Ralph Hasenhuttl

Edmonton Saint

1 minute ago, Toadhall Saint said:

Continual mismanagement at that. If they go down I think I’d be laughing all summer.

Would be fantastic. I think if they go down they'll be in a lot of trouble with their massive wage bills and lack of relegation clauses. Could be fireworks.

Edited by TWar
  • Like 1

7 minutes ago, TWar said:

True true. Everton job was kind of a win win for him. The club on the other hand are probably going down due to drastic mismanagement 

I'd love to see them drop.

Aren't they the only team that has never been relegated (or only ever played in) the top flight?

Edit: Answers own question - no that's Arsenal

Edited by Wurzel
  • Haha 1

15 minutes ago, TWar said:

Lost the dressing room earlier than most, losing the fanbase does that. I think if he was generally well liked they would have kept him in to turn things around when injuries subsided.

Instead they replaced him with a manager 10% the talent and now are probably getting relegated. Not that it bothers me too much, be funny if they went down.

Strange that someone doing such an impressive job, a champions league winning legend of the game, lost a dressing room of proffesional sportsmen early because the fans didn't like him

I remember when Everton beat Wimbledon 3-2 to stay up in the 80s.  Graeme Stuart scored the winner, a 20 yarder that beat Hans Segers and barely reached the back of the net.

Very suspect.  I would be delighted if they were relegated.    Don’t think the brown envelopes can save them this season.

• Like 4

23 minutes ago, Turkish said:

Strange that someone doing such an impressive job, a champions league winning legend of the game, lost a dressing room of proffesional sportsmen early because the fans didn't like him

Happens. Jose Mourinho seems to lose pretty much every dressing room he manages now and he is one of the most accomplished and widely regarded coaches of the modern era. Sometimes players like an easy person to blame when the results aren't going their way, and it's especially easy when your scummy fans have been sending death threats to the new guy before he has managed his first game.

2 hours ago, TWar said:

Would be fantastic. I think if they go down they'll be in a lot of trouble with their massive wage bills and lack of relegation clauses. Could be fireworks.

Facing a possible points deduction

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-10591917/Everton-risk-Premier-League-points-DEDUCTION-breaking-profit-sustainability-rules.html

3 hours ago, TWar said:

Happens. Jose Mourinho seems to lose pretty much every dressing room he manages now and he is one of the most accomplished and widely regarded coaches of the modern era. Sometimes players like an easy person to blame when the results aren't going their way, and it's especially easy when your scummy fans have been sending death threats to the new guy before he has managed his first game.

Or being a top manager 10 years ago doesn’t make you a top manager anymore. especially if the game has moved on and your tactics (Jose / Rafa as an example) haven’t. 

• Like 3

4 hours ago, TWar said:

Lost the dressing room earlier than most, losing the fanbase does that. I think if he was generally well liked they would have kept him in to turn things around when injuries subsided.

Instead they replaced him with a manager 10% the talent and now are probably getting relegated. Not that it bothers me too much, be funny if they went down.

He didn't.

The players were still behind him and could see what he was trying to achieve, but the hatred from the fans due to their poor form and his history with Liverpool (he's still commonly referred to as FSW by them) created a toxic atmosphere at Goodison, and for that reason he was never going to be given the time to turn it round and his position became untenable.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Wurzel said:

I'd love to see them drop.

Aren't they the only team that has never been relegated (or only ever played in) the top flight?

Edit: Answers own question - no that's Arsenal

Actually Arsenal have been relegated. What they do hold as a record though is as the only team currently in the top division that wasn't promoted. They bribed their way to election to the first division after WW1

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Sheaf Saint said:

He didn't.

The players were still behind him and could see what he was trying to achieve, but the hatred from the fans due to their poor form and his history with Liverpool (he's still commonly referred to as FSW by them) created a toxic atmosphere at Goodison, and for that reason he was never going to be given the time to turn it round and his position became untenable.

He certainly lost some elements of the dressing room. Him and Digne had a bust up causing him to leave in Jan, for instance. Also some of Richarlisons comments regarding James seem like he wasn't Rafas biggest fan.

Losing the fans was a big blow though, I agree.

Edited by TWar

5 hours ago, Wade Garrett said:

I remember when Everton beat Wimbledon 3-2 to stay up in the 80s.  Graeme Stuart scored the winner, a 20 yarder that beat Hans Segers and barely reached the back of the net.

Very suspect.  I would be delighted if they were relegated.    Don’t think the brown envelopes can save them this season.

Was beginning to think I'm older than I let on, but it was definitely 1994. Same final day where we guaranteed safety with 3-3 draw at the Boleyn

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Wade Garrett said:

Mid 90's wasnt it????

