino and KWP are significantly better at ball progression. KWP even from the left has great passing and dribbling stats. Tino is also a monster in this area. Perraud is a great crosser and good defensively, but I think I still prefer Tino KWP atm. All three are superb players though. Great problem to have.

• Like 2

I was reading a bit of Ferguson's book last night and it got me thinking that Ralph might have played this season perfectly. Fergie's plan was always to keep pace with the top end of the table for the first half of the season and then hit real form and accelerate away in February onwards. It seems that we may have planned a similar trajectory this season. Admittedly we weren't great for the first couple months, but we weren't losing a huge amount of games and were competitive in all of them. 

Confidence and resilience is now high, we're scoring goals, we've got key players fit... If we can maintain a decent run of form between now and the end of the season, and we manage to make a late surge to finish top ten, I'll be resolute in my opinion that Ralph is a genius. Particularly as other clubs who started well (Brentford as an example) start to fall away.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

On 10/02/2022 at 08:34, TWar said:

Sorry but Forster is so much better the McCarthy. In each of the last 2 matches he has pulled off a 1 on 1 save that most keepers would not; certainly that McCarthy would not have. Forster is not perfect by any stretch but when on form (which he certainly has seemed to be again this season) he is a class above McCarthy , as evidenced by the regular England call ups over the years if nothing else.

• Like 3

30 minutes ago, Roosk said:

Sorry but Forster is so much better the McCarthy. In each of the last 2 matches he has pulled off a 1 on 1 save that most keepers would not; certainly that McCarthy would not have. Forster is not perfect by any stretch but when on form (which he certainly has seemed to be again this season) he is a class above McCarthy , as evidenced by the regular England call ups over the years if nothing else.

Forster is considerably better at 1v1s, no doubt. He is considerably worse than McCarthy at claiming crosses, long shots (especially low ones), and commanding his area. He is better at sweeping too though. They both have strengths and combined they'd make a decentish keeper (not great still), but they also both have glaring weaknesses. I don't think there is much between them personally. All opinions though.

• Like 1

On 10/02/2022 at 09:03, Dman said:

Yep agree with this, also add that Perraud has started to play better since getting used to the league, and it does take time to adjust to the pace and quality over the French league.

He also seems to have found more confidence, he was really good v Spurs, just hope he plays today as think he could have a great game v Dalot.

13 hours ago, TWar said:

Forster is considerably better at 1v1s, no doubt. He is considerably worse than McCarthy at claiming crosses, long shots (especially low ones), and commanding his area. He is better at sweeping too though. They both have strengths and combined they'd make a decentish keeper (not great still), but they also both have glaring weaknesses. I don't think there is much between them personally. All opinions though.

I really can't understand how someone would rate them both similarly. I mean yes it's all about opinions but I assume we all have two eyes that can see. Forster is so much better than Mccarthy that it's not even close. 

• Like 4

4 minutes ago, hypochondriac said:

You can not rate either for definite but Forster is just the better keeper. 

I do like that he seems to come for the ball for corners now but still worry when he gets a shot straight (ok low and a foot either side) at him from the edge of the area. Luckily due to the CB & MF cover at the mo it’s not happened to often recently.

• Like 1

On 10/02/2022 at 10:43, CWD said:

I was reading a bit of Ferguson's book last night and it got me thinking that Ralph might have played this season perfectly. Fergie's plan was always to keep pace with the top end of the table for the first half of the season and then hit real form and accelerate away in February onwards. It seems that we may have planned a similar trajectory this season. Admittedly we weren't great for the first couple months, but we weren't losing a huge amount of games and were competitive in all of them. 

Confidence and resilience is now high, we're scoring goals, we've got key players fit... If we can maintain a decent run of form between now and the end of the season, and we manage to make a late surge to finish top ten, I'll be resolute in my opinion that Ralph is a genius. Particularly as other clubs who started well (Brentford as an example) start to fall away.

I think the key difference between this year and last year is depth, we have some, this time last year we were coming out of a horrible run of injuries in one of the busiest fixture periods, we lost all form, confidence and momentum because we barely had a team to put on the pitch. 

Whereas this year we have options and more strength in depth, plus some players have grown into the league like Salisu and Diallo who now look settled and are playing a bigger role this year.

Also we need to remember we had 'key' players (and probably leaders in the dressing room) in Ings and Vestergaard leave in the summer, with new players coming in, Tino, Armstrong, Mo is essentially a new player, Perraud, Broja all coming in, plus Stu Armstrong injured for most of the start. So I think you are right Ralph went a bit more solid and bit more pragmatic early in the season to keep us in games, pick up enough points as the team gelled, the new players settled into the league and we got key players up to form and fitness. Now that has happened he feels more confident (along with the squad depth) to unleash our 'full form' onto the league and we are seeing the results. A confident, very fit, well drilled and gelled team. Ralph has become a bit more flexible with his tactics, better with his substitutions and using his squad (though having decent squad depth helps with that, I don't think he trusted much beyond our first eleven last year)

We saw last year that our brand of football at it's best troubles everyone (we were top of the league), we just couldn't keep it up, now I think we have better players to do it, and more depth to keep it up. 