Wimbledon were 2-0 at one point, I am sure?

Edited by AlexLaw76

15 hours ago, Kenilworthy said:

Actually Arsenal have been relegated. What they do hold as a record though is as the only team currently in the top division that wasn't promoted. They bribed their way to election to the first division after WW1

Ah that's it.

Wouldn't put it past Everton to attempt some bribery if it's needed to stay up. That last day survival game against Wimbledon back in the 90s looked well

dodgey.

14 hours ago, TWar said:

He certainly lost some elements of the dressing room. Him and Digne had a bust up causing him to leave in Jan, for instance. Also some of Richarlisons comments regarding James seem like he wasn't Rafas biggest fan.

The Digne situation was a weird one, but that wasn't the sole reason he left. They are in deep financial trouble and they needed to raise funds to make some additions in January, so he probably would have gone even if he hadn't fallen out with Benitez. Just a shame from their perspective they spunked those funds on Alli who has contributed literally nothing of note so far.

13 minutes ago, Sheaf Saint said:

The Digne situation was a weird one, but that wasn't the sole reason he left. They are in deep financial trouble and they needed to raise funds to make some additions in January, so he probably would have gone even if he hadn't fallen out with Benitez. Just a shame from their perspective they spunked those funds on Alli who has contributed literally nothing of note so far.

I'll admit I thought Alli would do well here. Maybe Ralph would have done a better job of whipping him into shape but he looks abysmal so far. Bullet dodged.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Wade Garrett said:

You’re right of course.  Apologies, I am in my 50s and my brain has been addled by life in general and alcohol.

You talk like an old man yet you are still a slip of a lad at 50. Get a grip, life is out there and starts getting really interesting at 60!

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, Charlie Wayman said:

Ralph seemed a bit tetchy at his latest PC, wonder what upset him? No homework yet on Watford, what's going on?

The Watford press conference was mere minutes after the Newcastle match finished. They would have been focused on Newcastle and would then be looking at Watford the next day. It isn't unusual.

Having looked like he was making serious and sustained progress and momentum, three defeats, two at home, 8 conceded and 2 scored, all to teams lower in the table. More concerning still, Gerrard, Howe and Hodgson seem to have taken Ralph to the cleaners tactically too. Not sure what Smallbone in the 10 role today was all about. AA had a decent cameo Thursday but not used today. Random Ralph is back. Telling the media we only needed a couple of additions in the summer might not have been the best idea to stave off complacency and retain squad hunger.

• Like 2

On 09/03/2022 at 19:20, TWar said:

SO he lost one player :lol: 

This is how it works, if Everton had got off to a good start they'd have soon forgotten all about his Liverpool history. Bloody hell, the skates soon forgave Redknapp when he went back there. He did a poor job, however much you like to pretend otherwise. It wasn't because he had a few injuries or because he lost the dressing, which is clearly untrue. He just isn't that great anymore, hence why he last jobs have Newcastle, china and Everton.

WTF!? We're top half and in the cup QF.

Despite yet another summer where we had to sell before we could buy, including our top scorer for the last three years and best CB (of an awful bunch). Whilst teams around us in the table have spent £30m plus on at least one player, we're still shopping around in the £15m bargain bin with the likes of Norwich and Burnley. We've managed to take a step forward from last season despite replacing some of our best players with a couple of kids from Chelsea, a Championship striker and a LB from France. Everton are asked to go one season where they can't splurge £100m on new players and boom - immediate relegation fight. Leeds lose two of their better players to injury and they're down there too.

Honestly, where do you guys want/expect to be under these kind of operating constraints?

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, Lighthouse said:

Despite yet another summer where we had to sell before we could buy, including our top scorer for the last three years and best CB (of an awful bunch). Whilst teams around us in the table have spent £30m plus on at least one player, we're still shopping around in the £15m bargain bin with the likes of Norwich and Burnley. We've managed to take a step forward from last season despite replacing some of our best players with a couple of kids from Chelsea, a Championship striker and a LB from France. Everton are asked to go one season where they can't splurge £100m on new players and boom - immediate relegation fight. Leeds lose two of their better players to injury and they're down there too.

Honestly, where do you guys want/expect to be under these kind of operating constraints?

What I want, is a/the manager, to play an attacking team against the second from bottom club, at home. Instead, the tinker man plays one up front…..criminal. Yes, we are not the richest, but we have to match the more talented teams with endeavour, sadly missing yesterday.

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, Lighthouse said:

Precisely. The problem is that people's expectations and standards move too easily and generally from one extreme to the other. When we win or go on a run we must perform like this forever. When we lose or go on a bad run we are the worst in the world and everything is bad. 

IF at the start of the season we had been told that after 29 games we'd be top 10, no where near relegation danger and in the FA Cup QF, the vast majority would be very content with that. 

Of course we always want more but the over reactions to one or two matches rather than taking the overall perspective on the season is frustrating ro read!!!

This is a reasonable season so far, one that has seen development of individuals and of the team as a whole. Progress. We also have some (potentially) brilliant progress and change off the pitch. 

It "could" still be an awesome season if we somehow win the cup (unlikely but possible). 

Judge the season and Ralph as a whole. 

16 minutes ago, Lighthouse said:

Despite yet another summer where we had to sell before we could buy, including our top scorer for the last three years and best CB (of an awful bunch). Whilst teams around us in the table have spent £30m plus on at least one player, we're still shopping around in the £15m bargain bin with the likes of Norwich and Burnley.

This is just Like a post from 2016/17 in the Puel thread. 

22 minutes ago, Turkish said:

SO he lost one player :lol: 

This is how it works, if Everton had got off to a good start they'd have soon forgotten all about his Liverpool history. Bloody hell, the skates soon forgave Redknapp when he went back there. He did a poor job, however much you like to pretend otherwise. It wasn't because he had a few injuries or because he lost the dressing, which is clearly untrue. He just isn't that great anymore, hence why he last jobs have Newcastle, china and Everton.

This was over 5 days ago? Why have you come back to this to argue?

17 minutes ago, Lighthouse said:

I get what you are saying, and 100% agree I would have snapped your hand off to be in the position we are in. I just feel that with the three games we have lost, we really missed a chance to push on. After Thursday's game it was imperative that we win yesterday. I have no idea what Ralph was trying to do by playing Smallbone in that role. It didn't work at all. In fact, by hauling him off at half time, probably did him more harm than good. The whole team and game felt flat yesterday, I know Ralph can't do much about the calamity error for the first goal, but it just seemed tactically he was just trying to be too clever again. Watford aren't the greatest at the back, and to be fair, yesterday they didn't need to be. 

1 hour ago, TWar said:

This was over 5 days ago? Why have you come back to this to argue?

I've been busy having a life mate, nice to see that you were still dripping on in your wierd defence of a failing manager who doesn't even know you exist.

8 minutes ago, Turkish said:

I've been busy having a life mate, nice to see that you were still dripping on in your wierd defence of a failing manager who doesn't even know you exist.

Do you only say positive things about those who you think will do something for you? What a weird transactional way to live.

And clearly not too busy a life to dredge up long finished conversations to start arguments on the internet.

1 hour ago, Lee On Solent Saint said:

I get what you are saying, and 100% agree I would have snapped your hand off to be in the position we are in. I just feel that with the three games we have lost, we really missed a chance to push on. After Thursday's game it was imperative that we win yesterday. I have no idea what Ralph was trying to do by playing Smallbone in that role. It didn't work at all. In fact, by hauling him off at half time, probably did him more harm than good. The whole team and game felt flat yesterday, I know Ralph can't do much about the calamity error for the first goal, but it just seemed tactically he was just trying to be too clever again. Watford aren't the greatest at the back, and to be fair, yesterday they didn't need to be. 

That's just football though, it's the same for everyone. We wouldn't expect to be unbeaten in 9 games against Man City, United, Spurs and West Ham this season but we are. These blips and results happen to pretty much every club, every season. Even when we got promoted from the Championship we took 1 point from 6 games, against Bristol City, Blackpool and Leicester.

37 minutes ago, Lighthouse said:

That's just football though, it's the same for everyone. We wouldn't expect to be unbeaten in 9 games against Man City, United, Spurs and West Ham this season but we are. These blips and results happen to pretty much every club, every season. Even when we got promoted from the Championship we took 1 point from 6 games, against Bristol City, Blackpool and Leicester.

There's more to it than that. I don't expect to win every game but I expect our team to try to do so. I expect our manager to always put out his best team too. On Sunday he fiddled with a winning formula and has allowed what faith I had in his abilities to slip back. I though he had learnt, but no.

3 hours ago, Lighthouse said:

I expect more than zero points in two home games against Newcastle and Watford and an away match at Villa regardless of who our manager is.

• Like 3

3 hours ago, Gingeletiss said:

the tinker man plays one up front…..criminal

Most of the Saintsweb intelligentsia were concurring with his formation switch in the pre-match thread yesterday.... "great to see Ralph trying something different etc etc" was the prevailing view.

I guess the phrase I'm looking for is: Damned if he does, damned if he doesn't

#saintsweblogic

Edited by trousers
  • Like 2

57 minutes ago, Whitey Grandad said:

There's more to it than that. I don't expect to win every game but I expect our team to try to do so. I expect our manager to always put out his best team too. On Sunday he fiddled with a winning formula and has allowed what faith I had in his abilities to slip back. I though he had learnt, but no.