I am optimistic for a good showing through the rest of the season now.   Injuries could slow us down of course, we still can't really cope that much if we lose JWP, Romeu, Salisu and Broja, if two of those went from our team for a length period we are significantly weaker, but we have Tino to come back into the team, who knows maybe Djenepo might find some for if he gets fit and I still think there is more to come from A.Armstrong. 

Who knows, considering how inconsistent everyone in the league is bar City/Liverpool, maybe a sneaky 6th/7th might be possible, after this Utd game we play Everton, Norwich, Villa, Watford, Burnley and Leeds, huge potential to pick up a big slab of points to propel us up the table. Maybe too optimistic but we'll see. 

Edited by tajjuk
  • Like 2

50 minutes ago, hypochondriac said:

I really can't understand how someone would rate them both similarly. I mean yes it's all about opinions but I assume we all have two eyes that can see. Forster is so much better than Mccarthy that it's not even close. 

I think they both have glaring weaknesses tbh, and Twar has summed them up

Generally speaking I think Forster is probably better overall, but its not significant 

We’ve seen as many mistakes from Forster as we have McCarthy tbh

• Like 3

Recently I remember seeing posts saying Hasenhuttl's favourite 4-2-2-2 formation didn't work and we needed to stop playing it.

In the last 2 away games we've used it to get 4 points against 2 of the better teams in the league.

Does this mean those posters were wrong, or has something else changed to make the formation suddenly work again?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, The Cat said:

Recently I remember seeing posts saying Hasenhuttl's favourite 4-2-2-2 formation didn't work and we needed to stop playing it.

In the last 2 away games we've used it to get 4 points against 2 of the better teams in the league.

Does this mean those posters were wrong, or has something else changed to make the formation suddenly work again?

Yes 2 things have changed 

he has played a left back at left back

Stuart Armstrong is back in 

but you know, all the Ralphists say when we are playing poorly that 5+ game is being reactive (just like apparently Forsters 7 games isn’t enough to say he is playing well) so 2 games is nowhere near enough to say it’s a good formation! 

I think it’s a combination of a few things. 

United are a very average team at the minute, let’s get that straight. But; 

Romeu is quietly going about a really fantastic run of form. He’s the one player we cannot afford to lose. 

Armstrong and Moi are playing very well and are perfectly suited to that ‘10’ role. Without them, we cannot play this formation. 

We’re collectively playing with a load of confidence. A loss or 2 and we could easily go back into our shell and this system cannot afford to have 1 cog out of Sync. 

My view; it’s high reward but also very high risk. We can either be very good or very poor, there doesn’t seem to be much of an in between. Each game needs to be assessed on its due and we need to learn to play 2/3 formations (sometimes in 1 game, as shown today). 

That being said, Ralph has clearly learned to become more adaptive and it’s paying off. Fair play to him.  

Edited by Dman
  • Like 1

We've got several ways of playing, we switch systems a couple of times in games. We also have the ability to play certain systems to play certain games, against City on paper it was a 4-4-2 with two banks of 4 in a low block. That restricted city to playing in front of us and restricted the space in behind, which is the way to do it against them.

Against Brentford at home we exploited the way Brentford played by matching up with their 3-5-2. That allowed us to overload their full back areas and given we were dominant on the ball they struggled to get out.

We're incredibly flexible tactically and that is because of the squad we have, we have options to fit into these different ways of playing if required. It's amazing what happens when your bench isn't filled up with L'lundulu, Ramsay, Watts, Jankewitz etc. 

This is the first season Ralph has had what I'd call his own squad, he's not having to shoehorn Vestergaard or Bertrand into the side, or fill the squad with young players who will quite frankly never make it. We've been able to get talented young players which is right up his street. What this season has demonstrated to me more than anything is how good a coach he is when the players he has have the correct tools in the first place.

Edited by S-Clarke
  • Like 5

25 minutes ago, MAY-Z said:

Yes 2 things have changed 

he has played a left back at left back

Stuart Armstrong is back in 

but you know, all the Ralphists say when we are playing poorly that 5+ game is being reactive (just like apparently Forsters 7 games isn’t enough to say he is playing well) so 2 games is nowhere near enough to say it’s a good formation! 

"Ralphist" was just enough to stop reading what you are actually trying to tell us. Ok, i am a "Ralphist". Please, don't hurt me.

5 minutes ago, S-Clarke said:

We've got several ways of playing, we switch systems a couple of times in games. We also have the ability to play certain systems to play certain games, against City on paper it was a 4-4-2 with two banks of 4 in a low block. That restricted city to playing in front of us and restricted the space in behind, which is the way to do it against them.