We did try, what makes you think we didn’t? After two defeats Ralph had apparently, "been figured out," so he decided to try a slightly different approach. In the second half we reverted to our so called best team, Broja came in and nothing happened.

12 minutes ago, Teddeer said:

I expect more than zero points in two home games against Newcastle and Watford and an away match at Villa regardless of who our manager is.

As I said to someone else, do you expect to be undefeated against United and City and to win at Spurs and West Ham? Everyone expects to beat Watford and yet here they are with wins against Everton, Man United, Norwich and they beat Villa home and away.

• Like 2

There is certainly a degree of overreaction here. 

Villa have a really exciting side, especially going forward with some top, top players in thier front 3/4 that we could only dream of. 

Newcastle have vastly improved since Howe came in. He’s a decent coach who’s doing a wonderful job at completely changing the way they play. On current form they look like a top 6 side rather than a team heading for relegation as they did before Howe. 

Hodgson is an experienced manager who’s been there and seen it all. Sets his team up to play in a way which we always struggle.

The performance wasn’t great and from what I’ve seen, the trend seems to be if Broja is playing well, then so do we. If he’s off it, then we struggle. Such is the quality and importance of him. It reminds me of Ings in 2020, as soon as his productivity dropped off, so did our results. 

I see no point in calling for the manager at this point in the season, baring another 9-0 loss (which wouldnt actually surprise me).

Full focus on the cup, use the rest of the league season to work out who we do and don’t want to be here next season.. starting with the keeper. 

Edited by Dman
  • Like 1

18 minutes ago, Lighthouse said:

We did try, what makes you think we didn’t? After two defeats Ralph had apparently, "been figured out," so he decided to try a slightly different approach. In the second half we reverted to our so called best team, Broja came in and nothing happened.

As I said to someone else, do you expect to be undefeated against United and City and to win at Spurs and West Ham? Everyone expects to beat Watford and yet here they are with wins against Everton, Man United, Norwich and they beat Villa home and away.

Indeed. If we'd lost to Man City, Man Utd, Spurs and West Ham and got 6 - 9 points from our last 3 games vs Villa, Newcastle and Watford then I doubt certain people would be as doomladen as they are today.  (Yes, of course, there's a chance that these last 3 defeats could be the start of a dreadful run of form, which would be cause for concern, but we don't know that yet...)

Edited by trousers

I had a feeling this thread would be bounced again. 

We are an extreme team, we drift from highs to lows very quickly and without better players that's how it will be as consistency will drift, we are the description of a mid-table team. I'm not sure what the expectations are, because we were never going to get anywhere near Europe.

Overall this season has been good so far, for the squad and level of players we have. We don't have any world beaters. I'm looking forward to the summer because I'm hoping that we'll have a bit more flexibility to move in on additions without having to plot what we sell first, and that will hopefully lead to an extra bit of quality coming into the building to enhance what we have.

I think you can see that Ralph has benefited from having more of 'his players' in the building this year, but let's not kid ourselves we're all of a sudden a top 6 team as we are absolutely light years away quality wise.

Edited by S-Clarke
  • Like 3

2 hours ago, TWar said:

Do you only say positive things about those who you think will do something for you? What a weird transactional way to live.

And clearly not too busy a life to dredge up long finished conversations to start arguments on the internet.

Launching repeated passionate defences, despite all the evidence to contry of someone who does know you exist or laughing at that persons pig headedness which one is a weirder was to live?

17 minutes ago, Turkish said:

Launching repeated passionate defences, despite all the evidence to contry of someone who does know you exist or laughing at that persons pig headedness which one is a weirder was to live?

I discussed the quality of a football manager on a football forum.

1 hour ago, S-Clarke said:

I had a feeling this thread would be bounced again. 

We are an extreme team, we drift from highs to lows very quickly and without better players that's how it will be as consistency will drift, we are the description of a mid-table team. I'm not sure what the expectations are, because we were never going to get anywhere near Europe.

Overall this season has been good so far, for the squad and level of players we have. We don't have any world beaters. I'm looking forward to the summer because I'm hoping that we'll have a bit more flexibility to move in on additions without having to plot what we sell first, and that will hopefully lead to an extra bit of quality coming into the building to enhance what we have.

I think you can see that Ralph has benefited from having more of 'his players' in the building this year, but let's not kid ourselves we're all of a sudden a top 6 team as we are absolutely light years away quality wise.

Thanks - I couldn’t be arsed.

• Lighthouse changed the title to Ralph Hasenhuttl