Against Brentford at home we exploited the way Brentford played by matching up with their 3-5-2. That allowed us to overload their full back areas and given we were dominant on the ball they struggled to get out.

We're incredibly flexible tactically and that is because of the squad we have, we have options to fit into these different ways of playing if required. It's amazing what happens when your bench isn't filled up with L'lundulu, Ramsay, Watts, Jankewitz etc. 

This is the first season Ralph has had what I'd call his own squad, he's not having to shoehorn Vestergaard or Bertrand into the side, or fill the squad with young players who will quite frankly never make it. We've been able to get talented young players which is right up his street. What this season has demonstrated to me more than anything is how good a coach he is when the players he has have the correct tools in the first place.

your comment is on point, thank you :)

49 minutes ago, S-Clarke said:

This is why, for me, it would be disapointing to see Ralph depart in a couple of years (caveat of half decent results ongoing). For me, it's more gradually being able to shift the players considered to be deadwood in the squad, and smartly and slowly bringing in replacements. As opposed to the sorts of player overhaul seen more frequently in clubs with more resources to burn, where managers can build new teams more quickly. As this continues (caveat of not signing a bunch of clangers) it would become even more of Ralph's squad, and we'd see even more progression.

There are a lot of comments from pundits about us having a bad start to the season without a win in our first 7 games. I don’t agree that it was a bad start though. I think it was fairly good considering the 4 draws we got. 2 against teams we don’t usually do well against and 2 from big clubs we wouldn’t be expected to get anything from. I know we lost the 2 easier ones but we’re saints so…. Everton one is just same old! Anyway it’s been nice seeing the wins coming in as I think we deserve them. great to be looking forward to the next games again. Even though nothing would surprise me in football I can actually see RH being here till his contract and even beyond. 🔴

• Like 1

I think we have found our best eleven in the last couple of games. Moi and Armstrong are so much more intelligent then our other tens by a country mile and it makes us so much more creative, che can help in the build ups too

.Perraud and kwp I also think is our strongest full back pairing both pretty solid and offer more defensively then tino at the moment for me.

Along with a great cm in jwp and to romeau there is not many weaknesses here, I just hope Ralph doesn’t start shoehorning redmond in at the expense of che or moi now and upsetting the balance 

46 minutes ago, ozzmeister said:

Is anyone else worried he may end up teaming up with his name sake at Man United next season……..

Not worried at all. Our Ralph would have to do something insane like win the FA Cup and/or go on a late season charge to sixth. Which probably won't happen. His recent record is just too average for him to step up to the biggest club in the world.

Added to that it doesn't really feel like Rangnick is making the impact at Utd that is going to buy him the authority to put his man in place ahead of getting in the expected "big name" (eg) Pochettino. 

Lastly, although there have been little video montages of them saying nice things about each other, there's no evidence that the two Ralf/phs have any interest in working together ever again. Especially as our Ralph would drop back down to head coach not top dog.

In short, no it won't happen. 

Edited by CB Fry
  • Like 2

3 minutes ago, Tank said:

our Ralphy had a little dig at Rangnik on MOD

Pissed me off. He wasn’t really disrespectful but got panned by Jenas. Each week big club managers that lose say they should be winning and commenting they have better players. So why can’t he say we work harder? 

• Like 4

5 minutes ago, Saint Troy said:

Pissed me off. He wasn’t really disrespectful but got panned by Jenas. Each week big club managers that lose say they should be winning and commenting they have better players. So why can’t he say we work harder? 

yeh I thought it was just a little thing the Ralphs might have said between themselves as friends, ole Hootle is a bit of an innocent abroad in his press statements. Jenas waas wetting himself.

Edited by Tank
spellos

11 minutes ago, Saint Troy said:

Nothing wrong with what Hasenhuttl said. Jenas is still salty after we did Spurs midweek. What would the media rather have, an honest assessment of the match and some insights into how a manger thinks or the same old boring soundbites?

At least Danny Murphy said it was true. He seems to like us a bit more now.

• Like 2

Nothing wrong with what Hasenhuttl said. Jenas is still salty after we did Spurs midweek. What would the media rather have, an honest assessment of the match and some insights into how a manger thinks or the same old boring soundbites?

At least Danny Murphy said it was true. He seems to like us a bit more now.

Compared to the disrespect from Conte shushing the Saints bench then acting like they had a god given right to win....

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Tank said:

our Ralphy had a little dig at Rangnik on MOD

Don’t think it was at Rangnik, more at 3-4 of their prima donnas who aren’t fussed on tracking back when they are under pressure. He didn’t sign them. Plenty of evidence this season, look at the space Liverpool got at their place. Their forums want rid of those players asap but no chance with the huge wages they are on. Other huge clubs having to cut their wage bills hence why the ESL attempts. 

• Like 1

• Lighthouse changed the title to Ralph Hasenhuttl